“Just as good as many hotels”
Review of Monarch Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawthorne
Monarch Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hawthorne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Not ever having slept in a motel in the USA and hearing a lot of bad things about them we were very reluctant to book a room at this place. Even more because it does not have a website and the only way to make a reservation is by phone. But, as we wanted to stay in this "through town" because of its ideal position on our route and the owner directing us to the tripadvisor website, where we already found this motel, we decided to take a chance. And luckily, we were not let down by it.
First of all, the motel looks like it has been renovated not too long ago. As well from the outside as from the inside, except for some parts of the furniture. We chose a king size room for $ 65,- (queen size is $ 55,-).
First surprise was the electronic room key (with which I don't mean the common key cards), an indication of all the modern comfort this motel has to offer. The room was rather big, clean and had all the equipment you could wish for: refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and a brand new tv. The bed was of good quality and had white and probably rather new linnen on it. And there's nothing to complain about the bathroom either. Shampoo, soap and lotion are all there, as well as two big and four smaller bright white and fresh thick towels. As for surrounding noise there is little, but naturally you can hear the sound of your neighbours leaving and the few cars and trucks passing by on the main road. I'm sure that goes for every accomodation in Hawthorne because they're all alongside the 95 highway and there's no fancy and solidly built hotel in this town.
This being a motel they don't serve breakfast, but there are several food marts at gas stations around, one within walking distance, and a large supermarket at the Nothern entrance of town. There are also some restaurants in town but don't expect too much of them.
The speed of the free wifi in the room is ok, but sometimes the connection fades away. Very convenient are the two new washing machines and dryers that are within a few meters of your room (8 quarters to use). Service at the front desk is very good and they were very polite and understanding answering all my questions.
I am not sure about the exact difference between a hotel and a motel, but this place was far better than some hotels we stayed. And if you're comparing this with the El Capitan "Lodge", I would definately recommend choosing Monarch motel, because EC actually is a motel as well and looked like it needed the renovation Monarch motel already had done.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joris B

Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I had read the previous ratings and decided to overnight. We have a service dog for my wife and were charged a non-refundable clean-up fee!!! The room charge is similar to Marriot or Hilton over a hundred dollars per night, probably the most expensive in town. On the other hand the room had a kitchenette which if you wanted indoor camping and were prepared, you could cook your own meals. That is if you had the utensils, pots, pans and dishes, silverware, etc. The room was nicely remodeled and redecorated. The bedside wall mounted lamps are florescent and quite brite, only one was needed and it was too bright for the other person to sleep. Opaque shades would make a big difference. We clean up after our dog like a responsible people should. However across the back of the motel property were dozens of dog feces.

Room Tip: Its off the main highway so slight traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

After living in Hawthorne twenty years and knowing the businesses. The owner of Monarch took an older motel and turned it into a very nice motel with modern and updated rooms. They were very clean, tastefully decorated including a comfortable bed. A microwave and refrigerator with freezer were much appreciated. Wi-Fi was very good. The staff and owner were very friendly, they showed concern for our comfort and needs during our three day visit there. We will definitely return for another stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley T
Reviewed 26 September 2013

When I arrived which was late, the lady at the front desk, didn't appear to speak English, but a little boy came out and helped until another lady arrived. Being dark outside I couldn't really tell the condition of the property, but appeared to be pretty nice. Once I got into my room, it was ok and just ok. It looks like it has had fresh paint lately, but nothing fancy, no frills.. The shower does not have any sort of soap dish or shelf to lay the soap on while showering, which I really didn't want to put the soap on the floor, so that was a hassle. The curtains wouldn't close all the way, so I had to slide the table up to hold them shut. The mattress on the bed, is the hardest mattress, I have ever tried to sleep on. I say tried, because that is exactly what I did, due to the mattress. For the age of this hotel, it is ok, but you better like to sleep on a board, because that is how bad this was. This hotel could use some updating on the rooms regarding, carpeting and furniture. Overall the room was clean, sheets were clean, bathroom was clean and there were no odors. I just can't score it any higher as I didn't get any sleep and that is why I stopped. Price is probably a fair rate for the area. Pretty quiet, no road noise apparent in room..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mgwds1
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The Monarch is in a quite part of town off the main highway, but along the main street. The staff was friendly and efficient, the room was quiet, cool, and clean, and the hotel was recently remodeled. There was no breakfast, but coffee can be brewed in the room. Wi-Fi was fast. We didn't use it, but the laundry was clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Friendly service, very clean (bathroom, kitchen area, sheets, etc.), quiet, newly remodeled inside and out. Definitely would stay again. Kitchen has nice size fridge, two burners, microwave, coffee pot, etc. Has small laundry mat and a few picnic tables. No pool.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank pamb62
Reviewed 21 July 2013

One of the nicest little motels I have ever stay in. From the pictures it look good and clear and WAS! Very pleasant check in and reservations/direct to motel. And the best, they have the thickest, clean smelling white towels I have ever had in a motel/hotel! ! !
Great job. . Highly recommend the Monarch Motel ! ! ! I will be back. . .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo