“A dump”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hawthorne
el mirag
“A dump”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Advertised as a "casino resort" is a blatant misinterpretation. There is no resort...the "lodge" is across the street and is one of the worst places I have been. The swimming is non functional, TV's are old digitalis, rooms smell, soap was left in the tub, no updates have been made in years...except they do have a very good wifi. I made the reservation as described as a resort casino. Sounded nice, won't do that again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank critter186

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My wife & I stopped here for lunch at their coffee shop. Had a very good waitress and the food was pretty good. I had a chicken sandwich, and my wife had a french dip. Service was a little slow, but they were very busy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Smollder
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at El Capitan 3 nights, mid October 2013. Maybe the scorching negative reviews had some positive effect. My room was simple and clean - towels, sheets, etc. The coffee maker, TV, and heater all worked and the little coffee packets were resupplied. The walls are a bit thin, I could hear showers coming on in the morning. I was part of a group of geologists ~20 that stayed there, no one was heard to complain about lodging. We had realistic expectations, it's middle of western Nevada, I got the average lodging that I expected.

Room Tip: I stayed in 208, faces the street, but it's not busy at night. It's Hawthorne.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BukitCullen
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

You don't want to stay here. The carpets looked like someone changed their oil on them. I don't think they were cleaned since General Custer lost at the Little Big Horn. The air conditioner rattled, the so-called drapes were ready to fall off. The 19" TV was hardly viewable. The little refrigerator had been left open for some time. It was totally frosted over inside and the door wouldn't close. The ice machine was located in the office. You had to walk across the parking lot to get ice. This place is a absolute disaster. I say again don't stay here, try a different motel or keep driving to another town.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Howard M
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This place makes me embarrassed to say that I’m a Hawthorne native – born, raised & educated there. Left 50 years ago upon graduating from High School. Was back in town this week for Armed Forces Day 2013 and made the mistake of staying here. To say it’s dirty & filthy is an understatement. The entry door (knob, casing & surround) were beyond filthy and made me want to wash my hands anytime I entered or left the room. Carpet dirty and torn. Furnishings were gaudy when new in the 1960s – they haven’t been changed, updated or repaired in past 50 years -- now gaudy, dirty and in disrepair. If you enjoy staying in a dirty room, being awakened in pre-dawn hours by drunks yelling & fighting outside your room, then this is definitely the place for you. I’m sure this place is a “cash cow” for the owners, but this place is the pits and needs to razed.

Room Tip: If you want a "good room" ...... stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
10 Thank Frapha
Fernley, Nevada
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Our room was not clean. When we checked in the beds was not made we had to call them and all they did was come in and made the beds. They did not clean at all. We had hair in the tub abd floor in the bathroom. I called them and all they said was more or less to bad. People think this is the only place to stay but it is not. Three other Hotels in town and you can bet next year I will stay in one of them. Hotle is very old and they do not put money into it. They don't really care about the people that stay in there rooms.All they want is the money. And don't even try the Casino to eat. This is a disgusting hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are bad
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Arleen M
Bay Area
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We're into motorcycle touring and Hawthorne just happens to be a good distance for stop-over travel to other locations, As a result, we've stopped at El Capitan several times over the past 10 years. Never again. I've stayed at a lot of remote locations, I'm not real picky and I understand that businesses sometimes struggle financially. But lack of money doesn't mean it has to be a garbage dump. Plastic beer cups, cig butts and trash were untouched on the walkways and stairs in front of the rooms even though I saw at least 6 employees walk right by several times on both days. Paint is peeling off the exterior, pool is empty and locked. Could be an "absentee owner" Who else would allow their business to disintegrate before their eyes?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank jmcgilroy

Been to Travelodge Hawthorne? Share your experiences!