“Not worth it in winter, but quiet and relaxing overall”

The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We chose to stay here away from the strip as a relaxing getaway/spa retreat. The views are stunning, the fireplaces are great, and it was quiet. But other than that, I was unimpressed. The resort fee (charged daily per room) gets you nothing during the winter, as one of the pools is closed, it is too cold to use many of the ammenities, and it is just dead around there. The beds are typical hotel beds--pretty hard (not "Heavenly"), but the pillows and comforter make up for it. The two restaurants (Rick's Cafe and Marssa) are closed for dinner on Sundays, only offer expensive breakfast buffets on weekends, and the food options in general are fairly limited. Nothing is open for lunch (the cafe by the pool is closed for the season). We ended up bringing our own breakfasts, buying sandwiches from Marakesh Express everyday for lunch and for dinner we left the resort most of the time. Dinner at Marssa was fantasic when we did go once. And the martinis/specialty drinks in Arabesque lounge are wonderful (if a bit overpriced). The menu at Arabesque is the same as Rick's Cafe--try the camembert appetizer.
Know that the shuttle to the strip only leaves every 3-4 hours and you must have reservations. It drops you at the Westin just off the strip. It takes about 45 min to get down there. It was a bit of a hassle, but if you stay for awhile would be worth it.
I went stand-up paddleboarding which was wonderful--but it is separate from the hotel activities (it was $40/hr, or $30 if you have done SUP before and say you are "local" and then every time after that is $20 for an hour)
My biggest compliant is the spa--for a resort that has "spa" in its name--this was severly lacking. They have a small sauna, three showers, minimal "relaxation" area. The aestetician was gone for all five days we were there, so only massages were available. The girl who was our server from Marssa checked us in (which was actually pretty funny; they are light on staff during this time--she is sweet though). The prices are steep, but I knew to expect that. However, the massage here was the worst I have ever received--I think I have serious bruises from the "relaxation" Swedish massage--even after repeated requests to let up on the pressure, the warrior kept digging into my bones like she thought they were knots. Thought my hip bones were something she had to "work on"--repeatedly. She had no idea what she was doing and at one point took me by the head and lifted me into a sitting position. Lifted me by my head/neck! I think I just heard my chiropractor scream from 300 miles away... And then--they charge you an automatic service charge. They tipped her way more than I would have and it isn't optional. Not a good experience and the spa was the reason I chose this hotel.
Since I want to end on a positive note, I will say: The staff at the front desk and valet are very kind and helpful. I loved the Marakesh Express food/coffee and the staff there were by far the highlight of the people I met. The scenery is gorgeous, this was a very quiet getaway, and I was able to relax.

Room Tip: Get a view of the lake if you can, on at least the 7th floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Julie F
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. We do regret if you encountered any inconveniences with our resort fee. Please keep in mind that this small charge covers a wide range of amenities from unlimited use of our Westin Workout to self-parking. Furthermore, we truly regret to learn that your experience in our Spa Moulay was less than satisfactory. Your experience does not reflect the high standards that we've set and we will be using your review as a training opportunity. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you encountered at this time. Our upper pool will be re-opening in January, as well as the Casino Montelago. We hope you'll have the opportunity to visit with us again.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Fabulous hotel and venue for my nephew's wedding. First time for me at a destination wedding and there could not have been a better place. The great outdoor setting by the side of the beautiful lake, the comfortable rooms and good restaurant, added to the experience. Also an excellent break after a couple of days at the hectic Strip!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the lake and venue for weddings, it is breathtaking especially as dawn...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jaya30
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

It was a wonderful wedding and we are truly honored to have been a part of such a momentous occasion! Thank you for sharing your lovely and warm remarks regarding your experience here at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. No matter the occasion, we hope you'll visit us again soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The view of the lake as you walk into this hotel is very stunning. There is outdoor seating and a firepit to sit by at night. The only complaint we had was there was no refrigerator in the room, which the front desk apologized for and knocked some off of our bill. Again, you have to watch the additional charges for water and the $25 a day fees charges for internet and anything else they could add. After spending a day on the strip, it was nice to come back to a room with peace and quiet.

1  Thank Barb47MN
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are more than happy to know that our accommodations met your approval. We'd like to apologize once again for any inconveniences that you experienced with our amenities and hope you’ll visit The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa sometime in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I spend 2 days in November at this location. We are Las Vegas regular and I was my first try in Lake Las Vegas. I wanted something different than an hotel on the strip.
The Westin is the farthest hotels in Lake Las Vegas with plenty of free parking. The view with this artificial lake is wonderful and the pool/beach setup is well appointed.

The hotel is very clean, well maintained, quiet and our room was nice beside they have old furnitures that doesn't really fit the look of the hotel and the Westin brand.
We asked for a lakeview rooms and didn't regret it beside they don't have any balcony (Except first level, lakeview)

Even the hotel is nice, I don't think we will go back to Lake Las Vegas. The area is simply a dead area with the perfect example of a disastrous real estate crash in that area. The 'center' of attraction, call 'The Village' is a real dead area. On a Friday night at 7pm, we were of the few persons at the few remaining restaurants open at the village. Most of the stores went bankrupt and you have to feel the pain for these restaurants owner. This is simply the opposite of the crazyness of the Las Vegas Strip. The hotel and lake las Vegas is still a good 30-40 minutes drive from the Hotel.

Service was excellent during my two stay. .Breakfast buffet was well-price with a lot of nice options. Parking is free but they have an annoying 25$/day resort fee for free internet and whatever others things include that I wasn't aware.

Going back to Las Vegas, I will certainly consider returning to the strip for the next time instead of Lake Las Vegas. If you want action, this isn't the place. If you want peace from the crowd in Las Vegas, this is your place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

We are delighted that you had the opportunity to visit with us at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. Thank you for taking the time to share your warm remarks, as they are truly appreciated. We do regret to learn that you may not be returning in the future. While our resort offers a more relaxing experience than Las Vegas, we do wish to provide an enjoyable and fulfilling experience with our spa, pool areas and many water activities. We also provide a shuttle service to and from the Las Vegas entertainment. We hope you'll consider visiting with us again, as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Wanted to enjoy some peace and quiet away from work and the day to day. First night we wanted to stay on property to eat and have a glass of wine while enjoying the view. The only restaurant open on property is a sushi restaurant, not an option for my husband so we waited and waited in the lounge that serves tapas. A party of 14 sat in the lounge while my husband and I weren't even offered water or a menu, so we ended up eating off property. Day 2 a wedding was scheduled so there were loud and boisterous people partying before the nuptials destroying my quiet enjoyment of the upgraded view I paid extra for. No golf, as promised. It is a dog friendly hotel, so people let their pets bark and sit on the lounge furniture (I don't knock what you do at home but I don't expect it at a hotel). Relaxing it wasn't. The golf course is dead and the casino is closed down. Not something I would choose to do for a couples retreat, but I would consider bringing my kids here so they can add to the joyful noise of this property.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Though it is disappointing that we were not able to meet your expectations, we are grateful for your insightful review on our resort. I hope you'll accept my heartfelt apologies, on behalf of my staff, for any inconveniences or noise disruptions that you experienced during your getaway. We can understand your frustration and regret that we did not have the opportunity to rectify these concerns while you were still here. We only hope that you'll give us another try to fully impress you. Thank you.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

If you seek an alternative to the commercialism of the Vegas STRIP, this hotel is by far the best option. It features lake vistas, a sandy beach, kayaking, birds, and stunning patio seating with fireplaces and bucolic views. Often relatively empty of guests, the hotel has some glitches now and then in service due to understandably low staffing. My wife and I used this hotel as an easy jump-off for the genuinely scenic European "village" of Lake Las Vegas as well as for the Lake Mead paved bicycle trail (featured in the New York Times). The hotel is distant from the center of Las Vegas, so for many it would serve better as a worthy destination in its own right. This facility surpasses the Hilton on the same lake.

Room Tip: Was assigned lake view automatically without paying!
1  Thank Biernacki

We are thrilled we had the opportunity to welcome you to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. Thank you for taking the time to share your warm and generous remarks regarding our property. It seems like you and your wife enjoyed quite the trip! The next time you plan a getaway, we hope you'll think of us again.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was a beautiful property. The staff was very attentive, and the room was very nice. The bedding was exceptionally fresh and beautiful. We chose not to stay on the Las Vegas Strip, because we had points of interest to visit, and wanted to be in the other direction.

It was about a 20 minute drive into Las Vegas, and we did not mind this. The only downside to our trip was the food at the hotel. It just was not very good. It was presented very nicely, but not cooked well. We really wanted to avoid returning to the restaurant, but the area was fairly isolated, and a quick alternative just did not seem to be there. In 5 days we had two light meals, and called room service once for an evening snack. The food was not good.

Room Tip: The main floor of the hotel is #4 because it is built into a hill. Restaurants, spa etc. were on th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for letting us know of your experience. We are truly saddened to learn that our food did not live up to your expectations. We strive to provide the best quality and service for our guests and can assure you that your comments are highly valued. We will pass your review along to restaurant management so we can improve in this area. We hope you'll allow us another chance to impress you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
The Mirage Hotel & Casino
#48 of 263 in Las Vegas
Signature at MGM Grand
#11 of 263 in Las Vegas
The Strip
The Westin Las Vegas Hotel & Spa
Summerlin
Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!