“Good place to stay, if you're on tight budget. It's a reflexion on the price.”

Railroad Pass Hotel & Casino
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Henderson
“Good place to stay, if you're on tight budget. It's a reflexion on the price.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

I paid 42 plus tax( trucker's discount. At first glance, room looks fine and clean. But when I pay attention to details is a different story. The bathroom is roomy, no bathtub. There is one cup coffee maker, hair dryer, iron (no ironing board), alarm clock, old RCA tv. I guess I either had noisy neighbors or the wall insulation is too thin. There was a hint of a smell that can not pin point.

On the possitive side. I paid a half decent price. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Bayunco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Fresno, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Contrary to another review, there is a whole floor of nonsmoking rooms. The rooms are clean. The casino is historic. It is the longest running casino in Nevada. There is a 35-mile bike trail right behind the casino that is off-limits to cars. Bring your bicycle. The casino is very friendly to cyclists and we appreciate it!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mikethern
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

This MGM Chain Hotel Is Near The Las Vegas Strip, Lake Mead,And Hoover Dam but Far Enough Relax. It Has 3 Restaurants, Free Wi-Fi, No Resort Fee's, Pet Friendly, Large Parking Lot For Trucks, Rv's, And Your Boat[Lake Mead Is Close By]. They Have Regular Rooms[Very Nice]-Mini Suites, and Luxory Suites.The Zip Line Is Close By. We Travel A Lot And The Staff Is A A+- This Historical Hotel Is The Best Affordable We Could Find In Las MGM Bought It, They Brought There Wonderful Management Team And Did Remodeling.

Room Tip: Were Else Can You Get A Hotel Room For $45 + With All There Amenites?
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BANYANGUY1
RailroadPass, Director of Marketing at Railroad Pass Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It is nice to know that we have achieved our goals of providing clean, affordable rooms and friendly service to our guests. I will make sure to share this with our staff.

Keith McDonald
Director of Marketing
Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

I booked this on priceline and asked for smokefree room. When checking in (late at night after a long day of traveling) I confirmed that it was a smoke free room. She smugly looked at me and said they are ALL smoking rooms, your room should not smell but if it does, call and we will send someone up to spray something. "REALLY?" Needless to say I did not get much rest as I could not sleep it reaked so much and was wondering if I was getting bed bugs. The hair dryer did not work and when I checked out with a different gal I told her "I am not sure if you area already aware, but the hair dryer does not work!" She also smugly looked at me and said "she would make a note of it!" DO NOT STAY HERE, until you hear under new management and torn down and rebuilt because that is the ONLY thing that will save this dumpster.

Room Tip: Take the extra efferent and drive another 1/2 hour, better choices.
2 Thank Journeyone1
RailroadPass, Director of Marketing at Railroad Pass Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay. We strive to make sure that our hotel rooms are clean and that everything works correctly. Although we are an older propery, there is no excuse to have received the service and responses you claim to have received. We would appreciate a phone call during which we can get more details so we can correct problems and get it right next time. Please call us at (800) 654-0877 and ask for me, Keith McDonald, or John Gronowski, our hotel manager.
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is as "old Vegas" as it gets. Small pool, Simple rooms, low limit games, local band at the casino bar. Very simple place with a surprisingly good resturant/coffee shop. A bit of a truckers haven with a huge parking lot. The "Pass" as it is called, is on the very edge of Boulder City, NV, the home of Hoover Dam. It is the oldest continuously operated casino in Nevada.

Stayed there in a mini-suite that was very clean and comfortable, had a small fridge and enough room without being oversized.

2 Thank kmtravel06
Reno, NV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Friendly, helpful staff, nice large rooms, very good price
The main area leading to the restaurant could use a good
shampooing and some Febreze, but we weren't there for
long and had a good night's sleep, a good dinner and
breakfast - both reasonably priced, and are now ready
to go to our next destination. I always welcome free
wi-fi and free parking. There are no bellboys, but there
are the rolling clothes/luggage racks and we used one
which made it quite do-able.

Room Tip: There is no room service. Get a room on level 4 as the first two levels are for smokers. We figu...
1 Thank Nevadatraveler1
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I wanted to give this place a glowing recommendation based on the fact that the staff here are so fantastic, so personal and friendly, and so down-to-earth that I wanted to make this my own personal spot to stay whenever I'm in town. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it to anyone unless they are not needing a room for the night.

The prices are great, the location is much better than the strip if you've already seen Vegas and are growing tired of the hyper-consumerism at every turn, and the food is fantastic, both from the menu and from the buffet, but let's face it... this is a very old hotel and it could use a little work.

At first glance, there was a crack in the door that allowed anyone in the hall to actually look into the room. That didn't bother me too much because I don't care all that much about privacy when I'm on a business trip, but some people might want to ask for a different room. Fortunately, the other rooms were not like that. I didn't ask for another one.

After opening the door I was disheartened by the smell. I euphemistically call this the "established" smell of older hotels and it can be expected, especially when you ask for a "smoking" room that is no doubt less pleasant to the nose than a non-smoking room, but there was also a slight scent of mold in the air that wafted through the "established" aroma and it made me take a closer look at what we were dealing with here. I'm certain that I would have steam cleaned the carpets if I were to even think about renting it out to anyone, and a little air freshener would have also been in order.

The TV cable was loose behind the TV which led to poor reception, and I was going to replace it myself but I forgot to pick one up when I was in town. Even though it was late when I called the desk, the hotel engineer was available to take care of this for me, and he put a brand new one on and the TV reception was fine after that. In the meantime I watched a show on my laptop which downloaded very quickly because the free internet connection was strong and fast. This is a big plus for me because I absolutely hate it when the big hotel chains try to charge you an arm and a leg for internet when you've already paid an arm and a leg for their rooms. Score again for the hospitality of the Railroad Pass Hotel.

But, alas, it was late and I needed to get some sleep before the convention in the morning. The room was quiet, even with the window opened all the way to let in the evening breeze. I pulled down the covers and stood there in my underwear for a long time trying to decide what to do. Both the mattress and the box spring had been encased in plastic coverings, which might be good if you happen to be hyper-allergenic or have a serious problem with bed-wetting, but I have neither of those conditions and all I wanted was some sleep. Even with a sheet over a vinyl covering, a bed can be very uncomfortable and sweaty to sleep on.

At this point I had to draw some conclusions. It seemed to me that the hotel was either trying to treat or prevent an infestation of vermin, the kind you most don't want to see in a hotel room. The kind you really don't want to sleep very close to. A friend was staying in a room several doors down and I checked to see if the other beds also had vinyl coverings on them, but when I discovered that they did not... well I drew my own conclusions and slept in the car.

I thought about walking out to the car in my underwear just to create a scene, but, as I said, I really like the people who work here and I wanted to see them prosper, at least enough to afford some new mattresses and a steam cleaner. Although this hotel is very old, it could very well be one of the best... someday...after a little more work.

Room Tip: Choose a non-smoking room. Inspect the room and ask for another one if it is not satisfactory.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Scott T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Fiesta Henderson Casino Hotel
#5 of 8 in Boulder City
Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Las Vegas/Henderson
BEST WESTERN PLUS Henderson Hotel
Hilton Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa

Been to Railroad Pass Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!