“Nice Surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Henderson
Carson City, Nevada
“Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Although I have passed this location on many occasions, this was my first opportunity to stop. I was very pleasantly surprised at the overall quality and atmosphere of this property. The check-in was effortless, the personnel I dealt with were very friendly, the room was clean and included everything that I would want - including FOX News on the TV. The price is right and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank J R W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
North Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I am a Vegas local who makes the trek clear across the Vegas Valley now and again to visit Railroad Pass Hotel and Casino at the pass that leads to Boulder City and the dam...I like to call it "Magic Mountain", but I guess I am a tad weird...We play a bit now and again and usually score enough comp points to get free grub (well we really earned it) at the casino restaurants...The Steakhouse at the Pass is their fine dining...Usually not crowded, we settle back and enjoy some good wine, an appetizer, our entrée and a yummy desert...Angie is our regular server and she is really tops for giving us superior service time and again...We always have way too much food and take a large amount home for more meals...I have had a bad steak a few times but last visit the Filet was excellent...My lady enjoyed her Surf and Turf combo...Huge baked potatoes and a large wet and dry blue cheese salad fill me up...If we were laying out cash it would be an expensive evening...As it is we just put up a 20% plus tip...The coffee shop here is super hit and miss and the buffet is really on the low brow side...But you will find some tasty tidbits now and again as you travel down the serving line...The best bet at Railroad Pass? It is the Steakhouse at the Pass...Yea, don't PASS up a good meal here...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Artie B
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stopped overnight here on a trip through to southern Arizona. The food and service were great, the facilities very good and the machines in the casino were in a generous mood. It wasn't a hotel, on the Vegas strip but worth the drive to the top of the hill to the south.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victor O
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

I walked in not sure of getting a room and they were very accomidating, especially since it was a Saturday and they were busy, I have stayed here before and will again if I ever go thru again, just great people and service.

Room Tip: Either side of the hotel is good , the front had the better view but the rooms are terrific
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Danelle R
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

First time I every used this hotel/casino was this past Friday, and it was for business. The hotel feels old, looks old, because it is old. If you want the modern feel and the hustle and bustle Vegas has to offer, head to the strip. You will not find it here. The rooms are dated, but comfortable and at nearly a third of what the strip will charge. The buffet rivaled many of the strip hotels, but was half the price.

One word of caution, the walls are paper thin and if we spoke Chinese we would have clearly understood the conversation next door.

The close proximity to Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam is really nice and you are but a 20 minute drive to downtown Las Vegas if you need your strip fix.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank dndholland62
Apple Valley, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

The staff I dealt with were really nice. The room was ok, looked to have a new sink and fixture, the shower faucet was unusual, it took a minute to figure it out, but then I was very tired. The mattresses were wrapped in plastic, so the sheets kind of slid around on the bed. The mattress was nice and firm, the way I like it. Overall it was ok, I would stay there again. I do have a couple complaints, the compressor in the air conditioner was loud when it first came on. It woke me up several times. The breakfast / brunch buffet, not so great. But for $7.00 I can't complain to much, but the scrambled eggs, pass them by. They do have a cook there to make omelets and waffles, I should have tried them instead of the pre made scrambled eggs, the bacon was good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Polaris_Roy
Brownsville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stayed one night here during the 4th of July Holiday period(2013). I have always wanted to visit this place because it is the longest running casino in Nevada with a rich history. The room was only $42 which is an extreme bargain during a holiday weekend. The hotel staff were fast and friendly. Check in took roughly two minutes. The room was basic but very clean. Immediately following check in, I hit the casino floor. I made a quick trip to the players club and signed up. A very nice gentleman with a long grey beard assisted me. He told me the history of the property and comped me a free future night's stay for joining the Player's Junction club which is free to join. This is the best sign up deal that I have seen in any casino. My favorite game is craps, so I immediately approached the craps table. To my surprise, the pass line minimum was only $1! Most casinos offer craps minimums between $5 and $25. I ended up playing for about 6 hours. The Craps Dealers were extremely friendly and entertaining. I had a blast. While I was playing craps, the pit boss issued me a $20 comp coupon for the hotel restaurant(Iron Rail Café). I used the comp the next morning at the café and the food was excellent(Omelette and Pancakes). The Railroad Pass is about a 20 minute drive from Las Vegas, but it is well worth it. The gaming value is phenomenal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Tobin L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Fiesta Henderson Casino Hotel
#5 of 8 in Boulder City
Boulder Dam Hotel
Boulder Dam Hotel
#1 of 8 in Boulder City

Been to Railroad Pass Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!