“family favorite!”

Sunset Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The Sunset Station is my family's favorite place to stay in the Henderson/Las Vegas area. It is in Henderson, well off of the strip, which is exactly the point for us. My family absolutely love this place. The rooms are nice and clean, we've stayed here probably 10+ times and have never encountered a problem. There are numerous choices for eating establishments and they have always been great. We enjoy the buffet, the café, fast food choices, the steakhouse, the Mexican cantina, and even the Hooters! Star Buck's, Ice cream, you name it! There is the Movie theatre, and we love the 76 lane Bowling Alley. The pool is wonderful and we've never found it too crowded. We usually get a cabana for the day when there as it is a must for us. My family is not used to the hot weather and sun so the advantage of having a shaded area to escape the sun is perfect. There is a small fridge with water, ceiling fan, telephone, TV, table & chairs, chaise loungers; perfect! We can even order food to be delivered poolside! Please note that the amenities charge is the norm in Las Vegas now. I agree that it is ridiculous, but I'd rather pay it here than anywhere else.
I referred my neighbors to the Sunset Station a few years ago as they go to the area 1-2 times a year, and they have thanked me so many times. It is their favorite place now too!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Adam S, Manager at Sunset Station Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for making Sunset Station your hotel of choice when visiting the Las Vegas area. Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope we will have the opportunity to serve you once again in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here one night after touring Hoover Dam, Lake Mead Recreational Park & Valley of Fire areas outside of Las Vegas. Check-in was pretty easy, had to wait as there was a line but the clerks worked promptly & efficiently. We did not use valet parking as we were on motorcycles, so we had to drive around the large parking lot to get to the hotel tower. There is no motorcycle parking here, and depending on how busy the Casino is, you might have to park your expensive machines by the busy street (NOT a good thing). We were fortunate enough to get a spot up front by sheer chance and met a wonderful security guard who patrols the parking lot on a bicycle.

Anyway, you have to show your room key to get to the elevators and to get the elevator to stop at your floor. Every employee we met was courteous and professional. We used the eStandby Room Upgrade Request to get a room that was guaranteed non-smoking (went from Deluxe King to a Junior Suite). It was a large room with a decent bathroom with 2 sinks, but just a regular tub/shower. The bed was very comfortable and having the couch and chairs was nice for sprawling out. We were at the end of the hallway, so noise was not a problem for us - but our view was a solid wall but we really didn't care about that.

The Casino part was okay - but really smelled the old smoke odors. Service in the restaurant and the bar area was okay - would've been nicer to have more prompt responses to drink refills and cocktail reorders. However, we got plenty of food that was pretty tasty. . Ate at the Grand Cafe for breakfast because the buffet didn't open until 8 am - food was the standard American fare and plenty of it - service was much better here than inside the Casino area.

Overall was an average stay in a junior suite at a mid-sized Casino which was clean and well kept. You do pay a $17 a night resort fee - and there is NO wifi included unless you pay for it. We stayed mid-week so the room prices were excellent in comparison with the Strip. I would stay here again without a problem.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for choosing Sunset Station Hotel and Casino. We are very pleased to hear your feedback and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visit LV a couple of times a year on our way to California or Arizona. Usually we stay on the strip however since the rates were so good and we were arriving on a late flight, we decided to try this hotel out.

Check-in at 11 at night was easy - no one else there. We were told we had been upgraded to a larger room but it was a "smoking optional" room a fancy name for a smoking room. Too tired and jet-lagged to protest, we took the room. The corridors on our floor smelled smoky but the room was way worse. It stunk of smoke. I went back down to the front desk. Turns out we were upgraded because they had nothing else left.

The front desk clerk was courteous and kind but explained that the hotel only guaranteed a room for the night - not whether it was smoking or not. Switched us to another smoking room which was marginally less smoky but still not great. By this time we were too tired to care. It seems strange that in this day and age, you can't be guaranteed a non-smoking room. In 10+ visits to other LV hotels we've always been able to get a non-smoking room.

Otherwise, the room was nice and also very quiet. I am not going to complain about the $17 surcharge - it's a way to keep rates look lower - all LV hotels play this game. Pretty soon, bills from hotels will look like car rental bills with all kinds of extra charges.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dogswood

Thank you for visiting Sunset Station Hotel and Casino while in the Las Vegas area. Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you had encountered during your stay.

If you would like to discuss your reservation in further detail, I can be reached directly at adam.simon@stationcasinos.com.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lots of teenagers on charter buses on organized (?) events out of control and no adults to be found once again.....lack of security anytime in the hotel room areas....used to get morning paper at door Monday thru Friday but no more....Service in Grand Café was not good! Telephoned to on call hotel manager due to running teenagers in the halls and was told she was already aware of the situation, however, she had not dealt with the problem. No Handicap access to the hotel entrance.....there are a dozen steps to climb and drag luggage, not ADA compliant! I was surprised to see so many children in the actual casino gaming areas-I thought this to be illegal. Staff, other than Grand Café was exceptional. Oh, and if it's windy forget about a good nights sleep as the wind howls through the leaky window glass. Not nearly as good as in the past. Something has changed at the Hotel with Management.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam S, Manager at Sunset Station Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for choosing Sunset Station Hotel and Casino as your place to stay during your visit to Las Vegas. We understand that you have many options available to you and appreciate your feedback.

Please allow me to sincerely apologize for any issues that you encountered during your visit. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your reservation in greater detail, I can be reached at adam.simon@stationcasinos.com.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We wanted to love this place, but we won't be coming back! We were in town for a work event and booked 5 rooms... Check-in was easy, staff was friendly... Casino was very clean and didn't reek of cigarette smoke... Rooms are very clean, and beds are very comfortable. We didn't hang out much since we were usually working all day, but our stay there was pleasant... That is until we get home and notice a $150.00 charge on our credit card a few days later. Apparently we had written on a painting that was hung up on the wall. What's funny about it is that I had actually mentioned to my fiancé that it looked like the F word was painted on there, but it was a graffiti style painting and wasn't too obvious, so we didn't pay it any mind. Although at the moment, I did think it would be weird to have that type of art in a hotel that I'm sure is frequented by families... We immediately contacted the hotel to try to resolve the issue, but their answer was that housekeeping had found the painting like that after we left, and that we would be responsible for paying it. We asked for proof, but never received it. To this day, they haven't told us what was written on there, or how they were sure that we did it, but I'm pretty sure it was the F word they were referring to. We asked for pictures, but we never heard back from them. We disputed the charge with our credit card company, and we ended up getting our money back because they didn't receive any proof or sufficient information either. We might have considered staying here again if the situation had been handled differently, but it was unpleasant enough to say we won't be coming back... Which is a bummer since we're in the area often, and this hotel is right by where we need to be... On another note, the Grand Café is great! Open 24 hours. Food is good, service is great/consistent, and prices are even better. Wasn't a fan of the buffet. The wait was ridiculous and the food was mediocre, but the price is good... Although they charged me for my 1 year old daughter... Oh and one more thing, this place is NOT near The Strip...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Corine G
Adam S, Manager at Sunset Station Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for choosing Sunset Station Hotel and Casino and please allow me to sincerely apologize for the handling of your situation.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your reservation in further detail, I can be reached at adam.simon@stationcasinos.com.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was our second visit to this property, with this visit being six nights. We were in town for a nearby event, and this hotel's location and additional amenities with the event made it the perfect choice. We stayed in a standard room last year, and this year we opted for the upsell to a junior suite. I don't think we'll do that again, since the only benefits we saw to this extra expense were a telephone in the bathroom, and a view of the employees' outside break area rather than the garbage dumpsters we saw last year. Through our entire stay, at various time of the day and night, employees on their smoking breaks would talk and laugh very loudly below our window. The room itself was very nice with a comfortable bed.
Inside of the property, the staff should be commended on their friendliness and professionalism. From the valet to the casino dealers, the housekeepers to the food court staff, everyone went above in their duties, always with a smile and greeting. We always enjoyed speaking with the security guards by the elevators to the room, and one was very helpful with a small issue using the room card in the elevator.
We tried the buffet restaurant one evening for dinner, and another morning for breakfast. We found we just didn't care for the quality of the food. During our previous visit, and again on this visit, we ate at the Grand Cafe, and were happy with the food, the cost and the service.
The many pros of this property definitely outweighed the few cons we encountered, and I'd like to think it was due to increased activity because of the local event.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rjburd

Thank you for choosing Sunset Station Hotel and Casino as your place to stay while visiting the Las Vegas area. We understand that there are many options available to you and we value your business and feedback.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Station while he was attending a seminar there. We are regular travelers to Las Vegas, but usually stay on the Strip since we own a timeshare there through Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs. The reservation was included in the cost of the seminar, so we stayed there. It was clean, but just average for a hotel. The pool was undergoing a remodeling project, and they had the entire area closed. I asked the security guard at the hotel elevator if there was anywhere to go to just sit in the sun, other than the parking lot, and, after some thought, said no, there is nowhere. Since we had a rental car, I drove around looking for a place, and ultimately ended up at Hoover Dam. Kind of disappointed that I had to leave the property to sit outside. The food was just average, and the slots were just as tight as any other casino. Overall, I probably would not stay here again. If I'm looking for a place "off strip", we'd stay at Sam's Town.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Adam S, Manager at Sunset Station Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you for choosing Sunset Station Hotel and Casino as your place to stay while visiting the Las Vegas area. We truly do value your business and your feedback.

I sincerely apologize for the pool deck being closed down while you were here. If you choose, you may contact me directly at adam.simon@stationcasinos.com so that we may discuss your reservation in further detial.