“Very enjoyable”

Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides
Ranked #15 of 22 Tours in Lake Tahoe (Nevada)
More attraction details
Owner description: The Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides is still a family operated business at the same location in South Lake Tahoe for over 42 years. Over the years, other locations have been used such as Squaw Creek & Northstar Resorts. Our 1 hour or 30 minute narrated sleigh ride travels along the Pony Express Trail then over the meadow and though the woods...to a spectacular view of Lake Tahoe. A picnic area, snow play area & pony rides are some of the addition activities. Hot drinks & souvenirs are also available.
Petaluma, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We booked a sleigh ride for Christmas Eve day, there was no snow, so we were offered a carriage ride instead. We had a private carriage and there were 5 of us total, including a 17 year old and 2 folks in their 80's. Everyone enjoyed the ride and our guide was great. I do not recall her name, but she was very familiar with the area and stopped along the way to explain things and take our picture. It was a fun time.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ptowngirlnow
deBorges, Manager at Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for the kind words. Such a tough year and we do try our best!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Never go back again - what a disappointment ?”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

When we read about the Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides on the brochure and their website." We will excited and after the ride today we were disappointed. The ride is so very slow even with a young horse of 6 years old. We were expecting a lot of fun and joy ride through the snow but I felt like the tour guide made the horse walk so slow so he can take up the 1 hr sleigh ride through a neighbourhood which is definitely not an hour - . a total of $250 for 5 pax is totally a waste of money and Felt CHEATED !

Visited December 2013
5 Thank randyteo
I am not sure why you did not mention to the office staff you dissatisfaction with you Sleigh Ride experience. We gladly would have try to be sure you left happy. The inadequate snow conditions & warm temperature this last winter was very difficult on our horses & drivers. My guess is that the driver was trying to keep the horse was working too hard and over heating. If you ever make it back to Tahoe. I hope you will stop by and ask for Dianna. I will see what I can do to make up for your last ride.
Santa Clarita, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Relax and enjoy the ride”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This was AMAZING! No snow, but our guide had been doing this on the mountain for 30 years. We didn't get her name but we nick named her the horse lady because she loved the horse and the wild horses in her front yard. =) She was AMAZING! Super friendly and full of interesting information about the town and the cabins. Don't let the bad reviews fool you. This was a quite, slow, beautiful, ride. If your expecting anything more than you might be disappointed, but I find expectations are disappointment in wait.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank ken14jc
Davis, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A good one-time experience”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I was looking for a new, memorable experience to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I made arrangements for a 1 hour private (2-person) tour. We showed up a few minutes early, paid, and waited until the prior tour finished. We were asked if we wanted hot chocolate. We said no. After standing a couple of minutes in the cold, we decided to take them up on their hot chocolate offer. The chocolate was warm but diluted, so it wasn't very satisfying. As we were given the drinks, we were also given a little book which was included as part of the entry fee. It made me wonder if we would have received it had we not take their hot chocolate. Odd really, considering the hot chocolate was complimentary.

The tour leader was friendly and knew his stuff, having been doing this for a few years. He was also taking his time, offering to take pictures for us, and stopping several places along the way. That was partly to rest the horse but partly to use up time. See, we didn't go anywhere beyond the field. We were constantly in view of the headquarters. The tour is basically the horse traversing back and forth through a field. Yes, the lake is always in view (sometimes you look ahead of you and sometimes you have to look behind you) but I thought it would actually go farther than the field.

As for the restroom, it was an port-a-potty. Not a big deal but I just wanted you all to know that it's not a standard bathroom.

Like I said, I was looking for a new experience, so this fit the bill. And, my wife enjoyed it, so I scored points there. I wouldn't do the sleigh ride again, but they do offer carriage rides in the non-winter months so I might try one of those next time.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Bballrun
Thank you. I am glad you had a good time. I will work on the office staff not scrimping of the Hot Chocolate!
Concord, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“RIP OFF”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My husband and I were excited when we read about Borges Sleigh and Carriage Rides online thinking it would be the perfect, romantic thing to do together on our anniversary since we chose Lake Tahoe for our anniversary weekend. On their website they claim that " Your Sleigh Ride adventure will take you over the meadow, through the woods to grandmother's house and to a peaceful place overlooking one of Lake Tahoe's most spectacular views." and then you'll pick up a souvenir to take home from grandmother's house. We got there and there was this guy standing outside the Embassy Suites. We paid him $40.00 for two and he only took us through a residential area and then turned around and came back to where we started off. He mostly talked about himself and his moving from Michigan to Lake Tahoe and how hard it is for him to make a living there. The ride is also soooo very slow and boring that my husband literally fell asleep...lol. We were expecting a fun ride through the snow to grandmother's house but I felt like the tour guide made the horse walk so slow so he can take up the 30min sleigh ride through a neighbourhood that you can cover in 2 mins if you were driving. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. TAKE A RIDE ON THE GONDOLA INSTEAD! THIS IS A RIP OFF!

Visited December 2012
7 Thank island G
sorry you didn't feel happy with your Carriage Ride. I took me a while to figure our what went wrong here. But the confusion was what you ride you took and the ride you read were two different rides. A Sleigh Rides is on the snow & Carriages Rides go down the city streets. Carriages rides in traffic are more challenging for drivers so they do walk our horses for safety reasons. They are big guys over 2,000 ponds -- speed is not the forte. As for our drivers (especially the Michigan Gang form Mackinaw Island) are usually kind, happy and knowledgeable and I am not sure what could have happened. Please except my apologies & if you are ever in the area look us up again and let us see if we can change your opinion. We are half the price of the Gondola Ride and we feel we are a good value.