“Ago at Hard Rock - authentic Tuscan cuisine”
Review of Ago Las Vegas - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Paradise
Cross street: Harmon
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We had dinner at Ago last night for the second time in two months. We have travelled to Italy in the past, and found the food and wine to be very authentic to Tuscany. Service is also very good. Try the Papradelle and Wild Boar pasta dish.

1  Thank Mahekal

Reviewed 9 February 2010

Ago is a great place for amazing food and classy atmosphere! Went with a party of 6 and had $200 in coupons. Waited a while for dinner but was given free shots because of the wait. Overall great food and service.... Not cheap have coupons!

1  Thank norm2h
Reviewed 15 October 2009

We had a big group of family and friends coming from three corners of the country to meet in Las Vegas to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. I was anxious about coordinating the birthday dinner, since our guests ranged in age from 9 to 81, and some of the guests have owned and worked in high end restaurants for decades, so I wanted this to be something special that everyone would love. I narrowed the list down to 3 or 4 places and started working on menus, pricing and other details with the group event coordinators at each.
The Ago staff was amazing and so helpful, flexible and attuned to the kind of evening we wanted. After we decided on Ago, I read some lukewarm reviews so I was even more nervous when we arrived.
My nerves disappeared when we walked into the location. Ago is beautiful, lovely flattering lighting, medium noise level (loud enough to make you feel like you are at a party, yet not so loud that you can't hear the people at the other end of your table talking). The service for our group was outstanding, it is not easy to meet the needs of 19 people, but the staff did so in what seemed to be an effortless manner. The food was delicious, particularly the salad and the pesto pasta with green beans and potatoes. I'm not a meat eater so I didn't try the chicken dish, however I noticed that two of the younger kids who typically don't eat much finished their chicken off so it must have been good!
We had intended the dinner to last about two hours, but we stayed almost four hours as everyone was enjoying the evening and we were made to feel so comfortable and welcomed by Ago.
There are hundreds of restaurants in Las Vegas---I would definitely go back to Ago.

1  Thank matgandi
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hard Rock, and had dinner at Ago on Labor Day. We both received a $50 credit for the restaurant just by signing up for the Rockstar Club and playing the slots a little while.

We ordered drinks (which were promptly delivered), and started out with some appetizers. I had the prociutto with melon, and my husband had the antipasto plate with cured meats, cheeses, olives and roasted red peppers. Both of these appetizers were FANTASTIC!! (the presentation was beautiful as well) For our entrees, I had the black liguini with clams, and my husband had the tagliatelle. Again, both dishes were thouroughly enjoyed. For dessert, I had the cannoli and a cup of tea. Cannoli was great, however when I put the cream in my tea, it curdled. I let our waiter know and he rectified the situation in record time and apologized profusely!

I wish I knew the name of this waiter, because he was AMAZING...super polite and very friendly. Ambience is great, music is not loud at all, quick service, great food. I would definitely dine here again!

P.S. If you plan on eating here, make sure to dress appropriately. (dressy casual is sufficient, don't go overboard). There were several people around us in baseball hats and/or shorts, t-shirts...ruins the atmosphere.

Reviewed 26 August 2009

I ate a Ago tonight as part of Spy On Vegas' Fude series. What a horrible meal!

The hostess was quite pleasant, especially notable since I was running about 20 minutes late and held up our party. We were sat and after several minutes a waiter came over, we asked for water, and it was delivered fairly promptly by a back server.

The waiter returned, explained the menu and we went ahead and ordered our food, and he remarked at the value we were getting because of the promotional FUDE pricing... Um, a bit declasse, but okay...

Bread basket was brought, and was very disappointing. Why do restaurants still think serving cold bread is okay? Because it isn't. The was a small baguette type roll (crusty and cold), cubes of focaccia (literally cold, like they had been thawed), and roll that appeared to have olives in it and was bitter as all hell (I put it in my mouth and my friend said "oh dear... that must not have been good!" - apparently I made a rather rude face) and some skinny breadsticks like you'd buy prepackaged in the store. Instead of butter there were two dips, an olive tapenade and a tapenade of, I believe, roasted red peppers. The olive was okay, the red peppers was very nice. Too bad the bread sucked.

Appetizers - I got the tuna and avocado tartar with grapefruit and green onion vinaigrette ($14), which was so underseasoned it bordered on ridiculous. It was literally a ring mold of avocado and diced tuna, dry, no salt, nothing, with three sections of grapefruit around it. The only evidence of vinagrette was a couple oily streaks on the plate. I salted and peppered it to make it palatable, but was still sad and disappointing. My friend got a salad with goat cheese, grape tomatoes, pine nuts and dried olives ($11) which she said was delicious and the best part of her meal.

After sitting with dirty plates in front of us for the better part of 20 minutes, they were finally cleared, and we asked the waiter to clear the dirty bread plates too. He also then filled our empty water glasses - the restaurant was not busy, so I can't fathom what the slow service was about. He just seemed distracted and disinterested. We both ordered entrees when we ordered apps, and eventually, they too were delivered.

For me: what the menu described as "wood fired colorado (sic) rack of lamb, mixed vegetables, extra virgin olive oil." ($34)I ordered the lamb medium, leaning towards the medium rare side. What I got was two chops which appeared to have been boiled or steamed (that's what happens when you don't sear properly and/or have a dry, overcrowded pan) near to death. Not pink, not juicy, just brownish/grey and sad. I would've brought it up straight away but our waiter didn't return for another 20 minutes... In the meantime I picked at the lamb and the accompanying "mixed veg" which was a stalk of rapini, one thumb sized mini red pepper, one mushroom, one mini shaved turnip (parsnip? always get those confused) and a tiny boiled new potato. All completely and utter bland, and I like my veg al dente, but they should be cooked some... ahem. (when the waiter return, eventually, I pointed that my lamb was quite overdone, and he said "not really" and I laughed. he offered to take it back, but considering what was coming out of the kitchen, it didn't seem worth the additional wait)

My dinner mate got "wood fired ribeye, roasted artichokes, asparagus, rosemary olive oil" ($40). The steak was cooked well (actually medium, as ordered) and tender, but once again completely devoid of any and all flavor. The artichokes were crispy and interesting in texture, but again, it's like the kitchen has outlawed salt and herbs of any kind. Absolutely shocking.

Dessert was another long wait, and then a "chefs choice" selection of tiramisu and a plate of mini ricotta cheesecake with lemon sorbet. Tiramisu was okay, though soggy (again seemed like it might have been another freeze and thaw victim) and the cheesecake was nice, but the lemon sorbet was superb. Icy, just tart and sweet enough without being too much of either, and truly delicious.

We had hardly bit into to either treat before the check was dropped off. Guess he can be quick about some things...

It was interesting to see the attitude of the management stalking around the place. They completely ignored all customers except for a couple of tables occupied by people who were obviously friends. They got freebies and slaps on the back and quick service. We just got a bill, a stubborn greasy aftertaste and in the case of my poor friend, an upset stomach.

Incidentally - the table to our left sent back her woefully overcooked salmon only to have it return, she said, completely and utterly the same. The table to our right sent an entree back and didn't even want it redone.

There are so many fantastic restaurants in Vegas - don't waste your time, money, or taste buds on Ago.