“Priceline and Trump mix like sleeping pills & Miralax”

Ranked #16 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
seattle
“Priceline and Trump mix like sleeping pills & Miralax”
Reviewed 14 December 2009

a bunch of us were going gambling, so i went to priceline & bid on a 5 star hotel & chose vegas strip as the location...

what i got was a hotel that was NOT on the strip, does NOT have a casino, and my priceline savings were negated due to the $18/day surprise fee. based on the resort fee alone (as a principle + the fact that it was not disclosed to me), i will never again stay at trump or use priceline.

sean

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
11 Thank smortaz
TrumpLV, Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 17 December 2009
Dear valued Guest:

I am sorry to hear that our Hotel did not serve your needs as a traveler. Certainly when booking through opaque travel sites, you are limited in what you can place as a requests and preferences. Although the specific issues that your mentioned were not enjoyed, I hope that you were able to enjoy the beauty of the Hotel and the large rooms.

Concerning the Resort Fee, it is required on Priceline to read the terms and conditions that mention the inclusion of the Resort Fee. We certainly do have the obligation to inform our guests through Priceline and I am confident that we have met our obligation. I apologize if those terms were not made apparent to you before you arrived to the Hotel.

At $15 per day, we have combined what once were a la carte fees to one daily fee that will allow our guests access to the many amenities in the hotel.

I hope that you will give us a second chance to serve you in the future.

Brian Baudreau, Vice President & Managing Director- Trump International Hotel Las Vegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,686)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
sedona az
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Yes, I had a few glitches here like those mentioned by others, but overall I think the Trump represents the best hotel value in Vegas. This is especially true at the cheap rates available on Priceline and Hotwire. In any other city in the world this hotel would cost five times higher! I live in Arizona and visit Vegas a minimum of 3-4 times a year. As to the resort fee, I don't like it either, but about half of all the strip hotels are now charging one including most of the MGM branded properties. This is a 4.5 star hotel at 2 star rates!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank napili
Dear valued Guest:

I couldn't agree with you more. We are confident that we do provide the best value in Las Vegas. Our suites are spacious and elegant and their surrounding amenities are truly enjoyable. I appeciate your business and hope that Trump International Hotel Las Vegas will be your new hotel of choice when you return to Las Vegas. As for us, we would enjoy the opportunity to serve you again.

Marion, OH
Reviewed 11 December 2009

A nice, clean hotel. I really liked that it was non-smoking and was not a casino. The staff was friendly and helpful, always treating me with respect and courtesy. The room was clean and spacious, and I loved the comfortable pillows on the bad. The bathroom was beautiful, especially the TV in the mirror. The maid left a nice note on the bed thanking me for leaving her a tip, which added a nice 'human touch".

The location is nice--a few hundred yards from the strip, and across the street from an indoor mall.

Three things could make the hotel better:

1) I have a hearing loss. Most hotels where I've stayed comply with the Americans with Disabilities act by making an alarm clock with flashing lights or a "bedshaker" available upon request. The Trump Tower was unable to provide this upon request, leaving me with no reliable way to wake up when I wanted to. I was disappointed that a luxury hotel would drop the ball in this regard when most "lesser" hotels easily get it right.

2) Las Vegas is a great city for walking, but the street that the Trump is on is not as pedestrian-friendly as it should be (between the Trump hotel and Las Vegas Blvd). The sidewalks are not well lighted, and in some places turn to gravel or are blocked by trees.

3) Advertising a low price, and then adding a mandatory $15 per night "resort fee" (actually, $16.80 with tax) is just plain tacky. This supposedly covered the price of many "extras", such as a daily newspaper, use of the fitness center, and two bottles of water each day, but comes across as a greedy grab for profit. All I really got for my $67 was 4 newspapers and one bottle of water.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Winchesters
TrumpLV, Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 12 December 2009
Dear valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your most recent stay in our Hotel. I agree that we have a beautiful Hotel and we have a special obligation to provide a level of service to match it's beauty. I hope that you will return to stay with us upon your next trip to Las Vegas. I appreciate your feedback and will be sure to look into your concerns.

Brian Baudreau, Vice President & Managing Director, Trump International Hotel Las Vegas
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2009

We booked our room on Priceline and I have to admit, Trump was the hotel we were hoping we DIDN'T get! We knew it's location was a bit off the strip and that it had no casino. So we were pretty disappointed when we found out that we would be staying at Trump.

Upon arrival, we were immediately impressed. The property was beautiful and the gentlemen doing valet were very helpful. The thing I appreciated the most was that they did not expect tips, but rather appreciated them. When we first arrived, we had no cash on us and the gentlemen did not seem bothered at all! Once we had cash, we returned and tipped them extra simply because they treated us like gold without a tip right away.

Check-in was very smooth as we arrived late and it was not busy. We were given a room on the 24th floor. The one thing that would have been nice, would have been a brief overview of the hotel & it's amenities. (ie. direction of the elevators, restaurants, etc) Basically they just wanted to make sure we signed for the ridiculous $15 "resort fee" and that's all they cared about. I really don't mind paying a resort fee when high-speed internet is included, however at Trump it is not. That would have to be my biggest complaint about our stay, if they can provide large jacuzzi tubs in every single room then internet should be complimentary.

We were extremely impressed with the room and everything included. The room was modern, spacious, clean and upscale. Definately not just a place to lay your head. Large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, huge vanity with TV in the mirror, separate glass enclosed shower and toilet. The only thing that I was a bit confused by was the way the entrance to the rooms is set up. From the hall-way there is a set of double doors which gives access to 2 rooms. From there you enter a small entry way where you can enter the individual rooms. Great, except that these doors are VERY big and heavy so I can only assume if there was someone staying in the room adjacent to ours that we would have disturbed them coming and going. The "do not disturb" notice is electronic and done from inside your room, which is nice. It displays a light outside the room for housekeeping to see. Kind of a neat touch.

We actually stayed out all night, so didn't sleep "through the night" :) We returned to the hotel around 7am for a quick nap and had no trouble sleeping after pulling the drapes. Room was dark and didn't hear any noise.

We were offered a late check-out when we checked in, which we took full advantage of. Late check-out is 4pm and we were also able to store our luggage after that (flight didn't leave until 10pm)

All in all, we were very pleasantly suprised with our stay at Trump. The only negative comments we have are that there is no casino, and the location is too far from the strip. Everything else was fantastic!

3 Thank nhiscock
Dear valued Guest:

I am pleased to hear that your actual experience at the Hotel was able to override any previous thoughts that you had about the Hotel. The beauty of the Hotel and the spacious suites certainly do speak for themselves. I will be certain to share your feedback about our service with the appropriate Managers. We have a great team of associates and I'm pleased to hear that you were able to experience their service. I hope to meet you personally in the Hotel on your next trip to Las Vegas.

New Jersey
Reviewed 9 December 2009

I booked this hotel on priceline and got a great deal, but as you know priceline considers this on the strip and doesn't tell you about the amenity charge. We called priceline ahead of time and they were awful about it. When we arrived I felt sorry for the employee who had us because we argued that there was nothing in priceline that said anything about the fee. They try to show you a printed out form with the fee on it, but we had our papers that didn't list a fee at all, so all in all we got the fee waived. We also requested a higher floor to avoid the train noise and so didn't hear any noise at all.

Overall: The feel of the hotel is simple and contemporary, which I enjoy. There is no casino, but I am glad because of the noise level and less traffic to deal with. We had no problems getting taxis to the airport and even though we got our amenity fee waived we still were able to use the valet parking when we rented a car for a day. Never got to use the fitness room, spa or pool but it all looked fabulous and I wished we had time. Really it's a 5 min walk to the strip. I'm in my 20s and this was no problem at all...it was a short walk.

Room: The room was definitely 5 star and I have stayed in other 5 stars before in different cities, it just depends where you are staying and your opinion. The bed was very comfortable, we used the microwave for popcorn all night, but we weren't there long enough to use the kitchen. Great view of the mountains, lots of seating and storage. Yes the toilet wall is glass so that's a little awkward, but the bathroom was huge and the tub was simply luxurious! (press the button a couple of times to up the jets).
I wish we stayed in the room more, but we were too busy walking around the see all the sites in 3 days. One day we rented a car and drove 5 hours to the Grand Canyon, stopping briefly at the Hoover Dam and on Route 66...a must if you haven't been out here before! The Grand Canyon was my favorite part of the trip. I was sore from all the walking on the strip because I wanted to see everything (walked from the Trump all the way to the Las Vegas welcome sign), taxis can become expensive in traffic. No matter where we went it cost us about $20 a ride. This was a great trip and I wish we had one more day to just relax at the hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank amplexusomnium
TrumpLV, Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 10 December 2009
Dear valued Guest:

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Our hotel is such a breath of fresh air to the casinos and smoke filled buildings around us. I hope to meet you personally the next time that you are with us in the Hotel. Thank you for taking your valuable time to share this feedback.

Brian Baudreau- Vice President & Managing Director, Trump International Hotel Las Vegas
McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Yes it is beautiful and with a place that is Trump you expect nice and beautiful but if your looking for a good night sleep this is not the place. We are on the 42nd floor and facing the mountains. The room and view are nice but the noise from the cars never stops from the highway. The helicopter noise starts at 9am and goes all day long. The worst thing is the train noise which woke us up 2 times during the night. When we asked for a different room they told us there would be a $25 charge for a room on the other side of the hotel that you would not hear as much but no guarantee on the noise. When we went to cancel to move else ware they told us that since we made the reservation online that we would be responsible for the full amount for the pending 2 days. We could not speak to a manager unless we went down to the front desk. Now we are not cheap but when we arrived we were told there was going to be an additional $15/night to use the hotel on top of our reservation. We had not choice and agreed but why in the world would you build a beautiful hotel with the Trump name on it if no one on the highway side could ever get a good night sleep? Our view showed us dozens of construction projects abandoned including the second tower of the Trump hotel. I can’t imagine the noise that we would have heard if they were being worked on. The entire town is hurting for business. You would think that if you had a customer at your hotel and your running at 20% occupancy you would make sure those that are here are provided for no matter where the reservation was made from. It is also at the end of the strip about a 5 minute walk to the strip. Not a great location unless you want to walk all day. If you make a reservation online then call the online company directly to cancel. We did and after 15 minutes on the phone we were set up someware else.

3 Thank Nicolette10660
TrumpLV, General Manager at Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 22 December 2010
Dear valued Guest:

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your experiences concerning your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that the city noise surrounding the hotel did not allow for you to have an enjoyable experience. I would hope that you would allow for us to serve you again as I am confident that we can correct the challenges that you had.

Regards,

Brian Baudreau, Vice President & Managing Director
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 9 December 2009

I picked this hotel because I was running the Rock n' Roll Marathon and I needed a quiet, nonsmoking room, with a kitchenette to cook a pre race meal, and a large tub to soak in post race. I have expectations about 5 stars both in service and in physical standards. The Trump is beautiful from lobby to room to view to spa to pool, but their service is beyond lacking. I worked in fine dining restaurants and as a manager for Starbucks for years, and I am a massage therapist now. I know service, good, bad, and indifferent. I've dealt with the full range of customers from happy to abusive and unreasonable for 12 years. Accidents happen, but how problems are resolved makes the difference between a positive and negative experience. I'm breaking this review down into 3 parts, the property/room, the staff/management service, and company policy.

1. I've stayed in a few 5 star hotels and the room was beautiful and well decorated. The TV in the bathroom mirror was a nice touch, ended up switching rooms and it didn't work in the second room but you couldn't see it from the tub anyway. The whirlpool tub was by far the best part of the room. It was huge. My fiance is 6'4" and was able to stretch out in it. The towels and robes were soft and thick and didn't leave any lint after bathing. The view of the Wynn/Encore and Fashion Mall was stunning especially at night. Lobby/hallways all clean and beautiful. The Spa is amazing; spacious, luxurious treatment rooms, showers, and a wonderful lounge area with teas and water. On the down side, neither of our cell phones had useable signal beyond the lobby (AT&T and Tmobile), the bathroom floor was sticky, the showers wouldn't get hot (let it run for about 10 minutes as hot as it would go before just taking a bath) and there were a few nicks, scratches, holes in sheets, ect. showing some wear and tear on furniture and linens.

2. The bell/doormen were friendly, welcoming, and recognized me after the first day, though I did get the door for myself a few times (all at peak business hours). The spa staff was professional and met my expectations. Where things went wrong began with housekeeping and ends with management.

We checked in and unpacked putting most of out items in drawers and left do some shopping before dinner reservations for our anniversary. When we returned to our room three hours after checking in, housekeeping (I'm assuming) threw out all our toiletries and the pre-race food I brought to cook (I didn't notice the food until we switched rooms, and by that point I felt like I was such an inconvenience to them I just let it go). This was compounded by discovering this an hour before our dinner reservation. After filling out security paperwork, management offered to refund the mandatory resort fee, (didn't offer to do anything else) which unfortunately didn't cover the cost or frustration of spending 1/2 a day buying items we tossed upon leaving because travel sizes were unavailable, instead of gambling or shopping. The toiletries they provided severely irritated my boyfriend's skin which is sensitive because he was treated with radiation. The desk manager did call our restaurant for us, at my request, and we were given a ride in the house car to the restaurant, unfortunately I was made to feel like we were lucky to get that instead of having to take a taxi. The other unfortunate part of that was that the restaurant was supposed to be a surprise end to a romantic walk up the strip. The dinner was great but my fiance went to great lengths to plan a romantic experience. Men, I appreciate this is not an easy task.

After we got back from dinner, we were concerned about the fridge being too warm to keep the perishables we bought earlier and phoned the desk. Understandably, my fiance was upset about our items, our plans, and the physical discomfort of his skin. I felt security was professional and accommodating in trying to resolve the situation, but the desk manager made us feel like "problem guests" and that everything being done was above and beyond excellent customer care. Excellent service is supposed to feel smooth and effortless, excellent service means having good communication skills, and anticipating a guest's needs so they don't have to ask. Excellent service in that situation would have looked something like, getting us basic toiletries immediately (which was done) and offering to have the concierge deliver the specific items we lost sent up to our room asap, then guaranteeing a ride to the restaurant by whatever means (not a ride in the house car "if it's available"). In customer service when you encounter someone you just can't make happy for whatever reason you offer to have the next person up speak with them about their concerns.

The GM did not sit down with us face to face, my fiance had to argue over the phone about what had happened and what they could do for us. Eventually, the GM agreed to a room upgrade, $100 credit for me to use at the spa, and a late check out. We were satisfied with that and just wanted to put it all behind us. Honestly, I liked the room and didn't want to waste my vacation time moving our belongings. All I really wanted was a massage after my race and nice diner for the two of us.

The late check out we were begrudgingly promised didn't go smoothly either. We packed in the morning, left for lunch and some gambling, when we returned to checkout the keys didn't work, then I got the bill and the resort fees that were supposed to be refunded were still on the bill. Unbelievable, I'm sure we were already flagged or blacklisted as difficult I've seen it all, but I've never felt so marginalized. I have to remind someone to do what was already supposed to be done? Good thing I got the bill instead of doing express checkout, or I wouldn't have seen the charges until later. I didn't care about the specific amounts of money, but that seemed to be the only value the Trump management placed on our stay.

So to break it down in numbers, I prepaid $140/night for a studio with a South Strip view (available on the Trump website for $89/night with a $50 spa credit and late check out, Thank you Hotwire!), signed for $45 in resort fees + $5.40 in taxes, spend $61 replacing toiletries, had $15 worth of specialty food tossed, and received a $167 massage (after the $100 spa credit) for a total of $887. My first experience staying in Vegas... "priceless."

Needless to say, I didn't have the calm quiet atmosphere I was looking for before running the Marathon. (But I still rocked it , had an awesome race and set a PR)

3. As far as company policy/branding/marketing goes...
In restaurants, prix fixe allows the guest to sit back and enjoy a full experience from start to finish for a set price with no substitutions or additions, while a la cart allows the guest to pick and choose items to create a unique and individually satisfying experience. The Trump seems to have a la carte and prix fixe confused. This begins with the mandatory resort fee, if it is mandatory why is it not calculated into the price of the room itself. I came to Vegas to run a race, not to work out and not to use a pool in December. The resort fee doesn't even include WI FI, that's an additional $13/day. I agreed to it, because I was given no option. As a customer, I felt cheated. I made a nonrefundable prepaid booking at a price I found agreeable with a disclosure of "possible" additional fees, but upon checking with the booking company and the hotel find that I cannot change my booking, I cannot get a refund, I cannot go stay somewhere else, and I still have to pay the fee. Even more aggravating was seeing an additional itemized tax added to each $15 fee for $1.80. I had a similar experience in the spa, when I received my receipt, there was a charge for my massage and then there was an additional charge for support staff, apparently close to $300 worth of luxury and pampering does not include someone to show me to the waiting area? I paid $6.60 for someone I interacted with less than 5 min? I work in spas and have never seen this before. Itemization like this should be for your accountants and P&L charts, not your guests. I didn't eat at the restaurant but I wouldn't be surprised if I went and there was a mandatory silverware charge on the bill.

Shame on you Trump Hotel Group, luxury is about creating an unforgettable experience. Unfortunately, I won't be able to forget this one. Your nickel and dime-ing guests and management that is either unable or unwilling to handle difficult situations smoothly and successfully makes calling your property luxury or 5 star deceitful.

10 Thank theveggievixen
Dear valued Guest:

Please accept my apology for the customer service challenges that you experienced. We pride ourselves on providing "Trump" quality in all that we do. It appears that we did not achieve our goals in serving you. Please consider giving us a second chance the next time that you plan on returning to Las Vegas. It would truly be my pleasure to serve you again and to show you the true "Trump" experience.