“Never again.”

Ranked #16 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles, CA
“Never again.”
Reviewed 16 April 2010

In the past thirty years, since I was a wee little one, I've been to Las Vegas over 50 times. I can say that this particular stay was probably my worst. I still managed to have a good time, but no part of that was due to my stay at Trump.

The basics...

Pros: Hotel lobby is nice. Staff is friendly (even when not competent, they were all very friendly). Room was relatively clean and well appointed. Location is decent. Not on the Strip, but close enough. Easy to cut through Nordstrom's and the mall during business hours, otherwise a short walk.

Cons: EVERYTHING ELSE. No really, everything else was horrible.

Check-in at 3 pm? Not cool. We arrived tired after a drive from LA at a little before 11 am and were told a room wouldn't be available until 3. "Can you please check or call me sooner?" Nope, turns out they couldn't, or they wouldn't. It wasn't too much to ask either. Just call my cell when a room comes up, and I'll be back. The person who greeted me, who obviously wasn't paying attention or didn't care, actually suggested I wait in the restaurant. For over four hours. With a five year old. Really, lady? I kept checking in and finally got in at around 2:30. I have never, ever in the history of staying in Vegas not gotten a room within an hour of arriving, tops. And that's rare to even wait.

Resort fee? Only "resort" with five stars that charges such a fee. If Bellagio doesn't charge a fee, neither should you, Trump. Other hotels? Venetian, Wynn, Ceasars, all have better facilities and don't charge on top of their regular room rates. A swimming pool and one restaurant does not make one a resort, my friend. We've stayed in resorts in other cities. Recently, in fact. The ones that charge such fees (justifiably so) include things like internet access. Unlike Trump, who charges $12 on top of the $17 resort fee.

Pool? One of the biggest duds of all the Vegas pools I've experienced. Pool staff was friendly, but two drinks took twenty minutes to arrive and cost $20 (one wasn't even alcoholic).

Train? Loud. Yeah, it's loud. Maybe it's not loud from certain parts of the hotel, but from our room, it was loud.

Room? Relatively clean, but my poor kid went into a sneezing fit when he picked up the tv remote from the shelf below the crookedly mounted tv. Layer of dust that was thick. Had to call for maintenance twice. Once the jets in the tub didn't work (and the worker left a caulk gun, a spare tub sensor - they apparently go out often - in the room), and the second time because the TV in the bathroom wouldn't turn OFF.

Valet? Probably the worst aspect of a crappy stay. When I first arrived, instead of informing me that check-in wasn't for hours, they happily took my car. I walked in with my bags and was told no check in, so I left the bags with the bell desk and went back outside. It would be nice if someone communicates with the valet stand so they can let people know that they may not be able to check in. And then I waited ten minutes for my car. Which, mercifully, was the shortest wait time at valet for my trip. The longest? Almost 30 minutes. No joke. In fact, the icing on the cake was when we were finally leaving (and happily leaving) and I commented to my better half at how happy I was to not deal with the valet anymore - a valet steps out of a car and says my last name. "Uh, that's me. That's not my car." You guessed it, another five minutes after the fifteen we were already waiting while he went searching for the correct car. I think in the two days we stayed at this hotel, I spent a cumulative hour and a half waiting in front of the hotel for the car. Minimum. They need to just allow self parking. I understand this valet service is part of that fantastical "resort fee", but is it really worthwhile when it's this much of a hassle?

When the staff at the desk told me to go wait in the restaurant (four hours, with a child, natch), my gut screamed out, "Grab your bags and drive across the street to one of the hotels you've enjoyed in the past. Just do it. Eat the cost of this hotel stay, it's not that much. You won't regret it." I decided to go against my gut and give the hotel another chance. I should have gone with my gut. We go to Las Vegas every year for NAB and at least two other times for pleasure. No more Trump for us.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank CYD_Family
TrumpLV, Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 24 April 2010
Dear valued Guest:

It appears that I owe you a much needed apology. I apologize that we did not allow for you to enjoy your time with us. It appears that we fell short of our goal in ensuring your comfort and happiness.

I know that your posting is titled, "Never again," but I hope that we can have an additional chance to serve you in the future.

Brian Baudreau, Vice President & Managing Director, Trump International Hotel Las Vegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,685)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arizona
Reviewed 15 April 2010

We booked the hotel online and it says steps from the strip. More like 1/2 mile down a dark road with no sidewalk access. After a long day of walking and shopping - it would be great to be able to get to your Hotel without worrying about being mugged or run over by a taxi cab.

We thought TRUMP - well it has to be nice. Room is super nice - staff terrific - during business hours the mall is open across the street and great if you taxi everywhere.

It would have been good if they had a smoke free casino also and when I got back in at 10pm to order room service no one answered and I am still waiting 25 minutes with no return call. Since this is NOT close to the strip you can not just walk anywhere to get anything....kind of is NOT STEPS AWAY FROM STRIP!

Bellagio - in the middle of the strip is a much better choice or even Treasure Island although TI smells of smoke everywhere.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mitchgold
TrumpLV, Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 20 April 2010
Dear valued Guest:

Thank you for providing your feedback. We do have a shuttle for our guest's convenience that drops them off at Las Vegas Boulevard and a second shuttle that runs to The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace. Please come stay with us again and feel free to take advantage of these services that are provided as part of our Resort Fee.

Ohio
Reviewed 14 April 2010

*bathroom was dirty upon arrival
* the resort fee covers a bunch of stuff that OTHER places have at no charge like um, the coffee maker and printing of boarding passes.
* spa facial burnt my face!
* they offer to upgrade your dirty room for a fee!
* pool only capacity for 100 and it's on top of the parking garage...sucked.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank serviceisdead
TrumpLV, General Manager at Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, 28 October 2010
Dear valued Guest:

Please know that the comments that you have shared will be provided to the appropriate people to ensure that our future guests will not have to endure the same challenges that you experienced. I hope that you will allow us to have another opportunity to serve you so that we can erase these negative experiences in your mind and replace them with positive ones.

Brian Baudreau, Vice President & Managing Director
los angeles
Reviewed 13 April 2010

for that one night i felt so wealthy!!...i stayed at the suite, it had its own kitchen 2 bathrooms!, in one there is a tv inside the mirror in the bathroom it had 2 robes that are very comfortable and there is something about the air quality in that room. Only recomentd it if you're in vegas for atleast 2 days, it is not really walking distance from the middle of the strip, however there is a shuttle that goes to ceasars palace, however if you like to be comfortable i highly recomend!, taxi doesn't cost that much....ALSO... vallet parking only, just tip the vallet atleast 3 dollars and it'll be cool!. and NO SMOKING ANYWHERE IN THAT HOTEL

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank serg55
Dear valued Guest:

Thank you for your kind words concerning our Hotel and your stay. We try our best to provide each of our guests with an unforgettable, memorable experience. I hope that you will allow for us to serve you many more times in the future.

Brian Baudreau, Vice President & Managing Director
Auckland
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Great, great stay in March with hubby who attended a show at the LV Convention Centre. Well situated for his purposes - he walked to the show each day (20mins each way, flat, easy walk) and I dashed across the road to Nordstroms! No distance at all to the top of the strip, 5min walk tops.
I won't repeat the endless reports on the grandness of the rooms, they are as the previous TA reports state, fabulous and comfy. Pillows get 5 stars!
Didn't eat at the hotel, but sat and had pricey cocktails in the lounge one night and listened to the pianist.
Can only recall hearing the infamous train once or twice oh, and the odd siren.
Loved the double lounger's around the pool.
And the bathroom has the best hairdryer ever!
The only negative's for our stay was the fact that housekeeping hadn't checked the room prior to us arriving and we discovered unemptied trash cans, dirty robes on the floor of the wardrobe and food left in the fridge from the previous occupants but a call to housekeeping resulted in a very prompt response.
Keep up the great rates and we will definately return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank z1bby
Dear valued Guest:

What a great review! It was truly our pleasure to serve you and I was happy to read that our location was perfect to suit your needs.

Please consider yourself officially invited back to stay with us.

Virginia
Reviewed 11 April 2010

The room we had the first night had a broken makeup mirror and a broken sink stopper. We didn't say anything that night. The next morning, the toilet also backed up. I called downstairs, explained all the broken issues and said that the toilet fix was urgent. They said someone would be up within ten minutes. That never happened. Forty minutes later, I called again. This time someone came up quickly and fixed everything. However at this point, we were fed up and wanted to leave. I went downstairs to speak with the manager.
The manager looked into our reservation and said because we prepaid through a travel agency, he could not cancel and refund the balance of our stay. He generously offered us a $100 food & beverage credit and an upgrade to a corner suite. The corner suite was spectacular with many views of the strip and of the desert all the way out to Red Rock Canyon. Unfortunately, all the lampshades were broken and two light bulbs were out. We mentioned the light bulbs. They were never replaced.
Another annoying problem was that there were very, very few outlets in the suite. In order to both plug in my laptop and have a surface on which to place it, I had to unplug a phone and move the dining table and chairs. The first day, the wi-fi connection seemed spotty so I got an ethernet cable and used that. (Either costs $11.99 per day.) That seemed to help. However on the day before we left, when I tried to connect using the ethernet, I got a message that the Trump server was down. The same thing happened when I tried to use the wi-fi to connect. I called downstairs and was told the IT guy was not yet in. I was told I should call Cox, Trump's cable provider, to deal with it. The LAST thing I am going to do when traveling is to kill an hour or more dealing with the hotel's internet problems.
People should also be aware that there is no self-park at the Trump. You must use the valet and when things got busy, there were long delays in getting the car. With cool temperatures and very cold, very high winds, that got uncomfortable. At least Trump provides free shuttle service to the Strip and to the shops at Caesar's Palace. Other annoyances: a glass of regular, white wine at the bar costs $15.00. A 20-ounce bottle of soda at the store, (there are no vending machines), costs $3.00. Thank goodness for the fridges in the rooms, because at those prices, people were stuffing them.
By the way, if you have a Strip view, you WILL hear the train, night & day. On the positive side, the people are nice, the hotel is very clean, the hotel is smoke-free, the rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VaTourist_8
Dear valued Guest:

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your experiences during your most recent stay. I would like to apologize for the breakdowns in our service standards that you experienced.

I am confident that if we were given an additional chance to serve you, we would be able to "wow" you with our service. Please consider returning to stay with us.

Seattle
Reviewed 10 April 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Trump for 5 nights on a recent get away to Las Vegas. I bid on line and got what I thought was a pretty good price. First impression was very positive. Welcoming doorman, lobby that smells like a spring meadow and easy check in. Lobby is HUGE and very beautiful. Was annoyed that there was a $15 resort fee... what resort.? It is a lovely hotel with a pool and spa. But Nothing like any resort I have been to. Also paid another $20 for room with a view of the strip.
We were on the 52 floor and it was very quiet and the view was terrific. Hear the infamous train once, but we enjoyed it!! The room (basic studio) was very large and very nice. An incredibly comfortable king size bed and lots of closet space. There is a sitting area by the window that is the width of the room. There is a sofa, 2 chairs, coffee table and end table. Very nice to have this area since we were here for 5 days. The room has a kitchen area with a stove, small frig, sink and microwave. It was very handy! A long desk completed the room. There were some nice books and pieces of art decorating the shelves. Large flat screen TV was easily seen from anywhere in the room. I don't think you should have to pay for wi-fi in a 5 star hotel!! If you have 2 laptops you have a double charge of $11.95 per day.
My favorite part of the suite was the bathoom. It is beautiful with marble vaniety with a double sink. A huge walk in shower was a treat. Toilet area was separated by glass and a door. The jetted tub area big enough to really lay down and soak. Was very deep and had many jets. There was a TV screen built into the mirror. I had never seen anything quite like it. You couldn't feel it, but the picture would come on the middle of the large mirror. Perfect for watching during a long bath. You really could live in this studio room and feel right at home. Wouldn't change a thing about the room.
Housekeeping was a little lax for such a nice hotel.Didn't replace shower caps or lotion. Put newspaper by a full small trash can and they never picked them up for 5 days. Toothpaste on the bathroom mirror didn't get cleaned and there was a knife left on the floor.How can you vacumn a floor a miss a knife? I called one day at 5 pm because there was no hot water. An hour later I called again.FInally someone got back to me and told me the problem. and it was so resolved. Comunicate with guests and we will understand. Ingore us and we get cranky!!
Pool area was nice with attentive staff. We didn't eat in the resturant but the BLT from room service and by the pool was the best I had every had. On the other hand room service tortolini was terrible.Very tough and no rolls or accompaniments . They hadn't put a current room service menu in our room so ordering dinner was quite an ordel.
Had a body scub in the spa and it was great. The spa staff was super. You can spend all day there if you have a treatment. Wonderful products. I got a very good haircut in the salon.
The biggest drawback for us was the location. It is 15 minute walk to the closet casino and a LOOOOONG way to the other end of the strip. We had to take cabs to the Rio to see a show and to the MGM. Because of traffic, it cost about $15 each way We took a cab one night to the Bellagio to see the Fontains and they weren't on because of high winds. It was always wonderful to come back to the elegant lobby. i wish I could get that fragrance for my house. Not like perfume, just delightfully fresh.
I would recommend the hotel, but only of you are ready to walk A LOT (really) if you want to go to shows or casinos. It is a great hotel, but not enough extras to make it 5 stars.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank kidzRNSeattle
Dear valued Guest:

You pointed out many of the wonderful aspects of our Hotel in our review. As a recent guest pointed out concerning our proxemity to Las Vegas Boulevard, "You are no further from the Strip than walking from the front door of many of the other Hotels to the Strip."

We have also added some shuttles to transport our guests to Las Vegas Boulevard and The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace. I hope that you will return to stay with us again so we can serve you.