“Got to check it out, not just for history buffs”
Review of The Neon Museum

The Neon Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$59.00*
and up
2.5 Hour Las Vegas Downtown Art and History Group...
Ranked #43 of 467 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1996, the Neon Museum is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization dedicated to collecting, preserving, studying and exhibiting iconic Las Vegas signs for educational, historic, arts and cultural enrichment. You may view the collection through either an hour-long guided tour, a self-guided tour or on a limited-access basis. Tours are available seven days a week and tour times vary based on the season. Dedicated individuals from the private sector, as well as corporate and government entities, worked collaboratively to promote the preservation of these national treasures as significant pieces of artistic and historical importance. Each sign in the Neon Museum’s collection chronicles changes and trends in sign design and technology through pieces ranging from the 1930s to the present day. Public education, outreach, research, archival preservation and a grant-funded neon sign survey represent a selection of the museum’s ongoing projects.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is my third time. I have gone at different stages in their progress. This is the best and pretty much the final product. The lobby is great. The signs are set up the best yet and they put some new ones up. The guides are always informed. I have taken my sister and fiance and they both enjoyed and they are not history buffs or big vegas people. There are a lot of great photo ops. Feel free to move around and take pics while the guide is talking. I felt like I was the only one doing that and it is always ok with them as long as they can see you.

1  Thank Michael H
Write a ReviewReviews (4,130)
All reviews
in 68 reviews
"take photos"
in 78 reviews

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was disappointed to have to be part of a tour and with all of the restrictions on picture usage, but I got over that pretty quickly once we stepped outside and the tour began. It was a step back in history and we had more than enough time to snap all of the pictures we wanted! The signage is iconic and the glimpses on CSI don't really do the collection justice! Great time and great tour!

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The museum shares the history of glitz in a boneyard of neon signs. The guide we had was knowledgeable and entertaining. A few signs are restored but most are aged and Rusty. Few are lit up due to cost of electricity but in a short walk you can learn a lot about the glitz. It is calm within the city of noise and excess.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have this an 'average' rating for the night tour. Simply because of the lighting, or lack thereof, of the signs. Over the years, we have been big fans of 'The Boneyard' and have visited it when it was just a jumble of signs behind a chain link fence, before the La Concha center was in place and open. So on this visit to Vegas we knew we wanted to see the museum at night. What a disappointment! There were only four signs actually refurbished and lit. The rest of the hour tour included signs lit by spot lights. Not what we signed up for at $25/ticket. I suppose we were jaded since we lived there for so many years prior to this visit.

Our tour guide was ok. But lacked some knowledge and didn't offer to find the answer to some guests questions. We were surprised that she hopped right by a couple of the signs that had been pointed out on previous tours. She also offered a bit of information that we hadn't heard before so that was good to hear.

You can see more old signs lit up nearby and not have to pay to see them. Right out front of the museum is one and just down the street are a few more. My suggestion is to go on the museum tour during the day (watch for the heat though!) and just drive down at night to see the ones lit without the tour. I truly think our pictures during the day tour show the signs much better. Note that the tour guide likes to keep moving and doesn't like stragglers who want to take pictures! If I'm there with all that beautiful Vegas history, I want to have a bit of time to capture it! I understand they have a schedule to keep, but perhaps there's a way to allow some time for photos.

Oh and as a note: Be careful of the pathways at night. They are lined with rocks that jut out. Mind your step! But in doing so you might miss a sign of interest! If you are visually impaired, this can be a dangerous tour as the pathways are not lit.

3  Thank Diane R
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Although I have been to Las Vegas many times, I never seemed to fit in a tour of the Neon Boneyard. I'm glad I finally did! Make sure to book your tour early, the evening ones fill up quickly (Only 3 tours with 25 people at a time per day). The guided tour takes about an hour; I chose the 8:30pm time so that it would be dark enough to take pictures and I could get back to the main strip before midnight. It started pouring rain right after we finished so I felt sorry for the next group! It's about a 10min walk from Fremont street. We bought the 24hr Deuce bus pass which got us as far as the Heart Attack Grill stop and then kept walking north. It's not the best area to be in, but if you are in a group, you will be fine.

The tour was nothing short of amazing, a lot of the signs are broken and weathered, that just added to the nostalgia. Color-changing floodlights are used to light the signs so that was really neat. The small group sizes made it so you weren't in other peoples shots. I stayed to the back and got

some great wide-angle photos. No tripods, large bags or multiple cameras are allowed, but they can hold them for you at the frontdesk. Gabby was our
tour-guide (Aug 3rd). She was fairly new, but did a great job and was very knowledgeable about the signs and the history of Las Vegas. We never felt
rushed through the tour and it was well laid out. While it is a little bit cheaper to see the signs during the day, it is well worth the extra cost to book the evening tour.

They are always renovating or getting new signs, so I wouldn't mind going back in a few years and checking it out again.

1  Thank Cliff B