“Unique and nostalgic”

Ranked #21 of 459 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1996, the Neon Museum is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization dedicated to collecting, preserving, studying and exhibiting iconic Las Vegas signs for educational, historic, arts and cultural enrichment. The Neon Museum campus includes the outdoor exhibition space known as the Neon Boneyard, a visitors’ center housed inside the former La Concha Motel lobby and the Neon Boneyard North Gallery which houses additional rescued signs and is available for weddings, special events, photo shoots and educational programs. Due to the nature of our collection, the Neon Museum Boneyard is only available to the public through an hour long guided tour. Tours are available seven days a week and tour times vary based on the season. Dedicated individuals from the private sector, as well as corporate and government entities, worked collaboratively to promote the preservation of these national treasures as significant pieces of artistic and historical importance. Each sign in the Neon Museum’s collection offers a unique story about the personalities who created it, what inspired it, where and when it was made, and the role it played in Las Vegas’ distinctive history. In addition, the Neon Museum collection chronicles changes and trends in sign design and technology through pieces ranging from the 1930s to the present day. Public education, outreach, research, archival preservation and a grant-funded neon sign survey represent a selection of the museum’s ongoing projects.
Tempe, AZ
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Unique and nostalgic”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We enjoyed our after-dark tour of the Neon Museum. The old signs are a special piece of Las Vegas history. Very nostalgic for my husband who has seen Las Vegas grow over the past 30 years.

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Got to check it out, not just for history buffs”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is my third time. I have gone at different stages in their progress. This is the best and pretty much the final product. The lobby is great. The signs are set up the best yet and they put some new ones up. The guides are always informed. I have taken my sister and fiance and they both enjoyed and they are not history buffs or big vegas people. There are a lot of great photo ops. Feel free to move around and take pics while the guide is talking. I felt like I was the only one doing that and it is always ok with them as long as they can see you.

1 Thank Michael H
Severn, MD
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“As Seen on TV”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was disappointed to have to be part of a tour and with all of the restrictions on picture usage, but I got over that pretty quickly once we stepped outside and the tour began. It was a step back in history and we had more than enough time to snap all of the pictures we wanted! The signage is iconic and the glimpses on CSI don't really do the collection justice! Great time and great tour!

Visited February 2014
Palm Springs, California
4 attraction reviews
“History in the Desert”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The museum shares the history of glitz in a boneyard of neon signs. The guide we had was knowledgeable and entertaining. A few signs are restored but most are aged and Rusty. Few are lit up due to cost of electricity but in a short walk you can learn a lot about the glitz. It is calm within the city of noise and excess.

USA
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Night Tour”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have this an 'average' rating for the night tour. Simply because of the lighting, or lack thereof, of the signs. Over the years, we have been big fans of 'The Boneyard' and have visited it when it was just a jumble of signs behind a chain link fence, before the La Concha center was in place and open. So on this visit to Vegas we knew we wanted to see the museum at night. What a disappointment! There were only four signs actually refurbished and lit. The rest of the hour tour included signs lit by spot lights. Not what we signed up for at $25/ticket. I suppose we were jaded since we lived there for so many years prior to this visit.

Our tour guide was ok. But lacked some knowledge and didn't offer to find the answer to some guests questions. We were surprised that she hopped right by a couple of the signs that had been pointed out on previous tours. She also offered a bit of information that we hadn't heard before so that was good to hear.

You can see more old signs lit up nearby and not have to pay to see them. Right out front of the museum is one and just down the street are a few more. My suggestion is to go on the museum tour during the day (watch for the heat though!) and just drive down at night to see the ones lit without the tour. I truly think our pictures during the day tour show the signs much better. Note that the tour guide likes to keep moving and doesn't like stragglers who want to take pictures! If I'm there with all that beautiful Vegas history, I want to have a bit of time to capture it! I understand they have a schedule to keep, but perhaps there's a way to allow some time for photos.

Oh and as a note: Be careful of the pathways at night. They are lined with rocks that jut out. Mind your step! But in doing so you might miss a sign of interest! If you are visually impaired, this can be a dangerous tour as the pathways are not lit.

3 Thank Diane R

Been to The Neon Museum? Share your experiences!