“Had potential but fizzled”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #88 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I try and go to Vegas every couple a years to attend a hobby convention. We stayed on the strip last time, but decided this time we would explore down town. We found the hotel and was loving the pics of the newly updated rooms. It was a good price. We arrived to find the rooms were NOTHING like the pictures. The room we got had not been updated in the past 2-3 decades. When we asked about changing rooms the staff told us no, and we could not check out without paying the full price for the days we reserved. The floor had glitter from the last occupant on it. The couch was ripped. The bathroom was so small it was difficult to shut the door while inside. Then there was a mix up at the shuttle and we were not told the unmarked car was our shuttle so it left without us or without checking on where the reserved guest were that had call that morning to confirm the reservations. When I asked the valet he was rude to the point I felt threatened. Said it was my fault and walked away. When I went to the front desk to inquire what my options were, the girl at the front desk barely acknowledged me did not speak only shrugged. We went outside and started calling to see who we could get to come get us. After 30 min a different member of staff came up and offered to drive us. But not before a armed security guard came and took my information when I asked the staff member, what that was about, he said they were banning me from the hotel!!! Mismanaged, rude, outdated, there are so many better options just a few blocks away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank JoanofRouen
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to further investigate the issues. If you could direct message us on Facebook leaving the name and room # that you were booked under, and your email it would be greatly appreciated. We will be in touch. Thanks Again

Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I came to el Cortez because it got decent reviews and was by freemont st, which I love. I was on town for a conference and I knew I could ride the. Deuce.

The room is ok, but nothing to write home about. There was mildew in the bathroom, thou not much. The air filter was changed the day I arrived.

However, the price quoted me was not the one at the desk, thou not far off. I passed that off as a miscommunication. And the staff was very brusk with me whenever I asked about things, which I much more upsetting...

I really do not recommend this hotel at all, unless you don't intend on dealing with the staff. With the mildew, I certainly don't recommend it to anyone with breathing issues or a preteen.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank dep9130
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We are very disappointed to read of your experience. We would like to look further into the matter and take corrective action. It would be helpful if you could provide you name and room #, you can direct message us on our Facebook Page with this information. Thank You for taking the time to write about your experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We typically stay on the strip when visiting Vegas, but this time decided to stay in downtown, near Freemont Street. This hotel is right at the entrance to the Freemont Street Experience, so it's very convenient to food and entertainment. It's an old hotel, but is very well maintained. We stayed in a tower room and got a great mid-week rate. The room was nicely appointed and very comfortable. An attached parking garage makes it a short walk to the registration desk and elevators. Out the Freemont Street entrance and you are about a 30 second walk to Freemont Street Experience. The only thing we didn't like was the high number of homeless in the area north of the hotel, as we were driving in. There is considerable security at the hotel, including the parking lot and throughout Freemont Street Experience, so we did feel safe.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steven W

Thank you for the review and glad that you felt safe. We hope to have you back again soon! We appreciate the business. Take Care

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I enjoyed 5 nights in a Cabana Suite. The room was comfortable and more importantly, spotless. I dined at the Cafe Cortez several times and the food was bountiful and very reasonably priced. The Fremont Street Experience is an easy walk and I enjoyed exploring it, as well as the Neon Boneyard and the Mob Museum, which are. All within an easy walk. (The Neon Boneyard area appears a bit more sketchy and they recommend a ($5) cab ride for the evening tours). Naturally, did some gambling while in town and enjoyed not only alot of play for my dollar, but also appreciated the Casino's ongoing promotions.... I won a couple of jackets, valentine chocolates, and some added goodies.. The hotel provided a free, limited schedule, limo back to the airport. (For the ride to the hotel from the airport, there are several shuttle companies which provide inexpensive transportation to the differemt hotels). Thank you for a truly fun escape.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank moteladdict
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

That's what we love to hear, and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your great experience! We hope to have you back real soon. Take Care

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Enjoyed playing some of the newest slots in Vegas & actually WINNING !!!!!!!!!! The Cafe has excellent food & a varied menu....The New York Strip was FABULOUS & so was the Steak & Eggs Breakfast ......Got my Bugsy Siegal Silver Strike plus an extra one to boot on $10 bucks worth of play.,....WHAT LUCK !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: El Cortez SHOULD be on your list next visit !!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 127albertm
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Very happy to know that you enjoyed the food, and your stay. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon. Take care!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was thrilled when I got to the hotel, the location is amazing the charisma of being one of the original casinos in Vegas more than met my expectations !! I really don't understand why people comment that Freemont street is so far of a walk, it was literally a bock and a half a way, and the Duece (city bus) to the strip was right there on the corner as well. We had an amazing time during our entire stay, the casino was amazing, the dealers and staff were fantastic, Kit, and BeeBee at the Roulette table were amazing and super friendly. the rooms were clean. We stayed in a pavillion room on the fifth floor, and I guess if we had one complaint it would be that in the mornings when the carts were being pulled along the cement floor outside the room in the hallway, it was extremely loud. With that being said, I would reccomend this hotel to any and everyone, especially if you are on a budget. WE WILL BE BACK FOR SURE !!!

Room Tip: ask for a tower room, avoid the pavillion on the fifth floor if at all possible or you require a lot...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JACK R

We really do appreciate your kind words, and taking note of the cart issue. Hope to have you back again real soon! :)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Yes, great value, huge rooms that were very comfortable. We had 4 rooms on the 9th floor all with lovely views front and back. All quiet. The only minor drawback as far as being woken up was that the doors are difficult to close properly and people tend to slam them... at all hours. Yes, the tower rooms are a little worn, but I figure for the size and price it's a fair trade-off. Service was excellent, food at the café good and the location was perfect for us. There is a buffet and Triple George Grill around the corner and the container park was great for the kids. (The smoke in the casino was a bit overwhelming since we aren't used to smoking in public places, but we went out.)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank wowthanku

We appreciate your business, and apologies for the slight noise of the doors. Thanks again for the review it's much appreciated.