“60's Vegas”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #88 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The good, Angela at the desk, James in housekeeping, and the manger are quality people. They made my stay a very pleasant experience. It's an old hotel, but is very well maintained. I stayed in a vintage room with stairwell access only , I felt like I was back in time. The area is much improved over a few years ago.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank d e
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

We really do appreciate the kind words; we strive to provide the best customer service for our patrons. Hope to have you back with us soon!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the El Cortez for four nights....besides being low cost, the facility and its staff (including the casino) was great. They went out of their way to make this a pleasant experience. Was pleasantly surprised with the room. Besides very comfortable bed, there was a love seat, computer table, night tables on both sides of the bed.

For us, the room is just a place to sleep and maybe rest a bit....before going back out on the town or staying in the casino here....Just a comment, they still have many single-deck blackjack tables that pay 3-2 for a blackjack

Will stay here again if we come back to Vegas (which is doubtful)...will recommend to friends if they are determined to come to Vegas

Room Tip: stay in the tower rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ncpipingbob
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank You very much for your review; we really try to go above and beyond for our guests making sure they have a pleasant stay. Thanks again for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Take Care

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I try and go to Vegas every couple a years to attend a hobby convention. We stayed on the strip last time, but decided this time we would explore down town. We found the hotel and was loving the pics of the newly updated rooms. It was a good price. We arrived to find the rooms were NOTHING like the pictures. The room we got had not been updated in the past 2-3 decades. When we asked about changing rooms the staff told us no, and we could not check out without paying the full price for the days we reserved. The floor had glitter from the last occupant on it. The couch was ripped. The bathroom was so small it was difficult to shut the door while inside. Then there was a mix up at the shuttle and we were not told the unmarked car was our shuttle so it left without us or without checking on where the reserved guest were that had call that morning to confirm the reservations. When I asked the valet he was rude to the point I felt threatened. Said it was my fault and walked away. When I went to the front desk to inquire what my options were, the girl at the front desk barely acknowledged me did not speak only shrugged. We went outside and started calling to see who we could get to come get us. After 30 min a different member of staff came up and offered to drive us. But not before a armed security guard came and took my information when I asked the staff member, what that was about, he said they were banning me from the hotel!!! Mismanaged, rude, outdated, there are so many better options just a few blocks away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank JoanofRouen
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to further investigate the issues. If you could direct message us on Facebook leaving the name and room # that you were booked under, and your email it would be greatly appreciated. We will be in touch. Thanks Again

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I came to el Cortez because it got decent reviews and was by freemont st, which I love. I was on town for a conference and I knew I could ride the. Deuce.

The room is ok, but nothing to write home about. There was mildew in the bathroom, thou not much. The air filter was changed the day I arrived.

However, the price quoted me was not the one at the desk, thou not far off. I passed that off as a miscommunication. And the staff was very brusk with me whenever I asked about things, which I much more upsetting...

I really do not recommend this hotel at all, unless you don't intend on dealing with the staff. With the mildew, I certainly don't recommend it to anyone with breathing issues or a preteen.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank dep9130
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We are very disappointed to read of your experience. We would like to look further into the matter and take corrective action. It would be helpful if you could provide you name and room #, you can direct message us on our Facebook Page with this information. Thank You for taking the time to write about your experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We typically stay on the strip when visiting Vegas, but this time decided to stay in downtown, near Freemont Street. This hotel is right at the entrance to the Freemont Street Experience, so it's very convenient to food and entertainment. It's an old hotel, but is very well maintained. We stayed in a tower room and got a great mid-week rate. The room was nicely appointed and very comfortable. An attached parking garage makes it a short walk to the registration desk and elevators. Out the Freemont Street entrance and you are about a 30 second walk to Freemont Street Experience. The only thing we didn't like was the high number of homeless in the area north of the hotel, as we were driving in. There is considerable security at the hotel, including the parking lot and throughout Freemont Street Experience, so we did feel safe.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steven W

Thank you for the review and glad that you felt safe. We hope to have you back again soon! We appreciate the business. Take Care

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I enjoyed 5 nights in a Cabana Suite. The room was comfortable and more importantly, spotless. I dined at the Cafe Cortez several times and the food was bountiful and very reasonably priced. The Fremont Street Experience is an easy walk and I enjoyed exploring it, as well as the Neon Boneyard and the Mob Museum, which are. All within an easy walk. (The Neon Boneyard area appears a bit more sketchy and they recommend a ($5) cab ride for the evening tours). Naturally, did some gambling while in town and enjoyed not only alot of play for my dollar, but also appreciated the Casino's ongoing promotions.... I won a couple of jackets, valentine chocolates, and some added goodies.. The hotel provided a free, limited schedule, limo back to the airport. (For the ride to the hotel from the airport, there are several shuttle companies which provide inexpensive transportation to the differemt hotels). Thank you for a truly fun escape.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank moteladdict
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

That's what we love to hear, and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your great experience! We hope to have you back real soon. Take Care

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Enjoyed playing some of the newest slots in Vegas & actually WINNING !!!!!!!!!! The Cafe has excellent food & a varied menu....The New York Strip was FABULOUS & so was the Steak & Eggs Breakfast ......Got my Bugsy Siegal Silver Strike plus an extra one to boot on $10 bucks worth of play.,....WHAT LUCK !!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: El Cortez SHOULD be on your list next visit !!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 127albertm
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Very happy to know that you enjoyed the food, and your stay. We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon. Take care!