“Terrific place to stay and play!”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #87 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I first visited the El Cortez in the late '60's, and I was impressed by the fact that it was an unpretentious Hotel and Casino. The staff back then was very polite and attentive, and that has remained unchanged.
I enjoyed single-deck Blackjack, and the dealers are very personable, and polite.
I found nothing to complain about, but then I wasn't looking to complain. I feel as though some folks just have to say something negative - they can't help themselves.
It is not as fancy as the big strip hotels, but it does not try to be something it is not. I love the place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

That means the world to us and thank you for leaving such a kind review. Hope to see you again the near future. Take care!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very bad experience! The room we stayed in was supposedly a remodeled room, but when we arrived to the room it had a bad smell and was very dirty, stains all over the floor and a very dirty shower. The valet attendants were very rude as well. Would not recommend.

6  Thank Cynthia R
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hello Cynthia,

We do regret to hear about your experience. We would love if you could direct message us on Facebook, and give us more information on the room and name on the reservation. Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you

Reviewed 18 April 2014

you have to pay a resort fee, about 11.00 a day for valet and wifi. Thats not worth it. On the up side staff (including the casino) was great. They went out of their way to make this a pleasant experience..

1  Thank desertbandit
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

The new Amenity Fee includes:
- Unrestricted Wifi Access (Currently Wifi costs $11.99 per day per device, over $3 higher than the Amenity Fee.)
- One bottle of wine with dinner at The Flame*
- Entry to our daily $500 slot tournament
- Fitness Center access
- Free Parking in attached garage
- Two water bottles in-room daily
- Unrestricted local calls

The fee is $8.95 per day plus tax. This is paid directly to the El Cortez, not thru any third party.

Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff that means a lot to us. We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The good, Angela at the desk, James in housekeeping, and the manger are quality people. They made my stay a very pleasant experience. It's an old hotel, but is very well maintained. I stayed in a vintage room with stairwell access only , I felt like I was back in time. The area is much improved over a few years ago.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank d e
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

We really do appreciate the kind words; we strive to provide the best customer service for our patrons. Hope to have you back with us soon!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the El Cortez for four nights....besides being low cost, the facility and its staff (including the casino) was great. They went out of their way to make this a pleasant experience. Was pleasantly surprised with the room. Besides very comfortable bed, there was a love seat, computer table, night tables on both sides of the bed.

For us, the room is just a place to sleep and maybe rest a bit....before going back out on the town or staying in the casino here....Just a comment, they still have many single-deck blackjack tables that pay 3-2 for a blackjack

Will stay here again if we come back to Vegas (which is doubtful)...will recommend to friends if they are determined to come to Vegas

Room Tip: stay in the tower rooms
2  Thank ncpipingbob
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank You very much for your review; we really try to go above and beyond for our guests making sure they have a pleasant stay. Thanks again for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Take Care

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

My friend and I try and go to Vegas every couple a years to attend a hobby convention. We stayed on the strip last time, but decided this time we would explore down town. We found the hotel and was loving the pics of the newly updated rooms. It was a good price. We arrived to find the rooms were NOTHING like the pictures. The room we got had not been updated in the past 2-3 decades. When we asked about changing rooms the staff told us no, and we could not check out without paying the full price for the days we reserved. The floor had glitter from the last occupant on it. The couch was ripped. The bathroom was so small it was difficult to shut the door while inside. Then there was a mix up at the shuttle and we were not told the unmarked car was our shuttle so it left without us or without checking on where the reserved guest were that had call that morning to confirm the reservations. When I asked the valet he was rude to the point I felt threatened. Said it was my fault and walked away. When I went to the front desk to inquire what my options were, the girl at the front desk barely acknowledged me did not speak only shrugged. We went outside and started calling to see who we could get to come get us. After 30 min a different member of staff came up and offered to drive us. But not before a armed security guard came and took my information when I asked the staff member, what that was about, he said they were banning me from the hotel!!! Mismanaged, rude, outdated, there are so many better options just a few blocks away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank JoanofRouen
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to further investigate the issues. If you could direct message us on Facebook leaving the name and room # that you were booked under, and your email it would be greatly appreciated. We will be in touch. Thanks Again

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

I came to el Cortez because it got decent reviews and was by freemont st, which I love. I was on town for a conference and I knew I could ride the. Deuce.

The room is ok, but nothing to write home about. There was mildew in the bathroom, thou not much. The air filter was changed the day I arrived.

However, the price quoted me was not the one at the desk, thou not far off. I passed that off as a miscommunication. And the staff was very brusk with me whenever I asked about things, which I much more upsetting...

I really do not recommend this hotel at all, unless you don't intend on dealing with the staff. With the mildew, I certainly don't recommend it to anyone with breathing issues or a preteen.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank dep9130
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We are very disappointed to read of your experience. We would like to look further into the matter and take corrective action. It would be helpful if you could provide you name and room #, you can direct message us on our Facebook Page with this information. Thank You for taking the time to write about your experience.