“The Hotel was Fine -- Just a Bit too Smoky for Me”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #95 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Oakland, California
“The Hotel was Fine -- Just a Bit too Smoky for Me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've never stayed downtown and I wanted to give it a try so I went to the El Cortez. I actually liked the place. The tower room was perfectly fine and I was on the quiet side of the building. But the smoke that permeated the facility was more than I expected (even for an old school Las Vegas casino). Still it had a good vibe and I liked the proximity to Fremont Street (which was great). And the room price was pretty hard to beat.

2 Thank GoldenBear72
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We appreciate you staying with us, and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are always looking for ways to improve, so we appreciate your review. Hope to have you back again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Where in Vegas can you play single deck blackjack and get 3 to 2 on your blackjacks? The El Cortez that's where. Minimum bet is $5 and they have a cute side bet game where if your first two cards match suit they pay you 3 to 1 and 10 to 1 if you are lucky enough to get a king and queen suited. The dealers are great and treat you so nicely. I particularly liked playing in the early morning with Pen. She remembered me from previous trips and after playing with her on my first morning I would be greeted with a Good Morning Susan, every visit after that. The personal touch is so appreciated. Another of my favourite dealers is Di, who always wants me to win, but unfortunately the cards don't always go my way, but it is not so bad losing when you are getting a really great service. I stayed in Vegas for two weeks and gambled at the El Cortez every day. The only reason I don't stay here is because my sister likes to sunbathe and they have no pool. Their Club Cortez is definitely worth joining. I received $50 free slot play for my birthday and soon racked up enough comps and points for meals and free slot play. I entered their free slot tournament every day but was not lucky enough to win. The slots at El Cortez are quite generous and I love the fact that they have 50 hand penny poker machines, that the Golden Nugget have removed. The cocktail service at the Cortez was excellent and although I don't drink and gamble the cocktail waitress always asked if I was ok or needed anything. We were going to dine at the Flame on our last night but unfortunately it was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays so we ate at Café Cortez. I had the New York Strip and shrimp and my sister had the fried chicken. Both meals were very good quality and the restaurant was doing a roaring trade. Very good service from everyone I came across at this hotel from the dealers to the waitresses to the cashiers and security. Top class hotel and the best gambling there is in Las Vegas. I cannot praise this hotel highly enough. Please put in a pool so I can come and stop.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Vegasordie
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
We take a lot of pride in making sure our guests enjoy their time with us, and it's very nice to hear when our guests have such great experiences. Thank you so much for leaving such a nice comment, and we hope to have you back in the hotel soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is not to bad for the price. Its in a very popular part of Vegas just blocks from clubs, late night eateries and entertainment. Beware of hidden fees, the rooms are clean and decent for the price $20 to $50 (typically), but they do tack on an additional/mandatory $9 for some guest convenience fee,( It basically covers some hotel discounts and water, but isn't exposed until check-in). Its got a 24 hour subway on property and they feature a couple of bars. This was a decent stay-cation spot for those famous Vegas First Fridays nights.

Room Tip: See if you can get a Tower room they are a little more spacious.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leah L
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
We just wanted to let you know that we appreciate the business, and thank you for leaving us a review. We hope to have you back sometime soon, take care!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked our room in the tower. Just joking around I asked about the presidential suite. The lady at the front desk who was very nice offered to upgrade me to the cabana suite for free so of course I said yes. Well to get to the cabana suites you need to exit the casino and walk across a fairly busy street. Which isn't to fun when been drinking. Next time I will just stay in the tower which I have before and they are very nice. The cabana suite I had ended up being a handicapped one which everything is lower and im 6'4" and a lot smaller than a tower room. She was just trying to be nice but next time I'll pass on the upgrade. You also have to pay a $11/day (not included in your reservation) resort fee which gives you to bottles of water a day and free WiFi(which I could not get to connect all weekend and when I did it was slower than just using my regular cell service). So paying that a day is kinda pointless but You have no choice.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank bigmike11912
Alexandra E, General Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Hello,
We do apologize for the front desk clerk not fully explaining the Cabana Suites and the type of room you were being upgraded to. We will have our engineers and Cox Communications check the connections and speed of the internet service at the Cabana Suites. We do appreciate your comments to help maintain the service and quality we try to provide to all of our guests.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed three nights in a tower room in early May and was completely satisfied with the hotel, casino, and staff!

Hotel: Room was spacious, clean, and offered a great view of the strip. Amenities include flat screen T.V. with at least two dozen channels, in-room safe, refrigerator, loveseat, and a good sized computer desk. The bathrooms are dated (as many others have commented) but they are clean and functional. Check-in was quick and easy, and the prices at the gift shop are reasonable. These rooms are a great bargain for the price which they charge, even when taking into account the $8.95 amenities fee. This is not a luxury resort or a boutique hotel, but it doesn't pretend to be and does not charge those sort of rates either. Many of the negative reviews I see here appear to be from folks expecting a five-star room at these low prices or from chronic complainers who are impossible to please.

Casino: Love the low minimum bet table games, particularly the $3 craps table. The automated craps machine offers a $1 minimum bet, which I have not seen anyplace else in Las Vegas! The staff at the keno lounge are friendly and helpful and comp your drinks regularly. I am a non-smoker, and did not find the air in the casino to be smokey, although there is a unique scent from some type of perfumed air freshener (which I rather liked). Upon signing up for the Club Cortez program I was given a "fun book" with $5 match play, $5 meal comp, free drink, free keepsake, $5 free play, and other great offers! Most casinos do not give these out anymore (and if they do the coupons are only for a slight discount at one of their overpriced shops) so the El Cortez treats it's players better than most establishments, in my opinion.

The El Cortez is a throwback to an earlier era of Las Vegas. There is no pool, nightclub, ultra lounge, or expensive retail area, just the basics; a reasonable priced room and a player-friendly casino. I make it a point to stay at a different hotel each time I am in Vegas, but will happily make an exception for this establishment. Can't wait to go back to the El Cortez!

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms in the tower will be quieter than the south-facing odd numbered rooms.
1 Thank Tunnelrat383
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thanks again for taking the time to give us your thoughts! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and enjoyed the vintage feel that we offer! We welcome you with open arms anytime that you are in Vegas! Take care ;)
Crete, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Compared to hotels like 4 Queens and the D, the El Cortez offers larger, better furnished rooms, better TV service (including free Showtime and TMC) and a refrigerator in the room. Don't mistake this for a fancy hotel, as the furnishings are worn, but it has real wood furniture, windows that open, and large comfortable chairs and a couch for relaxing. The location is 2 blocks from the Fremont St Experience, which is close enough for walking, but far enough away to get away from most of the noise (a room facing the mountains will be quietest).
Like the other downtown hotels, they now charge a "resort fee", which is particularly insulting because they have no pool and say the fee is for free wi-fi--well, it's free but it's so slow it's useless (I connected with cellular service), so be sure to check carefully before booking anyplace.
By the way, you can get an airport shuttle from the airport to downtown for about $18 round trip ($70-80 with a cab), and it's usually pretty efficient. At the airport, it's located by the Southwest Airlines baggage claim.

3 Thank Tom709
Thank you for taking the time to give us a great review, we appreciate the business and hope to have you back some time soon!

February 14, 2014
Effective February 1, 2014 we have started charging an Amenities Fee.

The new Amenity Fee will include:
- Unrestricted Wifi Access (Currently Wifi costs $11.99 per day per device, over $3 higher than the Amenity Fee.)
- One bottle of wine with dinner at The Flame*
- Entry to our daily $500 slot tournament
- Fitness Center access
- Free Parking in attached garage
- Two water bottles in-room daily
- Unrestricted local calls

The fee is $8.95 per day plus tax. This is paid directly to the El Cortez, not thru any third party.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

take a trip back in time 50s-60s,stayed in the tower here 2-3 times over the last few years,great prices but they seem to be going up as the area is slowly improving,good size room,clean,good view,downtown is fun and cheap,thanks

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank casinoroyale159
Alexandra E, Manager at El Cortez Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
We are glad that you appreciated our vintage feel, hope to have you back again in the near future. Thanks again for staying with us, and have a great day!