“El Cortez”

Ranked #92 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Bay area
“El Cortez”
Reviewed 21 February 2006

The front desk is Rude and the note efficient at all!
They don't acccomadate any request even though it was already listed on the online reservation. The tower room we booked online was not given to us even though we paid for one. we got ripped off.

the bath tubs were scary looking and the shower heads so low, it was hard to take a shower if you were tall.
the beds were on the soft side.

the rooms and hall ways had horrible smells.

the only good thing was the very friendly maid.

the walls were thin, you can hear things easily, even when the room above you has the shower head on.

Don't stay unless you are dirt poor and have no place to sleep.

• Stayed February 2005
3 Thank fireice928

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 16 February 2006

The El Cortez Hotel is far, far nicer than some folks will admit. The rooms have been recently remodeled and totally refurbished to rival any on the "Strip". In fact, their rooms are the finest in the downtown area. I've stayed in the tower rooms, and they're comparable to the best anywhere, offering nice views and comfortable, rich furnishings. The housekeeping service was prompt and the staff assured my room was impeccably clean. I asked for an iron and ironing board, and it was delivered within minutes.

I found the best food in the area at the El Cortez too, especially the breakfast buffet on the weekend. There's a Subway and other Fast Food/Coffee venues as well. I particularly liked the 'specials' at Careful Kitty's Cafe for lunch and supper. I had a Prime Rib dinner with all the trimmings for less than $8, and it was delicious. Roberta's is the up-scale restaurant at the El Cortez, and I treated myself once to their Lamb one night. Spectacular, Primo, and what can I say... It was the best dining experience in downtown Las Vegas for the price.

The only thing could possibly complain about is the neighboring area just east of the El Cortez. If you're driving, please use the valet parking, or the self-parking. I've never had any problem in the 15 years I've walked around there, but if you walk from the Fremont Street Experience area, use your "street savvy". Well, that goes for all of Las Vegas...

Check the room rates at the El Cortez and then plan your vacation. You'll be very pleased with your room and the amenities!

16 Thank topat
Belen, NM
Reviewed 1 February 2006

The biggest thing I see going against the El Cortez is the location. We booked a jacuzzi suite in advance for $100 per night and the room was fabulous. It didn't have much of a view since the room overlooked the valet parking lot. We thought that was great as we could keep an eye on our vehicle. The room was spotless, new and I enjoyed the stay (especially the jacuzzi tub). We ate at the steakhouse and the food was neither to brag about nor gag about. It was excellent for the price and the service was good also. As for the casino, we aren't really gamblers but did piddle about a little. It was comfortable, quiet and paid back enough to at least let you sit and play a bit. My only gripe is that I missed the Freemont Street Experience because we were afraid to go out the front doors after dark. The locals in the area are not someone you want to have a conversation with. We stayed in the hotel and felt totally safe & comfortable, but nothing short of a bomb threat or earthquake could have gotten us to go out those front doors. Sirens went all night long, but I expect everyone in that area heard them, not just those of us in the El Cortez so I didn't hold that against them either. Service was very friendly and helpful. Again, my only real complaint is that I didn't feel safe walking nearly 2 blocks to Freemont so we didn't do it. My best advice if you are looking for a decent room and don't mind hiring a taxi is to book a suite in advance and at least enjoy the room. I've seen bad reviews on the older rooms, but the suite was really cherry and priced for less than what a standard room costs on the strip.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
14 Thank Shana W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 January 2006

We stayed there for four nights in a double-double Pavillion room. After reading about the "open-aired" "garage downstairs" review, I tried to get a tower room and was told they were all booked.
It is a motel-like room on the 5th floor (1-4 are garage). The room is clean. The bathroom is small, and there is no sitting area. Since we spent most of the time on Strip, it didn't bother us much.
I hanged the "donot bother" sign outside every morning, the maid didn't knock our door, but knocked all the others and shouting "room service" A little uncomfortable for us.
The casino was smokey, the front desk clerk was OK. But I really didn't think much of the food in the Kitty Cafe.
The most important part, the safety, which I worried a lot before the trip. The hotel is one block to the bus stop(Deuce) and two to the Canopy.
Although I didn't have any problem walking back to the hotel with my parents at night (the street is well lit and there are people walking around), the neighbourhood didn't look nice. I don't suggest walking alnoe at night.
In summary, considering the price, it is an acceptbale place, but a strip hotel will definetly be better. Don't forget that you need to take a bus to the strip. Sometimes, the trip would be longer than what you think. We spent one hour and 10 mins to get to MGM from Fremont.

• Stayed January 2006
7 Thank dreamsky
Proctorville, Ohio
Reviewed 2 January 2006

I had read the negative reviews and must admit I was worried about staying at this hotel. (We were there in August, 2005.) However, to my suprise, it was excellant! I have stayed at Mirage, MGM, Harrahs, etc. and they were also nice but way, way overpriced. I come to Vegas to gamble not stay in my room! Yes, the casino was a bit smokey, but bearable. I am not a smoker but I still gambled quite a bit at the El. The food was good and the rooms were clean. The bathroom was small but clean. Also, you didn't have to walk a mile to get to your room when you got off the elevator. (that's nice after all the walking that you do while in town) The crowd was a little older than the strip crowd. However, this was not an issue for us. I agree that this is not the place to stay if this is your first trip to Vegas, but I believe this is by far the best value in Vegas for seasoned Vegas vacationers! By the way, we plan to be in town again next week, staying at the El Cortez!

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank mbias
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 December 2005

We were under a budget for this trip to vegas. We read reaviews and after many others who have already been to vegas warning us about "downtown" I am glad we booked this hotel. The staff was a bit rude and slow at times, but you pay what you get for. The room was VERY large in the tower (compared to what I've stayed in at other budget hotels). The rooms did not reek of smoke(we stayed in a smoking room, our friends did smoke next door) The bathrooms were a bit weird and the showers could use some attention (the shower heads sprayed weird) All in all, the 40 bucks a night was well worth it compared to the hundereds to stay on the strip. As for safety, I personally felt safer downtown in Fremont than on the strip. We saw plenty of officers and bike cops downtown. When we were on the strip it seemed like every few inches we were being harrassed by the "strippers direct to you" people. I would highly recommend this hotel to any budget traveler.

• Stayed October 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
melbourne, australia
Reviewed 10 November 2005

I had read the reviews prior to booking about the El and had mixed feelings about staying here but couldn't resist it as the rates were so cheap for the weekend.

We managed to get a tower room on the top floor with a fantastic view of the strip. We requested a non smoking room (I am a smoker but my husband is not), and they could not accommodate us, however, the room was not smokey at all, and it had a nice big window you could open up! Only negative about the room was you could hear what was happening in the room next to you and people in the hallway, especially housekeeping early in the morning. We hung our do not disturb sign out each night and were not intruded upon by housekeeping, contrary to some previous reviews we had read.

Yes, the casino is SMOKEY to the extreme, and even being a smoker I could not hang out in the casino for too long. My husband wanted to walk up to Fremont Street on our first night and I was reluctant because of what I had read about it being too risky to walk from the El to Fremont Street after dark, but my husband assured me he would look after me!!! All concerns were unfounded - it is ONLY about 100 yards and quite well lit up so we didn't see what the issues were all about. It was fine.

We didn't gamble too much at the El as they only had single deck blackjack so we did most of our gambling at other casinos, however, we probably had our best meals in Vegas at the El. We had lunch at Careful Kitty's one day which was surprisingly good, and we had dinner the first night at the steakhouse restaurant, and loved the meal and service so much we went back the next night. Do not underestimate this restaurant - better than most we ate at in Vegas on our trip.

The clientele at the casino we found interesting, however, security was on hand quickly for the couple of minor incidents we witnessed!

I only had two complaints about the El. One already mentioned about the smokey casino - the other the elevators - scarier than riding up the top of The Stratosphere. Never felt I was going to make it to the top floor and avoided going to my room unnecessarily. (I'm not one much for heights at the best of times and do have a problem with a bumpy ride!)

Overall, the casino I would rate as ordinary, the location is not as scary as some people have mentioned, the food in the steakhouse was great, and for the money you pay it is fantastic value if you are not after all the frills and swankiness of Vegas.

• Stayed October 2005