“We love this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #98 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Omaha, Nebraska
“We love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

Everything about this hotel appealed to us.The room was spacious,clean,&charming.We will stay here everytime we come to Vegas.

1 Thank LinOz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Hanford, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

The location of the Hotel was perfect! Right on Fremont Street only a block or so from The Fremont Experience but we could not get away from the Cigarette smell! We were in a Non-Smoking Room but it didnt matter it smelled very strongly of Cigarettes! I can handle to smoke in the Casino but in a Non-Smoking Room, I just did not expect it to be so bad! Also, the AC was not working! Customer Service Desk did send someone out to look at it but did not help! Had it set at lowest temp but was probably 85+ in there all night! I suggest to anyone who stays here, non smokers especially, to ask for a room that is detatched from the Casio! Also I think they should keep a few Fans on hand for just in that case! Im not sure I would stay here again! Definately NOT for kids! We also booked a room with a King size bed but only got a Queen! Rooms definately smaller then they look in the pictures online!!!! No Fridge or Microwave or even a desk to sit with a computer!

2 Thank blumoon68

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Castlegar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

I guess it might be owing to its location, but the El Cortez seems to try harder than most other downtown hotels and still offers decent quality for a good price. We stayed three nights in the Tower Rooms, which were huge and just fine in every way. Maid service was a bit spotty and some minor maintenance requested wasn't performed but there were just no hassles that we've experienced in other Vegas hotels. The fun book offers some nice discounts (make sure to request it on registering) and the casino is mellow and has the comfortable "old fashioned Vegas" feel that the management touts. They also offer a free shuttle trip back to the airport: a nice little saving without the grief of hoping that Grey Line will show up on time.

2 Thank riderfan23
Colo. Springs, Co.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

We went to this Hotel on 7/14/10- 7/16/10 for our 41st Anniversary and checked in and was told there was no smoking rooms after we had requested a smoking room, I even called ahead to see if they had smoking rooms and was told that they did have them. Was told by the check in clerk they are a none smoking Hotel. The rooms are terrible the bath tub looked like it was stained into the tub, the casino does not have a good choice of playing machine unless u like poker or 1 cent machines. I was willing to forgive all that until our last day when I tried to get a cup of coffee while at a machine and was told by the waitress "That is not my section and do not touch me" all I did was tap her on the shoulder to get her attention. Went and talked to a manager about this and was told by him "They just woke up and may be a little cranky that's just the way it is". We spent a lot of money there, we booked through Allegiant's Air. I don't mind the none smoking but let me know before hand and give me the option to get a smoking hotel, I feel like they decieved us to get the business and to make you come down stairs to smoke so you will play the machines, and that is wrong. No place to sit and smoke and it's too hot outside.I give the Sub Shop there a A+ the only good experince I had there the ladies was nice. The food in the Resturant was not good but the service was OK. Oh yes the sink in the bath room made a bubbling sound like waterr draining all night, the air did work and the bed seem clean, the room smelled musty, a little air febreze goes a long way.Bottom line I wa so unhappy. So the El Cortez for me you get an F-- You need to change the way your Hotel is ran, and be honest with people up front, and stop lying to get the business. If the workers don't like their job then GET ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GOOD WITH THE PUBLIC. One other waitress was also rude when I moved to another machine she told me when I tried to get a cup of coffee or some water to take my meds "I just left there and I have to do my up stairs area". Well she never came to me and I was sitting and playing at a machine. So I went to the Sub Shop and bought a cup of water to take my meds I am glad I did not have a real bad medical problem because I would have not been able to take my meds. "Just thought you would like to know how we was treated while we was there." I am 59 yrs old and my husband is 60 yrs old and a retiered Air Force serviceman have traveled the world and never seen service like this. Would like to here from some one. Thanks Bob & Bea Arnold VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS.

3 Thank ladybea60
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

I agree with all the good comments already written. I had a king bed on the 12th floor of the tower - booked through 1800 Hotels.com - 5 nights for £97 which included the 4th July holiday weekend. Large rooms with lots of furniture to stow your things away; writing desk; ample room to stow your luggage; room safe big enough for a 15" laptop; good sized bathroom; clean, everything worked; nice view. I requested a refridgerator and one was wheeled up within the hour. WiFi was available but not included in the room rate. A flat 24hrs cost $11.99.

All the staff were pleasant and friendly... many of them having worked for the hotel a number of years. Clientel tended to be regular locals and predominently 'older', unlike the hoardes of overseas young tourists in the strip hotels. I only once saw children in the casino and they were part of a family heading to the cafe for a meal. I liked that the slots and tables were well spaced in the casino, so there was ample room to move around. The decor was low key unlike the bright glitz and glamour of many strip casinos - so unobtrusive on the eye. Security was ever present and reassuring.

The food was good value altough you might on occasion have to wait for it. The $7.95 rib meal offered good value although I couldn't eat it - all the steaks were bought-in pre-rubbed with pepper, and pepper is something I can't stomach. You could use your accumulated points from your casino membership card to pay or part pay for meals, and all new arrivals were given 3 x 50% coupons to use in the cafe.

The location was just 2 short blocks aware from the Freemont Experience where it was easy to pick up the Deuce or Ace buses to go up the strip or down to the shopping outlets. Noticed a couple of vagrants in the general area at night but nothing to be afraid of. Just across the street from the casino was a handy convenience store. I couldn't hear any noise from the Freemont Experience at night and enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep every night.

I made a point of visiting many of the strip hotel casinos and as a comparison they were very crowded and far noisier. Outside you had crowds on the sidewalk to negotiate. So I was very pleased with my choice of hotel and would stay again.

The El Cortez has a lot in its favour and was voted by one of the local magazes as best downtown hotel 2009. I would definitely stay again and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone looking for a 'down to earth' best value hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank MajorBlow
Tulsa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

If you are going to Las Vegas to gamble I would stay FAR AWAY from the El Cortez.

I have been going to Las Vegas for years and have NEVER experienced machines tighter then in this place. There are signs hanging all over the casino telling you how "loose" their machines are, but as I experienced first hand this could not be further from the truth.

Do you like cops? If not then don't stay at the El Cortez. Why? Because they are everywhere. However not for your security, but to keep the riffraff out of the place. When we stayed there last week we watched the police kicking in the door at the Motel 6 across the street along with several other arrests we saw in just a short 3 day stay.

If you plan on visiting Las Vegas to gamble BEWARE of the El Cortez!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank GamblingMan69
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

This is my third time at the El Cortez and my second time staying in the tower. I have stayed in the Cabana Suites, stayed in a Tower Suite and this time I stayed in a Tower King room. The rooms are nicer, bigger and more affordable than similar rooms I have stayed in on the strip. Check in was a breeze and you simply will not get better food for the price than you will get at The Flame. The prices are insanely low. I'm one of those people that gets kind of nervous when I see a steaks priced in the low 20's and huge sides for under five dollars, but honestly, the food is awesome. The decor in the room needs a little help, but who cares? This was my longest trip to Vegas, almost two weeks, and I always felt at home and really appreciated the staff. Give this place a shot, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business