“Good budget option on the strip”

Stratosphere Hotel, Casino and Tower
Ranked #109 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
hove
“Good budget option on the strip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2007

I was a little worried from reading some of the reviews on here but it turns out the Strat is a perfectly good base to use for your Vegas trip.
I managed to wangle a double room for $38 a night Mon-Thurs from their website by booking in advance. This is rediculously cheap for what you get. I would say the hotel is probably a 3 star european wise. You do get a mix of middle america here with a few odd balls who doubt were taken by the price. Unlikely Paris Hilton will be staying anytime in the future

Casino is O.K. if a little characterless. Some low limits on the blackjack. Buffet is reasonable if nothing more and the rest of the eateries are O.K Shopping concourse is a bit on the tacky side...but hey 38$ people!!!
Rooms were very clean, nice bathroom and we had a great view of the mountains. Rooftop pool are was surprisngly good with basketball, ping pong , towels, bar etc.
The one and only drawback that I can see is that you are at the very end of the strip. Forget about walking it is way too far. The Deuce bus which in principal is a good idea..takes forever to go down the strip (stops +traffic) and you really don't want to be waiting in the heat in the middle of July for a bus...we ended up gettting taxis whcih never cost more then about 10$ which go the parallell roads.
We ended up spending most of the evenings in the other amazing hotels on the strip which are nicer but much more expensive. Circqu de Soleils Love is awesome and worth checking if yu can get a ticket.
The area outside the Hotel isn't the classiest in the world but it isn't too bad.

It short I would recommend this for those in search of a bargain. If you want a really fancy hotel in the middle of the action stay at the Bellagio or Caesar's Palace and take out a loan with your bank manager.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — distance from the action
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,899)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

As most places on the Strip are charging top prices for their accommodation, the Stratosphere gives you a good budget option. The rooms are pretty much standard but had nicer furniture than like minded places. The location of the hotel, be warned, is not actually on the Strip, but a 15 minute walk from the Mirage. The staff weren't very friendly, but as it's only a 5 minute relationship you'll have it's not something to spoil your opinion. The free laundry machines were a good extra, and the pool area was also quite nice. I stayed here, but didn't gamble, as I felt that should be done in one of the more established places.

• Liked — Value for money, free laundry machines
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

After reading all of the negative reviews before I stayed at the Stratosphere, I thought it only fair to add a little balance. Also, bear in mind that usually it's only people that had a bad experience that write reviews. There are hundreds of people that stay at this hotel every day, who probably had a wonderful time that don't say anything.

Any way, my wife and I had just that! We had a great time staying at this hotel. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. We cheched in at 7:30pm and there was no line. Got a great room with a view of the strip at no extra cost. Room was clean. Express check out just drop your keys and go! The casino atmosphere is much more relaxed and easy going than at the other strip hotels. Unlimited access to the tower is included, so it's great place to sit and have your morning coffee while enjoying the best view in Vegas. The pool isn't over crowded, plus the bartender at the poolside bar is frickin' hilarious! Had breakfast at the Courtyard Buffet which was really nice.

Sure it's on the north end of the strip, which kind of sucks. But here's my number one Vegas tip: rent a car! It's so fast getting around if you just drive on one of the roads parallel to the strip. We left the Strat. at 8pm and made it to Paris for an 8:20pm dinner reservation, and that includes parking and walking from the lot to the restaurant. Plus there's the satisfaction of cruising up the strip in your air-conditioned car while everyone else is sweating there [--] off on the sidewalk!

All in all we had a great stay and would definitely come back to this hotel! And I'm not easy to please. If I had a bad experience i would definitely mention it.

• Liked — Easy-going Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Distance to other casinos on the strip
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VancouvertoVegas
Cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2007

I got a clean, mini-suite room with a king-sized bed for $45.
That kind of says it all. If you are just looking for a clean room on The Strip (albeit, at the farthest northern end, and halfway to downtown), The Strat is tough to beat. If a bargain is what you're after, you have a car or are willing to take the bus, and if you don't mind putting up with some annoyances, book your room.
First, the good stuff: Wait, I just said it all above. To expand, the room was impeccable, and very quiet. They also gave me a "fun book" for my $5 "resort fee" that included a ride to the top, which is the tallest structure west of the Mississippi.
Now, the bad stuff: I didn't get in until about Midnight on a Sunday night, and was exhausted, and wanted nothing more than a shower and a bed. Instead, I was greeted by a line for check-in that weaved through all the "maze," and extended out into the casino. I signed and got in line, which moved at a sloth-like pace. At least one guest thought it would be helpful to start yelling at the clerks, which only soured the atmosphere in the stratosphere even more. To be fair, two of the clerks were really struggling with a really obnoxious couple who had enough paper to indicate they were buying the place, and took up about 30 minutes of time.
Though the room was clean and offered a nice view, there was a cigarette burn in the comforter, and one of the light bulbs was burned out.
The most bizarre thing about the room - I kid you not - was the toilet seat. I don't know if they only ever put women in this room or what, but there was no way that toilet seat would stay up short of duct tape or a piece of rope. And it didn't seem that the toilet seat was broken; rather, it seemed that the toilet water tank juts out too far to allow the seat to stay upright. I would love to have seen the face of the guy that decided to buy these toilets, especially if every room has the same problem.
Finally, the buffet is crummy. Even with the $2 guest discount for a lunch buffet, you're better off going elsewhere. Think wilted salad greens and frozen pizza and you get the idea. That is about exactly what I had.
Having said all that, The Strat is about the best deal you're ever going to get on The Strip. If you don't have your heart set on staying on The Strip, I'd suggest staying Downtown, which I find a much more satisfying experience overall, and for the same price. (See my review of The Four Queens). Also, keep in mind that walking The Strip from The Strat just isn't an option, given its location.
Hey, what do you expect for such a bargain rate? At this price, lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank kabbagehead
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2007

Was annoyed at the long wait at check-in at 1.30am and then being told our on-line reservation couldn't be honoured as they did not have the requested room available. We took what they had on the 10th floor as we had spent 13hours travelling and were too tired to argue. We were told to phone down the next day and they would move us to another room which they did (21st floor) and that was a nicer room. Other than that bad experience we enjoyed our stay at the Stratosphere. The casino was great, the show "Bite" was really enjoyable and with the Deuce buses right outside we found it no problem getting up and down the Strip. The Outlet Malls are an absolute must with bargains for everyone. We found the shopping fantastic. The weather was great, although a bit hot and we had water bottles permanently fixed to our hands.

Would definitely stay at the Stratosphere again.

• Liked — Value for Money
  • Disliked — Check-in and location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank greeneyesnz
Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2007

As A ultimate rewards card holder "HIGH ROLLER" I understood we would have a nice room. As upgraded rooms are a perk in being a high roller. My friend came with me and I had made a quick trip back because of the free rooms and other offers. Prior to arrival I told my friend that the Stratosphere was a great place to stay! We were sent to a room in world tower ll and as we approached the room walking down the hall I could smell very rank garbage...that was not what I expected to incounter.A clear bag of old garbage beside my room door. With discuss I called to have it cleaned up. The room was a lot smaller and older than the first time I stayed at the hotel. So being a high roller was turning into a low class situation..hm......Management was great at trying to solve our problems. Nobody ever knew what was going on and the people at the rewards desk never knew what was going on ....not much knowledge of the rewards rules....We became so stressed out at one point my friend said lets just forget this and enjoy the trip..I encouraged her that she would be mailed out offers so gamble and make the points. As I did......I paid more for my room than everyone else that I asked...The hotel said thats because I booked with them not online... Big Deal when I booked I asked if I would receive the online rates and was told yes.. More problems...The tub and sink in the room would not drain properly as I had to shower in the soap scum from my friend ..yuck...A friendly asst manager did move us to a different room . This helped improve my stay.It was still a regular room too. I checked my Mastercard and found out the hotel charged 390.00 for my room .I had a free 3 nights stay ..Had to make another trip to the desk to straighten it all out..On our last day we had a late check out. We came back from shopping and the room keys would NOT work but lucky our luggage was still in the room... More hassle.My personal belief about the rewards cards is they controll your win I'm probably wrong but when I played without it I won. The first night I put 7 hundred dollars in a multi keno machine and won nothing. The rewards centre was totaly aware that I spent a lot of money yet I had not many points adding up on the card..They also said that they have no reason as to how the points add up on different games ..it was just whatever. I stayed in the hotel in April May and June wanting to become a regular customer. But now that I came home my offer is the same offer that everyone else gets. Nothing special... Maybe I will go to Circus Circus nest visit as the stratosphere only gives the special once...as in my case...Truly I was insulted to read the offer to be lower rates and 2 for 1 show tickets. big deal how many time can a person go to see Bite and American Superstars. This time I never even received a room or meals...Its all a gimic in my mind. But at the same time it only leaves a bad taste and makes a person wiser about free stuff... If it sounds to good to be true it is. I have recomended this hotel to many people and the rewards. In the future I'll probably say all the hotels are the same....They just want your money. Even if you get free stuff in the end you will pay the price...It just sucks when you get bad service and pay the price....Not a satisified customer.......

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — garbage in hall and sink and tub not draining, charges on my credit card..Being locked out of room before the late check out
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank problemtravler

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2007

We left our house on the Thursday at 11-00 am, to catch a bus from Nottingham to Gatwick. This had broken down so we were running late when the replacement arrived. Got to the Hilton hotel at Gatwick for about 17-30. After booking in went to the Virgin twilight booking in, and had a couple of drinks in the terminal bars. Got back to the hotel and went for an evening meal, was charged £5-45 for a bottle of water, not amused. Next day went early to our boarding gate, even though we had in theory no need to, but due to increased security was advised to get there early. Should have flown at 11-30, but when we were all boarded advised that the pilot had gone sick so we had to wait for his replacement. This took 2 hours, then a 10-00 hour flight, then queing at the American airport for 2 hours for security checks. It really tested my tollerance. The Stratosphere is the cheap end of the hotels, but it is perfectly adequate. The only problem is that it is at the bottom of the strip, and took a good 25 minuites to walk to the next hotel on the strip, and with temperatures at 110 degrees, no thanks. Las vegas is really a place for stag, and hen parties, it is an eye opener, and one i am glad we have done. Especially the helicopter flight over, and in to the Grand canyon. But never again!!!!!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Location