“Unique and Enjoyable Experience”

Element Las Vegas Summerlin
Ranked #94 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
West Jordan, Utah
“Unique and Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

A family function in Vegas. My brother booked on hotwire and this is the hotel he ended up getting. So my parents and I decided to stay at the same hotel. Good AAA rates. My wife and I booked a studio suite.

Checking in was simple enough. There is even a kiosk at which you can check in if you have the credit card you paid with. I wanted to confirm we weren't on the highway side of the hotel so I checked in with the staff. The guy seemed somewhat new or in training. He did a fine job but didn't confirm the rate, so I went back later as I was bringing my bags in to double check.

The whole place is very unique. Four floors, two wings. One wing perpendicular to Hwy 215, the other parallel. The lobby has an open air look, and some fresh herbal kind of smell. Furniture is contemporary retro. Like those chic 50s/60s movies, simple geometric shapes. Subtle grays, whites, and muted greens. Very unique.

The elevator was broken on floor four you had to use the service entrance to the elevator. We were on third floor, room 312. A studio king. Great to have the kitchen. Full size fridge, toaster, little sink, dishwasher, dishes, utensils, a sauce pan and sautee pan, 2 burner stove (no oven.) A safe I could fit our laptop into. No dresser, just shelves in a few places and a closet to hang your clothes. A functional desk for the laptop.

I couldn't find a wired internet connection, but wireless was snappy (Did speedtest.net @ ~5 Mbit/s upload and download) and pretty much just worked when I found the unsecured network named "element" and connected.

There is a "media cube" that you can connect RCA Video/Audio, 3.5mm phone jack, and/or RGB cable into, as well as HDMI. The TV just pipes in the audio video if you plug it in. We watched some Netflix watch now from our laptop without a hitch. The room has a DVD player so you can rent or bring DVDs or pay-per-view (though you'd be insane at 15.99 per movie for PPV!) There was a printed note on the "media box" that said they had cables at the front desk. We called about an audio cable and they said, "Sorry, we don't have any cables" - and they even seemed a little surprised. That wasn't good. It's okay that they don't have them - if they don't have official papers saying they do!

We didn't use the pool but my brother and kids did. Despite the welcome sheet saying, "our pool is 85 degrees year round", it was NOT 85 degrees. In the hot weather, they had decided to turn off the heater, I think - because my brother and kids didn't use it for long. Also has a strange 6" deep section that is like a 1/3rd of the pool, and it goes to about 4.5' deep at the deepest where it isn't the 6" shelf.

My wife made oatmeal on the stove with the saucepan, used their utensils, all purpose measuring cup, and dishwasher, worked like we were at home.

Place has a nice big couch, wraps around the corner of the room with a sofa sleeper. The bed was marvelous. No cotton blankets which is what my wife and I prefer- only feather/polyester comforters, my wife was allergic to the comforter but they did bring us up a wool blanket when we called and asked.

Bathroom was great. Good lighting, big mirror, a low counter with unique sink that sat on top. Rain-style shower with a separate sprayer on a hose. Only thing some might not like is that it is shower only and/or that the shower is clear glass floor to ceiling. So if you have a teenager that wants to shower without being seen, you must give them the whole bathroom.

A/C unit didn't work quite right. Seemed to blow forever and never say it was colder but froze us. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, but we had to just turn it up/down depending on how we felt, just couldn't set it. The thermostat in my parents' room (a 1 bedroom, room 422) seemed to work fine.

Bedroom door in the 1 bedroom suites is a sliding door, it doesn't lock.

Most hotels have a booklet with detailed information on services and amenities. We looked all over for it when we showed up. They had little "official" scraps of paper around describing various things, and one letter size sheet with a sentence about each amenity. Quite the paltry documentation.

The breakfast was good on Sunday (hot eggs/sausage/pancakes, Cereals/pastries/juices/breads/yogurt/fruit) and okay on Monday (same cold stuff, but only hot things were a breakfast burrito). They did offer a healthy alternative to the burrito - one made with egg whites and no sausage.

SUMMARY:

Service - The minuses were for the only okay trained desk staff, no audio cable when they said they have cables, for saying the pool is 85 when it wasn't, seemed a little short staffed. Still haven't fixed the elevators (there is an earlier post about that)
Cleanliness - was impeccable.
Location - A little out of the way, but on 215 for good access to west Vegas area.
Value - With out AAA rate, the value was excellent. All annoyances were pretty minor, and for the price, easily overlooked.
Rooms - There were a few quirks (blankets, A/C), and the contemporary angular furniture isn't the most comfortable, but the beds are great
Sleep Quality - Excellent

I would recommend. We will likely come back if in the area again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I was going to be in Las Vegas 1 day before my friend, so I decided to try the Element brand as I had not stayed in one and am a Platinum member of Starwood Preferred Guest. I read the reviews on this site and was a little excited to see the hotel and the concept.

When I arrived, the guy who checked me in was pleasant enough, but he did not acknowledge me as a Platinum member, nor did he offer the Platinum amenity. I also kind of thought I might be given an upgraded room since the parking lot was less than half full. No such luck. With that said, I was nothing but pleased with the room, and would happily stay there again if I had to spend time in the area alone. I loved having a kitchen and full refrigerator. I loved the room, and those Heavenly Beds.

The following morning one of the elevators was not working properly and several people were complaining that they were stuck on the elevator for a few minutes. When myself and another guest complained to the front desk, we were told that the elevator repair company had been notified and that it would be fixed. I guess I expected them to shut down that elevator while waiting on a repairman, but no such luck. I hope no one else got stuck, but I'm afraid they did. Other than that, I had a great stay at the Element in Summerlin, and even won a few hundred dollars on a slot machine the next exit up 215 at Red Rock Casino.

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Murnau, Germany
Reviewed 24 July 2010

the complete other way to stay in Las Vegas! for everybody who likes to see and visit all famous places, Restaurants, Casinos, Shows and... and....and in Las Vegas, but during the night you are looking about a nice qnd quiet place to rest and sleep, here are absolutly right. 15 to 20 minutes by car and you are around the strip, 10 minutes and you stay in a famous desert landscape. the hotel is modern with nice rooms incl. a kitchen whatever you need you will find! Outdoor pool, bar..... that's the place!

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank Gecko007Munich
Temecula, California
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This is my kind of hotel. Up-to-the-minute amenities, clean lines, easy access, and far away from the “maddening” crowd. It’s certified Green, and feels cool and refreshing to come home to after the insanity of the Strip. The colors and furnishings are a mid-century modern and Asian blend; the feng shui of the room was perfect. Love the faux bamboo floor (obviously laminate but felt clean), the super comfortable bed and linens, and FREE internet access, something I had an issue with at another Westin hotel. Add a kitchen with dishwasher, stove, pots and pans and a full-size fridge, what more could you want? There was even a roll of paper towels. With all this stuff and a big flat-screen TV on a swivel, the room doesn’t feel cramped.
Some of the little touches I liked were the “Do Not Disturb” sign: a flat magnet that attached to the outside of the door-what a great idea! I also liked the low-key fan in the bathroom that prevented the mirror from fogging up after a shower. And the windows actually opened.
I do agree with the other review that mentions noise from the room above. I’m not sure what could be done about that.
The breakfast is included and consisted of English muffin and egg sandwiches with or without bacon, bagels, toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, way more than the obligatory coffee and Danish. I thought the service in general was fine, but the girl taking care of the breakfast tables the day we were there can only be described as surly. Other than that, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa S
Dover, MA
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Hello everyone I am an SPG Platinum member and stayed at the Element LV Summerlin last week. This is my first stay at Element by Westin and I was very impressed. This is a brand new hotel for Starwoods.
The hotel is located in Summerlin NV and its about a 20 min drive from airport and 15-20 drive to the "strip".
The hotel is located right off the exit on 215. There is free parking and a pool for guest to use. Checkin was a breeze and I was given a 4th floor( top floor) 1 bedroom suite. The room overlooked the pool and rear parking lot and had distance views of the strip.
The room itself was very nice. It had a full kitchen small living room with sofa/flat screen and a bedroom with another flat screen in it. The bathroom was nice with a rain shower head.

There is a buffet breakfast in the am and free internet with printer in the lobby. I did use the fitness center and it had treadmills/elipitcal and weights. I did not use internet in the room since I did not have my laptop with me. I was in Vegas to play in the WSOP.
I paid $100 for the room and was very impressed w/ the quality and amenties that the hotel has to offer. The value propostion is there because if you want something away from the strip this hotel cant be beat. For $100 I got a great room, free breakfast, free internet, pool and gym. The only thing was I had to drive to the strip but i wanted to check out this SPG property and thats why I stayed. It was worth the trip and the rest of my time I stayed at the Encore and Westin LV. Please ready my reviews on both. Any questions please let me know

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank PlatinumPete
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Stayed here last weekend and was totally impressed with the layout of the hotel, the in-room space and amenities, the first-rate gym and pool, and the excellent breakfasts. Evening snacks could have been more varied and plentiful thoug but the hostess was superb in all respects. Excellent location right off the 215 which is not nearly as noisy as some have written. That said, the young women on the morning shifts, and one rather large one working nights, seem to have thought that their looks would have landed them in a far more glitzy property than this one, where they could meet their first in a series of male benefactors. Too bad girls, you're just not cute enough. They acted as if questions from guests were totally unwarranted and bothersome. With forced smiles they responded only after they exhausted some guests. And that's when they were in attendance! I'm sorry but as nice as the hotel is physically, and as convenient, it's really not all that hard to find people to work there who are a) friendly, b) competent, c) pleased to have a job where they can shine and perhaps be noticed, and d) leaving an overall positive impression with guests. This is not a hard problem to solve, given the unemployment rate in Las Vegas. Since others have written similar comments, one wonders about the general manager, who never made an appearance during my stay to introduce himself to guests at breakfast or evening get togethers. Someone needs to take notice.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Cathedral City, California
Reviewed 26 June 2010

What a find! The hotel was within a reasonable distance of the Convention Center (10 minutes) and very economical. I had a 'suite' which had more than I needed but certainly all I could want. It included a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, fully equipped kitchen (pots, pans, dishes, toaster, etc.), desk and extra couch. All that plus a king sized bed which was very comfortable.

It is exceptionally clean and the hotel staff are great. The breakfast was included and very well balanced.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business