“A good location - too far to walk to the strip”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Desert Club Resort
Ranked #39 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Rutland, United Kingdom
“A good location - too far to walk to the strip”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We have stayed here before it became Holiday Inn - both visits with a RCI Exchange - Clean and moderately large units. The 2 bedroom unit gives more general space compared with the 1 bed unit.

Good bathroom, kitchen and appliances - poor crockery & cutlery. A full refurbishment is in progress and we saw some of the new rooms - great decor but still the same chunky crockery & cutlery - no scissors, no kettle, and gas hobs - electric would be safer - also the kitchen extractor should go to air outside.

We should have had a mid week room service but had to ask to get the towels changed - and those were thrown on the floor in a bag - the old ones left in the bathroom - and no linen change.

Best to have a car - shuttle bus helpful but the LV Strip is a long walk away

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
conwy
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We had a suite , it had the works! TV,DVD player,washing machine, tumble dryer,living room/dining room,great kitchen area,two massive bedrooms and a balcony. Well laid out complex but very large so the hotel lays on a free mini bus to the main gate and free shuttle bus to the Strip. Each block of apartments have a swimming pool just for their use (opened by key code) and a main pool behind reception. On site shop has food and essentials as well as some t-shirts,postcards etc. No lifts in apartment blocks so upper floors no good for disabled and ground floor balconies have no privacy, and mentioning privacy....the master bedroom has no doors between the bedroom itself and the bathroom (separate toilet luckily! ) just an archway, ok for couples who don't mind bathing/dressing in front of each other not so good for friends or family members sharing the room

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our villas to be spacious and comfortable. Our owners and guests enjoy the amenities and services, as well as the great location right of the strip!

Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to your return stay!

A.Lugo
Ballwin, Missouri
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Our family of 6(2 adults and older kids ages 17,15,13,10) stayed here March 2013. We loved everything about this 2 bedroom suite! It provides laundry(with daily refills of detergent and fabric softener) right off the kitchenette with a door that closes so it doesn't disturb you if running it at night. The kitchenette had a dishwasher(which the cleaning people put in the soap and turned on when they came to clean the room for us) and ample supplies to cook and eat out of(including coffee maker with some coffee and a toaster). Whole kitchen was new and redone recently. The beds were very comfortable, the showers had great water flow and enough hot water for all of us. Plenty of towels provided too. Also bath and body works shampoo/soaps provided(smelled great!).
The location was also perfect for us. We spent a little time on the strip and this was close enough(just one street over and parallel to the strip) that we could drive and park for free in any hotel along the strip by entering via the back of the strip hotels on our side of the street. We used Vegas as a starting point to go to other places so being on the strip directly was not important to us. Grocery stores, churches and easy hwy access all very close and easy to get to.
The one little problem we can think of is that we stayed on the top level and didn't have an elevator. But we have 4 kids who can carry their own stuff so really no big deal!!
There is also a shuttle provided at certain times to go to the strip if you don't have your own car.

Room Tip: We liked the top level. We never heard the people below us!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Lugo A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thanks for making time from your busy schedule to share your vacation experience. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the resort and that you found your 2 bedroom accommodations comfortable and conveniently located.

We look forward to your return stay!
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the first week of October 2012 with another couple. I booked this resort through our RCI extra vacations. We had a 2 bedroom suite with the master bedroom having a large jacuzzi tub, walk in closet and plenty of room. The kitchen was beautiful with everything you need.
The pools were well maintained and the chairs were comfortable. This complex is an older complex that has changed over to a Holiday Inn so they are renovating/updating the complex.
We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay there again. They are also building a large Ferris wheel across the street from this complex.
We did attend a timeshare presentation... It was interesting however we already own a timeshare and didn't want another at that time. They are somewhat aggressive but hey this is their job.... No different than a car salesmen trying to sell a car.

We had a great vacation and enjoyed our stay at this resort!!!

• Stayed October 2012
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Hello and welcome home from your recent stay with us. It's so great to hear from our guests about how they were able to enjoy their time spent with us. Las Vegas is always an exciting destination for our guests who are looking for a good mix of relaxation and excitement. We would love to have you back again soon.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Went on vacation here based on a last minute deal we found on hotels.com. Not a single hitch. We arrived, checked in early, and they even had the room ready for us after a few calls were made. Based on a lot of these negative reviews I wonder if any of these people writing have any manners or patience at all? It's a hotel and they aren't paid to be nice to you, but if you're nice then they are that's how customer service works. We waited 10 minutes, got put into our 2 bedroom villa we booked. I will say if you need something wheelchair accessible, or are elderly, obviously the 3rd floor is not for you since there are no elevators available. I'm in my 20's so hiking up stairs isn't an issue for me, and we have a 3 year old so the 3rd floor was perfect. In fact, if you have kids I recommend the 3rd floor because it's quieter.

Our villa faced the street instead of the pool, which was not an issue, but if that's what you want specifically request it when you book and usually it will be available. My husband would have preferred it, but we checked in early so we went with what we got. His only issue was the street was a little loud with all of the people coming back at 2-3 in the morning and had a little too much to drink, they were loud. However, it's Vegas so you kind of have to suck that up because it comes with the territory.

I liked the shuttle that ran all over the property. I don't mind the walk, so both nights I went out on the town I didn't bother with it, and we took a taxi to the Venetian. The bell men were awesome! Both times I requested a taxi one was there within 3-5 minutes. Also, I rented a stroller from a local company in town and it was delivered to the bellman, I picked it up from him, and returned it to him too. He also told us how to take the monorail thing which saved us a lot of time going between hotels on the strip. I like the security and they were also very friendly.

We went to the sales presentation and never once felt pressured. They have to pay those people for their time, so if you agree to it then go, but if you were charged excess and had to pay then that's on you. I don't see how that's possible, but we weren't charged for anything extra. I was worried about taking our toddler along with us, but we came to find that this wasn't an issue at all and everyone was very friendly. We ended up purchasing a one bedroom villa because I liked the resort, and next year we will be going back.

Our room was 2 bedrooms, with a brand new kitchen, and a washer/dryer. Housekeeping came once and did a really awesome job. I loved the huge spa tub in the master bathroom. It was my favorite part! I also liked that in the front bedroom there was a walk-in shower so that we could shuttle our toddler in there after the pool and get the chlorine off of everyone without trekking water everywhere. There were huge king-sized beds in both rooms, and we all slept comfortably. My toddler even managed a nap and a good night's rest on the pull-out couch when my friend came to visit from out of town for a night. I also enjoyed sitting out on the patio. We had two lunches and a dinner outside, and I spent a lot of time out there myself while people were sleeping just enjoying the weather. It was very lovely.

As of March 20th-24th when we stayed, the main pool was still under construction and the restaurant was closed. Although as far as I know the 1st of April, everything will be back in order and running. They are doing a lot of construction, but we were in building 7 and I heard none of that.

Room Tip: Request rooms facing the pool if you're sensitive to noise. Don't do the 3rd floor if you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hello and thank you for taking the time to give such an extensive overview of your stay with us. You really give your fellow TripAdvisor reviewers a great overview of what to expect from a stay with us. We appreciate your tips on the best way to travel with a family. We're so happy to be able to include you in the Holiday Inn Club Vacations Family, and we can't wait for your next visit. See you soon.
Maple Grove, MN
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We were booked to stay at the Holiday Inn Club Vacations in Las Vegas the second week in April, 2013. It was going to be a family trip - My husband, our two young kids and my mom. We have family in Vegas and were looking forward to seeing them. On March 19th, less than 3 weeks before we were to travel, my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Life has been a whirlwind ever since but it was caught early and she has wonderful oncologists and surgeons working on a care plan for her, which includes starting chemo on April 1st with major surgery and more chemo this summer. We called Travelocity and although their customer service staff were wonderful and attempted at least 4 different times to talk to management at this hotel and explain the situation and each time they were denied even a conversation with anyone in management.
We are not looking for a full refund and would understand paying some sort of penalty or cancellation fee as we did with our airline tickets. We even expressed that we would be more than happy to re-book within a year since we plan to try and take the trip once my mom is feeling up to it.
The circumstances around our need to cancel are very extreme and I guess I was hoping that management would be at least somewhat understanding. I was obviously wrong.
I will not be staying at this hotel and honestly, with such a bad experience, I will avoid any hotels run by InterContinental Hotel Group in the future.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Kristin N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Desert Club Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Kristin N,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Starting with the greeting we received it stayed down hill. We own 600000+ points and were using some to travel to Las Vegas we were told we were going to be charged $30 unless we attended a sales presentation. We have attended 3 with holiday in club and perched every time but never been threatened with being charged. We were not receiving anything free so why did we owe a sales visit? We were greeted with a hard pitch salesman who said we should have gotten free flight and rental cars. He also said we should sell ll of our other properties and buy one in Las Vegas. I would never. The buildings are not handicapp accessible unless you want to walk around the block. The center of them has all the utilities exposed for that oh so trashy look we could hear our upstairs neighbors walking around at all hours of the day the rooms are tiny compared to all other holiday inn club resorts we have been to (orange lakes and gatlinburg) the faucets are falling out of the wall the kitchen looked refurbedbut all the money inthe world is not going to replace the paper thin walls and floors. The gas fireplace soots up the glass.

The onsite restaurant is closed for repairs the market place has less stuff than a residence inn the DVD rentals we were told to go to the wrong building the game room has 4 tired arcade games a claw, pinball with dead flippers, air hockey and a pinball table but did I mention you can't get in there for sections of the day because it is rented to a karate group.

Seems like with the main pool closed and the restaurant closed the roof construction there should be some discounting of the rooms.

6 Thank DavidBarn887
Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations, as we truly want all of our guests to have the best vacation experience possible. In an attempt to find out more about your specific situation we have contacted you through private message. We look forward to hearing from you. Should we have the opportunity to host you again, we would love to show you how much fun vacationing with us can be.