“Some great surprises, some disappointments”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Desert Club Resort
Ranked #39 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We checked in on 7.31.14 around 10:45 pm with no problems. We stayed in building 5 on the 2nd floor. We are owners on a our first trip to this property after staying at others in Orlando and Myrtle Beach, SC.

It was a 2 BDR villa. We had slight views of the Hi Roller and Harrahs. It was nicely decorated with a solid kitchen complete with gas range, washer and dryer, and large dining room table. One bedroom was on the other side of the unit, which shared a hall bathroom. The master bedroom had a in-room bathroom complete with the largest shower/tub I have ever seen. It had a Calfornia-esque walk in closet with an in wall safe.

Those were all great surprises and consistent with the HICV brand. Our two mishaps were rather small but frustrating. We never got to use the shuttle system but we sure tried. We are early risers, and I believe the first ones depending on the location don't start until 10am. You are supposed to give 24 hours to be able to book the further destinations like Fremont and downtown (Who plans 24 hours in advance in Vegas?!) So we ended up having to taxi more than we would like. At one point we did find ourselves at the Bally looking for the 10:10pm shuttle. You have to pickup at the sports betting location which is all the way through Bally's on the retail level. I swore we were out the casino at 10:11pm with no signs of the shuttle. I called the HICV lobby and they told me they leave promptly on schedule. I just don't believe that was the case. They only run every hour which I can understand, but unfortunate to wait for such small windows.

The other one disappointment was that our in room dryer didn't work. I called maintenance and when they were quick to respond they acknowledged that it was a problem dryer! We eventually got them dry in another unit, but it wasn't ideal to deal with this after a late night.

Overall they are a great place, you can walk to the strip in about 8-9 minutes (0.6 miles exactly, following sidewalks to walking right under the High roller, through the Quad and hitting the Strip near Caesar's Palace) I loved the pools, gym, on site restaurants, and staff. If you are a HICV member you will be right at home. If you are looking for a good family place, don't hesitate you will enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for a 3rd floor. I did notice footsteps from above, while it didn't bothe...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eric T

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I would love to gush about this place. At first glance, it is nice. By as I always do, I took a harder look and I do wish there was a way to keep upholstery clean. If I see one strain, I stay away and the barstool tops, chair in the main bedroom and especially the stool in the other bedroom need deep cleaning. I sat on the sofa by never sat back always thinking the worst.

Let's see if I can keep this short. FYI, we had a 2-bed, 2-bath place and stayed a week:

Pros:
1 - location - it's not on the boulevard, but close enough yet not so close you were disturbed.
2 - variety of pools and shapes
3 - laundry room in suite
4 - more than 1 tv, perfect with 2 kids.
5 - ample closet space so suitcases can be put away
6 - plenty of dishes for cooking
7 - balcony to sit outside, even a contain for smokers' cigarettes if you smoke, which hopefully cuts down on furniture burns, which I see too often.

Cons:
1 - the mattress in the master bedroom was slightly too small for the frame, so my husband felt like he was falling out of bed all night. Maintenance had a fix, but why is this even a problem? They were supposed to bring a new one. Never happened and I didn't want to waste time bugging them for it.
2 - speaking of the mattress, the fitted sheet was too small. We were forever pulling down one side or the other. Thank God the mattress was clean so I wasn't skeeved!
3 - 2 rolls of toilet paper/1 roll of paper towels roll for a family of 4 there for a week? Really? Had to ask for more twice and started to feel like a complainer.
4 - (Semi con) Pan was missing. Glad I asked if there was one. They brought it.
5 - (Semi pro) Fridge wasn't cold enough. Lost strawberries over 2 days as we determined if it was it or us. They fixed it.
6 - The towel rack by the main bath sink broke. Nothing was hanging there but 1 towel to dry hands.
7 - The shower curtain rod was sure to go next. I asked my husband not to hang towels there just in case.
8 - Shower in hall bath was tight with a rain shower head, so if you don't want to stand under it, the main bedroom shower was best option. If you have guests, though, I don't know.
9 - daughter seemed to have some issue with the air conditioning in her room.
10 - another reviewer mentioned the odd TV angle. Agreed. I had kids move the chair to other side of the room to watch movie, but it couldn't stay there because it blocked walk way.
11 - Two games in game room didn't work and they didn't have notes to that affect. Lost tokens in one and air hockey puck wouldn't come out when it went in on one side.
12 - Daughter mentioned having to clear leaves from around one of the pools.

I wonder if maybe this was just an old unit and if my review would be different if we had been in one of the newer ones. So many tiny, unnecessary things here, though. I hope management needs these reviews.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank digyd88
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The building four, 2nd floor villa with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and full kitchen with balcony overlooking the pool was a winner. The teens ( 16-19) went throughout taking and sending pictures of the various rooms to their friends and families. After taking selfies (fully dressed) in the over-sized bath tub, they tried to get me to give up the very spacious master suite. No deal!
The customer service was excellent. A 1:30 AM call on an overflowing toilet got maintenance within 5 minutes and housekeeping to clean within 10 minutes. The location is great off the strip but within walking distance from Venetian and Bally although the regular shuttle service provides a welcome relief from the heat. Tour companies provide pickup and drop off service to this hotel.
This is rated less than excellent because the food in the restaurant on the property is mediocre to poor. A word of caution: you may not be getting the best prices for tickets purchased at the concierge desk. We paid twice the amount for tickets to Madame Tussauds' than the cost at the box office at the Venetian.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carmen426
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The unit itself was acceptable, it was clean and the kitchen was nice. However, our unit was supposed to be Privacy for 4 so we invited another couple to join us for the week. We were extremely disappointed as soon as we walked in the door. There was 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room. How this is privacy for 4 people is beyond me. In addition, the sleeper sofa mattress was totally unacceptable. It was simply springs covered by fabric, there was no cushioning at all between springs and the fabric and the so-called mattress slanted to the edge, not even to the middle which is where most mattresses cave in after prolonged use. When I called about our issues, I was told they had no larger units available but would look for a mattress topper. I was later advised there were no toppers available (were they all in use in other units??). The other couple left after 1 night as they could not sleep at all on the sleeper sofa. Between the lack of privacy and the poor sleeping arrangements, this was very embarassing to us!

Room Tip: If you have more than 2 people sharing the unit, make sure the unit has 2 beds, not a bed and a slee...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsFlyman
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We rented a two-bedroom suite. The apartment was spacious, including two large bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, ( three flat screen tv's in each room ), fully equipped kitchen, perfect air-conditioning, private laundry machines ( wash and dry ) in a small space next to the balcony. The WiFi was good, nice pools, ... and in walking distance from the Strip.
This is one of the best places we rented in our road trip through the West.

While the beds were large and perfect, the sofa-bed was not at all good: thin mattress with metal spirals.

Room Tip: At arrival, the foreseen apartment was at the street side. They offered us to change to an apartment...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed as a party of 8 in 2 of the 2 bed villas
We'd booked 1 bedroom but decided to upgrade at $40 a night per villa. It was really worth it! Great space- much better lay our than the 1beds
The space was great- lovely en suite bathrooms, one with a huge square bath.
The kitchen was exceptionally well stocked and there were even dishwasher tablets, 1 dose of washing powder and washing up liquid. There are 5 pools and we never had a problem finding a sun bed. We had no roach or dirt sightings- I was very impressed with the cleanliness.
The hotel restaurant was good- great service by Kayla and Kirstie and fantastic burgers
We drive to the strip as you can park in all the big hotels for free.on one occasion we walked back but it was a hot walk - 20 mins in 42 degree heat!
I'd definitely NOT sit through the 'optional' talk. It left a dour taste that at reception, late in the evening we were being pressurised to book a time slot. Why would I buy a timeshare in Nevada when I'm from the UK?!
This is my only negative about the hotel

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Milesandmilesaway
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The studio apartment came with two rooms. Everything works fine. The kitchen was very well equipped with all utensils. What a relief it was when we were sweating in the hot weather outside. the air con made us stay indoors until we went out for dinner in the evening.

Room Tip: Away from the pool
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple