“Very good $70 value when strip hotels wanted $150”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Desert Club Resort
Ranked #32 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Greenwich, London
“Very good $70 value when strip hotels wanted $150”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

I was over in Las Vegas on my own for a friend's wedding and booked my hotel late. Bills Gambling Hall was great on Tuesday and Wednesday for $75 and $80 respectively but then they wanted $150 or so for the Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Because I was just on my own and didn't mind walking 10 mins to the strip I looked on trip advisor and opted for Summer Bay "Resort". Look, it's just a simple (big) room with a kitchen (unnecessary!!) and a good lounge (which I didn't use), a mega-size bath (I used the shower) and a washing machine & drier. All in all none of these features was necessary for me but at the end of the day it was a comfy bed and only a minor inconvenience to walk to the strip. It isn't a hotel, it's a timeshare place where they're renting rooms that they haven't sold. All in all, though, excellent value for $70. Don't stay there mid week or if you're booking early, you'll get way better value from strip hotels; but for a last minute booking it was excellent and I was really happy to save $250 for a tiny amount of inconvenience. It really is only 10 mins from Flamingos but a bit of a dodgy walk through wasteland so don't book this hotel if you're an all female group!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Ogden, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

We stayed at Summer Bay Desert Club as a timeshare exchange and had a great time. The resort is a couple blocks from the strip which makes it very cozy and not as hectic. The resort offers bus trips to a few of the casinos, but we walked half the time. And when we did go driving in our car, all the casinos have free self-parking. The resort was still under construction, but our room was facing away from the construction site and convenient to one of the five pools/jacuzzis. Eventually the resort will provide much more amenities and activities, but its pretty close to completion already. Our room was decorated very nicely with almost all new furnishings and appliances. The kitchen had very nice countertops and large flat screen TV's in the living room and both bedrooms. The bedrooms each had a King-sized bed and walk-in closet. And the master had a very nice large garden tub and separated toilet. It was a comfortably warm time for us to visit, but there was a working fireplace to use for the winter. Wireless internet was always available and fast. And housekeeping kept the rooms clean and neat a few times in the week we stayed there. We would definitely recommend the Summer Bay to all our friends and family when visiting Las Vegas.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
W dunbartonshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

A 10 min walk into the back of Harrahs or the Imperial Palace. No point in me repeating all that has been said about the rooms. All our luggage (6 cases) were lost on way out by USAirways and we had to go shopping for clothes. Had we been in a hotel it would have been a nightmare. What a godsend the washer and dryer turned out to be, I learned you can survive in Vegas on two pair of shorts and shirts if you have the home comforts. Viva Summer Bay.

All night pool and jacuzzi were great for unwinding in the early hours on return from the Strip. The only downside was the Internet connection problems that were ongoing. We were told this was due to the construction work interfering with the automated phone password system. Why each room has to have a different password that has to be changed on a daily basis? I do not know. Excessive security, they should just give a generic password to guests on arrival. I think this was the thing that annoyed most guests during my stay.

I would certainly stay at the place again if in Vegas with Family, will be truly wonderful when construction work is completed. They should have set aside an area with some fitness equipment that would suffice until they get the Fitness Centre completed.

I have used the diner buffet in the Imperial Palace, Harras and The Paris would rate them in that order. Was a bit disappointed with the Paris. The prime Rib in the Imperial Palace was quite possible the nicest piece of meat I have ever eaten (I have been eating a lot of meat for 50 yrs). That Good, I ate it twice.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jasmcp
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

Our vacation at Summer Bay Resorts Desert Club Las Vegas was a very enjoyable one. I was expecting much worse, from the reviews I read on Trip Advisor, then what I saw when I arrived at Summer Bay on Sunday 9/13/09. There was no main entrance only a canopy for the security guard to stand under, the main pool and amenities were still under construction. However, when we checked in the staff was extremely friendly and accommadating. I requested a room on the first floor with a view of the pool, I didn't want to see any of the construction. The woman at the front desk gave me a map with a few different room numbers so I could see for myself where I wanted to stay. I decided on building #17, which was at the end of the resort on the first floor with a view of the pool and the grounds. We stayed there for 7 nights along with my cousin and his wife . The four of us enjoyed sitting outside under the huts for lunch or cocktails, we also took advantage of the barbeque grills. Everyone at the resort was extremely friendly. Also, everyone morning the grounds were manicured, pool cleaned and the barbeque grills were also cleaned, which I was very impressed by.
The only suggestion I have is for the resort to hurry up and finish the construction, it would be that much better once this is done. Also, there are no umbrellas by the lounge chairs at the pool. It is very sunny and you cannot sit there for very long. The room we had was very nice, granite counter tops, fireplace, bedrooms were a nice size with huge closets. Everything was very clean and new. It was a good long block from the strip, directly behind Imperial Palace and Harrahs, it was convenient to area restaurants and shops. I would definitely recommend the resort, if you want something away from the strip.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Beautiful grounds even though the main entrance, clubhouse and pool are still under construction. The 1 bedroom condo was small but very comfortable. Flat screen TVs in bedroom and living room, DVD player and stereo unit also. The kitchen was well equipped too......if you plan to cook on vacation (not me!). It's great to have a refrigerator and microwave though. There were 4 very nice pools to choose from even though the main pool was not finished yet.

The resort is a very nice place to stay but if you plan to spend a lot of time on the strip you'll have walk or use a car. It's a pain when you plan to eat all your meals out. I did enjoy not having to trapes through the hotel/casino to get to the pool.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Woodbine, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

The Good
1. Resort
Booked through RCI. Resort is still under construction and will be for several months at least. Everything that was done was top notch.
2. The Room
Our room was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment. King size beds, full kitchen, laundry room w/ iron and ironing board, every kitchen appliance needed, cookware, dishes, silverware, plasma TVs and great AC.
3. Shuttle Service
Need a ride to the front of the resort? Done. Golf carts will pick you up instantly. Shuttles to the Strip, Fremont and Von's are ALWAYS on time and are pretty convenient.
4. Front Desk/Concierge
Fantastic
The Bad
1. 3 new plasma high-def TVs and only 3 HD channels. If you spend the money on the TVs spend the money on HD programming.
2. Our pool had way too much chlorine. We complained and they drained and refilled the pool and hot tub the next day.
3. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning the room and restocking the towels and such but they threw away our souvenir beer bottles and Paris casino glasses.
The Toss-up
The resort is not far from the strip, about 8/10 of a mile. It is located between the Flamingo and Imperial Palace. It isn't too far to walk once or twice but if you are staying in town for a week having to wait for the shuttles or trying to go to the Strip after midnight might get annoying.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank VegasGA
Fredericksburg, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

My husband and I went to Summerbay resorts and it was by far the best place off of the strip. The resort was only a block and a half away from the strip.Very peaceful for being so close!!! So it was a perfect location. We were a little scared of staying there because of the reviews on the internet. But we did not have any problems at all. They offered a shuttle service that goes all over the place. The shuttle was GREAT!!! The drivers are a little scary, but I suppose that is "city folk" and the way they drive. We expected the front desk personel to be aweful like how they were on the phone, but that was not true either. They were kind and helped us with everything and anything they could. The 2 bedroom place was not one of the updated rooms, but for it not be updated, it was also GREAT!!! We had a dishwasher, washer and dryer, a private patio, full fridge, pots and pans and dishes. They housekeeping came almost everyday to give us new/ fresh towels, dish soap, laundry soap, etc. I would recommend this place to ANYONE!!!! Best bang for your buck!!!! Now its time for some advice for anyone who is thinking about going there, or already booked a stay there.... Request second floor, request pool side, and make you sure during your stay you go to the grocery store and stock up on a few things.... The only bad thing about this place, Summerbay is not for younger people! Alot of older and retired people staying there, so there is no eyecandy at the pool. If you are loud and looking to have parties!!! Please dont stay there and ruin it for the ones who go to Vegas to relax!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple