“Close to Strip - back far enough away to sleep!”

Hampton Inn Tropicana
Ranked #26 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 31 December 2011

The Hampton Inn Tropicana was an excellent choice for me because it offered a free breakfast and free shuttle service. Being away from the Vegas Strip (but still in close proximity) was also a deciding factor as to why I chose this hotel.

Ninety-five percent of the staff was the epitome of class and professionalism. There was one younger front desk agent though (Stephanie), who talked down to me and decided that I was just someone she particularly didn't like (for what reason - I still don't know). Sadly, that one person will stay in my mind mainly because this was my Christmas holiday; but does not deter from the fact that everyone else (Arlene, John, Jay, Shonell (Front Desk) as well as John and Lupe (Shuttle drivers)) were fabulous to deal with, chat with and share with. It was like coming back home to family! I thank them for a lovely time....

It's easy enough to walk to the Strip during the daylight hours, but I would highly NOT recommend to walk around during the evening. It's best that John or Lupe take you somewhere in the shuttle and then call them when you need a ride back to the hotel. They are more than ready to accommodate and ensure your safety. This is a family hotel - so be prepared that there are little monsters that run up/down the hallways. One quick call to the front desk can change that too....after all, they aim to ensure that everyone is happy (even us with older kids!). Enjoy your stay. I did.....smiles!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevator when choosing a room. There are many little kids who wake up earl...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Irish_LassOttawa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,271)

Reviewed 30 December 2011

The Hampton Inn Tropicana is a comfortable little hotel very near to the Strip in Las Vegas on Dean Martin Drive. My wife and I enjoyed 8 days stay here in December 2011, attracted by its facilities and by the fact that it offers a wonderful breakfast every morning, which must be unique for Las Vegas. This breakfast included scrambled eggs, omelettes and sausages, as well as a selection of cereals, beverages, fruit and pastries.

Our room was large and comfortable on the sixth floor, with a view of the Strip. The hotel offers wi-fi, a business centre with free internet access, a heated pool and fitness suite, hot drinks available 24 hours a day in the Coconut lounge, and a free hourly shuttle service to and from the airport as well as to and from the Strip. To be picked up after a day gambling, shopping or simply enjoying the sights you simply ring Reception and they send the bus to pick you up.

I warmly recommend this comfortable hotel and its friendly staff and excellent facilities to all those tarvelling to Las Vegas, whether for leisure or business.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Glenn_C
Reviewed 22 December 2011

We found this hotel to be amazing. The service before and during our stay was great.. very friendly staff. The rooms were a good size with flat screen tv and very clean. We had asked for a fridge and they delivered one to our room right after we arrived. The breakfast buffet was awsome... fully stocked with both hot and cold items, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, make yourself waffles, hot & cold cereal, toast, bagels, muffins and juices. The dining area was very pleasant and clean. The distance to the strip was very short and within walking distance if you wanted to take a walk or they have a shuttle. We really liked the location of this hotel right off the interstate but very close to the strip. They had a beautiful pool however since our visit was in Nov it was closed. We had stayed at a very high end hotel on the strip our last visit and this hotel was much guest friendlier and much financially friendlier. We will definitely stay there on our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I am a Hilton Honors member and travel extensively. However, my wife made this particular reservation being I was between trips. I usually frequent certain properties usually those I've previously visited or ones recommended. I was surprised at how pleasant my stay was here. listed below are the things that made my trip so pleasant:

Location - Conveniently located walking distance from the MGM Grand, New York, Luxor, Excalibur and Tropicana Hotels. You can choose to use the free shuttle to MGM and/or Tropicana Hotels. This is suggested if you are traveling with kids as you will have to walk under a dark overpass when accessing the strip by foot. The shuttle drivers are friendly and will take you just about anywhere. ASK THEM!

Breakfast Buffet - This one of the main reasons I frequent certain properties. I enjoyed the fresh fruit, yogurt types, hard and omelette style eggs, and juice station. I'm not big on carbs but there is quite a selection of cereals, waffle station and pastries. *The scrambled eggs remind me of boot camp with a powder taste... not happy about that one* All-in-all still plenty to choose from.

Coconut Bar in lobby - The waitress is friendly and will immediately remember once she's met you. They provide a selection of munchies to Chase your beer. There are three large screen TVs that are perfect for Football fanatics like myself. And, the beers are off strip prices which I recommend starting at before the 7 dollar beers at the clubs and casions.

Pool / Exercise Area - These are the only two things I could review negatively on. The pool deck is being refurbished which is no problem as they let you know on their website and at the front desk. I like the hot tub versus filling the room tub with water. The exercise room needs to be cleaned and the machines tuned. Both treadmill running pads are sticky and this can be dangerous for faster, heavier runners. Its too cold to run my daily 4 - 6 miles outside and would require the purchase of warmer clothes.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank SecretBeer
Reviewed 21 November 2011

When our evening flight was cancelled, the airline put us up for one night at the Hampton Inn Tropicana. Check in was fast even though they had to register and find rooms for a plane full of people in a short period of time. The room itself was of a good size and quality. It was lacking a safe and refrigerator, which I always like to have in a hotel room that I reserve for myself, but since we were only staying for one night, this wasn’t an issue. The venting system in our room seemed to be running continuously and we were unable to turn it off. The noise seemed to be coming from the bathroom and even though we closed the bathroom door, it was still audible in the bedroom. The included breakfast was one of the best and most varied free ones that I’ve experienced. It included both hot and cold items and provided a good start to the day.

The Hampton Inn Tropicana is a good basic hotel, but its location on the other side of the freeway from the strip does make it a bit difficult to access the sights and sounds of Las Vegas on foot. They do, however, provide a free shuttle service to both the strip and the airport

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We booked a tour group into this hotel at the beginning of a 10-day "Southwest Safari" and at the end - 2 separate nights, 18 rooms each time. The staff bent over backwards to help us with any issues that arose. On the evaluation sheet that all of my 36 members were asked to fill out, everyone rated this hotel a "very good" or an "excellent". That should speak for itself. We specifically wanted to use this hotel for 4 reasons ---
1. It offers a free shuttle to and from the airport (which is only about 10 minutes away).
2. It's right on I-15, so our coach can get on the highway in about 2 minutes, and on out to the plateau.
3. It's a Hampton, so we knew that quality is a standard.
4. They offer a great, free (and hot) breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PANeddie
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I actually thought this was the property behind the Trop Hotel/Casino. Wrong, it's ON Tropicana. They had a shuttle to the airport-although that became a slight setback. It took them a while to actually come and get us.
Upon arrival we got a great room and the desk people were generous, giving us each a bottle of water for free. While we loved the room and the property, upon waking up and looking around I found an article of clothing left behind in back of the loveseat. After reporting that the management chose to give us that first nite free-nice touch. Meanwhile we were there for an event and everything went extremely well. We difinitely will stay there again. I got a great look at the pool and the relaxed seating out there and wished my wife and I had more time to stay there.

Room Tip: We were in 569 which was a very good room with a pretty good view. Although not the typical view ty...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business