“Destination Resort at a Value”

JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #42 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Destination Resort at a Value”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This property was originally built a decade or so ago as a high end destination resort (golf, spa, gaming). While the high end room rates were not competitive and the original resort went bankrupt, Marriott took it over and has maintained much of the original amenities at a much lower per night rate (especially the rates available over the internet during low seasons). As one reviewer noted, there is no bell service for bags to the rooms, but there is valet parking at no additional charge. The staff were very pleasant and helpful (e.g. they arranged for a late check out because we had a late afternoon flight). The rooms are very large, with high end décor. The bathroom was also very large with a large shower and very large Jacuzzi tub and very nice tile throughout. The only sign of age in the room was the somewhat dated/worn wallpaper in some areas of the bathroom (otherwise, the room was very clean and well maintained). The pool area is very nice and more like what you would expect to find at a resort in Cancun (the wait-staff at the pool were very friendly and attentive and the food was good). While we had a car, there is a shuttle that frequently goes to the Fashion Show Mall, which is in the middle of the Strip (across from the Wynn, Venetian, and TI). Overall, this is a good hotel for people (especially golfers) who would like a quieter, less crowded place to stay than you would find at a resort of similar quality on the Strip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

We actually stayed at this resort twice this summer for different trips. First class Marriott with spacious rooms. Separate casino attached if you like. Several restaurants and Starbucks inside. Across from TPC Las Vegas for golf. Beautiful and peaceful off the strip.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Where can I begin? This place has to have been one of the most depressingly awful hotels in which I have ever had the misfortune to find myself staying. Right from check-in - where I was informed that the hotel does not employ anyone to help transport my two heavy bags on their journey of about half a mile to my room - my stay was an unmitigated disaster.

It's more or less impossible to get anywhere in the hotel without passing through the smoke-filled and tawdry (even by Vegas standards) casino in the central hub of the building. Obviously I appreciate that Vegas hotels cater for gamblers (which I am not) but I must admit I found this aspect depressing.

Food is......well, awful. We were there for a week-long convention and were served the same dreadful chicken subs for lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY. Breakfast options were either dull and tasteless or indigestible and laden with cholesterol. There's a tapas bar on the premises, but to be honest, I don't regard chicken satay and beef sliders as tapas. The only aspect of the stay that I enjoyed was an excellent cajun band playing in the (inevitable) 'Oirish' pub on the last night I was there.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't wish a stay at this hotel on my worst enemy.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank TimHJ
Anthony_JWFOM, Manager at JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear TimHJ,

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to reach out to us and allow me the opportunity to apologize for the multiple inconveniences and making me aware of our challenges. I am sorry that the items you mentioned were not up to service standards, as I will follow-up the mentioned service items and quality consistency issues.

Once again, I am sorry for overall undesirable stay; however, I hope to mend the experience. Please feel free to contact myself directly at your convenience.

Anthony Casal
Victorville, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013

OK, First of all let me say I have reviewed this property 3 times before and it has become a absolute favorite for us. Since finding this hotel a year ago, we have stayed many times this past year. I have trouble accepting my fellow reviewers take on this place. Anyone who does not appreciate the beauty of this property has me baffled! Also the staff is wonderful and more than helpful and welcoming. The hotel is not brand new. Ok there, I said it. So anyone wanting to stay in the newest hotels in Las Vegas needs to look at the Cosmopolitan or Aria. And even these properties are not brand new any longer. However, for those who appreciate fine things and a beautiful peaceful place, this is for you. Look at it this way, come and stay as if you are experiencing someones home who has loved and tried to care for this property in the best possible way. Yes, sometimes things are in need of repair, but hey, nothing( including us) stays brand new forever. haha The front staff are welcoming and helpful (especially Alex). The bell staff and valets, especially Egan, make you feel like you are welcome each and every time they see you. They are more than helpful and professional. Our room service was wonderful and our Junior Suite was especially clean and lovely. Jacuzzi tub and amazing beds! Pool area is wonderful and has lots of life and laughter but no drunks drinking all day in the pool. yay! So families, you can bring your kids here and enjoy. Like a said,it is like a visit to a great family member you actually want to visit.!haha Lastly, yes there is a casino on property but you can or not visit this part of the property. We are ones who do and we find the play and staff amazing.Brenda, Keith and Ron, casino hosts are terrific. However, understanding those who do not gamble, just ask the front desk for a map of how to not go thru casino to the other tower or other eating places. They will be happy to show you. I know I sound like a travel add for this hotel, however, I am a real married middle aged female with many nights spent in Las Vegas over the past 30 years. Listen to me on this one, we love love love this hotel. !!! I would gladly recommend it to anyone who will go here, treat these wonderful people nicely and Enjoy!

Room Tip: Know you location, not on the strip but a truly beautiful lovely resort.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lake Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is a great hotel if you are going to be in Las Vegas with little kids. We upgraded to the Jr. Suite which was more than enough room for our family of 5. The pool complex is amazing and kept everyone entertained and happy. The property is off the strip and away from all of the activity that you want to "shield little eyes" from. There is a casino on the property, but you can easily avoid it.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah W
mexico
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have visited Vegas a few times and have stayed in the strip. Luxor (quite a mistake and moved out after one night), Bellagio, (Nice property but I am not a high roller, so I had to spend hours in every single line: check in, breakfast, taxi, dinner, check out, and so on, so unless you are spending several thousands in the casino, please avoid it too). Then I tried the Four Seasons: No casino, royal treatment, an oasis in the strip. Still, I tried to move outside of the hustle and bustle of the strip. Some years ago I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Lake Las Vegas. It was perfect. To my disappointment, they have change it and now someone else is managing it with terrible reviews. I still wanted to stay of the strip, to unwind and relax.

So this time I came with my kids (yes, I do recommend visiting the city with bigger kids as we have enjoyed every single show), and tried JW Marriott. If you see my review of Cancun JW Marriott you will understand why I gave it a try.
The property is a perfect escape from the strip, it is spread out into several acres, so its not a high rise. Only 6 floors per building. The landscape is excellent.
I had some concerns about is maintenance as I had read it in other reviews. To be honest, I think it was an exaggeration, its not brand new, but Its better than some Fairmont properties where I have stayed, just to keep you in perspective. Nothing to worry about.

Does it deserve 5 stars? I am posting 5 stars based on the rate I payed. It was an average daily prepaid rate of 120 dlls including breakfast for all! I know that Vegas tries to lure customers with ridiculous rates, but if you asked me, a decent rate for this property would have been around 180 or around 200 with breakfast. So this is a steal. This is a 4 diamond property at holiday inn rates.

The rooms are spacious, as you will read, the baths are quite big, the common areas not luxurious but very nice.
The valet parking have worked like a swiss clock. I called in advance and every time it has been less than a minute to show after I step out. Its the first hotel ever that I have seen this, including four seasons, Ritz Carlton, St Regis and so on. Nice work, specially if the weather is more than 105 degrees, you will appreciate it.

Improvements? Yes, the breakfast buffet is kind of dull, but still reasonable. I understand it with their rates, but I would certainly pay some extra dollars in lieu of a better variety. The management has to remember that they are a JW Marriott Resort, which should be above the other Marriott brands, and here they are short of that.

Service? I don't know why people that work in a hotel have different attitudes. If I work in a 500 dollar hotel I have to smile, but if you pay 60 dlls I should not??? The guys at the front desk provide the 120 dollar attitude. I checked you in, didn't I ? Its not the welcome home attitude they could offer, which is always the case in luxury properties. The smile doesn't cost a dime, so why is it different? Anyway, it was not a warm welcome but yes, they did their work.( and thankfully without the never ending lines of the strip). Again, charge a few more bucks, and spend it in a little training.

We only had breakfast here. The first day we got a terrible service to forget. I had to stand up to ask for juice twice, since you cant get it for yourself in the buffet. I didn't fuze. The next day they sat me again with the same guy. I waited for some time, then I asked to change tables. They called the manager, he listened and the next 4 days it went smoothly. Very nice ladies at the restaurant :) . Again, why is it that you need to talk to the managers for service? Hotel managers: your place cannot run in auto pilot. You need constant supervision. Go to the tables, ask for feedback, check on your staff!

Room service was unobtrusive and timely. No nightly turndown, though. Maybe you have to call for it. They do it in other of their properties. I didn't mind.

There is a casino adjacent to the hotel if you get the urge, and it seems to be half empty. You have access to their buffet lounge, 24 hour cafe and starbucks, so that adds points to the stay.

The pool looks great and is not as crowded as the pools you see in the strip hotels, where you get about 12 square inches per person and a chance to get into the pool every 3 hours when somebody leaves it. Here they have cabanas for rent if you are willing to pay some extra.

In summary, this place is a nice calm place to come back after stepping into every other human being in the planet in the strip casinos and shopping centers, as you try to get to your shows and spending hours in every single line. You will feel as an escape for relax and space for yourself, which is the whole point of getting away from your daily life. You should rent a car though. the ride is about 15 minutes. Based on an overall quality it deserves 8.5 out of 10, but with their rates it is an A+. I still miss the Lake Las Vegas Ritz Carlton, but I prefer this anytime to staying in the strip, and it wont harm your bank account either.

Room Tip: Get a room in a 4th foor to get a better view. Dont get a room with balcony, its a small window and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PegasoMex
new york
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in July. The place was filthy!!! Not at all like a J W Marriott should be. There were no empty plugs in the room except behind the bed to charge computer and phones. There were huge stains on the rug. The furniture looked like it was from 1955. And don't even go to the pool- the cushions were so dirty with stains and bird poop that they were unusable. Manager just started here 3 days ago and said he agreed that the room was sub par but there was nothing he could do about it. Turns out this hotel is NOT OWNED BT MARRIOTT, but a franchise, so the standards are different. If you expect a JW Marriott hotel experience-do not stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family