“Quiet and convenient to the strip”

JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #49 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I like this hotel. I have read the reviews and think some of the negatives are not fair. This is a quiet resort with the typical consistency you find at a Marriott. We had a first floor room this time with a small patio. I loved that feature. Especially at night and in the morning. Our room was clean and very spacious. There were no business meetings at the hotel but i was full of all ages of people. The casino does have lots of older people, but who cares. The food we have has at the pub has been good. The buffet was okay, typical buffet. We are not old, in our fifties, and don't like the noise and crowds at the strip. This is a perfect choice for us. The staff has always been great and accommodating. We have been here three times and enjoy it. We brought our daughters with us once. They are older, 22 and 17 at the time. They liked the pool and spa.

My husband is a platinum elite lifetime member, so we stay at Marriotts quite a bit. This is a really nice one with great staff. Summerlin is only 20 minutes from the strip, but it has a quiet and relaxing atmosphere.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chocosusie
Write a ReviewReviews (2,047)

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I visited this resort for about a week and after reading some of these reviews --you can tell that many of these reviews are not real or are super inflated: so be careful with what you read and believe. Here are the pros and cons that I witnessed during my stay:

Pros: The grounds are indeed stunning with a very nice pool and spa. This hotel is indeed a quiet stay away from the strip. However, the rooms were so-so, average at best. I read one of these reviews that stated this hotel was one of the greatest three hotels they stayed in -- in the entire world; and my response to that is either: it was another fake review or you must have lived a very sheltered life because these rooms were only average. The Marriott Grand Chateau on the Strip is much better as in terms of rooms space, stay, comfort, and beauty.

Cons: This is not a hotel for children. I have four children and will never bring them to this location unless all they are willing to do is sleep and live in the pool. A hotel that claims/boasts to be a hotel for children and families must first have activities that cater to children and families: other than the pool -- this hotel does not have anything else to offer. I have never seen so many old people in my entire life than at this hotel and when I say old I'm meaning 70++. Every where I went whether it was the casino, the spas, the pools, the restaurants, or wherever we were (my wife and I): there was nothing but canes and oxygen tanks. My entire stay at this hotel I did not see more than 7 children; and when we visited the Irish Pub, the food was very bland, when we brought this information to the attention of the server, we were informed that they cannot put salt in the food due to the majority of their clientele - in which she was indicating the elder people that bombards this hotel day in and day out.

My wife and I were heading to the buffet to each lunch and to our surprise, once again, it was a long line of old people, oxygen pumps, and canes -- with no youth in sight. Although I had two free buffets tickets, I did not use them. I have nothing against older people, not at all, however, I felt as I was visiting a senior citizen hotel everyday. I ate at several restaurants at the hotel; and the food was average at best, unless you like a lot of bland food. Most of the food is not cooked fresh with the exception of the Carmel restaurant in which we were seated next to a couple who was on an oxygen tank and complaining all the time; furthermore, this restaurant "I'm guessing may be the only one that cooks fresh food but my wife's shrimp was rubbery and overcooked and after a whopping $86 dollar bill, I felt abused; however, I did receive a $100 food discount at check out.

WARNING: Be careful about the $25 credit per stay advertisement. This does not mean you will be getting $25 per day resort credit; the way they interpret this is: whether you stay for 1 day to 1 year; you will only get $25 once per your entire visit/entire stay. However, after fighting with the front desk at check in (who promised me the credit per their manager), and check out (although it was noted on my account about my $25 per day interpretation being honored) they tried not to give it to me but finally honored the notes that their own manager who honored my interpretation; then finally they gave me the $25 resort credit per day off of my bill per my interpretation.

My recommendation: visit at your own risk, but please be well informed and watch out for these fakes/super inflated reviews.

2  Thank EFAM6
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I return to this hotel despite "freebies" offered at alternate venues. Each time we stay at the JW, we are greeted by cheerful customer service professionals who make it their business to ensure that your stay is "a cut above". This visit, we had made a request online to have a view of the waterfalls or mountains and perhaps a patio. Voila: we checked in and our ground floor room had a beautiful patio overlooking the falls and the manicured grounds that are signature to this place. The pool area is unsurpassed; especially when you compare it to the crowded places offered at the Strip. We noticed someone measuring for new wallcovering in our hall, so it is apparent that the JW stays on top of keeping things fresh. Our only regret is the Rampart Casino; as it seems to be staffed by gaming personnel who do not enjoy their jobs. No smile. No conversation. So if you're in the mood for some lively gaming: try Red Rock down the street. As for us and our accommodations, we know we'll be back to one of our favorites...our oasis in the desert.

2  Thank ColleenElizabeth
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We spent two nights at this hotel at the start of our USA vacation this year. It is well away from the strip, so nice and quiet. I had called the hotel before arriving to ensure that one of our two rooms had twin beds for our two lads, and was assured this was the case. However, upon check in (after 12 hours of travelling) we were told both rooms were doubles. They did say the could provide a roll away bed - so we asked for that - and headed out for a quick bite to eat before bed. When we got back about 90 minutes later - no roll-away bed. we were all too exhausted, so our two boys shared a double (they are 19 and 22 so its a good job USA beds are larger than ours in the UK). I went to reception in the morning and requested the roll-away again - and when we came back in the evening, it was there - but no sheets, duvet, pillows etc. So, I took on the reception again.. only to be told that there was no spare bedding in the hotel because they were very busy. I was totally astounded - JW Marriott is branded as a 5 Star hotel and they cannot provide bedding!!!???
Anyway - that was the bad - the good - it is nice and quiet as stated before - the casino is well out of the way, so the whole hotel doesnt stink of fag smoke (this was incredible - so beware when you go to Vegas that smoking in the hotels seems the norm).
One thing that was good was that if you didnt want a daily towel change they would give you marriott dollars to spend instead. So after two rooms for two nights, we had a really great buffet breakfast on the Sunday we left.

Room Tip: Try and get a written confirmation that they can supply you with the right bed and guarantee that yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Kevin G, Director of Rooms at JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Mine64,

I want to sincerely apologize for the service failures that are not conducive to our training and management efforts. The fact that your reservation requests were not prepared correctly prior to your arrival is a basic expectation that we focus on meeting consistently. Unfortunately we had a breakdown in our normally smooth execution and that set the tone for the remainder of your service experiences.

It is both odd and distressing to learn about the lack of available bedding, I can assure you that is not typical at our resort. Thank you very much for your comments regarding our green program and buffet breakfast, I truly hope you will give us another visit.

Kevin Glass

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here only one night on our way back home. It was just as nice as our last stay. The pool was great, employees were very nice, we'll be back. The casino is not packed with people so it's a nice thing if you enjoy playing table games. The Ceres breakfast buffet is well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a strip view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel has the most remarkable spa pool I have ever seen. Hidden away, you might never even notice it. Although the pool is outdoors, you have to enter it from indoors, through the spa reception area. The pool has various alcoves that appear to have no purpose if no one is in them. But once you step into the alcove, an amazing blizzard of water jets grabs your entire body. I never figured out if sensors turn on the jets, a person controls them, or they just turn on randomly with a timer. The arrangement of jets is different in the different alcoves, so you can explore or just back out and swim in the calm waters.. The water temperature is not hot, but very refreshing. In contrast with the main pool, this one is not crowded and is for adults only.

1  Thank Juanito_del_Mar
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was our first stay. The staff were fabulous, especially Damon from pool maintenance who helped fix a physical tablet problem, Lauren ? at front desk who brought me a tray of adapters when I discovered I had forgotten mine, several staff who ensured my father had a wheelchair, and the housekeeping and warehouse staff who returned the clothing I had left in the room to my home. This is an exceptional place and upper management can be proud of their teammates.

The view from the room of the Red Rocks area was awesome. The pool area was extensive and peaceful. It could use larger and more shade space for those who need it. ThAne Spa gym was an oasis, pure relaxation. It could use multiple brands and models of elliptical machines where the slope is more level. The exercise room in the Palms needs more modern equipment to match the level of the property. The casino area was fairly non-intrusive on the vacation experience for a Vegas property. It is there if you want it. The restaurants were varied but we enjoyed the Cafe so much we just menu shopped the others this time.

1  Thank california_dreaming1