“Awesome”

JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #47 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in December. Prior to the trip, we received what appeared to be a form e-mail from the "Personal Planning Specialist" at the hotel, We normally just delete those types of e-mails, but we got engaged while we were staying at the hotel ~1 year ago and so we replied to the "Personal Planning Specialist" with a couple special requests. The Personal Planning Specialist (real name = Nathan) got back to us in a timely fashion and was able to set up our special arrangements. The JW Marriott facility is obviously beautiful, and the rooms are very well-appointed and luxurious, but what stands out the most is the tremendous customer service - we think it's actually unfair to compare to the Strip as the level of customer service at the JW Marriott is just so far above. We would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VanessaSk14

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Had to attend business conference here. What a disappointment. I know smoking is allowed in casino but whole hotel smells of smoke. In the morning it was a ghost town. Couldn't find any staff to help with directions. Conference has no wifi. No wifi? Who does that? Room was colder than outside. Outside it was 40 degrees. These shortcomings were disappointing for a Marriott hotel. Next time stay on the strip at any one of several better hotels. Would not return. Told the conference organizers of my disappointment as well and I wasn't the only one.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mills93
Anthony_JWFOM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Our objective is to provide a clean and fresh environment free of smoke as directed by Marriott’s culture and expectations. Your concerns are valid and I am sorry you had to deal with the smoke in the hotel and in the convention area. I understand your frustration and not wanting to stay here again; we have many options available to us as a property, as we move forward in addressing the smoke. I am disappointed we fell short on services during your stay.

I am truly sorry for the experience, and I offer you to contact me at your convenience to further our conversation.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Well, where do I start. When you walk in you are hit with the smell of cigarettes. The front desk staff was nice enough. On our way to our room we had to walk past a dirty room service cart and a potty seat for the elderly or disabled. Our room was ok, but the furniture was old and a bit tattered. On a good not, the beds were comfortable. We had to ask for more towels and a bathmat. Their policy is only to provide 3 towels for a room the accommodates for unless you ask for them. The door to the porch wouldn't shut correctly so it mad a terrible whistling noise which was annoying. The room service was fast and the food was fine, but the cart the brought it on that was supposed to act as a table was broken so we had to eat on the floor. The pool was closed and that wasn't told to us before we arrived. All and all, I would never stay there again. If you're there for the Vegas experience, stay on the strip where the hotels are much nicer and they are actually cheaper.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet except for the whistling noise coming thru the porch door. We stayed in the tower...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank 5starhippychick

Thank you for the kind words about staff service, despite some service issues, condition and accommodation failings. I am sorry for the less then favorable stay experience. By sharing your encounters, it allows me/us to better address what our guests see and experience – I am grateful. Knowing these challenges, and doing what we need to do, I hope to encourage a future stay.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott with our family over Thanksgiving weekend. The minute we walked into the resort I knew we were in trouble, as it immediately reeked of smoke. Luckily our two rooms were far enough away from the casino that at least we didn't have the smell at night. We had planned on eating our Thanksgiving dinner in the hotel but had to leave because of the smell. We also tried to exercise in their beautiful state of the art workout facility. After running on the treadmill I used a disinfectant cloth to wipe it down. Black ash came up on my wipe! And here I had been running on the treadmill breathing this smoke laden air. So much for the Clean Air Act. It is shame to have such a beautiful resort (the landscaping is amazing) tainted with destructive smoke. The casino is central to everything in the hotel so there is really no way of getting away from it. I thought we would be okay with a Marriott but we were sadly disappointed. We will not be staying here again unless smoking becomes prohibited as it is in the majority of luxury spas and resorts across the nation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank MSeeg90
Kevin G, Director of Room Operations at JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback and I’m terribly sorry your experience was not up to your expectations. Our casino and the restaurants adjacent to it like the buffet and cafe are patronized mainly by our local customers and I apologize for the smell of smoke. We truly do our best to minimize the smoke with special carbon filters and by using our air handlers and I’m sorry it made your trip unpleasant.

I hope you do give us another visit, as we look forward to having you back.

Kevin Glass

Reviewed 3 December 2013

their ventilation issues. The place reeks of cigarette smoke. The casino is far enough away from the Palms Tower that the hotel should not stink this badly. It was very unfortunate because I truly enjoyed most of my stay here and came back the following weekend. The Spa is phenomenal. I had my nails, hair and toes done. Christina in the salon does a great job on hair. Because I am a gold Elite member I had access to the spa and gym. It was beyond fantastic. The gym had everything I needed for a great workout and the hot tubs and steam rooms were great. Erika in the spa took great care of me. I felt pampered. There is plenty to eat and if you gamble the casino is attached. Enjoyed the breakfast at Ceres.

A few glitches with the concierge. The first stay they booked our golf and spa appointments. The next stay they said they were no longer affiliated with Angel Park and then transferred me to the spa. A bit confusing. All the staff was very friendly. The valet service was excellent. They took good care of us. Unfortunately, the smoke issue ruined it for me and I likely will not be able to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at the Palms tower this time and would not recommend if you like to gamble. It is just too far from the Casino. Very interesting that the Valet is at the Palms tower but the check in is in the Spa tower. Questionable service. We arrived and they put us in a room at the far end even though the hotel appeared to be vacant, even the valet service said there were only 3 cars in the lot. The end room is also a smaller room with a different size jacuzzi. We stayed before and we enjoyed our stay, we enjoyed this time too, but service is very questionable. Why did they make us walk all the way to the other tower to check in when the valet service is at the other tower. I would not complain but this is a JW MARRIOTT hotel and we expect better. We moved over to the Suncoast hotel and enjoyed our stay. It is within 1/4 mile of the hotel. The Rampart casino for being an upscale casino was dirty. They do not have anyone cleaning the casino. The buffet is nice on specialty days. 500pts same day and you get a free buffet, but the points appear harder to accumulate at this casino. They have a great SPA and a great swimming pool, closed for the season.

Room Tip: Stay at the SPA tower, Do not accept an end room or room near the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We booked our one night stay with the idea of being a way from the strip we first arrived in Las Vegas. We were looking forward to having the spa and the restaurants all in one place so that we could just relax. This resort does have a casino so we thought perhaps we would check it out as well.

THE GOOD: Beautiful grounds very peaceful and quite setting.

THE GOOD: Room was nice, clean - just a bit dated. The room had a large patio overlooking small waterfalls, it was lovely and relaxing. THE BAD: THe area around the patio and the water feature was littered with cigar and cigarette butts as well as other paper litter. THE GOOD: The bathroom was wonderful as well with large jetted tub, with a rain shower. The BAD: but (I know this will sound picky but I am all about functionality) in the large shower there was only a small soap dish, no place to put shampoo, etc. A built in shelf would make a lot more sense.

THE REALLY BAD: We are non smokers and most Marriott properties are smoke free. When we went to checkout the 4 restaurants and the casino, we were surprised to find that all were in a smoking area. As you walked through the hall way toward the restaurant and shops you could smell the smoke strongly. The casino did offer about a small group of slot machines close the entrance but the smoke was so overwhelming we chose not to eat at the resort or to gamble.

Next we went to the spa -- imagine our surprise when the spa entrance was in a hall that was was just off an additional entrance to the casino. So to get to the spa (health and wellness) we had to walk into the smoke filled hallway. So disappointing.

My only other comment was that the front desk staff while efficient were not very welcoming at all.

One more GOOD: The free valet service was wonderful and the valets were probably the friendly group we have come across -- kudos to all of them they were terrific.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
The Strip
Marriott's Grand Chateau
Marriott's Grand Chateau
#6 of 263 in Las Vegas

Been to JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!