“perfect location if you don't want to be downtown”

JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #43 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
“perfect location if you don't want to be downtown”
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Stayed at the JW Marriot Sept 2-9 to get married out in Red Rock Canyon. Even though we did not use thier Wedding coordinator and ended up handling it all ourselves, the hotel staff was AMAZING! I am a Platinum Rewards member and have every spread of experience at Marriotts. This place, although a tad older, was STUNNING. We were upgraded automtically, without even asking, to a 2 room suite with a HUGE patio overlooking a waterfall. The concierge was extremely helpful and room service was always timely and well done. Before the wedding we were given all access to the resorts waterfalls, landscaping, etc to take some breathtaking photos.
As previously noted by other travellers, the rooms ARE HUGE by Vegas standards. The location is PERFECT for wanting to experience Vegas a day, maybe two, but still enjoy the restful portions of being on vacation. The location is great for families that don't want to subject their kids to the "glitter" of downtown, although might be a bit stuffy for younger crowd looking to be in the thick of things.
The pool was great, waitstaff and towel attendants were polite and helpful. The drinks and food at the pool was a bit over-priced.
The casino was not all that, but we arent big gamblers.
The highlight of our trip was after our wedding, (mind you, NOT arranged by Marriott) we were told we had reservations at Spiedini Ristorante for our entire party, if we wanted to dine there. There were 8 of us total and we did not return from REd Rock until almost 8pm, but they made it work for us. They set us up at a private outdoor table overlooking a pool and waterfalls. The manager and wait staff were OUT OF THIS WORLD, comped several aspects of the meal and a bottle of champagne. The food WAS 5 STAR and I am very picky when it comes to italian food.
Overall, a terrifc experience at an outstanding location.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TandAFailor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Greek first
NE Ohio
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We reserved the standard room at a good rate, and we were very happy with our stay. The hotel accomodated our requests, and we LOVED the pool area. Tons of chairs, a great waterfall, and lots of sun and shady spots. It's pretty far from the strip (20-25 minute cab ride) but we were OK with that. I would recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway or for families. It's not "spring break" wild, but more mature and pretty.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annc123
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I have stayed at JW Marriott LV twice in the past (3) years.

The first trip was during March Madness 2007 with a group of friends from NC. We were there to watch NCAA B-Ball and play golf. The second trip was this past December fro quick work trip.

The hotel rooms are very nice and are on the large size; have stayed at JW in Orlando & DC; neither of those hotels had standard rooms like LV. The resort has a good gym and spa; in fact the spa is one of the nicer ones I’ve seen. The grounds are very nice and kept immaculate.

There is one factor about the hotel which can be a positive and/or negative depending on your opinion of Casinos. The Hotel leases out casino space and there is a small to midsize casino in the center of the property (you don’t have to go thru it but it is close to shopping; restaurants; spa and it is in the walkway between 2 tours. The con is that there is a casino with the noises (bells & whistles); the pro is that restaurants and drinks are much more affordable than most JW Marriott’s.

The only regret is that I haven’t been able to get my wife out to JW LV; but maybe sometime in the near future.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank elon94
funnytraveler1
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before, only because my client has a corporate account here. I have never thought is lived up to the Marriott name, but my last trip was my last stay in this over priced motor inn. It started at check in, where my reservation was not shown as prepaid and then continued with them attempting to charging me a rate that was almost double our corporate rate. The front desk staff was snooty and apparently thought they were working at the Ritz. In the middle of my four day stay, I was locked out of my room and told I had checked out that afternoon. It was an embarrassing situation that was played out in front of a lobby full of guests. In addition, there restaurants are mediocre at best and their casino looks like something you would find in a downscale local neighborhood. I will never stay in this hotel again and am doing everything in my power to ensure my company closes their account here and moves to a hotel that appreciates customers. Do not waste your money or time here.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank funnytraveler1
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Off the strip yet, you can see it from the balcony. Luxurious rooms, spa bath, serene setting and landscape. Tthe perfect place for a honeymoon!

Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Stayed here for four nights as part of a conference. A real mixed bag but ultimately turned off by excessive charges that are a result of hotel shortcomings. Here's the quick rundown.

Pros
- HUGE rooms by Vegas standards. Some of the furniture could use a touch-up but the bed and pillows were top notch and the rain-style shower head was a plus.
- Quiet. Almost felt like I was staying in a private apartment building. Very low-key and subtle.

Cons
- Insanely geriatric, retiree locals who come for the casino and cheap food give the place a creepy vibe. Nothing like having to see motorized wheelchairs, chain smokers, and oxygen tanks in a hotel.
- Casino is on the small side and has limited variety.
- Location is at least 20 minutes from the strip.
- Wireless dead zone. Almost everyone in our group complained about the poor mobile reception both in the rooms and common areas.
- Daily charges for internet

The last two Cons really stuck me and had me angry at departure. It is pretty insane to charge anyone for internet access anymore and to charge obscene rates for phone usage. If LaQuinta can offer Internet for free, a property advertising itself as high-end can certainly do it too. Because of the poor mobile reception I was forced to use the landline and was charged an INSANE $200+ for four phone calls that averaged 10 minutes each. That's not a typo -- $200+. Unacceptable. The front desk said there was nothing they could do about the charges or my complaint about being forced to use their landlines. In a rush to get to the airport, I couldn't argue the point further but will certainly take it up with the property via email once I return home.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Gerard B
Washington, DC
Reviewed 26 January 2010

I have stayed at JW Marriotts all over the world-Lima, Rio, Hong Kong, Singapore to name a few and this one doesn't EVEN come close. You could choke to death in the casino because of all the smoke. I walked in, looked around and was out in ten minutes or less and absolutely wreaked of cigarette smoke-to the point that I went to the room and immediately took a shower.

As far as the rooms are concerned, they are dull and unexciting. They upgraded me to a suite and it was the ugliest thing I've ever seen. The furniture was scratched, the carpeting was stained and one of the lamps didn't even work! This is definitely the dog of JW Marriotts. Book it only if you can get a good price!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business