“Las Vegas on a budget”

We can't find prices for this hotel
El Cortez Cabana Suites
Ranked #101 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Calgary
“Las Vegas on a budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

There are many things I really liked about the El Cortez Cabana Suites, and I would certainly stay in them again. We had a junior suite, which was big, although probably the same size as a normal hotel room but the bathroom was quite a bit larger than a normal hotel room. The staff at the customer service desk both in the main hotel and the suites were very helpful and friendly. The property was clean and seemed well maintained. And the best part for us was that it's completely non-smoking! That being said there were a few nitpicky things: the neon from the lights on the side of the hotel could be seen in our room and I found it distracting to try and fall asleep. There are no curtains on the windows, just plastic white shutters so it certainly let's a lot of light in when the sun comes up and the neon lights can be seen all night. The doors are heavy and they do slam loudly - perhaps the hotel should consider posting signs about closing them slowly or helping them close - it does make a difference. There is 24 hour security, which is nice, but if you are having trouble getting into the main door of the suites (which happened often to us) they will not help you get in. The biggest issue I had was the lack of housekeeping for our room. The first day was fine, the second day they came and only did the bathroom, the third day no one came at all. This was frustrating as we had a lot of garbage that didn't get emptied and had run out of kleenex and came close to having no toilet paper. And, we could not figure out how to work the air conditioner. It seemed really easy but the fan would only run as per the air cycle so the room tended to heat up quickly. If you just wanted the fan to run all the time you had to turn off the air. It would be nice if the two could be combined. But, again, that's nitpicky.

The room is BRIGHT green and it feels a little like being in Wonderland. The bathroom is nice and modern, although the vanity doesn't reach to the wall and I often dropped things down the side and had to get my husband to come and reach them out.

The beds are on the harder side and the pillows on the flimsy side, but the sleep was fairly decent (once we figured out how to block some of the light from entering the room). The best part is that, aside from the doors, it is SO quiet. We really didn't know others were staying there unless we saw them in the lobby or elevator.

I enjoyed my stay here. The area is totally safe to walk in - we never had any trouble, even at 3 a.m. There are some perks to staying at the hotel with free play, coupons for the restaurants, match play, etc. We would definitely not hesitate in staying here again.

Note: there is no pool. But, there is a free shuttle that will take you upon checkout to the airport!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the side of the hotel without the neon lights.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leelasmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Clarksville, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We saw a special on this hotel on TV and thought we'd try it for a little old Las Vegas experience. The Cabana suites are recently remodeled. Security was excellent and staff helpful and friendly. Our only complaint was A/C. The unit is under the window as most hotels, but the bed is too close. The circulatioh pattern didn't allow the unit to cycle on and off. As a result, It got really cold on one side of the bed. The casino was pretty smokey, but whatever they tried to combat it made it even worse. The location is convenient to Freemont Street and the older established part of Las Vegas; the part we went to experience this trip.

Room Tip: we opted for Jr. Suite which was same or smaller than average chain hotel room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FankF817
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed staying in the Cabana suite , I think it was a jnr. Suite, but my husband thought it was too small and not as good value as Main Street Station where we had stayed earlier. The bathroom is nearly as big as the main room, it is very modern and lovely to use. The room was quite dim and we only had one window so couldn't make it any lighter. I probably wouldn't,t stay again but was glad that I had as I wanted to see what they were like. it was a lot quicker getting out of your room in comparison to other larger hotels. It also felt very safe and has a security person outside the building 24 hours.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed in the cabana suites just this last weekend. The decor is adorable! All the staff were wonderful, very nice, very friendly.

The rooms are a little dark, a little on the small side, but the beds are comfortable and the rooms were clean.

The cortez cafe had a FABULOUS breakfast, cheaper than Denny's and the staff was great! The casino does have a musty smell to it though.

The parking garage is kind of a tight fit for bigger vehicles. I would stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2013
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was concerned about staying at the El Cortez because I thought that the very reasonable prices might mean we would be in a lean and mean place. NOT SO! I would echo the previous reviewers and say the Cabana suites hotel was a good place to stay if you want to be near Freemont St.. I was surprised at how quiet it was and how easily I slept. I felt sorry for the security guys standing out there in the sun for 8 hours at a time, but yes, security was excellent. Soft corners on the bed frames would be a smart addition. Some of my family were staying in the Tower where the rooms were large and comfortable. The service all round was friendly and very helpful. This is a hotel I would gladly recommend. (The Triple George Grill a couple of blocks away was an added plus!)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here from Sept. 20-22, '13. We originally were planning to stay at the Golden Nugget but the price didn't suit our budget. We booked on Hotwire and got the El Cortez for $44/night.
I was a little nervous after reading the reviews about the area and proximity of the hotel to Fremont St. It's a very short walk which can be done through the El Cortez Casino, and a few blocks up and you are where the action is, if that's what you are looking for. On the walk you will find a bunch of cool restaurants and bars in an area called Fremont East. As for safety, there is a security guard at the Cabana Suites door most if not all of the time. The door is card entry and there is an attendant at the desk of the building. I felt safe coming back to the hotel from 11-1am.
As for the hotel, it's old Vegas. Lots of folks who have been coming to Vegas for 40 years or so and just want to gamble, drink, and eat without spending a lot of money. Check-in was quick, we upgraded for $20 extra/night to the Cabana Suites. We received a "Fun Book" which gives you coupons to use in the casino. We ate at the cafe twice and used a $5 coupon each time. The food is decent and the service is friendly.
The room we stayed in was good. Free wi-fi, comfy bed, kohler fixtures in the bathroom. I was taken aback by the lime green walls, but you get used to it after a few hours.
The only downside was that the property doesn't have a pool, but for $20 bucks a day you can get a chair at the Golden Nugget.
I would stay here again if the price is right. Nice stay all around.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jdn604
West Wendover, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Heard a lot of good things about the Cabana Suites. Heading to Vegas over the 4th of July I was not finding the airfare to my liking until I checked Southwest Vacations, I got a great deal!!!

Stayed in a Junior Suite, non-smoking property which was great, free Wi-Fi, Just a great room.3 minor things I found with the room. 1 NO dresser, only shelves. 2 the wood frame that supports the comfy mattress "bit me twice". 3 NO swimming pool. These 3 thing are me being very picky. would I stay here again? Answer YES!!!!!!! Would I tell my friends to stay here? Answer YES!!!
Love the security at the Cabana Suites. Key card to get in the hotel plus a live security person 24/7.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo