“Outstanding - the way a 5* hotel should be”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #1 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Bedfordshire
“Outstanding - the way a 5* hotel should be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

We had stayed 7 nights in the Encore and 9 in the Bellagio and decided to extend our trip by 2 nights (29th May) We booked the Mandarin Oriental to try the best rated hotel in Vegas – god are we glad we did! If you could give a hotel 6* then this would be it. The service was exceptional and a perfect way to end our holiday. We were greeted by the bell staff who took our bags off us and directed us to the elevator to take up to the 23rd floor where the check-in area is. When we walked out of the lift we were greeted by name by the staff behind the desk. We were also given a cold towel whilst they checked us in to refresh ourselves. Check-in took only a couple of minutes, the clerk then escorted us to the guest elevators to show us how to use them and explained where other services were located within the hotel. We had a room on the 20th floor – 2012. The room was lovely, not huge, but a good size, it overlooked the Monte Carlo.

We headed straight to the pool, we were asked where we would like to sit and we were escorted to our sunbeds where they put the towels out for you and then brought us water. The pool is really serene, you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, it’s hard to believe you are in the middle of Vegas! There is a little background tranquil music, the area is very quiet and perfect to relax in. Most of the time we had the pool to ourselves when we were in it, it wasn’t a busy hotel whilst we were there. We had drinks and a sandwich to share for lunch (was huge) and cost $55. There are bottles of water you can help yourself too but they also kept bringing us glasses of water. If you wanted some shade then all you had to do was ask and they would put an umbrella up for you.

We didn’t eat in the hotel, but had room service one morning for breakfast. The room operated electronically which was all good, our only issue was that you couldn’t turn off one bed side light and leave the other one on, only a small issue. My partner had his shoes cleaned for free, we left them in the valet closet to be picked up and they reappeared later all cleaned and polished and wrapped up! They would also leave your choice of newspaper in the valet closet in the mornings. To me a 5* hotel doesn’t miss the little things, and this hotel certainly didn’t. All the bathroom products were replaced when used and they even fill your ice bucket in the evenings for you (there is no ice machine – but we did ask for a bucket with ice and it was sent to our room). The only slight issue was that our room was next to the elevators and we could hear them going up and down - it didn't stop us from sleeping though.

I would recommend the Mandarin to those that want to escape the fast paced life of Vegas and chill out for a couple of days, for us it was a perfect way to end our holiday – there isn’t a casino or sundries shop/café but it takes 2 mins to walk to the Aria next door. I am so glad we tried this hotel and it has made our top places to stay list!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the elevators
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kelwez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,194)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I can no longer stay anywhere else when in Vegas but the Mandarin. And for me as a Starwood junkie, that says a lot. The property is in the middle of the action next to the City Center shopping and nice casinos like Cosmopolitan (the MO doesnt have a casino). I love that its tucked behind the strip slightly so only 'those in the know' get there, the registration is on the 23rd floor and everyone on staff literally stops to take you in and genuinely welcome you as soon as you step foot anywhere on the property.

I get the basic room, and its absolutely magnificent - the decor, the layout, the amenities, the dark wood blend of old orient and modern everything. My favorite part is the first time entering the room, low music starts and the curtains slowly open - dramatic and perfect. Even the hallways are sexy here, but in a sophisticated classy sexy way, not over the top Vegas rich bratty 30-year old way.

I stay in lots of nice hotels all year round, and the first time I walked into a standard room at this MO, I started taking photos and texted my husband that he has to stay here asap - I never do that.

I havent been to the pool yet (I am usually here for business), the bar at top is nice and good drinks, a little pricey appetizers but probably average for Vegas properties. There is a fancy french restaurant here but I havent been there.

The customer service is extraordinary - the last time I checked in, came in around 2:30 and the room wasnt ready yet so they offered me a drink and food from a delicious sushi menu at their Bistro restaurant (the bar at top was packed jammed). They called me when the room was ready and came down to the Bistro to give me the keys personally instead of my going back up to the Reg Desk.

TREAT YOURSELF to elegance and stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We just came back from a couple nights in this hotel. We had a great time and I was glad I booked it. This was my first trip to Las Vegas and after booking I had worried that I should have booked one of the more famous Vegas hotels, but after being there I was so glad we were in a hotel that you didn't have to walk through the tacky Casino to get to our room. It was also one of the only hotels we visited that didn't feel like a shopping centre.
The only thing that was slightly annoying was they hired the pool out for the only full day we were there and didn't tell us before had, so when we wanted to use it we couldn't.
But other than that we had a great time. Food was nice - although the portions were enough for 3 people. Although they do like to add on things every time you breath so be careful not to get any surprised costs.

2 Thank GraemeGreen
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed in a Strip View room for 6 nights and found the hotel to be a refreshing addition to the normal Las Vegas casino hotels. We have also started at the Four Seasons in Las Vegas in a one bed room suite and we prefer the Mandarin Oriental over the Four Seasons.

The Good:

Great room design with plenty of space. Big bed rooms, good audio video system, excellent computerize controls through the TV screen including the wake up functions(auto blinds opening, tv channels coming on etc). Very comfortable luxurious beds with great linens.

Nicely sectioned off area for a walk in closet with lots of storage.

Nice bathroom design with built in TV (with remote) for the bath tub which fills up very quickly. Shower had very good water pressure, multiple sinks and separate toilet area.

Very good wifi with very fast speed and bandwidth for the whole property. I measured the speed and it was over 20 mega bits per second for both download and upload.

Great service at the front desk, bell boys, door man, concierge etc.

The slightly bad:

We had several issues with house keeping ranging from them forgetting to make up our room which is not normal for a 5 star property. The hotel made it up to us by asking to us to wait in the Sky Lounge with complementary drinks while we waited.

More house keeping issues almost everyday like bathrobes disappearing after house keeping service, no shoe shine service if left in the valet closet with the valet light on and only rectify after calling the operator.

All these problems were fixed from night 5 onward with the director of house keeping over seeing the problem.

Summary - we booked through Kiwicollection.com and with their Visa Platinum package, or perks, our room was upgraded and we enjoyed the excellent complementary Continental breakfast everyday. Kudos to Kiwicollection and the Mandarin Oriental for making our stay a very good one in Las Vegas.

Room Tip: Strip view rooms are nice with a nice view of the strip.
4 Thank Pooky_TH
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed in a strip view suite for 6 nights and could not have been happier. All the staff were excellent and greeted us by name on many occasions. We ate in Mozen every morning for breakfast and the food was of a very high quality. We had one dinner also which was one of our dining highlights. The furnishings and cleanliness were also of a very high standard.

Aria and Cosmo were about a 5 minute walk away and it was great to return to our tranquil haven after a day of Vegas mayhem. The only negative I can think of is that there wasn't enough shade around the pool. I was told that I would go on a list for an umbrella! For a 5 star property, this is unacceptable but I appreciate that Vegas plays by its own rules.

If you won't miss a casino, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Mandarin O, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for valuable feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review of Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas.

I am delighted that your stay with us in September 2011 was a pleasant one. Since your stay with us we have added additional sun umbrellas to our inventory and I am sorry that you were unable to fully enjoy the pool during your time with us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provided us with your feedback, as we can only continue to improve with the help and guidance of our valued guests.

Susanne Hatje
Roeselare, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Just think of every possible item your most perfect hotel must have or meet to be called heavenly and than you're about half way to what the Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas is. Had a marvelous stay, and that's an understatement!

Room Tip: If you want to share a room with more than two people, be sure you get one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

First class from start to finish. A bit off the beaten path - but that's why this place is relaxing. My only negative is poor water pressure in the shower. . .