“GREAT HOTEL FOR FAMILIES IN VEGAS!!”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #2 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
“GREAT HOTEL FOR FAMILIES IN VEGAS!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

We loved everything about this hotel! The service was excellent, the 2 bedroom villa was very spacious! If you are traveling to Las Vegas with kids this is a must stay!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Rae K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,240)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 July 2012

There is really nothing like this place in Las Vegas; it's a zen oasis perfect for couples and families (with well behaved children). I've been to several other hotels, including the Wynn, the Encore, the Four Seasons, the Bellagio, the Venetian, The Cosmopolitan, Aria, the Hard Rock, and others not worth mentioning (when I was much younger); the Mo is best in show. It's not for the singles crowd, looking to mingle. I'd recommend the Cosmopolitan, Encore or Wynn for that. I do enjoy staying at each of those places, on occasion, especially when meeting friends. But the MO is different, it's exceptional. The MO is part of the new City Center development. It's located right on the strip, via a private tunneled driveway. When you valet your car, you know you picked the right spot. The valets are very friendly (not typical in LV but typical for MO). The elevator whisks you to the lobby on the 23rd floor, which is simply gorgeous. The MO does not have a casino, so you can check in without walking thru a smoky, loud, crowded casino. I must admit, I do like walking thru loud, smoky crowded casinos on occasion, just not always. The service is exceptional, and there are typically no lines to check in. I've stayed in just a couple room types - the premier room and the strip view room. The rooms are exceptional, and well maintained. The bathrooms are heavenly - nice tubs, separate glass enclosed shower, double vanity, nice products, etc. The room has all the perks you expect from new hotels, such as remote controlled curtains and lights, iPod/iPad connectors, etc. I suspect any room type will meet expectations, but book the best room you can (general life rule). That's the thing about Vegas. It's a party city so most hotel rooms age quickly. Only the suites are properly kept up. This is not the case at the MO. After checking in, check out at the bar on the 23rd floor. It's a gorgeous bar and the views are fantastic. For dinner, I'd recommend the short walk to the Cosmopolitan thru Crystals shopping center. The Cosmo has some amazing restaurants [Estiatorio Milos (everything is good), Comme Ca (best burger ever), Scarpetta (everything is good, spaghetti must), Jaleo (e is private table with exceptional special menu)]. The pool is a great place to escape. Not suprisingly, the spa is exceptional. There are only two spas worth visiting in LV, in my mind - the Encore Spa (exceptional), and the MO (same). If one is all booked, look into the other. If you need to gamble, the Aria hotel, the Cosmopolitan, the Bellagio and the Planet Hollywood hotel are close and nice places to throw away money. What I really like about the MO LV is that it feels like a small boutique hotel. The staff actually remember you, which is unheard of in LV. This hotel tends to attract the well-heeled crowd, from Europe, South America and the US. For those that say they don't like Las Vegas, stay here before you make up your mind . It's my favorite.

Room Tip: High floor, strip view, suite, champagne and flowers in room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Jeffrey G
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Our stay here was awesome from the moment we arrived. Our plane arrived several hours ahead of check-in, but we went ahead to the hotel expecting to drop off our bags, walk around Vegas and then come back at check-in time. Instead, the front desk staff told us they would get go ahead and check us in as soon as a room was ready. We went to the pool area and were eating lunch when they called us to let us know that our room was ready.

The rooms were high tech and 5 star luxury . The housekeeping and turn-down services were superb. The pool area was peaceful and the staff was always going out of their way to help.

We also liked the fact that this hotel did not have a casino. We traveled with 2 kids under 10 and it was much more relaxing after a long day to come back to a quite hotel than one full of casino activity.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SD6z
Maastricht
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I visited the Mandarin with my family on a roundtrip in the Western states of the US. It is a quiet oasis of service and luxury within crazy Las vegas.
Excellent location, great rooms, exquisite restaurants en beautfull spa, fitness center and pool. The big difference however are the people. I have stayed in many luxury hotels thoughout Europe and the US but have never experienced a service level like the Mandarin in Las Vegas. Personal attention and service is the standard for every staff member and when I Say every member, I mean every staffmember. Form valet, through bellboy, recpetion desk, housekeeping, poolboy, etc. etc.
We had a fantastic stay and I will never even consider another hotel when staying in Vegas.

Room Tip: I had some trouble making reservations for my family. Check the available beds if there are more tha...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Roger_vd_L
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We enjoyed our stay from immensely! Upon arrival, hot and tired after a long plane trip and a discouraging glimpse at the hordes of tourists at the airport, we were oh so pleased when the valet welcomed us into the elegant and empty lower lobby, then ushered us into the elevator and pushed the button for us to go up to the main lobby. The elevator doors open onto a two story golden woven wall - absolutely stunning and then you turn and see the reception desk framed against a two story wall of windows overlooking the strip with the Eiffel Tower dead center. Best of all the lobby was almost empty - we were warmly welcomed and efficiently checked in. I remembered the process fondly every time I walked through another hotel in Vegas and saw long lines of weary people waiting for check-in. The day we visited Mandalay Bay there was a computer meltdown and several conferences and a line of angry people snaking through the lobby waiting to check-in! Our check-in took moments and when we arrived at our room, our luggage was already there waiting for us.
Our room was gorgeous with a strip view, again overlooking the Hotel Paris and the Eiffel Tour replica. The room design was excellent: There was a hall that served as a dressing area with areas to store luggage as well generous closet space. One cool feature: There is a valet closet that opens onto the hall and into the room and thus allowed them to bring newspapers and ice etc without disturbing us. The bathroom features a beautiful soaking tub which has been thoughtfully supplied bath salts and rose petals and a remote control to operate a tv built into the mirror opposite the tub. There are two gorgeous vessel sinks and separate toilet room and shower stall. The bathroom was so well designed I came home wanting to re-do my master bath in its image! One aspect I could never re-create: The wall between the tub area and the bedroom slides open so that you can see the view of the strip while soaking in the tub, really striking when the lights on the strip come on. The room also features a sitting area and a desk area as well as very comfy king sized bed. Notice the flooring if you go: the dark hardwood floor in the rooms is so beautiful and feels so good on your feet!
We did not try the spa, but the pool area is beautiful: it wraps around the building with three pools, cabanas lining the sides and a pool bar and restaurant. We enjoyed a very delicious and relaxing lunch (and excellent cocktails) there on our last day after we had checked out and stored our luggage and were killing time until a late plane. We also a delicious breakfast at the cafe one morning during our stay. We are sorry we didn't get a chance to try their bento box dinners - next time. We did stop for drinks at the bar off the lobby and enjoyed it - same beautiful view of the strip from up high. The drinks are expensive, but they make an excellent Dark and Stormy! and the bar snacks are very good!
We thought the location was perfect: we took the aria tram to the Bellagio and walked from there to the Forum shops, and then took it in the other direction and explored the north end of the strip up to Mandalay Bay. Another day we explored the City Center area and the Planet Hollywood shops across the street. Every day I sighed with relief and appreciation when we got back to our oasis of calm at the Mandarin.
The service is what really makes the Mandarin exceptional. Each and every employee was sincerely interested in making our stay as stress free and enjoyable as possible. When I called for ice the first day, they not only delivered it immediately, they made sure that we had fresh ice on hand every day without another request. When we stored our luggage after check-out and mentioned we were going to lunch by the pool they offered to bring us our luggage to the changing rooms at the pool if we decided to take a dip later. From the valets to the waitresses to the front desk employees, each person we spoke to was engaging and intelligent and polished. Loved our stay so much, my husband and I joked that our new hobby will now be visiting each and every Mandarin Hotel! I guarantee if there is one where we are traveling it will be our first choice!

Room Tip: Ask for a strip view -- it is worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luv2travel23451
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This is a luxury hotel with outstanding service. No smoke or noise of slots machines makes it a perfect escape from the regular Vegas life. But it is just steps from City Center so you can get right into the mix if and when you choose. Rooms are spacious and the spa is excellent if you get a chance to indulge. I stay here about 5 times a year when I travel for work and will continue to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank stephs_treks
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I wanted to try this hotel because it is at the City Center. We always stay at the Four Seasons and felt like we needed to change things up. I wish we had not. The City Center is great. But the Mandarin is not. From the moment we arrived we knew that something was off. You have to take one elevator to the lobby on the 23rd floor. Once you check in, you have to take another separate elevator to your room. Though the lobby and decor are impressive. I wonder who designed this place? It makes no sense. Who thought that taking two elevators every time you leave the hotel was a good idea?
Our room was very nice. With plush 5 star amenities. Except that on one of the times we were leaving our room,THE DOOR HANDLE FELL OFF! Room 925. Beware! When I called to inform the front desk, I asked if we could leave before the maintenance person got there. We had a concert to get to! They essentially told me that we could not leave until they fixed it. Or managed to shut the door without the handle. Not very 5 star right?
Some may like that there is no direct access to a casino at this hotel. But I love that the Four Seasons has the Mandalay Bay casino one elevator ride away. Here, to get to the Aria casino, you have a "7 minute" walk up some stairs or escalator, then across the valet area. Not sure why they could have not connected the 2 hotels. Saving women in high heals from the outdoor 110 degree trek would have been very thoughtful.
We did not eat at the restaurants at the hotel. But we did enjoy a delicious room service breakfast. If you want a variety of food, you have to leave the hotel. There are plenty of places to eat at Aria, Crystal's and even the further out of the way Cosmo.
The pool area is small but nice. The staff there was great and the only reason I am giving this place a 4. Anything you need is served at a moments notice.
Still, I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms, that face the strip pick up the street noise. Order a Bloody Mary at the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple