“Best Hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I just finished my third stay three-night stay in three years at this hotel in September 2012, and this review is mostly about the recent trip though is a bit of a composite review of a number of hotel services. i can't say enough good things about this hotel and consider it the best hotel in Las Vegas, and possibly one of the best in the world - certainly, great value.

My standard room reservation ($205 nine months before, $295 about three weeks before stay) was booked through Amex Fine Hotels which includes continental breakfast credits for two, as well as a $100 spa credit and possible upgrade, if available. Upon check-in, I was upgraded to a strip view room. In the past, I have also enjoyed a strip view room on a 3 for 2 Amex special (no upgrade), but the cost was about the same. Like many of the strip hotels, they charge a $25 hotel fee on top of the room fee to cover newspaper, wireless internet, gym access, exercise classes, and shoe shine.

I've previously stayed at Four Seasons (pre-renovation), MGM, THE Hotel, Mirage, Bellagio (new tower room), Caesar's (new tower room), Luxor and Mandalay Bay.

The difference between the MO and all other LV hotels is simple: they have given more thought to your stay than any other hotel, both in their rooms and their service. I personally think that the lack of a casino provides them with a greater incentive to provide better service than other hotels in the area.

Regarding the physical layout of the hotel, check-in has been been seamless. Often, I am asked my name upon entering the front door, and by the time I arrive up on the elevator to the 23rd floor reception, my reservation has been puled already for me. On this past trip, they even made a note of the newspaper that I had requested in the past and asked me if I'd like it again.

The room itself is not huge, but enough space and a nice layout. Included in the room is a technology kit for foreign/business travelers, iron and ironing board, yoga mat, tv in the main room, tv in the bathroom mirror, a tremendous variety of tv channels (including nfl network, golf network, fox soccer, fox atlantic, fox central, fox pacific, hbo, hbo2, hbo family, cinemax and even the flyte channel which allows one to track incoming and departing flights at LAS airport). The room has a slider between the bathroom and main room, and comes with full technology regarding window shades, sheer blinds and the whole room (tv, lights) is controlled by a tablet.

The spa is fantastic (about 6-7 different stations including a rest room, warm room, steam, hot bath, cold bath, different rain showers), has won a number of awards and is a real first class facility. The spa charge was $50 per day in 2011 and the treatments are a bit expensive, but if booked through Amex Fine Hotels, a $100 credit is included. The pool is also wonderful - we rented two cabanas our first day for eight of us, and half the group rented another one on the next day. I saw one child there on each of the two days, the pool was about 80% full on Saturday in September, and 50% full on Sunday. The pool service, background music, layout and other amenities are exceptional.

The hotel lobby bar while a bit expensive (drinks are $15-$20) is amazing. The view at sunset is 180 degrees and spectacular up and down the strip. I highly recommend going here at least one night before going out to dinner, and of course the cilantro and cucumber margarita while there.

There are so many small instances of exceptional service while at this hotel (including the breakfast attendant remembering my name by the third morning (and not asking for it), employees constantly calling me by my last name, offering a to-go up of coffee at the end of breakfast, warming that the eggs are slightly undercooked upon ordering, exceptionally competent phone operators, that it becomes quickly clear that the employees at the MO are not only trained to do their job, but to anticipate issues related to their job that guests might have. I cannot say enough about their exceptional service.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone considering a luxury hotel in Las Vegas.

A few traveler's tips: (i) there is an Avis car rental in the Monte Carlo next door, (ii) Aria's indoor pool can be accessed in the winter when the MO's pool is closed, (iii) Aria's has a number of great upper/medium restaurants, Sage being their best, and (iv) their is a convenient quick walk to Caesar's through Aria, Vdara, Bellagio and Caesar's that avoids the strip and all the lights and ups and downs along the way.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank BPod1

Reviewed 19 September 2012 via mobile

This is absolutely the best hotel in Las Vegas, The spa is spectacular , if you can request an upgrade for your room at the check in, for a few more dollars you can stay in one of the amazing suites they have

4  Thank Arielrivas
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Lovely property...an oasis of calm amid the craziness of Las Vegas. The room was well situated and a nice size. The location at City Center was fantastic. The service, for the most part was very good. We were there to celebrate a birthday weekend, and the first night, we were greeted with a beautiful plate complete with cupcakes, truffles and other goodies. Unfortunately, all of our luggage and belongings, including an opened bottle of water was completely wiped from our room. I contacted the front desk, who apologized for the "inconvenience" and said they would look into it and get right back to me. Twenty minutes later, with no response, my husband went to the lobby and found out that they were responding to a request (which we never made) to relocate to another room. The name of the guests that made the request was not our name, and, we were told another story by another employee. A very nice bellman brought everything back to us (including the water) and apologized about a half hour later...Also, at checkin we were asked which newspaper we would like delivered each morning, and none was ever delivered. Finally, we were called and told by in-room dining that they were very sorry, but they tried to deliver a plate of fruit and cookies, but our privacy sign was up, so, they would deliver it at our convenience. We asked if it could be delivered in a couple of hours and they said they would...Three days later..nothing was ever delivered. Housekeeping was very efficient and did a great job, but came very late the first day. I know many of the errors are unusual and hopefully are a rarity because he pool area, gym, restaurant , hotel and room itself are beautiful, and, oddly enough, I'd stay there again.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Checking into Mandarin Oriental was like a slice of heaven. I picked this hotel so that we could relax before planning a wedding and other life events. Basically a quick getaway that neither one of us wanted to return from. The staff is awesome, the security is as well. We are now planning a longer getaway. You will fall in love with this place.

Room Tip: All the rooms have awesome views
2  Thank Dee B
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I stayed in this Hotel. We were celebrating an early B-day and we had a wonderful time. I loved the fact that there wasn't a casino in this hotel therefore no crazy sound machine and, people smoking next to you! The food was excelent at the restaurant " Twist", the room comfortable, I love the automatic black out blinds, there was even a TV in the bathroom vanity area! It does have a unique configuration, you have to go to floor 23rd which is the lobby ( I know crazy, but it is) then from there you go to your room or suite back down.(another elevator), you can't go from the entrance floor to your room directly. The new shopping center "Crystals" only has top name designers. Overall a good experience but I think I'd like to visit other fun place next time.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed here for our 5th wedding anniversary and it was our first trip to Vegas. The hotel is on the strip next to the Aria and not far from the Cosmopolitan. The door staff were very friendly and helpful when we arrived and directed us straight to the lobby on the 23rd floor which has fantastic views. Check in was quick and easy. Our room (a cityscape room) was large and gorgeous - thoroughly tranquil with all the amenities you would expect of a 5 star hotel and more - include a room remote to control the curtains/entertainment/air-con and yoga mats and DVDs. Bathroom was roomy and well appointed with twin sinks, lovely bath and shower, hair dryer and straighteners ( which is great as UK hair dryer was very underpowered on their power supply). The bed was huge and very comfortable and the room was cleaned twice a day.

Breakfast in the Mozen Bistro was pricey but well worth it. The pool area is very relaxing with plenty of space. Of particular note - Henry Fang, who checked us in, was very accommodating and sent up a lovely cake on our anniversary! Glen (concierge) was also very helpful. A real drop of serenity and luxury in an otherwise chaotic (but fantastic!) city.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Harrib0
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I spent a lovely long weekend in Las Vegas and managed to get a great deal at the Mandarin Oriental. This hotel is FABULOUS if you are looking for a place that is very well located YET quiet. We could walk less than 3 mins out the door and be on the Strip but the hotel was just tucked away and thus afforded much needed peace and quiet when we wanted to sleep.

The rooms are lovely and serene and the staff are very understated yet helpful. There is NO casino in the building which lends itself to the peaceful setting. We had lovely views of the Strip though and the hotel pool is gorgeous, especially if you can snag a cabana.

This is NOT the place if you are going for a hen/stag weekend as you will find it too quiet and annoy all the other guests!!

We will definitely be going back the next time we go to Vegas.

My only gripe - they have a state of the art sound system in the room - which is great - but not if the room next to you decided to play it at full blast throughout the night. The system is so powerful that the bass resonates through the bathroom wall. To the night duty's credit, they did get security in and got the room next door to turn it off.

1  Thank stinkyinky