“Swishy but generic”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed late August 2012. We enjoyed our stay and have praise for the decor, room and staff. However, I have to say, alas, it was all very "generic". We could have been anywhere - say Hong Kong, Singapore etc. It was not a very "Vegas" hotel. Also, we had our 2 young children with us. There were no other children to be seen so we kept a discreet and low profile. However, it wasn't until we'd all been in the pool for a good half an hour that I saw a sign saying children were only allowed in the pool for 10 minutes. Ten minutes? Poor kids to be so discriminated against on a hot day! I don't think I'd stay here again. I'd rather have a hotel with a volcano or a shark aquarium or dancing fountain next time I visit so that I know for certain that I'm in Vegas.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the strip.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Happytravellerabc
Mandarin O, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for valuable feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review of Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas.

Regarding your concerns about the signage posted at our pool, pre Clark County Health and Safety Code we are required to post signs on our Pool Deck, which recommend limited exposure time to the temperatures found in the Jacuzzi for children less than 12 years of age. I do apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience this may have caused as we in no way intended for you to feel as if your children are unwelcome. Please do rest assured that we are delighted to welcome our guest and their children to Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas and strive to make their stay with us a delightful and memorable experience.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provided us with your feedback, and if you wish to further discuss your concerns please do contact me directly at molas-gm@mohg.com.

Clifford W. Atkinson

Write a ReviewReviews (6,229)

Reviewed 25 September 2012

This hotel is a total quiet oasis in the middle of the LV strip. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you have what you need. If you are looking for the best service in Las Vegas look no further. There is no casino, no party and no noise, so if that's what you want go elsewhere. If you want to relax, have wonderful service and get treated like royaly MO is the best of the best. We stayed at Encore and you cannot compare the two, MO wins by a mile.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScubaOcean
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and I, along with family accompanying us had the pleasure of staying at the Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas during a 4 day trip. Trying to avoid the noise of a traditional Vegas Hotel, where you are forced to walk through the casino, even to get to one's rooms, but still stay in a full service hotel, we have stayed in the Four Seasons in the past. As that was booked, and there extensive reports of shabby service and bed bugs at our initial choice (the Lexor), we changed to the Mandarin 5 days before our arrival. Staying at this property was a wonderful experience. The decor was modern, with just about every control system for lights, curtains, and the extensive entertainment system. The food, from room service, to the more casual restaurant on the 3rd floor, was OUTSTANDING. In addition, the staff, from check in, to check out, including housekeeping, matenance, doormen, bellmen, and waiters, were extremely well trained, personal, and gave oustanding service without "hovering" around us. A great trip, and a wonderful hotel experience.... Having traveled through much of our world, we consider this one of the top three hotels in which we have stayed (the others being the Adlon (Berlin), and the Cavelieri Hilton (Rome).

Room Tip: Strip view slightly better than city view, but in my opinion not worth the extra cost. City view wi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed as a couple for 4 nights at the end of September. The hotel is a lovely peacefull place to come back to after a hectic day or night on the strip! The service was wonderful from all staff, from check in to pool boy. For example, they were very helpful in getting us a hire car organsied so that we could drive ourselves to the Grand canyon.

This was our first trip to Vegas and I am extremely glad that we picked the Mandarin (mainly I must say becuase of the reviews on trip advisor). The hotel really is a lovely place to come back to after strolling through the heat and hustle and bustle of the casinos. The pool area is a relaxing place to chill out while still feeling "vegas". All in all I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Vegas. Only minor negative is that complimentary cofee was only available 6-8am, which seemed a little early for Vegas!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

This is a wonderful restful luxurious place to recuperate from the frantic Las Vegas strip. The lobby afternoon champagne and tea service with a view of the strip was perfect. The spa is decadent with very attentive service. There are unique spa services such as a programable shower to simulate tropical or arctic storms. High tech rooms make playing with the bells and whistles a pasttime in itself. The tasting menu with wine pairing at Twist was spectacular. The six course meal was too filling. The three course menu would be perfect.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I'd heard good things about this property, and because I'm a fan of the no-casino and no-smoking luxury hotels in Vegas such as the Four Seasons, this sounded perfect. The staff provides simply spectacular service and always go the extra mile for anything you need.

The bed was AMAZING... one of the best ever I've slept in any hotel. Decor was cool and while a bit dark it was gorgeous. Fabulous gym and spa. Food was delicious and fresh everywhere on the property. Drinks were great as well. Yes a bit overpriced, but worth it.

At first I felt a little too shut off from the rest of the city... UNTIL we went out at night, and after experiencing all the chaos, couldn't wait to come back to this haven on the strip!

I liked how you were in walking distance to the Aria (highly recommend dinner at Sage) and Crystals/CityCenter shops and restaurants. You don't have to go far to enjoy some energy and change of scenery.

My only two critiques:
1. I wish their bathrooms had FANS in the water closets. They have glass doors and you hear *everything*. My boyfriend and I did not need to hear each other's bodily functions over the weekend! Was not romantic for sure.
2. Checkout was poorly staffed at 2pm on a Sunday. I was only 3rd in line but had to wait at least 10 minutes, which I found unusual for their level of service otherwise over the weekend.

Room Tip: go for the strip view - you'll love it
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sologirltraveler
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This hotel chain have created something very special in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip. It is an oasis from the heat and chaos that is Las Vegas.

The hotel isn't part of a casino complex and so there's no fighting your way through through a haze of cigarette smoke and milling flip flop wearing tourists when you enter and leave the establishment. Instead you are whisked to the 23rd floor where a cool and sophisticated hotel reception awaits. Check in is fast and efficient. We found the room we were allocated wasn't quite what we were anticipating but 1 phone call later we were upgraded into a suite with a view of the strip to die for!

The whole interior of the hotel is designed to calm and chill your spirit. From the oriental muzak to the subdued lighting and decor all works wonderfully well to relax and invigorate. The staff were helpful but unobtrusive, there to help when needed with advice or to service rooms seemingly invisibly.

Polly and I would describe this as the best hotel we have ever visited.

Thanks to all involved.