Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$189
US$144
US$190
US$146
  • Restaurant
Treasure Island - TI Hotel & Casino(Las Vegas)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$79
US$304
US$259
US$79
US$45
The Mirage Hotel & Casino(Las Vegas)(Great Value!)
US$272
US$208
  • Restaurant
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino(Las Vegas)(Great Value!)
US$132
US$90
  • Restaurant
Paris Las Vegas(Las Vegas)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$112
US$58
US$21
  • Pool
Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino(Las Vegas)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$112
Travelocity
6,362 results
All reviewsmozen bistrosky lobbyvalet closetcityscape roombath saltsstrip view suitepool cafefour seasonsturn down serviceluxury hotelother hotelspool staffhigh techin room diningsteam roomremote controlsoaking tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Most people reading this are probably trying decide which 5 star hotel in Las Vegas to stay at. I had the pleasure of staying at the Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, and Aria since August. All are rated as 5 star hotels, but honestly the Aria's service is virtually non-existent compared to the other two, so I will leave it out of this comparison (although the Aria's rooms are very nice and modern). For reference, I stayed in the most basic room levels in both hotels.

First Impression
Mandarin Oriental: We arrived at the MO at 1pm. The bell took our bags and we headed up to the 23rd floor to check in. Our room wasn't ready yet, even though I had called the day before to request early check in. They were booked fully the night before, so I can't blame them. The front desk agent offered to call us when the room was ready. We headed out to lunch and sure enough a little after 2pm we received the call that our room was ready. The overall first impression met expectations.

Four Seasons: We arrived at the FS around 8pm on a Friday. The hotel is accessed through a separate entrance on the south side of the Mandalay Bay. The bell took our bags and we headed to check-in. The computers were down so they offered us complimentary drinks the bar. After 40 minutes at the bar we didn't want to wait anymore, as we were hungry for dinner. I let one of the front desk employees know that we were heading to the Italian restaurant in the hotel. 30 minutes into dinner the original front desk agent found us in the restaurant and brought us all the paperwork to check us in and handed us our room keys. That was amazing service! I just laugh when I think about how bad the normal Vegas experience is compared this (even at other "5 star" hotels). Dinner was delicious by the way and I definitely recommend the Italian restaurant.

I'm going to give the edge here to the Four Seasons because we received free drinks during our wait and because the front desk employee went above and beyond to make things right.

Rooms
Four Seasons: the rooms at the FS are in the style of "traditional luxury". Very nice, lots of plush. Decent amenities, nice bathroom. A small radio clock with an Apple docking station and aux input is available. Since the hotel uses the top floors of the Mandalay Bay, every room has a great view with floor to ceiling windows. We were south facing, so no strip view unfortunately, only airport views. I imagine the strip view must be amazing if you are north facing.

Mandarin Oriental: the MO is known for its Asian luxury style, which is carried through from the front desk agent handing you cards with both hands to every detail the room. I personally much preferred the MO style over the FS. Not only was the decor much more interesting, the room layout was much better in the MO. When entering, the room has a small hallway to the side that has several closets and a big shelf for suitcases (ours were already placed there by the bell). Next is the bathroom, which has a very nice open layout with glass walls. There is a freestanding tub as well as a separate shower room. The mirror has a TV built in. The rest of the room is just as nice, with a very comfortable bed. We were in the 9th floor overlooking the pool (which is located on the 8th floor). I have read other people complaining about the lack of views due to the low location the hotel rooms in the tower (floors 5-22), and I see that point. The room has the latest electronic room controls (same as the Aria) and has a technology kit that has all the cables need to hook up to the TV and audio in the room. Great if you want to play your own tunes. A touch screen display in the bedside table allows you to control everything the room. Little touches like bath salts by the tub and flower petals add the experience.

The Mandarin Oriental definitely wins hands down in the room category.

Staff and service
Aside from the positive experience at check in and a very friendly and helpful concierge, the service at the FS was unremarkable. At the MO on the other hand, the staff was so friendly that is was memorable. Every employee we'd encounter would say hello and wish us a great day. Everyone from the bell, to restaurant employees when we would just pass by a restaurant, to random staff in the elevator. So friendly! That weekend I was in Vegas for the rock and roll marathon and the day of the race everyone wished me good luck as I left for the race and welcomed me back afterwards. The MO wins on the service front.

Location
The FS is out of the way on the south end of the strip, which is a bit unfortunate. The Mandalay Bay does offer many restaurant options though, and is accessible from the FS room elevators through a secret door on the casino level.

With the central City Center location the MO is in waking distance of a lot of other casinos, which is a big plus. The Aria and Crystals Shops are just a minute away, so there is lots of food and shops nearby. The MO definitely has the better location.

Overall Rating
I much prefer the Mandarin Oriental over the Four Seasons. The service, rooms and location can't be beat.

Addressing some of the other reviewer's concerns:

Elevators: Other reviewers were complaining about having to ride to the 23rd floor lobby just to ride back down to their room floor. The trick is to use the 3rd floor to transfer from the lobby elevator to the room elevator. Much faster!

Comparing to other MO properties:
Another reviewer was pointing out how the service is lacking compared to other MO properties, in that case the Munich location. Here you have to keep in mind that Munich has less than 75 rooms, while Vegas has almost 4 times the number of rooms. It simply is tougher to offer overly personalized service when there are so many rooms. As more high end hotel chains partner up with other properties to offer smaller, boutique style experiences, I am sure we will see the level of service increase. I for one love the trend of true luxury hotels opening on the strip, and the Mandarin Oriental is my new favorite hotel in Las Vegas.

13  Thank julp29
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is really the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in! It has a soothing spa feeling. My husband wanted some ice so he went looking for the ice machine. When he couldn't find it they said they personally bring it to your room. There's a cute little valet box by the room door so they don't even disturb you when they bring ice or newspapers.
We were glad we paid the $35 option to have breakfasts included. Absolutely fresh & delicious! You can eat in the restaurant or for $5 more they brought it on a round table with flowers to our room. Do not miss the bar - it has great views!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank garyandjoadkison
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We all know Vegas and the options that exist there...

This hotel was terrific from start to finish on a recent visit.

Background on this review:

I was there with my wife just for a leisurely weekend. Cannot comment as a business traveler at this hotel.

The staff was very attentive. Room was solid and extremely clean with turn down service. The vibe was excellent all the way around. The "little things" were paid attention to by staff yet also the "big things" were there like a great pool, nice restaurant for breakfast and gorgeous bar all on property.

Another bonus is no casino in the hotel so you don't feel like it is the "running of the bulls" every minute in the lobby.

Highly recommend to any person seeking a great location on the strip and desiring top shelf service from a hotel with well trained staff.

Room Tip: Some rooms have outstanding views... research which views you want. Hallways are short in this hotel so all rooms are pretty close to the elevators.
1  Thank Gen_X_Fla_Guy
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My son's recent wedding was held here. It was 5 star all the way, the venue, the staff, the accommodations. I highly recommend this hotel, either for an event or just as a place to stay while on Vegas.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013

It is probably the best hotel you can find in Las Vegas. Service is fantastic and room is pretty nice. Glamorous and modern. After reading so many reviews here, i did not regret choosing this hotel. I think it could have been better if the entrance to the hotel is not underground. Overall a great hotel to be in