“An oasis of peace”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Spent one week at the Mandarin Oriental the week before Thanksgiving. The Mandarin Oriental was perfect for our needs. We could go out onto the Vegas Strip and visit different hotels and casinos, but then we came back to our oasis of peace. Quiet and smoke free. Our CityScape Suite was huge and gave us views on three sides - quite spectacular. However, it was the service that impressed us the most. We were always remembered and welcomed home from the women who cleaned our rooms, to the desk clerks and particularly the doormen. Try the Sunday Brunch. There is a fixed price for unlimited champagne or mimosas, the food is wonderful and the deserts to die for. We also tried the Spa and were impressed with the facilities as well as the courteous and helpful staff. My only negative comment, which did not affect our stay in the least, is the unimpressive entrance to the hotel. If you want a sense of peace, try this hotel.

Room Tip: CityScape Suite gives you fabulous views of the Strip and of the mountains. A 270 degree view. Saw...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a hotel that lets you escape from the madcap pace of Vegas. It's calm and lovely. Everything is first class, from the tea and towel upon arrival to the lovely rooms and carefully prepared room service. It's awfully nice to have a place in Vegas that takes you away from the craziness of it all. The rooms are quite large, as are the bathrooms. There's even a pot of complimentary green tea to brew!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank WanderingMartha
Reviewed 1 December 2013

As the title says, this was my 8th visit to MO Las Vegas and it won't be the last. It is now, and will no doubt remain, my hotel of choice in Las Vegas.

As previous reviews have said, the place is an absolute haven. Steps from the Strip, the mall, CVS, a ton of decent casinos ... and it comes with world-class service, top class meals, a bar with a fantastic strip view, a world-class spa, and best of all (in my opinion) - no drunken jerks waking you up at 4am, as is the norm for most other Vegas hotels.

So, you must be able to afford the Mandarin if you're reading this review. So, don't spend your time looking elsewhere; just book in, safe in the knowledge that you have booked, without a doubt, the best hotel in Las Vegas. Period.

Room Tip: Mandarin Premier Room is always my choice when staying here.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank youaremessedup
Reviewed 1 December 2013

So, a huge part of me would like to write a bad review. This place is pretty much perfect and I would like to keep the secret from the rest of world. It's just crazy, amazing, good. You are in the heart of the strip, close to everything, and out of the chaos. Every whim here is accomodated. I was unhappy with my pillow. Immediately, different pillows were brought to my room so I could choose the perfect pillow. Our ice bucket was always filled with our turn down service. The bathrooms are amazingly zen. I worked out while watching the strip wake up. The spa is quiet and restful and far exceeds Aria, Mandalay Bay and the Venetian.

The Mandarin is more of an experience than a hotel. It's utterly, absolutely, peaceful. All of the luxury boxes are checked, and then they add more. You have a flat iron and a yoga mat in your room. (I always forget a yoga mat. I don't know about you.) If you need a places for your jewels, a jewelry box is provided. They remember your name. They record your preferences so that when you return, they know.

I have stayed at the Four Seasons, and love the Four Seasons. Ritz properties are great. This place is simply better. Yes, it's nutty expensive and I would pay a lot more for this level of pampering.

If you want crazy 24 X 7, don't stay here. If you want to visit crazy Las Vegas and retreat to luxry defined, this is the place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnotherHoustonian
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed here twice and I really like it. I usually stay at other hotels nearby and come here for drinks or breakfast. The rooms are comfortable and the staff is very caring. The spa is one of my favorite in town. The views for tea or cocktails is a must see.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

The Mandarin Oriental is my favorite hotel in Las Vegas. First it is quiet as it is not a casino, second it is very modern and comfortable. Rooms are in excellent condition, spacious and will the amenities you'd want. Service is impeccable and a notch above what I've seen in other Vegas hotels.

Dining options are great from breakfast at Mozen to over the top dinner at Twist. And the nearby Aria and Crystals provide plenty more choices a short walk away.

Finally the price we paid was very reasonable for the quality we got.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurent606
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Quite simply not operating at the MO standard. If you are used only to staying in MO properties in Asia or Europe you will find the gulf between those experiences and the MO in LV impossible to bridge. I am biased towards MO and having stayed in most of their key properties regularly so wanted to like this one. So what's the problem - surprisingly the service and the facilities.

Start with the good stuff. Rooms are typical MO. big comfortable bed. Soft and clean bedding.housekeeping in this property do a great job. The front office staff (in our case Lily) were swift, courteous and efficient with the check in process. Concierge similarly was very helpful and efficient in arranging tables at the bar and also providing a shaving kit plus toothbrush. We had a drink on our first evening at the MO bar which provides and excellent view of the strip. Service was great and quickly arranged a nice table for us. The ciapharrinia was unfortunately terrible - all lime and no sugar. Fortunately this was replaced with no issue. The main plus point about the MO LV however is the fact it is not a casino so actually tries to operate as a five star resort.

The bad stuff. Breakfast. First you need to reserve which was not advised in any of the literature or by the staff. 30 min wait for a table at 1030am. When the table was ready it was in an ante room. No issue with that as the restaurant was full however we did ask to be moved when a table became available.

1. We were never approached again regarding an alternative table
2. Order took 45 minutes to arrive.
3. Food quality was diabolical - eggs Benedict comprised of two dry and cold muffins, no butter, one thin piece of what tasted like processed ham rather than fresh. The hollandaise was curdled. It was obvious this dish had been prepared to order then left awaiting service for a long period of time.
4. Asked for and never received 2 fruit juices. Asked again. Nothing. And again. Nothing. Four times we requested a juice. Only arrived when we were leaving.
5. But - the la piece de resistance was when we asked for the check we were told that it was ok. The manager has service recovered by comping the whole meal. Genius. You have comp'ed a meal that was already paid for in the room rate, I think this final point highlights the fundamental issue. The staff pay absolutely no attention to the guest. A cursory glance to the system would have de minimus shown that we already had an inclusive. Second, a slightly more lengthy check would have highlighted the guest profile and the number of historical stays. I the end you don't service recover and annoy a long standing repeat customer .

This service length experience was also repeated at the pool bar. 35 mins for a burger and green curry. Granted when they finally arrived they were very good although the burger was not a patch on the MO burgers in Singapore, Tokyo or HK which is surprising given we were in the US. My favourite however was when the food was chased the response we got from the server was essentially that we needed to be patient as the food had to come from a kitchen downstairs. I mean really, seriously, does the guest care where logistically your kitchen physically is?

Other irritants. We were staying here in November. I cannot imagine how unpleasant the pool must be in the summer as despite the space the pools are two thin strips of 15m x 2m lap pools.

In the spa my bathrobe was put into the washing bin without even being checked - my key was in it. Can understand totally that oversight but to put my goggles in as well beggars belief.

So summary - I can only assume the MO brand operates to a different standard or set of measures in the US when compared to the rest of the group. Not the MO I expected.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Dsharratt
Mandarin O, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. While we appreciate your comments regarding the comfort of our rooms and Mandarin Bar, we apologize sincerely that we did not meet or exceed your expectations during your stay and service at MOzen Bistro. I understand that the restaurant’s manager, Mr. Theis, has been in contact with you and I hope you were able to speak with him directly so that we may have the chance to demonstrate to you our renowned services that we are known for with a return visit in the near future.