“Sanctuary”

GreenLeadersGold level
Auckland
“Sanctuary”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights at this hotel, found the whole experience to be awesome, the service was great and it was nice to stay at a hotel without a casino, after the hustle and bustle of the strip it was like coming back to a sanctuary, loved it and would highly recommend

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Roy H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hastings On Hudson, NY
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Go here if you need to be in Las Vegas and hate the casino scene. While the presentation is a bit dark and forbidding, the people that work there make it cosy as staying at grandma's. When the staff uses your name, its not because they're making robo-comments, they really remember you and they are really friendly about it. The waiter thoughtfully asked if I wanted a paper to read during dinner even though the place looked way to classy to even think about asking for one. The front door guy went out of his way to tell the cab driver to take me to a nearby address to the one I really wanted and saved me about 20 minutes of traffic jam on the strip. And the attendant at the gym opened up the locked yoga studio so I could do stretches in a more quiet environment. And, you can get from your room to the restaurant in under 5 minutes which unimagineable in one of the hotels that are connected with a casino. All that and the bathtub is the size of a small swimming pool and the views are amazing and its quiet and clean and very very comfortable. Its pricey so that's something to consider, but really nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Fsilverstein
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Aside from the unique, dreamlike aesthetic and miraculous views from the 23rd lobby and bar, (and the truly exquisite spa) what this property has going for it most is its supreme guest relations.

The genuine, warm service we encountered at every stop along our two night stay was unforgettable. From the wonderful two ladies we dealt with at the front desk to our charming server at MOzen Bistro that night; to the outstanding service provided by our spa attendant and finally our personable and adorable cocktail waitress in the lobby bar (not to mention house keeping, bell and valet staff); this was the best service I've encountered at any luxury hotel, and I don't say that easily.

The decor of the hotel is notably fantastic. The dark sheen of the Mandarin's sleek interior draws you in to its airy and ethereal mystic. You feel like you're floating in the sky above the heart of the strip, as the 23rd floor sky-lobby's floor-to-ceiling panoramic views offer enchanting and spectacular vistas of Las Vegas.

The spa is beyond exceptional ($$$$), beautifully designed and again the best I've enjoyed, so if time and funds allow you any chance to pass some time there, do not miss the opportunity to indulge.

The property has its imperfections however, and since it seems it's the most expensive on the strip, imperfections carry a heavier weight.

The hotel occupies an extremely convenient but crowded terrain on the strip, and the residences at the hotel are all above the lobby, thus gobbling up the best views in the building. Which leaves the hotel on the lower levels, floors 4-22, where the views range from good to satisfactory, at best.

I had a gut instinct about this at reservations, so I requested either a upgrade to the Premier room or to be on floors 20-22. At check-in we received neither. I should have booked a Premier room to begin with. Big mistake.

So upon entering our room on floor 17, the strip view was a big disappointment. Perhaps having been spoiled by unparalleled, iconic views in lesser-expensive, bigger suites at near same-tier luxury city-center competitors Aria and Vdara, this wasn't worth the price (esp considering resort fee + valet fee + tax).

The room was elegantly appointed, but on the small side. The bathroom was luxurious and beautiful, encased in frosted glass, marble, stone and porcelain.

But then I noticed something unforgivable in my opinion for a hotel room. The toilet, though in its own frosted glass enclosed closet, had no true privacy, as the frosted glass was semi-transparent. So if you're sitting on the toilet, you're in view from the room's hall & foyer. Not cool MO!

Called the front desk, and the lovely agent seemed genuinely concerned, since I admitted that we were going to have to change hotels the following day if nothing else was available.

We saw two additional rooms, one in a lower category which had double frosted glass in the bathroom (why they didn't double frost all the rooms I don't understand) but had a less than desirable view. Next we viewed the junior suite, and since no Premier rooms were available, we decided to pay to upgrade to it. And despite any and all troubles, we had to pay handsomely.

The junior suite was gorgeous and hardly junior. Apparently because the junior suites occupy floors 4-6, with little view, they are considered a lesser category than the other suites, yet they are magnificent. Since we didn't have a view in the strip view room anyways, beauty and space trumped view. AND this suite had a private toilet! (phew)

One other issue needs be addressed: the Mandarin resort fee. While every high end hotel in Vegas has one, it usually includes valet. Not the case at the Mandarin; that's $20 extra. So what does come with the resort fee? After scouring the list of supposed amenities included, the only one included worth our while was the wifi connectivity. But for $25/day?

We will indeed stay at this memorable Vegas hotel again.

We'll just make sure to book a Premier room or higher. And considering the hotel's cost, for it to really be worth your money, I suggest you do the same.

Room Tip: Premier rooms, junior suites or higher are the best choices if you're going to indulge in the Ma...
7 Thank bahstar1
Edmonton
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We have enjoyed staying at the Mandarin Oriental located on the strip in Las Vegas.

The bed was very comfortable with great bedding!!

Its was a very quiet hotel in the middle of a very noisy environment.

The staff was great !!

This hotel definitely made us fee pampered!!

1 Thank DeAne L
Toronto
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was our 1st stay @ a Mandarin Oriental & we were quite impressed. The hotel & rooms were spotlessly clean even by my wife's very picky standards. Service from the doorman to front desk to the cleaning staff were all perfect. This is the ideal place if u r looking for a hotel without a bustling casino downstairs.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank CrazyFoodieGuy
Bienville
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas a few times and have yet to be disappointed! They are always ver friendly and there to answer any questions and solve any problems. The rooms are very beautiful and always clean. It may be a little pricey compared to some of the other larger hotels in Vegas, but it is well worth it. On one of our trips to Vegas for a UFC fight we decided to just stay at the same hotel in which the fight was being held instead of our usual Mandarin choice and boy was that a mistake!! We will never stay at another hotel other than the Mandarin when visiting Vegas.
We have also had the luxury to experience the Mandarin's top service Spa and it was also wonderful. My husband and I had a couples massage in the Dragon Suite and were highly pleased and relaxed! This same trip was also a surprise for my husband for his Bday and Mandarin new this and upon our arrival they had a surprise Birthday dessert in our room for him which I thought was a very thoughtful touch! If you want top notch service and treatment I would highly recommend staying at the Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful and I don't feel you will be disappointed in any. We've stayed i...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mermaidgirl78
Ladera Ranch, California
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Let me start by saying I am not a Vegas fan...my husband twisted my arm into going to a Volleyball tourney for his daughter because it was Valentine's Day. I don't love crowds, loud noises or cigarettes, which pretty much sums up Vegas. I even booked myself a flight home early so I would not have to endure 4 days there...BIG MISTAKE!
This hotel has got service down. The place smells like heaven...I never heard a sound from outside the door, the bathtub with bath salts is the bomb, bar on lobby level (23rd floor) was fabulous, linens were super posh...we slept until past 10 on Saturday it was so peaceful.
Everything is controlled electronically from your bedside...I could go on and on.
When I got home I realized I did not have my Tiffany diamond heart necklace on and knew that I had left it on the desk in the room. I called security and they went to check the room and could not find it...I was heartbroken! When my husband got back to the room he found the diamond necklace on a white towel in the bathroom...I had put it there while getting ready!!! I will never dread a trip to Vegas again and look forward to visiting this hotels other locations!!!

5 Thank Susiebeach