“A Prince Amidst Frogs!!”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I should preface this review by stating that I LOATHE LAS VEGAS! Outside of conventions and conferences, it attracts everything that I abhor...smokers, gamblers, inappropriately/underdressed women and overindulgent drinkers.

That being said, I begrudgingly visit Las Vegas for concerts and conventions and The Four Seasons was go-to property. I love the Mandarin's NY property and thought I might give the Las Vegas property a try. My experience was so amazing that I had a hard time not posting this review before checking out! This property is so well designed, maintained, managed, staffed and decorated that it's hard to believe that it's nestled in alongside the monstrosities/other hotels on the Strip. The difference is immediately discernible upon your arrival. The bellman was friendly and helpful but not overly so. The set-up at the Las Vegas property is the same as it is in NY-you take an elevator from the ground level to a reception/check-in area in a much higher floor.

CHECK IN:
Check-In went off without a hitch and the gentleman who checked us in was great. The check-in area and adjacent tea/dining area are airy , nicely decorated and spacious. And unlike the other monstrosities, there are NO gaming machines and NO NO NO smoking! The area also isn't heavily populated with groups of loud obnoxious guests just hanging out. I also observed and appreciated that there weren't any children running around unsupervised. There was a cool calm quiet in this area.

THE ROOM:
The room was PERFECT! The carpets in both the hallway and room were both tasteful and super clean. Hats off to the Mandarin for not installing a busy pattern in dark colors that conceals dirt and causes vertigo! I like to see what I'm sleeping and walking on...I don't like sleeping on dark sheets and I don't like walking on dark carpet. The room was incredibly well appointed and decorated-beautiful dark woods...and the furniture wasn't too heavy/large for the room. There was a light beige lounge/chaise and I actually lounged on it for hours because I could visibly see that it was super clean. The bed was SUPER comfortable with luxuriously soft bedding. The pillows were perfect! The nightstands were the perfect height-within reach when lying down in bed. We really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the reading lights that were attached to the side of the bed/wall. The bathroom was EVERYTHING!! Really well designed and decorated-again not over the top-just right! It was SUPER SUPER SUPER clean and the lighting was designed and placed. I appreciated the beige marble because it allowed me to see that the bathroom was clean. They didn't try to disguise age and grime with dark/black marble or tile. They provided more than enough towels, which I really appreciated. I loved the in-mirror television as well. I don't use tubs at hotels but if I did, I would have used this one. It was a super clean modern freestanding oval tub that was easy and safe to access and it was sans those nasty-germ filled jets!! Just a simple elegant tub! I appreciated the lighting in the room and that drapes could be opened and closed electronically from the nightstand.

What I REALLY appreciated about this hotel was the cleanliness and the noise-level....it felt as though there were no other guests at the hotel, as we never heard doors opening and closing, never heard noise from the strip and never heard guests speaking in loud tones in the hallway outside of our room.

HOUSEKEEPING:
We left housekeeping a large but well-deserved tip because they did an amazing job. I had a ton of toiletries that the housekeeper placed and organized on a towel on the counter-thank you!! He/she also paid attention to a lot of other details.

IN-ROOM DINING:
Our room came with a Classic American breakfast for 2 and it was delicious and HUGE! Compared to other hotels (across the board-not just in Vegas), $28 for a breakfast that included coffee/tea and juice, eggs, bkfst meat and toast is a real bargain. The food was cooked to perfection and delivered to our room within 20 mins during peak-bkfst time.

VIEW/LOCATION:
Our room was on the 9th floor and had an Instagram worthy view of the Strip! It is right in middle of things on the Strip-next door to a CVS, Starbucks and tons of restaurant options. Walking distance to most of the major attractions and other hotels.

OVERALL VALUE:
We booked our June stay last February directly on their website and locked in a rate of $315 p/night (including tax and bkfst for 2). We don't gamble but I'd say we hit the jackpot with our rate and this hotel. It is now my go-to property for Las Vegas and I am immensely grateful that it's there!! An absolutely amazing and restful stay. Well done Mandarin!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank CocoaContessa
Write a ReviewReviews (6,236)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The best friendliest and love to help staff.
Love the room design, the strip view and the quality of everything.
I highly recommend it as it has no casino so it is very quit and secure in a central location of the strip.

Room Tip: strip view room is amazing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

From the moment we walked in to the car waiting got take us to the airport was amazing. We went there to relax and golf and the Mandarin made that possible with all of there amazing staff and facilities. The mandarin Bar is a must do and if you are looking for a spa this one is AMAZING!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I didn't stay at this hotel but I visited the sky bar with my fiancé on our last night and what a way to end our trip! The sky bar has fantastic views of the strip and the place itself is memorising, You cannot eat a meal at the sky bar but they do serve little bites. The drinks menu there is extensive and they offer a wide range of cocktails and beers. The price isn't overly expensive based on normal Vegas prices, your average cocktail ranges from $16-$19. The atmosphere is so chilled and relaxed, in total contrast to the fast paced Vegas life. I really recommend a trip to the bar at night, it is a must see.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

MO is based out of Hong Kong, have always had an excellent reputation, and this one is no exception. No casino here and it may be a bit too stylish for kids to enjoy but very relaxing.

Unfortunately when we got there the main restaurant was closed for renovation so the dining room was a bit tight on bookings - and nothing realy special either.

Although the designers have gone to great lengths to create the right ambience, with first-class fittigs etc, little things like the pings of the lifts spoil it for me as the detail is what counts in these places.

Always check your bill ( even in McDonalds!) - upon checcking out I saw that they had charged me for an extra night! And I noticed a few other reviewers mentioned billing errors. Of course they will amend it with a smile, but it shouldn't happen.

Recommend it if you want to get away from the frenzy but if you want to experience the real Vegas then try the madness of Caesars etc!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank daiwai
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

The Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas holds the #1 spot for luxury hotels for a reason! Talk about GRAND! This place has to be one of the best places I have stayed! I normally am a fan of the Cosmopolitan or Aria but I will be adding this one to the top of my list for primary choices to stay while in Vegas! Let's talk about how the entry to pull up to the place just speaks "luxurious" while having more than enough professional valet workers as well as bell men to assist you once they open up your car door! The ambiance of the place gives a very special feel to it. There are some areas of the hotel where it's really dim but I’m guessing that it's suppose to give that whole relaxation and calm feeling. The cityscape room was nothing short of amazing! While being the cityscape it offered more than enough high end amenities! The bathroom is like heaven! I love having a TV in the bathroom right in front of the bath tub! Bathrobe was one of the most comfortable as well. I didn't get to try any of the food from TWIST nor room service because let's be honest the prices they want are beyond what they should be, BUT it's the Mandarin so it's expected! I would recommend this hotel to anybody that's looking for something different than the normal LOUD, SMOKE filled casino energy.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BugattiBoi88
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas is on another level. From the moment you walk into the hotel till the moment you leave you feel a sense of calm and peace. Customer service is brought to a whole new high. Every employee is happy to help you and greets you with a smile. Honestly, I have never had an experience quite like I did while staying at this hotel. Kudos to the Oriental, you guys know how to do it right.

Room Tip: Would suggest asking for a room that looks over the strip, not the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple