“Best Hotel in Las Vegas - Luxury, Elegance, Comfort”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #2 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Tokyo, Japan
“Best Hotel in Las Vegas - Luxury, Elegance, Comfort”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Too bad 10 stars can't be awarded to exceptional hotels, because Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas (MOLAS) is truly deserving.

We stayed a long weekend, having booked our reservation directly through the hotel web site. Having just opened, the hotel is offering extraordinary promotions, which include generous hotel spa and dining credits.

MOLAS is an island of relaxation and elegance in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, just minutes from McCarren Airport and is part of the newly opened City Center development.

Arrival is in a private driveway accented by a small bamboo forest. The bell and door staff are very efficient and friendly. Bags and guests are whisked from the street lobby to the 23rd floor sky lobby for check in.

The sky lobby is the focal point of the hotel and is splendidly designed with dark marble and Asian influences. Check in staff are highly trained, pleasant, and perform the check in ritual perfectly.

Hotel rooms are located below the 23rd floor. The room key card uses proximity technology, so no tiny slots, and is needed to operate the elevator and open the room door.

The rooms are pleasantly decorated with light Asian themes and include a large closet, bathing area, and bedroom. The standard room is not as large as some of the big resort hotels, such as Palazzo/Venetian, but fully adequate and is very tastefully appointed.

Bathrooms are fully equipped with a large luxury bath tub, Aromatherapy amenities, His and her sinks, ample towels and a separate shower room.

Our king bed was very comfortable - we could not confirm the linen thread count, but the sheets linen felt soft and silky. Definitely high thread count.

We loved MOLAS for its peaceful elegance and escape from the glitz of the Las Vegas strip. You won't hear any hallway rebel yells or find young men walking around with open bottles of beer. The hotel seemed to welcome curiosity seekers who occasionally wander in from the street, but without the normal flashy Vegas atmosphere outsiders don't hang around very long. MOLAS guests who need to experience a little Vegas flash and low culture have nothing to worry about - its all located a short walk from just outside the hotel entrance.

MOLAS has no casino, but gambling is available at the newly open Aria casino about a 1 minute walk from the hotel entrance.

The MOLAS bar is spectacular, with soft back lights and an incredible view of the Strip. Drinks are prepared to perfection and are Las Vegas sized rather than Asian sized, a nice compromise to the local culture. The bar is a great place to get a taste of MOLAS without staying - we noticed a few guests of the cheapie Monte Carlo, located next to MOLAS, dressed up and enjoying the bar.

Overall, we think MOLAS is by far the best hotel in Las Vegas. Its remarkable this hotel was able to open in the midst of the worst economic conditions in Las Vegas hospitality ever. In any case, MOLAS is certain to become the destination of choice for those demanding luxury, comfort, and elegance in Las Vegas. With only about 300 rooms, the price is certain to go up as demand chases limited supply. Now is a great time to enjoy this hotel at an extraordinary price.

We love MOLAS and will definitely be back.

Note - we also dined in the hotel's upscale restaurant "Twist" which is reviewed separately.

5 Thank yamanote

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 15 March 2010

As a frequent business visitor to Las Vegas I have had the opportunity to stay at all of the finer Las Vegas hotels. There are some fabulous hotels along The Strip. A desire for something new and different prompted a change in favor of the new Mandarin Oriental at City Center. In a word, this hotel is FABULOUS!

Rooms: While not the largest or most ornate rooms in Las Vegas, they do marry luxury and practicality in a previously unattained manner. From the butler locker to the Control 4 entertainment/comfort system the room designer maximized space and convenience. The modern room included a fully functional, nicely sized desk, a typically "over-the-top Vegas" bathroom, a lounge chair, and a pillow top mattress. The light switches were easy to locate and easier to use. The room was comfortable, luxurious, and practical.

Physical Facility: The hotel is part of the massive City Center development between The Bellagio and The Monte Carlo. There is a casino about 1/4 mile away (In Aria). One does not have to walk through a casino and smell cigarette smoke to enter the hotel or the guest rooms. The hotel common areas are beautifully done. The spa is overwhelming in both scope and quality. The guest rooms are protected by an elevator security system which requires an active key in order to stop an elevator on a floor with rooms. This is becoming more common, but not yet standard in Las Vegas. The developers spent alot of money on this hotel and it shows.

Bar/Restaurant: The bar is gorgeous and always had a buzz of activity. The bartenders made it tough to leave for other commitments. The drinks were of good quality and the winelist very well put together. While lacking depth (as is typical in a new establishment) it covered nearly all regions and varietals with at least one option. The glass list was also broad enough to cover most of the world's primary wine regions. The resaurant is beautiful and the food was fabulous. It was full on the Wednesday evening we visited. We enjoyed the tasting menu of six courses and a bottle each of white and red burgundy. It is on the level of the other "best in the world" French restaurants that have almost taken over the top-level dining scene in Las Vegas.

Service: If the Mandarin is to succeed in the hyper-competitive Las Vegas hotel industry it will be because of the unprecedented level of service at this hotel. I travel frequently and generally stay in full service "luxury" hotels. The level of service I observed at this hotel is unmatched by competitors in the United States, including other Mandarin operated hotels. One needs to travel to a top property in Europe, India or Asia to experience the level of top-quality service I observed at this hotel. The friendly, professional, well trained staff is there at every turn. While the service was ready and willing, it did not "hover" and was not smothering. The men and women in management and on the staff at this hotel are to be commended for jobs well done.

The only downside to this fantastic experience is the cost. It is significantly more expensive than its primary competitors. While "value" is always subjective, and I feel that the hotel was a good value for all it gives, other travelers may feel that they are being over-charged. The restaurant and bar are at the TOP level of pricing for Las Vegas. The spa treatment I enjoyed was likewise more expensive than any similar treatment I have received in Las Vegas. Having said that, all of these experiences exceeded the quality of other like-experiences, so, as I said, value will always be a subjective determination.

Bottom line: Las Vegas now has a quiet, professional luxury hotel of un-equaled service for those who enjoy the fine touches and distinctions that make a hotel great vs. nearly great or very good. If that fine line matters to you then you have found a new home in Las Vegas. If these intricacies are of little value or you use the hotel primarily for sleep and little else then you will want to save your money and will do better at other high end properties.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Jeff R
Reviewed 7 March 2010

My husband and I stayed here in March 2010. The stay was flawless. The room was gorgeous and the service impeccable. If we can afford it, this hotel will always be our choice. I recommend the hotel without reservation.

2 Thank easton1
Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I love the Mandarin Oriental hotel chain and a stay at their hotel in Las Vegas cemented my feelings towards them. This hotel is incredible, its brand new, everything is perfect. The hotel as a whole is a beautiful building with the most high-tech rooms I have ever experienced but all that flash would be worthless if it wasn't for the great staff who make your stay just that much more special.

There are many hotel options in Vegas but i am happy i paid a little more than the average for such a great service.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KaspXhotels
Box Elder, South Dakota
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I have to say, I have stayed at a LOT of hotels, but this one takes the cake for quality & service. At the check-in desk on the 23rd floor, you are greeted with a Jasmine tea, with a cold refresh towel and a lovely orchid. You are escorted to your room rather than told how to find it, in fact whenever we asked where something was, we were taken rather than told.

The bed just has to be the most comfortable I have found, along with huge down pillows. The room features are controlled from the TV or the LCD pad by the bed - Curtains, Lights, Temperature etc... Even your alarm clock can be set to open the curtains when it is time to get up.

The bathroom is simply huge and is definitely a feature which makes the stay even better.

I was disappointed at the breakfast we had at the 3rd floor restaurant and would eat somewhere else next time.
The bar on the 23rd floor overlooks the strip and has an amazing array of custom cocktails; somewhat pricey, but the view and the drinks are superb.

I was very pleased at the absence of a casino in the building, although the Monte Carlo is right next door (5 min walk). The interior of the hotel did not have any of that "Vegas" smell I associate with casinos and was a joy to stay at.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to impress their spouse with VIP service or just want a great hotel.
Pricing is on the higher side but an equivalent room in any of the other hotels would likely be similar, however this one was definitely value for money - you get what you pay for and then some.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Jorton
Arizona
Reviewed 5 March 2010

This hotel was a pleasant surprise while traveling with my husband on business. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with professionalism and the utmost warmth. While checking in, we were invited to sample a lovely orchid tea and enjoy moist towlettes to refresh.. reminding me of traveling to luxury game lodges in South Africa. The hotel lobby is impressive and the entire property gives off a calm warmth that is hard to describe. The best way to experience the difference is to step foot in any number of hotel/casino properties on the strip and then return to the Mandarin after a day and night of fun in Vegas. The experience is truly amazing.

Our room was stunning and besides the massive King sized bed with the gorgeous feather pillow topper and feather pillows - the hotel has simply thought of everything. Glass enclosed, large bath and beautiful room views really made the stay worthwhile.

The hotel has thought of every high-tech feature one could want. Set your alarm using the online screen and awake in the morning to the sound of tranquil music, your drapes and sheers opening wide to let in the Nevada sunshine. Seriously, you wake up with a smile and wished you didn't have to leave.

The food in the restaurant on the 3rd floor was absolutely delicious. So fresh and expertly prepared. My husband had the sushi and was very impressed with the freshness of his dish. I had a pulled pork sandwich with Mango BBQ sauce and season slivers of fried onion rings dusted with ancho chile powder that were so delicious!

The only negative we might have for this property was our breakfast in the morning. I ordered the blueberry pancakes and they were quite rubbery. My husband ordered the steel cut oats, but they tasted more like regular oats with little flavor and no crunch as steel cut oats should have. Otherwise, everything was perfect and the hotel staff went out of their way to please you.. no matter what the request.

Will definitely stay there again!

3 Thank Bellsorton
California
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Well done Mandarin Oriental, well done.

This is my first time staying at a Mandarin Oriental property and now I am a doting fan!

For those visiting Las Vegas interested in spending $300 and up for a room, I would implore you to give the Mandarin Oriental a shot. It will be well worth it—the impeccable service should win you over. Considering the hotel has less than 400 rooms/suites (392 to be exact), the hotel can cater more to your needs than that of a mammoth casino hotel. The starting room category size is roughly 500 square feet but I would highly recommend guests to book the Mandarin Premier Room (about 650 square feet).

Useful information about the hotel: I was happy that the hotel allowed us to check-in early and check-out a little past official check-out time; but notwithstanding that, check-in is 3’oclock and check-out is noon. The hotel is centrally located between the Monte Carlo another City Center hotel/casino. The hotel has a Mercedes S-Class Hybrid available on a first-come, first-serve basis to shuttle guests in style (limited-radius) to area hotels/casinos. Valet parking is $30 per night and a twin-sized rollaway is $150 (I am not sure if it’s per stay or per day, although I would assume the latter to be safe). When ordering room service the following taxes/service charges will apply: $5 delivery fee, 18% gratuity and local taxes… 2 orders of rice congee and smoked salmon/bagel was ~$58. On that note, taste wise, I found the food to be average—I was not wowed and it proved to just be a convenient option when you don’t have time to visit other dining establishments in Las Vegas. To access the guest quarters, you will need to go through two sets of elevators (for security purposes) and need your room key to access guest floors. The pool is scheduled in open in March 2010 and there is a fully-equipped gym open during regular business hours. There is an on-site spa/salon and from what I hear, MO properties are renowned for their spas so I imagine being a new property the spa is on par with that of its sister properties around the world-- I did not try the spa so I can't comment).

The hotel’s website offers detailed information about the room /suite categories so I won’t bore you with the details. I will share what I found interesting about the Mandarin Premier Room that I booked. There is a valet closet in the hotel—basically a small closet to discretely hide shoes that you want shined (complimentary), find your morning newspaper, clothes returned that you had cleaned/pressed, and anything else you require from the hotel so it’s not hanging outside your door (convenient if you need something from housekeeping but do not want to immediately answer the door). The bathroom was the best feature of the room. Our bathroom was expansive and it seemed unnecessarily big. I liked how the toilet was separated from the shower/tub (separate) so that one person could use the toilet and the other could still shower without intruding on each other’s space. This feature is accomplished through the use of a series of locking doors. The closet was big too, enough to hold several days worth of clothes for two people. Bathroom amenities were Aromatherapy Associates and was designed with consultation with the hotel. There was a jewelry box that contained the useful toiletries. The selection of TV channels is varied and plentiful. Never have I came across a hotel with so many channels (channels in French, Russian, Chinese…and plenty of high-quality cable channels from US broadcasting stations). On a last note, everything is automated in the hotel (including the expensive mini-bar). There is a PDA that can control the entire function of the room/suite including lights, curtains, and A/C. Traditional guests can rest assured that there are still “manual” controls to operate those functions as well.

To sum up the level of personalized service in one word: WOW. Being a first-time guest of the hotel and the brand in general, I was completely wowed by the superlative level of service provide to me and my travelling companions. I wanted to express kudos to both the Front Desk and Concierges at the hotel. They did a wonderful job anticipating our needs and exceeded our wildest expectations about seeing me through a vulnerable time. The ever-resourceful Concierge team did a great job pulling through last-minute requests for dining arrangements. FYI: some of the Concierges are members of Les Clef d’Or—which basically means that they are the best of the best in the industry and are at your full disposal when staying at the hotel. They were very personable and had excellent dining recommendations.

If I had to be nit-picky, I would say there were several service deficiencies that I encountered. Housekeeping did not turn down my room even though I had asked for turndown to be performed during a set time period. Additionally, during peak times, calls were intermittently given the busy signal (i.e. to housekeeping) and were either routinely transferred to other departments or not answered (i.e. a call to Front Desk – not answered or a call to the Concierge, rolled to the Front Desk or Hotel Operator). There were glitches with the television intermittently freezing up and the A/C automatically resetting to a default temperature. Other than that, which I am sure the hotel will improve upon after settling into the locale that is Las Vegas, I would whole-heartedly recommend the hotel to everyone and anyone looking for a hotel to cater to their needs while enjoying all that Las Vegas has to offer.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends