“Unreal”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed for a week at this hotel and as I have already stated it was unreal. Everything about it was sheer luxury. The Lobby of this hotel is on the 23rd floor with fantastic views of the strip. Check in was complete hazzle free and the girl was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a city view hotel with 2 doubles and we had no complaints whatsoever. Pool staff were excellent and we were treated regualary to frozen fruit etc by the pool. We were in the US for three weeks and our stay in the mandarin was by far the highlight of our trip. We have been to Vegas a few times before and stayed in a few of the other top hotels but none compared to the mandarin. Def would go back and would highly recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank GEW5
Write a ReviewReviews (6,280)

Reviewed 29 July 2010

I just came back from this wonderful property. There are so many positive things to say about my stay so the review may be a bit long.

First, the online reservation system is very easy and intuitive. I love the various Special Requests I can make when I make reservations. I choose Quiet Room, Away from Elevator, Non-Smoking Room and Early Check-In Requested (I check in around 1:30 PM, but more on that later). I can even give them my arrival flight # and they will arrange a Mercedes Benz Sedan to pick me up! But as many reviewers mentioned, this service is definitely based on availability. I receive a confirmation e-mail after I finish the reservation and a few days before my stay I receive another e-mail to welcome me to their hotel. It is very heart warming.

On the day of visit, thanks to all the reviewers here, I find the entrance with no problem. It is indeed very subdued and I like its quietness/calm ambiance. I walk in, tell the attendant that I am here to check in, and he walks me (not just point to me) to the elevator where it will go straight to 23rd floor. To my surprise, there is a very comfortable bench inside every elevator! The lobby attendant greets me right away, and after confirming with my reservation I am being greeted by my last name during the check-in process. The process is quick and straightforward. She re-confirms my special requests with me and she asks me for my daily newspaper selection, then she explains the private and non-intrusive personal walk-in cabinet where they deliver newspapers, toiletries and so on. Because I use my debit card when booking the hotel, she explains the held fund to me clearly and I really appreciate her attentive service. Then she walks me to another elevator area where hotel guests use and she shows me how to use my room card to operate the elevator.

My room is on the 12th floor facing Planet Hollywood. It is clean and quiet, the bed is soft and fluffy, the Technology Kit is definitely a plus, the soaking bath tub is so big, and it provides all the amenities I can think of (and they are inside a beautiful chest!) The touch screen which controls the blinds, lightings, TV and music are just fabulous. This is the only hotel that will give me a morning call by playing "sunrise" music on TV, opening the blinds automatically, and turning on all the lights (the settings can be adjusted of course.) I think I will let other reviewers' photos to speak for itself. A few more things that not many people mentioned:

1) The HDTV in the restroom is built inside the mirror (unlike other hotels which are "sticking out" and in SD);
2) The big HDTV in the room is equipped with a simulated surround sound system with a subwoofer; and
3) Having the TV home screen shows the deadbolt is locked and both inside plus outside temperatures are very convenient.

After a relaxing short rest, I head to the tea lounge on the 23rd floor. I strongly recommend making reservation in advance as the tables are full during my visit. Once again, the staff greets me by my last name and then leads me to my reserved seat. She patiently explains everything on the menu clearly and promptly, then she gives me some time to decide. I order engligh tea set (need formal name) and it is such a wonderful experience. Great tea, tasty sweets and yummy sandwiches (plus jams!) and marvelous views. Service is still very attentive but not intrusive. She asks me from time to time if the tea is hot enough and do I want to try more sandwiches.

I go back to my room shortly after finishing my afternoon tea, and to my pleasant surprise I notice a personal and handwritten thank you card from the hotel manager placing under the room TV. Talk about wonderful service!

I head to the pool in the evening as it closes at 7 PM. Once I walk in the staff immediately greets me and setup an empty lounge chair for me with a towel and a bottle of water. After knowing my name, all staffs in the pool greet me with my last name during my stay. There are two big pools and several smaller spa pools with the timer. I spend a good two hour there swimming, relaxing and reading magazines. I also order a freshly made mango and strawberry smoothie to help me keep cool under the 110F weather in Las Vegas.

Before I head to Twist for dinner (dinner experience will be under a separate review), I receive a message from the front desk notifying me to re-arrange a turndown service. I guess it is because I place the "Privacy Please" sign outside my room for an extended periods of time. However I really appreciate their message as this is the first hotel I stay that will even contact me about this. Almost all hotels I stay will just leave things as is until I call them to re-arrange the turndown service. This attention to detail service totally wins me over!

I eat my breakfast at MOZen (once again, the experience will be under a separate review) and it is again a unforgettable experience. Speaking of service above and beyond, before I leave the restaurant the server even asks me if I want a freshly brewed coffee to go.

By the way, how can I forget Amore Patisserie? It is a gorgeous patisserie on the strip and I stop by one afternoon for their fabulous galeto. Then I decide to try its cappucino smoothie and walnut cake. Once again, always smiling and helpful staff, attentive service and love to explain everything clearly to me. It is such a perfect place for me to enjoy some quiet time on a busy street. I stay there for an hour while writing postcards to my friends.

The checkout process is also quick and easy. The attendent asks me if I have a good time. Well, not only do I have a wonderful time, I don't even want to leave and I can't wait to come back next time. This property definitely deserves 5 stars and it indeeds is a marvelous retreat, an oasis in the desert.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank Mokona
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Please note - we didn't stay at the MO (this time - but will on a return visit!) but toured the hotel. It is truely a sanctuary in the insanity of the Strip. A delight to all the senses, the view from the lobby alone is a sight to behold! If you are looking for a calm experience just steps from the Strip - this is it! As we departed the hotel we were offered the use of a car and driver, although we weren't guests - and were taken, with refreshing bottles of cold water, to our next destination ---- this sealed the deal for us and we will stay at the MO on our next trip to Vegas. Thank you.

1  Thank Mark107
Reviewed 22 July 2010

My Wife and I travelled to Vegas to celebrate our 12th Wedding Anniversary with a 10 night stay at the MO. I was last in there in 1984 and my wife had never visited, effectively this was our first visit to Vegas.

After 24 hours travelling we were pretty tired but excited to finally arrive at the hotel. You are met on the ground floor and then taken to the Sky Lobby on the 23rd floor for efficient check in, we then went to our room, a Mandarin Executive which enjoys great views of the Strip. As it was our anniversary the hotel had kindly left a bottle of French Champagne in the room for us which was most appreciated.

The room was beautifully appointed, lovely furnishings, subtle artwork, great bathroom and the air conditioning was working well given it was 42 Degrees Celsius! The room was very technologically advanced, curtains, lights, TV, air conditioning, privacy all driven by bedside control panel. Finally, the bed was incredibly comfortable, could have slept all day!!

Before we arrived the concierge had arranged several restaurant bookings for us which were all terrific, they were so eager to help and nothing seemed too much trouble when we had extra requests or changes we needed to make.

We spent several days by the pool. After seeing some of the "mega pools" at the bigger casino hotels we were very happy with the pool deck at the MO. Although it was modest in size there were always plenty of sunbeds available and it was never crowded. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and there was a constant stream of complimentary snacks such as ice cream, popsicles and frozen fresh fruit offered during the day. Food and Beverage was good quality, a little pricey and the portions were huge, but we were happy with the offering.

Although this is not a casino hotel you really do have all the action just outside the front door so you can easily get to Aria, MGM Grand, New York New York, Monte Carlo, Bellagio, Planet Hollywood etc etc. These are all a short walk or tram ride away and most of the other big hotels are not much further away. We really enjoyed being able to return to our sanctuary at the MO after a busy day or night emerged in the madness of Vegas.

Probably the only small gripe was the lack of free wi-fi internet, these days I think that is almost the standard, MO charge $US 60- per 5 days.

We have stayed at plenty of 5 star properties and this is now firmly at or near the top of our list of favorites.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chililover
Reviewed 15 July 2010

The Mandarin Oriental was a wonderful hotel to stay in if you need to get away from the casinos and Vegas action for a little tranquility. The rooms were beautiful. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed. I think my expectations of a 5 star hotel were a little disappointed in certain areas. On one of our evenings the bathtub had not been cleaned thoroughly from the night before's use (we used it, not another guest). Also, we were not given clean glasses for water in our room after the first night. Outside of these two issues, the staff was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010
3  Thank MrsCash
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I have just returned home having stayed 6 nights at the Oriental. It was as good an experience I have had at any hotel in the World. What makes this hotel so good is the level and quality of staff service. In particular I want to say thank you to the pool staff who looked after us each day. Yes, it can be expensive for food and drink but hey come on you pay for what you get! When back in Vegas I wont think twice about staying at the Oriental again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Johnny1066
Reviewed 9 July 2010

After a hectic & grueling week at work the week prior, I decided that my wife and I would take advantage of the long weekend and make a trek to Las Vegas from the Bay Area, CA.

With it being a last minute decision, I knew that I would have to be creative in booking our hotel accommodations, shows, meals, etc. After several websites, both third-party & hotel websites, I found a tremendous deal on travelocity.com for the MO for $175 a night. In my opinion, it was worth the few extra $$$ rather than Priceline a 5 star hotel and most likely receive the Trump International...especially after reading all the reviews.

Needless to say, the MO was an exquisite oasis on the strip...from the moment we pulled up to check-in, to our 3:00 a.m. check-out, we were treated like royalty. My wife and I were teasing that our taste buds don't match our income, and after such a tremendous stay, I am sold on the Mandarin properties!

I'm not sure what the big deal is w/ the other posters regarding switching elevators and such...it literally took an additional 30 seconds!!! Our room was a Cityscape room w/ a king bed. The bathroom is magnificent as my wife fell in love w/ the bath tub, his & her sinks, in-wall TV, hair straightener...I could go on and on...

I particularly loved the bed. Absolutely fantastic, I don't know how else to describe it. The room itself was plenty spacious for my wife and I. I did utilize the provided cords as I left my iPod charger at home, but no worries, as the MO had that covered.

I know that there wasn't any real rhyme or rhythm to this review, but I can't help but to speak in the highest regard of the Mandarin Oriental.

You have a fan for life!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple