“Tranquil yet Costly, Best Hotel Staff on the Strip”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Sammamish, Washington
“Tranquil yet Costly, Best Hotel Staff on the Strip”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I really liked this hotel, but I'll likely not stay again since it lacked in a lot of the amenities of other hotels that turns out i missed more than i thought i would. Things i missed were self parking at the hotel, snack/news stand, buffet and other minor things to do within the property that i needed to go elsewhere to find. Of course the lack of some of these things, like gambling, keeps the property tranquil and cleaner which are a great plus and I would highly recommend this hotel if those are important to you.

The hotel staff were outstanding, the best i've experienced in any hotel in Las Vegas (i've stayed at 8 hotels there over the years including Bellagio, Mandalay Bay, Venetian and more). The staff call you by your name and were all friendly and helpful and informative. Kudos to MO for their fine staff.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andy_Sammamish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I suppose I should start by admitting that I am just not into Vegas. I am not dazzled by a town that specifically caters to impulsive behaviors in things that should not be done on impulse- namely gambling, high-end shopping, and marriages. Many conferences over the years have placed me in Vegas within the confines of smoke-filled, crowded casino hotels. After my conference in July placed me at the Mandarin Oriental, I must confess that I now want to return to Vegas as often as possible.

The Mandarin Oriental is unlike any other hotel on the strip in so many wonderful ways. From the moment you are greeted by the attentive doorman and step into the inviting elevator complete with soothing music and comfy bench, you know your stay is going to be relaxing and memorable.

The spacious lobby is on the 23rd floor and features the check-in desk, a tea lounge, and a cocktail lounge. The Asian décor and breath-taking views were stunning. The check-in process was a breeze with the skillful staff easily deciphering the details of my reservation- half covered by the conference I was attending with additional days covered by myself with my sister joining me.

You are given a key card which you need to activate the second set of elevators which take you to your room. This was actually a great security measure for keeping unwanted traffic out of the guest areas. There are plenty of elevators and I never had to wait to catch one.
I stayed in a Mandarin Room (1833) overlooking Planet Hollywood and the strip. When you first enter your room, your senses are delighted as the window shades automatically begin to raise up and the lights gradually glow on. Soft music warms your ears as your eyes feast on the beauty of this magnificent room. Windows cover every outer wall and wrap around to your bathroom. The bathtub is huge and inviting- resembling a work of art perched inside the glass walls. A shade can be lowered for privacy while you are soaking. There is a canister of scented bath salts for your indulgence. There is also an overhead rainforest shower as well as two hand held sprayers. The vanity area has double sinks with lots of essentials. I appreciated the full size hair dryer with all of the attachments.

My sister and I enjoyed room service for breakfast every day. The home-made berry yogurts, the sinfully delicious pastries and waffles, and the perfectly crispy bacon always arrived quickly and with a smile. The room service table has a heated compartment that ensures that your hot entrees arrive hot. Best of all, the coffee was always piping hot and plentiful.

We enjoyed dinner one evening at MOzen restaurant. Their Indian cuisine is not to be missed. The wait staff is helpful and very knowledgeable about all menu items and specialty drinks. We never did get a chance to try the other restaurant, Twist.

Of course, we had to check out the spa, and I am so glad that we did. The hammam was such a lavish delight and I highly recommend it. We explore all of the amenities of the spa and were thoroughly pampered and relaxed when we left. The staff at the spa are the best.
The pool area is very nice and quiet. The staff makes certain that you have everything you need. The pool does close at sunset, so don’t wait too late to go enjoy it.

I tried to think of any negatives, and they are so few and minor. My room did not have many drawers for unpacking my clothes. I also would have like a full length mirror. The vanity mirror was about ¾ tall and I couldn’t see how my shoes looked with my outfit. And coming from the east coast, I was ready for coffee very early in the morning. I would have appreciated a coffee pot in the room or in the main lobby for an easy caffeine fix prior to breakfast. Since the positives of this hotel are so numerous, it seems absurd to even mention these slight inconveniences.

I suppose it comes down to what you are looking for when you go to Vegas. If you want to be right in the middle of the noise and action, then this is not the place for you. If you desire an oasis of tranquility to retreat to after a long day of visiting the sensory overloaded strip, then there is no better place.

This is by far the most elaborate and visually stunning room that I have ever stayed in. The amount of attention put into every detail of this hotel accompanied by a very friendly and polished staff made it a unique retreat from the Vegas strip. How nice to have Vegas at your fingertips and tranquility just past your door.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank n2exploring
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed for a week at this hotel and as I have already stated it was unreal. Everything about it was sheer luxury. The Lobby of this hotel is on the 23rd floor with fantastic views of the strip. Check in was complete hazzle free and the girl was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a city view hotel with 2 doubles and we had no complaints whatsoever. Pool staff were excellent and we were treated regualary to frozen fruit etc by the pool. We were in the US for three weeks and our stay in the mandarin was by far the highlight of our trip. We have been to Vegas a few times before and stayed in a few of the other top hotels but none compared to the mandarin. Def would go back and would highly recommend it to anyone

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank GEW5
San Jose
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I just came back from this wonderful property. There are so many positive things to say about my stay so the review may be a bit long.

First, the online reservation system is very easy and intuitive. I love the various Special Requests I can make when I make reservations. I choose Quiet Room, Away from Elevator, Non-Smoking Room and Early Check-In Requested (I check in around 1:30 PM, but more on that later). I can even give them my arrival flight # and they will arrange a Mercedes Benz Sedan to pick me up! But as many reviewers mentioned, this service is definitely based on availability. I receive a confirmation e-mail after I finish the reservation and a few days before my stay I receive another e-mail to welcome me to their hotel. It is very heart warming.

On the day of visit, thanks to all the reviewers here, I find the entrance with no problem. It is indeed very subdued and I like its quietness/calm ambiance. I walk in, tell the attendant that I am here to check in, and he walks me (not just point to me) to the elevator where it will go straight to 23rd floor. To my surprise, there is a very comfortable bench inside every elevator! The lobby attendant greets me right away, and after confirming with my reservation I am being greeted by my last name during the check-in process. The process is quick and straightforward. She re-confirms my special requests with me and she asks me for my daily newspaper selection, then she explains the private and non-intrusive personal walk-in cabinet where they deliver newspapers, toiletries and so on. Because I use my debit card when booking the hotel, she explains the held fund to me clearly and I really appreciate her attentive service. Then she walks me to another elevator area where hotel guests use and she shows me how to use my room card to operate the elevator.

My room is on the 12th floor facing Planet Hollywood. It is clean and quiet, the bed is soft and fluffy, the Technology Kit is definitely a plus, the soaking bath tub is so big, and it provides all the amenities I can think of (and they are inside a beautiful chest!) The touch screen which controls the blinds, lightings, TV and music are just fabulous. This is the only hotel that will give me a morning call by playing "sunrise" music on TV, opening the blinds automatically, and turning on all the lights (the settings can be adjusted of course.) I think I will let other reviewers' photos to speak for itself. A few more things that not many people mentioned:

1) The HDTV in the restroom is built inside the mirror (unlike other hotels which are "sticking out" and in SD);
2) The big HDTV in the room is equipped with a simulated surround sound system with a subwoofer; and
3) Having the TV home screen shows the deadbolt is locked and both inside plus outside temperatures are very convenient.

After a relaxing short rest, I head to the tea lounge on the 23rd floor. I strongly recommend making reservation in advance as the tables are full during my visit. Once again, the staff greets me by my last name and then leads me to my reserved seat. She patiently explains everything on the menu clearly and promptly, then she gives me some time to decide. I order engligh tea set (need formal name) and it is such a wonderful experience. Great tea, tasty sweets and yummy sandwiches (plus jams!) and marvelous views. Service is still very attentive but not intrusive. She asks me from time to time if the tea is hot enough and do I want to try more sandwiches.

I go back to my room shortly after finishing my afternoon tea, and to my pleasant surprise I notice a personal and handwritten thank you card from the hotel manager placing under the room TV. Talk about wonderful service!

I head to the pool in the evening as it closes at 7 PM. Once I walk in the staff immediately greets me and setup an empty lounge chair for me with a towel and a bottle of water. After knowing my name, all staffs in the pool greet me with my last name during my stay. There are two big pools and several smaller spa pools with the timer. I spend a good two hour there swimming, relaxing and reading magazines. I also order a freshly made mango and strawberry smoothie to help me keep cool under the 110F weather in Las Vegas.

Before I head to Twist for dinner (dinner experience will be under a separate review), I receive a message from the front desk notifying me to re-arrange a turndown service. I guess it is because I place the "Privacy Please" sign outside my room for an extended periods of time. However I really appreciate their message as this is the first hotel I stay that will even contact me about this. Almost all hotels I stay will just leave things as is until I call them to re-arrange the turndown service. This attention to detail service totally wins me over!

I eat my breakfast at MOZen (once again, the experience will be under a separate review) and it is again a unforgettable experience. Speaking of service above and beyond, before I leave the restaurant the server even asks me if I want a freshly brewed coffee to go.

By the way, how can I forget Amore Patisserie? It is a gorgeous patisserie on the strip and I stop by one afternoon for their fabulous galeto. Then I decide to try its cappucino smoothie and walnut cake. Once again, always smiling and helpful staff, attentive service and love to explain everything clearly to me. It is such a perfect place for me to enjoy some quiet time on a busy street. I stay there for an hour while writing postcards to my friends.

The checkout process is also quick and easy. The attendent asks me if I have a good time. Well, not only do I have a wonderful time, I don't even want to leave and I can't wait to come back next time. This property definitely deserves 5 stars and it indeeds is a marvelous retreat, an oasis in the desert.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank Mokona
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Please note - we didn't stay at the MO (this time - but will on a return visit!) but toured the hotel. It is truely a sanctuary in the insanity of the Strip. A delight to all the senses, the view from the lobby alone is a sight to behold! If you are looking for a calm experience just steps from the Strip - this is it! As we departed the hotel we were offered the use of a car and driver, although we weren't guests - and were taken, with refreshing bottles of cold water, to our next destination ---- this sealed the deal for us and we will stay at the MO on our next trip to Vegas. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Mark107
Melbourne
Reviewed 22 July 2010

My Wife and I travelled to Vegas to celebrate our 12th Wedding Anniversary with a 10 night stay at the MO. I was last in there in 1984 and my wife had never visited, effectively this was our first visit to Vegas.

After 24 hours travelling we were pretty tired but excited to finally arrive at the hotel. You are met on the ground floor and then taken to the Sky Lobby on the 23rd floor for efficient check in, we then went to our room, a Mandarin Executive which enjoys great views of the Strip. As it was our anniversary the hotel had kindly left a bottle of French Champagne in the room for us which was most appreciated.

The room was beautifully appointed, lovely furnishings, subtle artwork, great bathroom and the air conditioning was working well given it was 42 Degrees Celsius! The room was very technologically advanced, curtains, lights, TV, air conditioning, privacy all driven by bedside control panel. Finally, the bed was incredibly comfortable, could have slept all day!!

Before we arrived the concierge had arranged several restaurant bookings for us which were all terrific, they were so eager to help and nothing seemed too much trouble when we had extra requests or changes we needed to make.

We spent several days by the pool. After seeing some of the "mega pools" at the bigger casino hotels we were very happy with the pool deck at the MO. Although it was modest in size there were always plenty of sunbeds available and it was never crowded. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and there was a constant stream of complimentary snacks such as ice cream, popsicles and frozen fresh fruit offered during the day. Food and Beverage was good quality, a little pricey and the portions were huge, but we were happy with the offering.

Although this is not a casino hotel you really do have all the action just outside the front door so you can easily get to Aria, MGM Grand, New York New York, Monte Carlo, Bellagio, Planet Hollywood etc etc. These are all a short walk or tram ride away and most of the other big hotels are not much further away. We really enjoyed being able to return to our sanctuary at the MO after a busy day or night emerged in the madness of Vegas.

Probably the only small gripe was the lack of free wi-fi internet, these days I think that is almost the standard, MO charge $US 60- per 5 days.

We have stayed at plenty of 5 star properties and this is now firmly at or near the top of our list of favorites.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chililover
Rome, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2010

The Mandarin Oriental was a wonderful hotel to stay in if you need to get away from the casinos and Vegas action for a little tranquility. The rooms were beautiful. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed. I think my expectations of a 5 star hotel were a little disappointed in certain areas. On one of our evenings the bathtub had not been cleaned thoroughly from the night before's use (we used it, not another guest). Also, we were not given clean glasses for water in our room after the first night. Outside of these two issues, the staff was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2010