“Quiet smoke free hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas
Ranked #3 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 December 2010

We were undecided btw the Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental, but ultimately chose the MO because it was newer, had a better location, and the good reviews. We were not disappointed. The hotel checked us in early even though we arrived at 9am. We checked out the pool area (too bad it was freezing!), gym (nice new equipment) and MOZen (quiet breakfast place with attentive staff). In the afternoon, the hotel delivers surprise popcorn for kids, which was a real treat. The concierge helped us get good seats for Ka at the MGM, which was just a short walk away (better than when we called the box office directly). We had gone over to the Half Price Ticket Booth across the road from the hotel but they did not have half price tickets for kids unlike if we bought directly from the Ka box office/hotel concierge. The next day, we took the complimentary hotel car to the Wynn. Daniel, our chauffeur, was fantastic - very professional and an excellent driver. The doorman at the MO also greeted us by name, which was impressive. We took the free monorail from the Aria (walking distance from the MO) to the Bellagio. Overall, we were very pleased by the location of the MO. It was a bit troublesome having to switch elevator banks every time we needed to get back to our room but otherwise, it was so nice to go back to a quiet hotel, without the throngs at the casinos or the smoke. We relaxed with drinks at the lounge before flying out.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank SFfam

Reviewed 5 December 2010

My partner and I had planned our wedding in Las Vegas and we wanted to stay at a luxury hotel for a few nights before heading off to Maui for our honeymoon. After reading loads of reviews of hotels we went for the Mandarin Oriental.

We were completely blown away by the opulence of this hotel. From the moment you arrive at the ground floor entrance and use the lifts to get to the sky lobby you are taken aback. At first I must admit that I felt a little uncomfortable (like a bit of a fraud - mixing with such wealth!!) but the staff made us completely welcome and I soon settled into the Mandarin Oriental lifestyle!!

We had a normal room (I think it was called a Cityscape??) which was stunning. Being a typical male gadget freak I loved the TV room control - especially controling the curtains and lights. The bed was the most luxurious and comfortable we have ever stayed in. The bathroom was again ... luxurious (I'm going to have to think of some more superlatives) - marble and chrome.

We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food and we didn't have time to explore the pool and spa facilities, but I am sure they would be of the same high standard. On the morning of our wedding we ordered breakfast from room service. It seemed a little on the expensive side (I think it was 50 dollars ish?) that is until it came!!! Fresh juice, coffee, pastries, fruit, cooked breakfast, toast - everything you could possibly want for a breakfast and all served on a very grand table sitting infront of the huge window looking out over Las Vegas!

Looking back, our only regret is that we only stayed two nights and wished we had stayed longer in Las Vegas. I'm not an expert in hotel luxury but I really could not think of anything that was either dissapointing or could have been done in a better way. If you are looking for complete opulence, fantastic service in a tranquil setting this has to be the hotel to go for in Las Vegas!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JamesW44
Reviewed 2 December 2010

My wife and I spent our 5th anniversary at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Las Vegas. We were very pleased with the hotel. The service was always prompt and professional. The room was exceptional (more later) and the peace and quiet demeanor of the hotel was a welcomed surprise and not what I expected. I had anticipated a "flashy" hotel that would rival the glitz and glamor of other hotels on the strip. Instead, the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas was quiet, sophisticated, and "low key". We had a "pool view" room on the 14th floor. The room was amazing. It was very comfortable with current decor. I was most intrigued by the ability to control almost everything with the remote thru the TV (room temperature, lighting, music and even room service). This room had all of the subtle "techie" trimmings that take advantage of our addiction to the electronic/digital world. Your geek husband will love this room. Yet it was plush and very comfortable. The staff were very prompt and professional without being intrusive. The main entrance/elevator only takes you to the main desk and access to the elevators for the upper floors requires a key card. A nice security feature. This was my first trip to Las Vegas and the Mandarin Oriental rivals many of the finer hotels that I have used all over the world. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank DeepDoc
Reviewed 28 November 2010

The workmanship and decor are what you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental property. Nearly a Zen experience except for the over techno lighting, heating, privacy, etc. The one big mistake the staff makes is sending your bags to the room where they promptly arrive and the bellman leaves. A room this complicated needs at least a 5 minute explanation how everything works. You can control drapes, lighting heating with Cat 5 switches or using your TV remote(but you have to turn on the TV). I wish there was at least one subtle lcd clock in the room. We must have pressed the 'privacy" button by mistake so the room was not made up the next day. You can't just get away with hanging the card on the door. Several calls to the front desk did bring prompt service for the make up and a bath plug that didn't work. The Twist Restaurant was outstanding and lobby bar view was excellent. Kind of a mixed bag!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rhmuir
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights after 6 nights in the Four Seasons in San Francisco, 3 nights at Four Seasons Vegas, and 3 nights in Vdara.

It's hard to grade this hotel, there's a lot of it to like, but then the little things really drag it down in my eyes.

I liked the check in process, by the time you're at the lobby everything is ready for you to sign, but then by the time my bag got to my room, 20 minutes, it was too late to get out in the sun for an hour.

The room is generally excellent, good bed, lovely bathroom and shower, vanity area for clothes, nice oriental decor and the remote controlled two layer blinds made sleep superb.

But the problems started with the tv not working properly, very poor reception on ESPN, very crackly and breaking up, then the navigation screen froze, and the tv went a bit loopy.

They sent someone to reset it, but it went wrong again 10 minutes later, so I asked to move rooms. No problem there, but 10 minutes later its breaking up again. So I head down to reception on my way out, and they tell me that the Cox network they use is having issues, not them. The girl was cold as ice and sounded like I was stupid for bringing it up and complaining. So I had a repair man and moved room for no reason, very relaxing.

In the second room as I was coming out of the shower, I noticed that the bath had a great many dirty black smears all along the base, as if it had scraped against black rubber while being installed, destroying the aesthetic.

The control panel for the lighting and shades froze one night, so I had to get up and use the wall controls, and for some reason when you turn all lights off it turns the tv off too, very annoying.

I didn't like having to phone room service to bring me ice, as its locked away in the housekeeping room, though they can put it in a service hatch in the vanity area so you dont have to deal with people, but on the third night after they'd delivered the ice I discovered they hadn't replaced the whisky tumbler, so had to phone again, and instead of leaving it in the hatch they rang the doorbell, and the guy who brought it then stood there expectantly as if I should tip him for them not servicing the room properly.

The mini bar is insanely expensive, nearly double the cost of a Four Seasons minibar, 9$ for a diet coke, ludicrous.

The room service food is fabulous, the best I've had, I tried three different meals and they were all excellent, and as with most hotels these days, the service is included, however only once was that mentioned by the deliverer, unlike the Four Seasons who made a great point of pointing it out, and the area for gratuity is left open, which is a real con job.

On one day the bin wasn't emptied, not good enough for a hotel thats trying to be 5 diamond in every way.

The pool area was closed, you could still use it but there was no service, and nobody came to clear away the towels that had been used, so I went back and used the Four Seasons pool. I was driven down there in the hotels town car, which was very nice, and the drivers were great, much rather tip them than pay for a cab.

Had some drinks in the bar at the top, and the cocktails and music were good, but it was really dead, there's really not much point to going there if you're not at the hotel grabbing a nightcap, and the food was ridiculous, ordered a prosciutto appetizer and it had one slice on a big piece of bread, the waitress did get me some more when I complained.

I generally found the staff attentive, but in a rather forced fashion. I felt like I was being forced to fit in with Mandarin Oriental way, whereas the Four Seasons adapts itself to make you feel comfortable.

I'll be sticking with the Four Seaons till the MO irons out the teething troubles it's been having, but after nearly a year of operation it should be beyond that by now.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank DJDB
Reviewed 22 November 2010

If you can get a bargain rate at this hotel and want someplace quiet on the Strip, book it. But at its normal rates (well over $250) there are other less expensive hotels just as nice.

This hotel is part of an international chain, but this property isn't nearly as elegant as its Asian locations. At its normal price point, this hotel has lots of new competitors with equal or better facilities. Also, buying a drink or a meal at the Oriental is definitely out of the question. We ordered two drinks poolside and the bill came to $45 without tip. The pool, by the way, is open only from 9am to 5pm, which is silly in Vegas. Moreover, all poolside drink and snack service stops at 4pm. What are they thinking?

The best thing about the Oriental is the service, The staff is first rate.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gurumanjohn
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Another fantastic Mandarin property which trains the entire staff to understand the meaning of "guest first" customer service! Be warned!...City Center can be a bit tricky to navigate, especially on day 1. Once we figured out the quickest routes, getting around wasn't such an annoyance. The rooms are very comfortable, with amazing Strip Views. The beds are absolutely the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in! I look forward to coming back the Mandarin next year!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends