“Zen Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Park City, Utah
“Zen Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

Stayed at the MOLV for 4 nights with my husband before moving on to my next 3 nights at The Palazzo where other family members were staying. If you are looking for a quiet, intimate, sedate, zen like atmosphere than the MOLV is the one for you. It was almost kind of "boring", however my move to the other property made me appreciate the reserved refinement of the MOLV. It almost felt like we were staying in a private hotel residence. We never saw housekeeping in the hallways and remnants of room service debris from the night before. If I can share one or two gripes, it would be the missing "toiletries" that were not stocked (which one call took care of) and having to take two different elevators to get to your room! As mentioned, it is a non-gaming property, however the Aria is just steps away and guests can park there for free ( MOLV charges $30.00 a day for valet parking). It was a very comfortable and relaxing stay and very different from the Four Seasons, which is another property I enjoy staying in.

1 Thank MsTravelHag

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,194)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

I really liked the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas. To be honest, the rates they offered (USD215 for 2 nights + 1 complimentary night = USD430 for 3 nights) was the least expensive of the hotels on our wish list.

For those of us who are used to the "treat you like king" service in Asia, it's sometimes a big culture shock when you stay at the top hotels in the US. For example, in Asia, you get complimentary slippers, complimentary bath/shower amenities, complimentary tea/coffee galore in your room. If you need more amenities you will get more. In Asia you never have to worry about tipping for every little request. It's a different story in the US, you tip, you tip, you tip. That's why we were prepared to "tip" for every request we had.

The Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas exceeded our expectations. Everytime we had a request, ie., an extra box of tissues, more amenities, etc. they brought it to our room within 5 minutes. Each time we were greeted with a "is there anything else we can do for you?" Coming from Asia and having stayed at 5 other Mandarin Oriental hotels in the world including Hong Kong, Bangkok, Macau, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, this was the top one on my list.

I liked how the hotel was located on the Strip and it didn't have a casino. It is quieter but it made a difference because we didn't have to wait in line for check in, check out or a taxi. The touch screen remote control was easy to operate and I liked how the light switches had a small indicator light so you could find the switch when the lights were out.

I liked how they gave complimentary slippers (rare in the US).

I also liked how it was located in the City Center and you could walk to the Miracle Miles shops, the Bellagio, Caesar's Palace, etc. We even walked across the street to Smith & Wollensky's for lunch one day.

The spa was excellent, as was Twist.

I would definitely return to the MO LV.

1 Thank Woodai
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2010

I have travelled to Las Vegas 3 times, from Australia. I have previously stayed in the Monte Carlo, and the Venetian. I recently stayed for 4 nights at the Mandarin Oriental - a relatively new property.

From walking through the door, to checking out, the entire experience was amazing. The staff are very friendly, and willing to help in any way they can. Most importantly, they seem to want to do so, and didn't seem like they were doing so purely because it was their job.

We stayed in a Strip View suite. The room was large, and the floor plan is very clever. The living area has an "L" shaped couch, huge LCD TV (with DVD/CD player, and many, many TV channels), a desk and large bar. The TV has a connectivity panel, so that one can charge iPods etc, and view video/photos and more through the TV. The view was great, and we could see Mandalay bay from one side, and Paris/PH the other.

The bedroom has a huge kind sized bed, which was very comfortable. There is also another TV in the bedroom, equal in size to that in the lounge. There is a small touch screen control on one side table for the blinds (both sheer and blackout), temperature, wake up alarm settings (awesome!), and lights. The bedroom is large, and decor under-stated but amazing.

The bathroom is also large. The soaking tub could fit 4 people (if you are so inclined - hey, it's Vegas!), and the shower more. There are 2 sinks, a large mirror, and a TV behind the mirror. The amenities are great. There was even a hair straightener.

There is also a small corridor between the entry hall/lounge area and the bathroom which houses a large closet, and room to hang up numerous items of clothing.

The little touches made the experience even better. There are numerous books in the room, a connectivity kit (iPod/phone charger, CAT5 cable, universal power adapter etc) and many other things you'd never think of. Each night, a bottle of water for each guest was placed on the side tables in the bedroom, and fresh towels with rose petals on them on the side of the bath.

Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I have stayed in quite a few nice hotels, but when it comes to the whole package (room, service and comfort etc), nothing beats the MO. It might not have the traditional Vegas feel, but that's a good thing - it's right on your doorstep when you want it.

2 Thank Ben-Feo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

I checked in to the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas for a two day business meeting and it was one of the best hotel experiences I've had. Everything was perfect - the professional bell staff that greeted my taxi announced my arrival to the front desk in advance - so when I took the elevator to the 23rd floor sky lobby - they already knew my name. The rooms are beautifully appointed and every little detail was considered - they even have a yoga mat in the room! It's everything you don't expect from Vegas - no noise, no casino, no smoke, no obnoxious partiers - and everything you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental property. If you like some of the things Vegas has to offer - but don't like the crowds or noice - this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
SF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

We were undecided btw the Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental, but ultimately chose the MO because it was newer, had a better location, and the good reviews. We were not disappointed. The hotel checked us in early even though we arrived at 9am. We checked out the pool area (too bad it was freezing!), gym (nice new equipment) and MOZen (quiet breakfast place with attentive staff). In the afternoon, the hotel delivers surprise popcorn for kids, which was a real treat. The concierge helped us get good seats for Ka at the MGM, which was just a short walk away (better than when we called the box office directly). We had gone over to the Half Price Ticket Booth across the road from the hotel but they did not have half price tickets for kids unlike if we bought directly from the Ka box office/hotel concierge. The next day, we took the complimentary hotel car to the Wynn. Daniel, our chauffeur, was fantastic - very professional and an excellent driver. The doorman at the MO also greeted us by name, which was impressive. We took the free monorail from the Aria (walking distance from the MO) to the Bellagio. Overall, we were very pleased by the location of the MO. It was a bit troublesome having to switch elevator banks every time we needed to get back to our room but otherwise, it was so nice to go back to a quiet hotel, without the throngs at the casinos or the smoke. We relaxed with drinks at the lounge before flying out.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank SFfam
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

My partner and I had planned our wedding in Las Vegas and we wanted to stay at a luxury hotel for a few nights before heading off to Maui for our honeymoon. After reading loads of reviews of hotels we went for the Mandarin Oriental.

We were completely blown away by the opulence of this hotel. From the moment you arrive at the ground floor entrance and use the lifts to get to the sky lobby you are taken aback. At first I must admit that I felt a little uncomfortable (like a bit of a fraud - mixing with such wealth!!) but the staff made us completely welcome and I soon settled into the Mandarin Oriental lifestyle!!

We had a normal room (I think it was called a Cityscape??) which was stunning. Being a typical male gadget freak I loved the TV room control - especially controling the curtains and lights. The bed was the most luxurious and comfortable we have ever stayed in. The bathroom was again ... luxurious (I'm going to have to think of some more superlatives) - marble and chrome.

We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food and we didn't have time to explore the pool and spa facilities, but I am sure they would be of the same high standard. On the morning of our wedding we ordered breakfast from room service. It seemed a little on the expensive side (I think it was 50 dollars ish?) that is until it came!!! Fresh juice, coffee, pastries, fruit, cooked breakfast, toast - everything you could possibly want for a breakfast and all served on a very grand table sitting infront of the huge window looking out over Las Vegas!

Looking back, our only regret is that we only stayed two nights and wished we had stayed longer in Las Vegas. I'm not an expert in hotel luxury but I really could not think of anything that was either dissapointing or could have been done in a better way. If you are looking for complete opulence, fantastic service in a tranquil setting this has to be the hotel to go for in Las Vegas!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JamesW44
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2010

My wife and I spent our 5th anniversary at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Las Vegas. We were very pleased with the hotel. The service was always prompt and professional. The room was exceptional (more later) and the peace and quiet demeanor of the hotel was a welcomed surprise and not what I expected. I had anticipated a "flashy" hotel that would rival the glitz and glamor of other hotels on the strip. Instead, the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas was quiet, sophisticated, and "low key". We had a "pool view" room on the 14th floor. The room was amazing. It was very comfortable with current decor. I was most intrigued by the ability to control almost everything with the remote thru the TV (room temperature, lighting, music and even room service). This room had all of the subtle "techie" trimmings that take advantage of our addiction to the electronic/digital world. Your geek husband will love this room. Yet it was plush and very comfortable. The staff were very prompt and professional without being intrusive. The main entrance/elevator only takes you to the main desk and access to the elevators for the upper floors requires a key card. A nice security feature. This was my first trip to Las Vegas and the Mandarin Oriental rivals many of the finer hotels that I have used all over the world. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business