“awesome hike”

and up
Black Canyon Kayak Day Trip from Las Vegas
Ranked #176 of 464 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Owner description: Relax in one of the many hot springs along the trail.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

this was one of the best hikes i have been on.. The hot springs were the perfect temperature to relax, awesome views of the colorado river at the end of the hike. The weather was perfect for this hike when we went, high of 75 the day we went. I was a little scared after reading some of the other reviews because i am scared of heights.. Turned out to be nowhere as bad as i thought, the ropes were fairly easy to use and at no point were we ever over 15 feet or so above the ground. Yes you have to be in fairly good shape to do this but it is well worth it.

7  Thank almorgan24

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My Husband and I went on this hike Sunday October 20th. We arrived a little before 10am on a gorgeous 65-75 degree, perfect hiking day. We both have good fitness habits, and had done some hiking before this trip, but had not done much rock scrambling before this. The first mile to mile and a half are just a trek through the canyon on gravel/sand path. You get some sun exposure here, but also get shade every once and a while. I didn't wear sunscreen and was fine at the end of the trip. After this first bit, you start hitting some large boulders to climb and navigate around. Most areas have multiple ways to go, but you can also usually see a common path taken or a rope. There are some really challenging areas if you are a newer or even moderate hiker. Some spots near the river when your feet are getting slippery are difficult to navigate down and up. There were two areas in particular that I had some issues with, but after a couple attempts and a game plan, I was able to manage. We went all the way down to the river and back. There are multiple hot springs to choose from (we chose the one closes to the beginning of the trek) and down by the river is extremely beautiful. I would recommend this full hike to most generally fit people, with the warning that there is some spots you have to repel down and then navigate those areas back up. We did see some families on the trail, but not down in the second half by the boulders. I would not feel safe taking kids through some of these spots.

5  Thank tmoney1224
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Fun hike to do. Wouldn't recommend this much in the summer, but if you are here during this time, then do it anyway, because its worth the trip. The ropes are a great addition for those who have not done much rock climbing. I only went as far as the first pool, because it was night time and I was by myself with a headlamp, and only a liter of water. I do plan on going back and going all the way down to the Colorado. Wear sneakers, not sandals, or open toed shoed as there is a bit of scramble and climbing on rocks (with ropes for assistance). Again, lots of fun, can be a family hike with a bit of adventure added, just come prepared with food and lots of water. I would not recommend doing this at night if it is your first time (also I have heard stories of friends seeing mountain lions in this area at night, so be wary). Also don't be stupid like me and do it solo, bring a buddy with you. Be safe and have fun!

5  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I went there with my 12 years old sun at about 9AM in the morning on August 17th. We have done tons of hickings but we are not used to such heat (it was 117F). The ride to the Colorado river went fast (around 1h20 minutes, 2h50 minutes in total) without too much problem. We really liked going down the boulders with the ropes eventough we were sometimes burning our hands on the rocks. The hot springs were too hot to even consider going in the pools. The Colorado river was a blast, really refreshing. Watch out not to step on small red crabs, I've been gently bitten by an unhappy one !! The problem for us was on the way back. We had 3L of water at the beginning but you drink a lot more on the way back. Also, the water becomes warmer and warmer as you walk. We have been able to finish but we ran out of water in the last 500m. You need to be in good shape if you do it in the summer.

6  Thank Sebastien D
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Went there on July 22, about 1,5 hour to go down to the river and 2 hours+ to go back, we saw only another group of two on the trail for the day, one of the best hike I have done except for the heat in the canyon on the way back (extreme heat ) bring a minimum of 2 liters of water per person....if you can I would suggest to drop water in a hidden place before using the ropes to go down the canyon you will appreciate it on the way back! not for the kids because of the boulders and ropes,the swim at the Colorado river is worth it on a hot day, from the picture we saw on this website the water level was pretty high see pictures and compare with the others. Things to bring, gloves, a good snack, hat, very good trekking shoes, swim suits, camera and water, water, water and again water! also if you can start the trail early a.m.. About the hot springs some were around 100 and the hottest +-110 degrees...it will push some people to the limit !

8  Thank Daniel R