“Best Part of Our Stay In Vegas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Vdara Hotel & Spa

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Best Part of Our Stay In Vegas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Vdra Review:
We chose Vdra primarly because it’s a non-smoking, non-gambling hotel. We were travelling with our 11-month old baby (Yes, Vegas with a baby! What we’re we thinking?) so it was great to have found a hotel within close proximity of the Strip that is smoke-free. Vdra being an all-suite hotel was ideal for a family. We had a deluxe suite and having a kitchenette more than met are needs during our 4-day stay.
My husband was the expert on Vegas but it was I, who had never been to Vegas, who made all the travel arrangements. I chose the flights, the hotel and places to dine and visit. He absolutely loved this hotel and commented that if this was his first visit to Vegas, he would definitely never ever consider staying in any of the casino hotels. Location was perfect and for those who whined about the supposedly long walk to the strip… come on! Our baby hated the stroller so we only used it to store her stuff. Otherwise, we carried her all over on a carrier & she’s almost 22lbs!
You can easily reach the Strip three ways. Via Bellagio if you want to avoid any direct hit from the sun. Via Aria, through the posh Crystal Mall. Or via The Cosmopolitan. It was ideal for us because the three restaurant buffets I wanted to try out were those of the Aria, the Bellagio & the Cosmopolitan. Once you reach either Cyrstal or Cosmopolitan you just cross over to the Las Vegas Blvd and you have Wallgreens to buy inexpensive wine & chips. We also took the Aria Express Tram to Monte Carlo and from there crossed over to New York New York to take the tram to Mandalay Bay to check out the Shark Reef. We only took the taxi to Town Square Center for shopping and also to the Mirage to see the Siegfried & Roy’s Secret Garden. It averaged 100+F the whole time we were in Vegas. It was a scorcher so it was really a relief to come back through the air-conditioned Crystal Mall where my daughter ended up having the best time of her life just running around. You don’t really need a lot to entertain a baby.
So back to Vdra. Doorman that welcomed us (Christopher) was very friendly. Front Desk Kamet who checked us in was very efficient and was very warm & accommodating. I had a list of things that we needed for the room (slippers, robe, kitchenware, crib, etc…) that he made a note of and within half an hour of us checking-in, they were all delivered. Despite the hotel being fully booked and us arriving around 1pm, we still managed to check-in early. Room absolutely ready. We were on the 52nd floor with a view of the Bellagio Fountains. This was just a deluxe suite but it was perfect! At 11-months my daughter is already an avid walker so she was just over-the-moon exploring the suite. We just had to move the coffee tables and that was the extent of our child-proofing. Only thing is Vdra could not provide was a high chair. I was already aware of this at the time of booking so we brought a portable booster chair.
The Concierge Mary & Edward were both very helpful. I expected a long wait for Concierge service but the most I waited was a couple of minutes. I never really saw any line the whole time we were there but because of some feedback that the wait was long, I ordered an airport shuttle on our second day. I don’t think it was actually necessary that we ordered a shuttle. We checked out at 11:15am which was supposed to be the busiest but there were hardly any guests in line at the front desk and there were taxis available.

We did take advantage of the pool but only for less than 20 minutes. I was aware of the supposed ‘Death Ray’ due to the concave shape of the hotel so we just wanted to take a very quick dip. We noticed later in the day that my daughter actually got sunburnt on her cheeks & chin. It wasn’t so bad but I felt it was my fault that I didn’t put more sunscreen on her.
I believe Housekeeping has the most difficult job so I can overlook some of the minor issues we encountered. What was important is that they rectified them immediately. I was curious as to who serviced our room on our last day, May 22nd (we were in 52016) so I did inquire but the lady at the other end of the line apologized that this was information she could not divulge. The only reason I asked was because whoever serviced the room did a stellar job in that he/she cleaned and set-up the room to the highest standard. Nothing was overlooked.
If you were to ask me for room improvement, Vdra being a non-smoking, non-gambling hotel that will attract parents with babies so it would be helpful to have high-chairs available. I work in a 60-room boutique hotel in Vancouver and we have high-chairs available on request. We were almost ready to stay in the Trump because they were supposed to be very parent-friendly and have stuff for babies (even bottle warmers) available but chose Vdra instead because of the location. Also, considering that there is only one restaurant and one place to get coffee, you really should improve on the quality of the food and beverage you serve. The coffee was too weak. I had to ask for additional shot of espresso just so I could taste the coffee in my latte. Or walk to Va Benne Café over at the Cosmopolitan just to get a descent latte.
I don’t want to promote the hotel just to families. I would definitely encourage singles, young & old adults to stay here. If you’re looking for excitement, it’s just short walk, tram or taxi ride away. We survived and actually enjoyed Vegas with a baby and the primary reason is because we stayed in Vdra.

Room Tip: "Fountain View" is worth the extra dollars.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank MommyonJune10th
VdaraHotelSpa, Guest Relations Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
MommyonJune10th,

Thank you for posting such a great, thorough review from your recent stay! We especially appreciate you taking the time to mention the employees you encountered who were helpful to you and your husband. We will forward your comments to the appropriate departments so that Christopher, Kemet, Mary, Edward, and your housekeeper are all recognized for their great service. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,362)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We just travelled 15 hours and when we got into the hotel with our reservation, we asked if it was possible to get a high floor whith a view to the strip. The check in person said that the higher floors would be available after 1pm, since it's the check out time for many people that would be leaving. We walked for 3 hours and returned to get our nice view. We spoke to other person (a kind one this time) and she gave us the room key. The problem was that when we entered, we noticed that it wasn't the suite that we purchased, just a regular room (we confirmed with the keeper). When we asked again to the staff, she said that they were the same, room and suite. I complained arguing that i paid for a suite and then she delivered me another key. Unfortunately now we are at a suite but we don't have a view. We stayed last time at Elara hotel and it has a wonderful. Besides, Elara's suite has much more features (as a big projector) and a larger floor plan. I really think these inconvinients are unnecessary.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Henrique G
Dear Henrique,

One of our hotel managers will be following up with you regarding your check-in experience.

Best regards,
Vdara Guest Relations
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

This hotel is not on the strip so not able to just step out and explore. To walk to the strip you have to go through either the Aria or Bellagio which is fine the first or second time but becomes inconvenient. Only one side has a reasonable view of the fountain. The concierge could do with bit more local knowledge. The staff on the whole were very pleasant and helpful. The major plus for this hotel is it doesn't have any pokies so it is a lot quieter and is non smoking. Rooms are comfortable but do ask for a room with a view and as high as possible.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

This was my Husband and I first time visiting Vegas, So I search long and Hard for the Perfect Hotel for us to saying. We Stayed 5 nights Mon-Fri at the Vdara. Loved it! Love having a suite. Gives you much more space for your money than the average hotel in Vegas. Kitchen, Seperate living and Bedroom area, Huge Bathroom with seperate shower and big tub! Perfect location!! It's on the Strip but makes you feel like your off the scrip. Whey you walk in it Smells so good! Very Nice and Clean! No smoking and slot Machines all over the place. We are not big on the casino and do not smoke so this was fine for us!! Our room was on the 50th floor with a view of the Belliago Fountain... Beautiful!!! It's connected to the Belliago,Aria and the Monte Carlo Hotel.So if you are the casino type you are not far from it. Rooms cleaned every day Staff Very Helpful and Friendly! Would Hotel to say in more space for you money!

Room Tip: As for a Room on the 40th or higher floor with a view of the Belliago Fountain!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ToyaSB
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Our suite was initially very impressive, with its own kitchenette, big TV and living area. However, closer inspection revealed some slightly shaky cleaning practices - dust on surfaces and a suspicious looking globule of unidentified matter on the bathroom wall. I liked the location, being slightly away from the 'bustle' of Vegas, yet only a short walk to the Bellagio, and the strip. What kind of annoyed me though was the $25 per day resort fees. I wouldn't have minded so much had I had the opportunity to actually use the pool, but on the day we decided to do that the staff decided to close it down due to strong winds. I feel I should have been refunded the fees to be honest - a later email to MGM management resulted in a standard cut-and-paste 'it's our policy to .... ' response. Not really good enough. I would only return if it's on a cheap deal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dan_fleet_UK
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed at the Vdara for a business meeting at the Aria (sister property next door) and stayed an extra day for fun. I've always stayed on the strip and enjoyed it quite a bit. The Vdara was a wonderful surprise just "off" the strip. It's a non-gaming property, so there is no smoke and slot machines when you walk through the front door. Just a small, well-appointed lobby with friendly, helpful staff.

Like other contemporary MGM properties, the Vdara has a element of zen as soon as you walk in. The interior design is wonderful and well thought. Even the smell - or should I say - aroma is wonderful. I'm not sure what they pump through the air conditioner, but the place smells wonderful.

Rooms are spacious and include a kitchenette. I doubt much actual cooking goes on since there's not a grocery store anywhere close, but it's more than adequate for rewarming leftovers. Speaking of leftovers, there is a mini-bar (stocked with the standard over-priced cocktails and snacks that you end up eating at 3 a.m. after a night of drinking), and there is also a small fridge for keeping leftovers cold. The fridge is stocked with complimentary bottled water.

The interior of the rooms follow the overall design of the hotel. Comtemporary and comfortable. Great views regardless of what side of hotel you are on. Bed is wonderful and so are the linens. Even the standard suites are large enough to fit 2-3 comfortably thanks to the pull-out sofa bed.

The pool seemed small for the size of the hotel, but wasn't at all crowded even with a farily full hotel. It is extrememly hot in the sun due to the fact the pool is situated at the base of two 50 story hotels with mirrored windows. I would compare it to an Easy Bake oven around noon when the sun is shining down and reflecting off the buildings. There are umbrellas that you can open above most all of the chairs. There is also a nice bar and pool-side beverage service althought this was quite slow. There is also a light menu so you can order food while enjoying the pool. Like all Vegas pools, the beverage service is pricey but a lot of fun.

The spa was wonderful. Again, smaller than I would have imagined considering the size of the hotel, but an overall great experience. I did not have a spa treatment or massage, but did use the fitness center (included in the resort fee) and the men's wet area of the locker room. There is a really nice steam room equipped with a shower, dry sauna, hot tub and awesome showers. You don't need to bring anything. They provide you with robe, sandals, huge towels, water, juice, fruit, nuts, snacks, newspapers, magazines. The locker room staff put together an ice bucket for me with cold towels, water and juice. The showers are huge and include soap, shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, razor and shaving mirror. Ther is also a large vanity area with anything you could possible need to get ready for a night out... toothbrushes included.

I would highly recommend this property and would stay there again. It's a short walk (through the beautiful Bellagio) to get to the strip, and a great experience.

Room Tip: The higher the better! Some rooms overlook the Bellagio fountains.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rob D
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

This place is just perfect. I went with 2 couples and my bf. we are all between the ages of 22 and 25. We obviously went to Vegas to party. It was great to come back to our peaceful hotel after all the long walks and partying. We stayed in a deluxe suite. Loved that we had our kitchenette, which allowed us to buy food to cook in our room. The bed was AMAZING! Haven't slept that well in years. The bathroom had a shower and tub. Our view was of the bellagio. The rooms were always clean, room service was very attentive and nice. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank md589
VdaraHotelSpa, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
md589, thanks for sharing your experience with us! Sounds like you, your boyfriend and your friends had a good time in Vegas! Vdara is known as an escape in Las Vegas so we're glad you were able to wind down after all the partying. Did you know you can enjoy our beds in the comfort of your own home? While you're waiting for your matress or pillows to arrive, you can always come back to get your fix!

Patricia