“Excellent and Quiet in the Middle of Chaos” 5 of 5 bubbles

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Long Beach, CA
“Excellent and Quiet in the Middle of Chaos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I really hate Las Vegas. Let me start there. I go because I have to go to satisfy my partner. So as you can imagine, finding a great hotel is important to me. We spent two unsatisfying nights at the Mandalay Bay, (no mattress pad on the bed), need I say more? Then we got online and found a great 100 dollar deal to spend Sunday night at Vdara. We didn't know what to expect as we had never heard of it before that day. We were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is new, clean and organized. It is quiet considering the fact that it is the iddle of Las Vegas. The room was fantastic...clean, comfortable, new and well appointed. The beds were really soft, and the pillows were perfection. I loved the kitchenette, and the bathroom was large, and well designed. The view of the Bellagio and the nightly water show was priceless. I loved this room and I would definitely return if I have to. Downstairs they have a cafe and a little store. You have to go over to Aria across the way if you want a larger restaurant and some other shops. You can get gelato and crepes in one store which were excellent.

If I have to go back to Vegas...this is where I'll stay.

Room Tip: Go high if you can!
4 Thank Jon M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,324)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Had an amazing stay here when my Wife and I came to Vegas to renew our Wedding Vows at The Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel, what a hoot!
We stayed for 5 nights at the beginning of June and had a lovely suite overlooking the Bellagio fountains. As Vegas first timers we couldn't have picked a better spot, I was a little worried that we wouldn't have easy access to the Strip but it was a breeze.
We loved the pool area but when that wind blows hold onto your hats, drinks and even your sunbed. The burger sliders & chicken tenders at the pool bar are sooo good, you must try them!
It's been said before but bears repeating, the beds are so comfortable and the pillows are just right, the blackout shades did let things down a bit though.
We didn't try the spa but it did look lovely.
One guy did start smoking during breakfast at the Market Cafe but was quickly informed by the staff who provided a dish for him to stub it out, as non-smokers we found the hotel a welcome relief when we returned each night. Just wish I'd bought some of the Vdara incense sticks before we left as the smell whenever you came in was wonderful.
We did have a problem with our Mlife cards and although we changed them none of our gaming would register and after 5 days as Vegas virgins we did hit the tables pretty hard.
Overall the Vdara is an amazing oasis of calm right in the midst of the madness and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LTTone
VdaraHotelSpa, Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
LTTone, thank you for sharing your first Vegas experience with us! Congratulations on renewing your vows. We're glad you and your wife enjoyed yourselves at Vdara and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Patricia
Manager
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

My friend and I arrived well after the check in rush to be told our Panoramic Suite was not ready. Housekeeping was backed up, and there was no telling how long it would be. I was upset. I booked and paid for this room 4 months in advance. My friend and I were down there to celebrate her 40th birthday. The front desk clerk was apologetic enough, (I didn't catch her name) but only offered a dining credit as the best she could do. I felt like she could have done more, but I dropped it and my friend and I wandered to kill time. We were already exhausted from traveling so we didn't go far. After over an hour, we returned to check on our room since no one called is. The girl who helped us before was no longer there, so I was helped by Linda. (got a name this time) She informed me that there was a Panoramic available, but it was on the 8th floor. I was not happy with that as I booked well in advance. She said one on the 35th floor would be ready in a couple hours if I wanted to wait, otherwise I could take the 8th floor and request to be moved the next day. As I spoke to my friend about it, Linda said the one on the 35th floor was just put back into the system, so we could check in after all. She quickly got us our keys and off we went. Unfortunately, when we opened the door to the room, we found it still occupied! I couldn't believe it! I had read a couple other reviews where this happened, and I couldn't believe it was happening to us. We left quickly and went back down to see Linda. She was very apologetic and kept saying how sorry she was. She did indeed show that the room had been entered back into the system. At that point she told us she was going to go talk to her manager. After a few minutes she returned stating she was upgrading us to a penthouse suite for our entire stay. She was very good to us. She got us checked in quickly and we left again. This time, the room was empty and it met our expectations. However, I honestly think the manager should have come talked to us personally, instead of leaving Linda to take the heat. I think that the manager on duty could learn some customer service tips from Linda.

The rest of our stay went well, but I feel like there are some serious gaps. I understand sometimes hotels get busy and rooms aren't available, but that late after check in? I have never had that happen at any hotel, and I travel quite a bit. Also, how does someone get keys to a room that is still occupied? This is a serious security breach. Also have never had this happen at any hotel. If this was a one time occurance I wouldn't be so skeptical, but I read about these very same things when researching what hotel to book for this trip. I travel to Las Vegas 4-5 times a year for both business and vacation. Even though the rest of my stay and the upgrade was nice, I seriously doubt I want to stay at Vdara again.

On a side note, I was very pleased with the valet, bell, housekeeping and room service staff.

I emailed my concerns to Vdara management, and have yet to hear back. I doubt I ever will.

2 Thank Ppnfrsh
VdaraHotelSpa, Guest Relations Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Dear Ppnfrsh,

On behalf of Vdara, please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with your check-in process. What you described is certainly not indicative of the experience we seek to provide for our guests. Please be assured that your comments will be addressed with the appropriate departments. We appreciate you bringing this incident to our attention and we hope you consider a future stay at Vdara.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Centrally located In the middle of all the lights, noise and activity of Las Vegas is this calm but sophisticated hotel, It is calm because there are no gaming machines on the premises. The rooms are large with spacious ensuite and kitchen. Cutlery crockery etc can be ordered from the front desk and is delivered promptly. There are wonderful views from the large windows. Staff are curtious and helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floors better views.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed at the Vdara hotel in August 2011. This was my second trip to Las Vegas and i stayed at the Luxor the first time. We stayed in a corner suite that was very nice. The shades with many automatic controls made the hotel experience far better than my first experience at the Luxor. UNFORTUNATELY something happened to me during my trip that i hope no one has to experience. On the second day after waking up later than my friends i was at the Hotel by myself. After eating some breakfast which was about 20 dollars i decided to take a shower. I would end up spending the next six hours in the hotel shower, locked inside of the bathroom due to a faulty lock. The phone which was located beside the toilet didn't work neither. Can you imagine this sceernario? I began to panic, trying to rip the painting off the wall in an attempt to break the glass and climb out but nope, spent the next six hours biting my nails. I had to eventually be saved by a mechanic who spent twenty minutes opening the door. After filling a security report i was never contacted by staff again. I hope no one has to go through this again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Anthony D
Dear Anthony D,

We would like to sincerely apologize for your experience during your visit last summer as we understand how distressing it must have been for you. Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention as what you experienced is certainly not typical of our high standards. A member of our guest relations team will be reaching out to you to follow-up on this issue.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We checked in early July 3rd (1 AM or so) for four nights, and they upgraded us for free to a larger room on the 24th floor with a view of Bellagio. It was great until the 2nd night...when we returned from dinner, the room REEKED of cigarette smoke. Neither of us are smokers, and we specifically chose this hotel because it's supposed to be entirely smoke-free. I called the front desk, and they sent someone with air freshener, which barely helped. They did offer to move us to a different room, but it was late and we were tired. We toughed it out for another day/night, but it was so bad that we started getting headaches. We went to the front desk and they immediately offered to switch rooms; we got a key so we could check the new one out first for smoke. It was smaller, on the 6th floor and overlooked the pool, but it didn't smell bad at all so we took it. Everyone was nice and apologetic about the problem, but it's so disappointing that this supposedly smoke-free hotel has smokers. You can't really blame the staff; how can they catch people unless they see them? And WHY would a smoker stay there, when EVERY other hotel in Vegas allows smoking?

The rooms all have a little kitchen area with a refrigerator, sink, and microwave/oven combo. You can request cooking & eating utensils from housekeeping, which we did. We went to Walgreens a couple blocks away on The Strip and bought some breakfast items (OJ, yogurt, coconut water, bananas) and some instant Kashi oatmeal packets from Vdara's shop, so we could eat breakfast in the room. Eating out is SO expensive there--easily $40 for two for breakfast with no alcohol! So this saved us a little money.

I spent several hours at the spa for a massage, facial, and manicure, all of which were great--very relaxing and nice. No smoke smell there! There are nice showers and changing area/lockers with all product & appliances you'd need, separate dry and steam saunas, really cool stone lounge chairs that are heated next to the wonderful whirlpool/spa pool.

The fitness room is *way* too small for a property like this. I used the treadmill twice on two separate days, and one of those times I had to come back a couple of times to get onto the equipment. You'd think at a hotel where the guests are health-conscious they'd have a bigger fitness facility. I asked if we could use the pool & fitness center at Aria, their sister property, but they said no.

Pros: The rooms are nice and modern, the bathrooms are big, and the staff is nice. The drawbacks were the smoky room, the small fitness center, and small pool. Not many restaurant choices in that hotel, either, though you can easily walk over to Aria. I probably would not stay here again, based on our experience.

Room Tip: If you really don't want smoke smell in your room, ask to visit it first. Also, the rooms that h...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shiba_fan
Dear Shiba_fan,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. Please accept our apologies for the discomfort you experienced due to another guest's breach of our non-smoking policy. We pride ourselves on providing a comfortable, smoke-free environment for our guests and we regret that your experience was marred by this issue. Please be assured that we take this issue seriously and our staff will work to ensure the smoke-free atmosphere is preserved.

Peace River, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed in the corner suite, room 30.024, the view of the fountains at the Bellagio are amazing, especially at night.
We waited in no lines to check in. NO Casino means no crazy crowds and most importantly, no smoke! The Cafe downstairs is a little lackluster (my only complaint) but the food and coffee are excellent. I have read some of the negative reviews and most of them must be rich people with nothing to worry about in their lives but a little dust on the TV.
Very clean, very curteous staff, very helpful, I will definitely be staying here if I ever return to Las Vegas.

Room Tip: Definitely spend a little more and get a corner suite facing the fountains. Great view of the strip...
4 Thank TravelwoBob