“Grrrrrreat!!!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Usa
“Grrrrrreat!!!!”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I love my stay at the Vdara!!! I will be coming back real soon. I will be telling my friends and family about my stay . The staff was nice . Everyone was pleasant at the hotel. From the time i check in from the time i check out everyone was helpful

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,389)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Solon, Ohio
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I love this clean hotel.....no gaming inside so the lobby is always quiet. Kitchen in rooms with stove top, microwave and extra refrigerator. Rooms are clean and neat....various sized rooms....try the corner suite if you get a chance....absolutely breathtaking. Customer service here is top-notch and they aim to please. Small marketplace in lobby for snacks and complete sit down meals. Valet parking only charged as a hotel resort fee daily.....but the valet staff gets your car very quick and with a smile every time. You cannot beat the location. Rooms are clean and well appointed. This is one of my new favorite places to stay while in Las Vegas.

Room Tip: Corner suite is worth the money....large floorplan with extra amenities.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
ST. LOUIS, MO
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Booked this hotel on Hotwire and got a decent rate of $118/night. Very friendly staff and speedy check in and when asked if we had a view of the Bellagio fountains, the front desk changed our room so that we had a view. Breakfast downstairs in the Market was ridiculously pricey. Best to walk over to The Aria for Starbucks. This is Vegas however.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with a view and see if they can accomodate
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SNYDERST
Largo, Maryland, Usa
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This all-suite hotel was a pleasant surprise. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Hospitality Suite and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was 6 females in our party and we had plenty of room. Each of us had our own robe and slippers as well as a constant supply of towels and other bathroom amenities.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gredta H
In the middle
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This review will be pretty much what the title suggests. So if you are a regular visitor to Vegas or from the USA, please carry on reading if you wish, but I think we all have different expectations and by now you will have decided over the years what is your preferred hotel of choice.

Ok, here we go. This was my first expedition to the land of concrete and lights, and obviously during the taxi trip from the airport and entering the city limits it was as though someone had clubbed me in the face. It's immense and awe inspiring in a very cheesy way. You will have to get a taxi from the airport for a no nonsense transfer after being in the air for such long periods. Does not cost the earth and gets you to where you need to be.....regardless of where you are staying in Vegas. My first useful tip being......have a sensible amount of dollars on your person for journeys such as this.

So, you have heard about Vegas and how great it is and you have chosen the Vdara as your preferred place of residence. You have chosen well!

Now then........you have arrived at the hotel, paid the nice taxi person including a tip. How much???? Up to you, but I figured five or more dollars and he did not appear disgruntled at this gesture, ie: placed the luggage on the ground opposed to throwing it from the boot.

Enter the hotel lobby and join the line to book in. In my case it was a rather delightful young lady at the desk who had everything ready for us. We did not ask for upgrade/different choice of room, but rest assured it was obvious there were different rooms available at that time and she endeavored to put us in the most appropriate for what we had paid for. One has to be sensible about this. If there are nicer rooms available at that time, then I got the feeling they will do their very best. In our case, we had a room reasonably high up with a delightful view of the strip and desert, not to mention the main highway.(yes, yes, yes......we could see/hear the Bellagio water feature)

Ah yes.....the dreaded Resort Fees!!!!! Well this is dead simple, for us Brits at least it would seem. When you are checking in, ask the nice person on the desk if the fees are applicable. They will tell you where you stand. Now, we booked through a British tour operator and the nice person at the hotel desk told us that the fees were all taken care of and basically use all the hotel services. I assume that we had already paid for all of this, or it was not applicable to us. ADVICE TIME: If you are liable for these fees, find out straight away on booking in then adjust your holiday spends accordingly. This is so simple. Yes, the fees are a tad steep, but that's Vegas.

The Vdara has a bar, cafe etc in the lobby, but are no cheaper than buying the same goods from anywhere else in Vegas. So you neither gain or lose. Your choice.....fill your boots!

The room? Well I did some research prior to getting there and it was exactly what I expected. These rooms are what appear to be apartments, which are now classed as hotel rooms. One assumes the Vdara was built as time share type of thing initially but something happened upon completion (probably some economic disaster) which meant they had to revise it's use. If this was the case, whoever made the decision to reinvent it as a hotel made a very good choice. Folks, this place is ideal for those wanting somewhere to put their heads down, perhaps a little too luxurious for that purpose. I cannot complain! You will have read in many previous reviews about the lack of in room amenities, yes a coffee maker etc would have been nice, but we really did survive without one.

Getting to anywhere from the Vdara is quite a pleasant experience. This connecting walkway from the Vdara to the Bellagio is not as dreadful as others make out. If anything the exercise will do more good than harm. From the Vdara Lobby to the Bellagio Lobby it took about five minutes, and as you may have heard, the Bellagio interior is a sight you will never tire of. This will give you immediate access to the strip, and the heat of the day/night. If you were to use the front entrance of the Vdara to get to the strip it would take a little longer and admittedly the route is a little convoluted for pedestrians.

The longer you explore Vegas, the smaller it gets, day by day. We did five nights and after 48 hrs I think we finally started getting our heads around just what exactly this place is about. I can confirm that after seeing some of the sights, the Vdara was a welcome resting place, it just takes you right out of the madness. Then you can return to it when it suits you.

I cannot comment on the food sold within the Vdara as we ate out for every meal. Just enjoying the slightly overpriced coffee in the cafe at the Vdara every so often. So breakfast was taken at one of the many eateries located on the strip, lunch was taken at whichever part of the strip we were on and evening meals were a delight due to the overbearing number of different places offering so many options of food. I say overbearing mainly because there were so many. Arguments would ensue when we asked each other to make a decision on where to eat. Can think of worse things to have a spat about. I suppose now you are wondering just what is the cost of eating/drinking etc. Depends how opulent you want to be. For a mediocre meal of an evening you can expect somewhere between 50-70 USD for main course, sweet and a couple of beers. Then you have a tip on top. Allegedly, you have to work on a 10-15% ratio. 20% if you found the service exceptional. Your choice folks, sometimes the service can be rubbish. Again, a few loose dollars on your person can be quite useful.

Gambling!!!! You will be overjoyed to hear that at one point we were 400% up on our initial bet............that was on the 1c slot machines of course. Your choice folks. If that's your bag go and gamble, there is no shortage of places offering to take all your hard earned. If like us you don't dabble, at least take a few minutes out to stand and watch the 'professionals' place obscene amounts of chips on the mats at the tables. An education it is!

So, we visited pretty much everywhere. Like anywhere, if you scratch beneath the surface long enough, you figure that perhaps Vegas is not quite all you thought. The wonderful architecture that makes up the themed hotels is, in a word, plastic. It's starting to wear hence why I was a little disappointed that this wonderland was not all it seemed. But hey, it beats the miserable horridness of the UK, and sunburn to boot!

If I may finish with a few observations and hints.

1. Pedestrians and cars do not get on very well in Vegas. Use the crossings and well maintained walkways/trams/escalators on your adventures. You will live well and prosper.
2. The delightful gentlemen offering the services of misunderstood failed models on each street corner will leave you alone with a polite 'no thankyou'. I was with my girlfriend for gods sake, why on earth would I want these services? Was tempted to take more of an interest a few times just to see the reaction of the other half. Common sense prevailed though and I kept my anatomy in tact.
3. Excursions. We pre-booked the helicopter/champagne breakfast at the Grand Canyon before leaving the UK (deeply recommend). We did it through Maverick Tours. Very, very easy. Very, very professional. They are the safest option and you will leave the trip thinking what great value for money. Even if it does cost an arm and a few legs.
4. Shows. You gotta do a show. Go to any of the kiosks located in shopping malls on the strip and speak at length about what you need. They will not rush you, you can see what you have purchased. I was quite impressed. You will know if you can trust them because they are smartly dressed and sit behind a computer terminal. Not like their counterparts on the streets who invented the title of 'dodgy geezer'.
5. A hundred dollars in cash will see you through the day, with a credit card for major purchases. There is a safe in your Vdara room......USE IT!!! (For peace of mind) We used a pre-loaded cash card for pretty much all our food and attractions. It served us well, the only place it cannot be used is at the gambling tables. There are no transaction/commission fees other than at cash points......hence why it's good to take some loose cash with you from the UK.
6. Smokers. I am a smoker......I could smoke inside the casino's, in the street. No issues there.
7. If you venture down to the old strip, prepare to be disappointed. It's a slum compared to the newer end. The Stratosphere is located down there, so there is no avoiding it. We did not spend too much time in that area and a return taxi trip is recommended for a speedy retreat back to the main strip.
8. It's hot......use sun protection/hat etc. You will probably experience a dust storm or the odd cool day. All part of the enjoyment.

So, if you are off to the Vdara/Las Vegas and it's your first time just use common sense. It is not particularly cheap, but you will enjoy it......I did. Perhaps five nights was too much, could have done it all in three at a push, and four would have been a slightly better choice. Whatever you want to see you will see it here and you will not forget it in any great hurry.

We left Vegas for Hawaii. Check out was a breeze and the taxi driver who took us to the airport knew his stuff. He avoided taking us to the wrong terminal that was printed on our paperwork. His words were 'trust me, I've done this before'. We did and he pretty much organised our checking in. Well beyond the call of duty and earned himself a well deserved tip.

Folks........if you are thinking of going here for the first time, do not have any concerns, just look forward to it and you will find it very easy to enjoy it all has to offer.

PS: Yes, there is crime in Las Vegas. We did not see any. The strip appears very well policed and all the hotels/shopping malls have security 24/7. I am not going to endorse any other businesses other that those I have mentioned. However, feel free to contact me if you want some direction.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank theviolator
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend Easter 2013 and was really looking forward to a swish and stylish hotel. The reviews had been really good so had no reason to doubt my choice. However, I can only rate my stay as disappointing. The suite we had was okish, stains on the carpet, not cleaned properly, hair in the bathroom sink and tub etc. As we arrived quite late I thought I'd point it out to the cleaning staff the next morning. I ordered cutlery and crockery from housekeeping so I could have a coffee the next morning. After returning from a day out I found that my suite had not been cleaned at all and my crockery hadn't been delivered. I called housekeeping and they did send someone up quite quickly. They gave me the explanation that I must've had my do not disturb light on - which I didn't! The best thing undoubtedly for me was the bathroom styling (when it was cleaned). The cafe downstairs was over-priced the bar was empty and soul-less. The walk to the strip was longer than thought and the smell of the incense in the lobby was over powering. The lifts looked a bit tired and whoever designed the decor should consider a change of career. The resort fee of 25 usd per night was a bit over the top.
Overall I didn't get the luxury feel that I was expecting with this hotel, although Vegas, as always was fabulous. My next trip I think I'll choose to stay at the Palazzo.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with clean carpets.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire70-19
Oregon
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The location is excellent and the rooms are THE BEST in Vegas. I was so impressed with how clean and comfortable everything was. My only complaint would be maintenance issues such as outlets and shower fixture not working properly. It was the PERFECT property to stay with a baby (NO SMOKE!) and everything was close by.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family