“Had a few problems here”
Review of Vdara Hotel & Spa

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, UK
“Had a few problems here”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I'm going to be kind here and assume that being fairly new, they are having some trouble getting everything operating smoothly (and they are offering some very good rates) but all in all, I didn't have the best stay. It took almost an hour to check-in. Partly my fault for picking the 'wrong' queue, but it's really annoying to see people who joined other queues 20 minutes later than you did getting checked in first. If they can't have enough reception staff on duty, how about one queue for all the desks?

When I eventually got to the front of the queue, the welcome was indifferent. Whatever - I just wanted to get to my room. Having got there, I discovered it hadn't been cleaned. It looked like a bomb had hit it - if that's how people regularly leave their hotel rooms, I feel very, very sorry for housekeeping staff the world over. Anyway, having got back down to the lobby and asked the concierge (he was very nice) to help me as there were still huge queues to check in, I did eventually get a room, but it wasn't a good start. And there were numerous other people milling around in the lobby complaining that they couldn't get into their rooms yet (it was 7.00pm) so my problem was not an isolated one.

On the plus side, the room I eventually got was lovely, on the 47th floor with a great view of the Bellagio fountains. The rooms are large, with a dining/kitchen area, separate sitting and sleeping areas (both with their own large, flat screen TVs) and nice bathrooms with separate shower and tub. I thought the room was excellent value for the $135 I had paid. My only complaint would be that the electronically operated blackout blinds don't completely cover the windows and therefore don't block out the light particularly effectively. There's also some noise from the main road which runs behind all the Strip hotels.

The location is not as inconvenient as I'd feared. With no casino to walk through in Vdara, it's a very short journey down in the lift and along a covered walkway to the Bellagio Spa Tower wing, from which you can either continue through the Bellagio and out onto the strip, or take a tram to Aria/Crystals and continue from there. I certainly wouldn't let the location put your off if you want to be center strip.

Anyway, even when I got into my room, Vdara hadn't quite finished with me. The fire alarm went off at 2.00am, very loudly indeed, and with flashing lights to boot. It was not a pleasant awakening, and nor was the thought of walking down all 47 floors to get out. Weirdly, the lifts were still working while the alarm was ringing, so with a couple of other guests from my floor, I exited that way. I'd had the presence of mind to get dressed & grab my purse on the way out, so I went off to the Bellagio and played on the slots for a while, but it was 3.15 by the time they figured out what was wrong with the alarm system and we all got back into our rooms. I guess the fire alarm isn't strictly Vdara's fault, but it wasn't a lot of fun.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank UKLizzie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,448)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Our terrible stay at the Vdara started the minute we walked in the door...it was 11:30pm and they told us they did not have a room for us. I asked for a complimentary upgrade due to the inconvenience and I was told 'no' the hotel was full. We were told to go buy a drink at the bar. So we went. I only wanted water, waited for over 30 minutes, asked again and was told she was going 'in order' but the bar was not busy at all. Finally, after 1am, we got into our room. The room was clean, but had a funky 'rotting' smell. The smell got worse, so the next night, we went to the front desk to complain. The air conditioning also was not working. It took over an hour for the front desk to get back to us (we had been waiting yet again in the bar) and that's only because we asked! The smell was supposedly gone, and the ac fixed. Nope. We are too tired...we go to bed. No cream or sugar in the room for the coffee...$15 a night extra as a 'maintenance fee' Pool closes at 6pm...far from the strip...emergency alarm goes off at 2am, no announcement to go back to the room until after 3am....terrible terrible service at the Silk Road restaurant.....I could go on. Definately NOT a hotel I would ever recommend.

4 Thank Sherry5586
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The Vdara is a brand new hotel in the City Centre development in Las Vegas. Its a non gambling, non smoking hotel adjacent to the Bellagio (connected by a covered walkway)but set back around 400m from "The Strip". We had to change rooms twice after travelling for almost 24 hours. The door was open on the first room, someone had obviously been in the room as the bed was unmade. Security anyone? The second room was an upgrade overlooking the pool (actually on a much lower floor). The sink in the kitchen area smelled terrible. Its a waste disposal unit and hadn't been cleaned out. When temperatures are at Vegas levels this isn't good. Back to reception for another upgrade this time on the 36th floor overlooking the Fountains of the Bellagio. Thank you Rachel on Reception for being so helpful. I actually think she was terribly embarrassed about the whole situation.
The hotel itself is pretty lifeless. The restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch. Room service ends at 10pm.
During our 7 night stay we were awoken by the Fire Alarm at 2am. The very few staff on duty at this time were as confused and disorganised as the guests. After decending 36 floors some staff members were telling us to return to our rooms (while the alarm was still sounding), others told us to evacuate. Not good. No one seemed to be in overall control of the situation. After about an hour we returned to our rooms only to be woken again about 20 minutes later by the PA system telling us that the cause of the alarm was unknown and that they were still investigating. The next day we were still unclear whether it indeed had been a false alarm.
The Concierge also managed to book us a restaurant reservation on the wrong evening which could have been quite embarassing if we hadn't double checked ourselves.
The pool is also much too small for the number of guests (especially at weekends). There are much better hotels in Vegas - we'd try the Aria next door which was on offer for just about the same price.

3 Thank griffjd
San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 May 2010

So my BFF's and I went to Vegas for three nights and stayed at Vdara and we had an amazing time! I go to Vegas fairly often and have stayed at Bellagio, Palazzo, Venetian, Encore, TheHotel etc. And strangely enough I had the best time at Vdara.

Maybe I was just sick of the smoke and tired of the ringing sounds and endless crowds the hotels with casinos bring. So Vdara was a welcome change. After a night of shows, drinking, dancing, and partying it was nice to come back to a serene, spacious and beautiful room.

When we first arrived, however, I have to admit that it took about 45 minutes to check in. I was fuming mad but knowing how the hotel industry worked, I asked very nicely if there was anything they could do for me since I was so patient and I was promptly upgraded to a one bedroom penthouse suite! They also delivered a free bottle of champagne to our room.

The next day I called the concierge and Evan, who is awesome, booked us spa appointments and got us on the list to a few of the hottest clubs in town.

We weren't in our room when the alarm went off at 2 am but that sucked I'm sure.

The spa appointment was great! You can't beat 130 bucks for a 60 minute massage at a 5 star hotel.

Had breakfast at silk road. The food was fine but the service was so slow! Don't know if I'd eat there again.

It's about a 5 minute walk to bellagio and a 2 minute walk to aria so there are plenty of casinos and traditional vegas excitement nearby.

There is also a tram that connects bellagio, vdara, aria, and monte carlo. Monte carlo has a ton of cheap eats and also had a 24 hour cafe that fulfilled my 4am craving for steak and eggs.

Essentially, I got to relax and unwind at vdara after hitting the strip pretty hard all night. Keep in mind that it is a new hotel so it's going to have a few glitches.

Also, it's a condo/hotel so that may explain why it's not as heavily staffed as other hotels.

Finally, even though the lag time on service makes you angry, ask nicely and they'll pretty much give you anything you ask for. For me, I paid 120 a night for a penthouse suite, got free champagne, free brunch, discounts on spa services, and vip at haze, the bank and xs.

Pros: huge, beautiful, clean rooms. A peaceful environment and friendly staff. Great location. Vons.com delivers to vdara since it's a condo/hotel. (I got alcohol and snacks delivered free).

Cons: super slow service. (but if you "complain" about this issue nicely youre likely to get freebies). Not enough restaurants in hotel. Small pool.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons and I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2010
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We have stayed all over Las Vegas for almost 20 years. We decided to stay at the Vdara to check out CityCenter. Driving into the CityCenter is like driving into LAX. If your idea of a great hotel accommodation is the heart of LAX, then you have arrived.

Upon walking into the Vdara, the smell of men's cologne is overpowering. Why the hotel chooses to use this scent as air freshener is beyond me. The front desk line was long and slow. On the plus side, the elevators were fast and our room was new, modern, and nice. Everything we needed was there, except coffee creamer. The hotel charges a $15 per night resort fee for coffee, water, a newspaper, etc. Fine-so where is my creamer? I called housekeeping several times for creamer. It never arrived. I had to approach housekeeping in the hallways and hit them up. The lack of customer service was just getting started.

At 2:00am Friday night, as stated in a number of other posts, an emergency alarm blared and told us to evacuate immediately. We shuffled into the lobby and were milling around aimlessly. Not a SINGLE employee knew what was going on. The hotel is clearly understaffed, and the employees actually present are clueless. Not a single employee said "I don't know what is going on, but I'll look into it and get back to you." We decided after 10 minutes to go back upstairs. When we got there, I phoned the front desk and they said that we should not have gone back to our room. I inquired why a hotel employee wasn't at the elevators telling the hotel guests this. They weren't telling the guests anything! We went back to sleep and were woken three more times by a blaring message stating that the emergency alarm had been cleared.

The next day, we went to the underwhelming pool and were served an overpriced drink by a surly and slow cocktail waitress. I'm willing to pay Vegas prices obviously, but with a bad attitude and no lush palm trees? No thanks. We'll head over to Mandalay Bay for our expensive drinks and hotel rooms. Don't do us any favors by overcharging us to stay at your charmless hotel.

None of the staff mentioned anything about the false alarm (via a letter in our room or a telephone call or a posting somewhere). Nothing! It was like it never happened. I understand that things happen, but the lack of any response by a single staff member is just poor customer relations. I asked the lady at the front desk upon checking out (another long line at 8 am) about what the hotel might be doing to compensate guests for the false alarm and she told me vaguely that a manager will be contacting me within a week. What that means, I have no idea! Honestly, an explanation and maybe a free drink coupon would have satisfied my husband and me. Extra coffee creamer packets even! Anything resembling customer service would have been appreciated.

By the way, there is one bar in the lobby, so if you want to buy coffee or breakfast or anything else, you're walking. There was a restaurant in the lobby, but it never looked open and the reviews for it are poor. I have been telling all my friends and family to AVOID the Vdara. The worst part is that the Vdara should not be this awful. The rooms and bathrooms are really nice, but the service is really, really awful. I will never, and I mean never, pay to stay at the Vdara again.

5 Thank WeLove2Travel23
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Stayed there 3 nights and as you can tell from other reviews your stay here is a crapshoot which really is a shame because the concept is great. My son is a head bartender at a Ritz Carlton resort and I stay there quite a bit so I am familiar with 5 star hotels. I also do not mind staying at a lower end hotel as long as it really delivers service for that level. I gave a 5 star to a Travelodge that did that. The good news on the Vdara is the hotel and the rooms are beautiful, most of the staff and the concierge Sarah was very nice, the views from rooms up high are great, the spa is really wonderful, the hotel is clean and smoke free but not too far from the strip. Middle of the road is there is a kitchen but with the world's smallest refrigerator, a nice bathroom but the lighting is not very good, a nice pool area but the music is too loud. The dark side is we checked in and the fridge had leftovers still in it and a dirty robe left in closet. When I asked about getting decaf to the maid cleaning the leftovers she said you need to call for it, I said how about you take care of getting that for me instead of me calling? The next maid told me they trained her on what to do with bedding one way but she did something else anyway. Good training program. I tried to talk with a manager on my second day and was told she was busy but she could call my cell phone if I wanted to not wait, so I left it but do you think she called? Last day I got a flat tire returning to the hotel, the valet came up and said he wished he could help but he was too busy and ran off, I just laughed and said well of course you are, what else would I expect. Finally talked to a manager before I left who said he had worked at a Ritz and you could just tell looking at his expression that he was pounded all day with complaints for the service there. He did take off my resort fee which saved me $50.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank HikingtheParks
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I would definately stay at the Vdara again. It is beautiful, clean, and we experienced excellent service. We enjoy gaming, but it was very nice staying in a hotel with no casino. It really keeps the traffic down in the hotel (Casino very close at the Aria right out the front door of Vdara). The rooms are very very beautiful and functional. Pool area was also very nice. One minor complaint is there is not a good direct walk to the street. It is a bit confusing navigating your way through the city center streets and / or buildings with no clear pedestrian walkway. Like other reviewers, we found the best way was through the short walkway into Bellagio and then through Bellagio to street. Only 5 minute walk, and this was not a problem for us at all, but the architects maybe should have designed in a better pedestrian path. We also were there for the fire alarm. The alarm is in your room - not hallway - and very loud (this is good), it remained on until fire department cleared the alarm (also good), but fire department took forever to arrive (really not good) and there was absoulutely no explanation or appology during or after the alarm by the hotel staff. This was a 2 hour ordeal. I fully expected a note under our door the next day from the managment explaining the alarm and perhaps an apology. There was none. The desk told me we would be contacted by email in 24 hours concerning the alarm. We weren't. I agree that Vdara really messed up with the handling of this situation. (I kid you not, I later discovered a small fire station garage with 1 county ambulance and 1 county fire truck in the back of the Vdara - why these were not used ro respond, -I don't know, Perhaps this was a daytime only station and the hour wait was for trucks from across town?), Despite these two complaints, I would book this hotel if you are going to Vegas. You won't be disappointed.