“Nice stay, but could have been better”
Review of Vdara Hotel & Spa

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 22 May 2010

The service at the hotel was great! The rooms were elegant, but could have used some extra amenities (plates, bowls, napkins). They responded great to all our requests. Unfortunately, they had a malfunction of the fire alarm system at 0130. Not the best at informing their guests what was going on.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (16,214)

Reviewed 21 May 2010

Based on the mixed reviews, we seem to have been on the high end of the spectrum. Our Pros and Cons are below, but this is all based on the kind of vacation we were looking for: relaxing and not too hectic. We also were looking for moderate night activity - dinner and a show at most. The lack of casino was a pro for us since it kept the hotel quiet. The off-the-beaten trail aspect was also not a problem, but would be a con for anyone who doesn't want to walk too far beyond City Center We also got a great deal on the room which made all "cons" pretty minor.

Pros: Non-smoking, not too loud - usually, kitchenette in room, large room, pool area
Cons: Pool hours were 9am-5pm while we there. While seasonal, it was too short for us
- A private party was hosted at the pool one evening/night. Our room was pool-side and 34 floors up from the event, but the music was loud enough to permeate our room
-City center is not intuitive and the concierge did not have maps readily available. For example, he told us to take the tram to MonteCarlo, then walk through MonteCarlo (i.e. past the lobby, through the casino, and out the other side) to get to the strip when really it's a short walk if you go through the front door of Vdara and take a left
-We did not mind the walk, but you need to budget the extra time
-Refrigerator in the kitchenette is pretty small - holds the leftovers from dinner and maybe a drink or two

Reviewed 21 May 2010

We too were at the Vdara on May 15th when the fire alarm went off. We recognize the necessity for alarms, however the staff were clearly not prepared. We exited the stair well into the restaurant after walking down 21 flights of stairs. 4 staff members were standing with arms crossed not assisting upset or disabled guests or giving direction as to where we should exit from there. There was no clearly identified person in charge and guests were left standing outside without explanation. We were surprised that there was no note under the door in the morning apologizing for the inconvenience and no mention at checkout. I would have expected the hotel Public Relations department to be all over this. Anyhow, hopefully the hotel has been attentive to the feed back and are taking steps to have a solid emergency plan in place.

The hotel itself is very nice, staff pleasant. Very quiet room. Did not hear any noise from other guests or noise from the street. Non smoking hotel is a definite plus after walking through the smoky casinos. The hotel sent up a bottle of champagne when they found out we were there for a special occasion. Nice touch.

2  Thank KandKOntario
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I'm going to be kind here and assume that being fairly new, they are having some trouble getting everything operating smoothly (and they are offering some very good rates) but all in all, I didn't have the best stay. It took almost an hour to check-in. Partly my fault for picking the 'wrong' queue, but it's really annoying to see people who joined other queues 20 minutes later than you did getting checked in first. If they can't have enough reception staff on duty, how about one queue for all the desks?

When I eventually got to the front of the queue, the welcome was indifferent. Whatever - I just wanted to get to my room. Having got there, I discovered it hadn't been cleaned. It looked like a bomb had hit it - if that's how people regularly leave their hotel rooms, I feel very, very sorry for housekeeping staff the world over. Anyway, having got back down to the lobby and asked the concierge (he was very nice) to help me as there were still huge queues to check in, I did eventually get a room, but it wasn't a good start. And there were numerous other people milling around in the lobby complaining that they couldn't get into their rooms yet (it was 7.00pm) so my problem was not an isolated one.

On the plus side, the room I eventually got was lovely, on the 47th floor with a great view of the Bellagio fountains. The rooms are large, with a dining/kitchen area, separate sitting and sleeping areas (both with their own large, flat screen TVs) and nice bathrooms with separate shower and tub. I thought the room was excellent value for the $135 I had paid. My only complaint would be that the electronically operated blackout blinds don't completely cover the windows and therefore don't block out the light particularly effectively. There's also some noise from the main road which runs behind all the Strip hotels.

The location is not as inconvenient as I'd feared. With no casino to walk through in Vdara, it's a very short journey down in the lift and along a covered walkway to the Bellagio Spa Tower wing, from which you can either continue through the Bellagio and out onto the strip, or take a tram to Aria/Crystals and continue from there. I certainly wouldn't let the location put your off if you want to be center strip.

Anyway, even when I got into my room, Vdara hadn't quite finished with me. The fire alarm went off at 2.00am, very loudly indeed, and with flashing lights to boot. It was not a pleasant awakening, and nor was the thought of walking down all 47 floors to get out. Weirdly, the lifts were still working while the alarm was ringing, so with a couple of other guests from my floor, I exited that way. I'd had the presence of mind to get dressed & grab my purse on the way out, so I went off to the Bellagio and played on the slots for a while, but it was 3.15 by the time they figured out what was wrong with the alarm system and we all got back into our rooms. I guess the fire alarm isn't strictly Vdara's fault, but it wasn't a lot of fun.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank UKLizzie
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Our terrible stay at the Vdara started the minute we walked in the door...it was 11:30pm and they told us they did not have a room for us. I asked for a complimentary upgrade due to the inconvenience and I was told 'no' the hotel was full. We were told to go buy a drink at the bar. So we went. I only wanted water, waited for over 30 minutes, asked again and was told she was going 'in order' but the bar was not busy at all. Finally, after 1am, we got into our room. The room was clean, but had a funky 'rotting' smell. The smell got worse, so the next night, we went to the front desk to complain. The air conditioning also was not working. It took over an hour for the front desk to get back to us (we had been waiting yet again in the bar) and that's only because we asked! The smell was supposedly gone, and the ac fixed. Nope. We are too tired...we go to bed. No cream or sugar in the room for the coffee...$15 a night extra as a 'maintenance fee' Pool closes at 6pm...far from the strip...emergency alarm goes off at 2am, no announcement to go back to the room until after 3am....terrible terrible service at the Silk Road restaurant.....I could go on. Definately NOT a hotel I would ever recommend.

4  Thank Sherry5586
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The Vdara is a brand new hotel in the City Centre development in Las Vegas. Its a non gambling, non smoking hotel adjacent to the Bellagio (connected by a covered walkway)but set back around 400m from "The Strip". We had to change rooms twice after travelling for almost 24 hours. The door was open on the first room, someone had obviously been in the room as the bed was unmade. Security anyone? The second room was an upgrade overlooking the pool (actually on a much lower floor). The sink in the kitchen area smelled terrible. Its a waste disposal unit and hadn't been cleaned out. When temperatures are at Vegas levels this isn't good. Back to reception for another upgrade this time on the 36th floor overlooking the Fountains of the Bellagio. Thank you Rachel on Reception for being so helpful. I actually think she was terribly embarrassed about the whole situation.
The hotel itself is pretty lifeless. The restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch. Room service ends at 10pm.
During our 7 night stay we were awoken by the Fire Alarm at 2am. The very few staff on duty at this time were as confused and disorganised as the guests. After decending 36 floors some staff members were telling us to return to our rooms (while the alarm was still sounding), others told us to evacuate. Not good. No one seemed to be in overall control of the situation. After about an hour we returned to our rooms only to be woken again about 20 minutes later by the PA system telling us that the cause of the alarm was unknown and that they were still investigating. The next day we were still unclear whether it indeed had been a false alarm.
The Concierge also managed to book us a restaurant reservation on the wrong evening which could have been quite embarassing if we hadn't double checked ourselves.
The pool is also much too small for the number of guests (especially at weekends). There are much better hotels in Vegas - we'd try the Aria next door which was on offer for just about the same price.

3  Thank griffjd
Reviewed 19 May 2010

So my BFF's and I went to Vegas for three nights and stayed at Vdara and we had an amazing time! I go to Vegas fairly often and have stayed at Bellagio, Palazzo, Venetian, Encore, TheHotel etc. And strangely enough I had the best time at Vdara.

Maybe I was just sick of the smoke and tired of the ringing sounds and endless crowds the hotels with casinos bring. So Vdara was a welcome change. After a night of shows, drinking, dancing, and partying it was nice to come back to a serene, spacious and beautiful room.

When we first arrived, however, I have to admit that it took about 45 minutes to check in. I was fuming mad but knowing how the hotel industry worked, I asked very nicely if there was anything they could do for me since I was so patient and I was promptly upgraded to a one bedroom penthouse suite! They also delivered a free bottle of champagne to our room.

The next day I called the concierge and Evan, who is awesome, booked us spa appointments and got us on the list to a few of the hottest clubs in town.

We weren't in our room when the alarm went off at 2 am but that sucked I'm sure.

The spa appointment was great! You can't beat 130 bucks for a 60 minute massage at a 5 star hotel.

Had breakfast at silk road. The food was fine but the service was so slow! Don't know if I'd eat there again.

It's about a 5 minute walk to bellagio and a 2 minute walk to aria so there are plenty of casinos and traditional vegas excitement nearby.

There is also a tram that connects bellagio, vdara, aria, and monte carlo. Monte carlo has a ton of cheap eats and also had a 24 hour cafe that fulfilled my 4am craving for steak and eggs.

Essentially, I got to relax and unwind at vdara after hitting the strip pretty hard all night. Keep in mind that it is a new hotel so it's going to have a few glitches.

Also, it's a condo/hotel so that may explain why it's not as heavily staffed as other hotels.

Finally, even though the lag time on service makes you angry, ask nicely and they'll pretty much give you anything you ask for. For me, I paid 120 a night for a penthouse suite, got free champagne, free brunch, discounts on spa services, and vip at haze, the bank and xs.

Pros: huge, beautiful, clean rooms. A peaceful environment and friendly staff. Great location. Vons.com delivers to vdara since it's a condo/hotel. (I got alcohol and snacks delivered free).

Cons: super slow service. (but if you "complain" about this issue nicely youre likely to get freebies). Not enough restaurants in hotel. Small pool.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons and I would stay here again without hesitation.