“Home away from home”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cheyenne, WY
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 25 June 2010

I'll start by telling you what we didn't experience so I can get to the review. Didn't eat at Silk Road or visit the pool or spa. Also didn't have a drink at Bar Vdara, but it's in the lobby and usually had people there.

First off, it's really easy to get into City Center by cab, the lanes are well marked and signed. The taxi driver knew right where to go. I loved driving up to the hotel for the first time after watching it being built over the last 2-3 years. We were greeted by a bellman whose name I wish I had gotten! He was VERY friendly and professional and gave us a ticket for our bags, instructing us to call the bell desk when we were checked in and they would bring the bags right up. When you walk into the lobby, it's cool and smells FANTASTIC, like you could drink the air it smelled so good. There was no line to check in at 4pm on a Saturday and the young man who checked us in was again very friendly and professional. He asked if we were in town just for fun or for a reason and we told him our wedding anniversary fell during the trip. He put us on the 20th floor in a suite that faced the Bellagio fountains and said it was a great view; he was right! The lobby is chic and sophistocated with modern styled couches and chairs. Later during our first evening, we received a complimentary bottle of champagne from the hotel for our anniversary. I was stunned and surprised and touched, thank you!

There are six elevators for each section of the hotel, one set of 6 for up for floors 28 or 29 and the other set for floors higher than 29 (I think). We never once in 5 days waited longer than 10 seconds for an elevator and rarely rode with anyone else even though there were plenty of people in the hotel. Even the elevator was chic with a blue glass wall that reminded me of water and a nice wood panel against the back. When exiting the elevators on the 20th floor, the hallways and room numbers are clearly marked and if you take a wrong turn, there's another short connection hallway a few steps down the hall so you don't have to turn around and go all the way back.

The hallway is curved and the room numbers are on glass panels with doorbell buttons. The key pad on the door was cool, you just wave your room key in front of it to unlock the door. Walking into the room was like entering heaven. Very cool and modern with a kitchen, two fridges (one a for-pay minibar), a microwave, a stove top, a Keurig coffee maker and several cabinets. We could have gotten kitchenware but we didn't need it so we didn't call for it. There were two coffee mugs in the room along with bottles water, coffee pods, and creamer/sugar packets. The Deluxe Suite was the smaller one, but still plenty big enough for two people with a huge king sized bed and comfortable couch. There was a media station in the cabinet that worked great for plugging in my USB charger for my Droid. The blinds and shades are controlled from a panel on the wall and were slick and easy to use. A panel at the door lets you change your doorbell button to blue for do not disturb or green for ready for housekeeping. It was all easy to use and clearly marked, but I'm sure the bellman wouldn't hesitate to give a tour if you needed one. The room also had a nice 42" flat panel TV with HD channels which we watched while getting ready in the morning or before going out in the evening. Nice touch with the HD channels, we definitely noticed.

The bathroom was the biggest bathroom I've ever had in a hotel room with great lighting and a really nice, deep tub to relax in that was the perfect size for my height (5'3"). One recommendation that doesn't leave a black mark on my review at all would be some towel bars or hooks other than on the shower door. There was nowhere to hang a hand towel or wash cloth when you were done using it.

The room came with a ladies robe and a mens robe and those were so great, I wanted to steal them (I didn't though). Soft polished cotton on the outside, plush fabric on the inside. The sheets were soft, the comforter was light down and in a duvet, not just wrapped in sheets like other hotels (MGM Grand), the pillows were HEAVEN, huge and soft and moldable.

After unpacking our things into the multiple dresser and night stand drawers, and lighted double doored closet, and marveling at the view from our window, we ventured out to explore City Center. The tram at the Bellagio is a very short walk from the lobby and we found out from a doorman at the Bellagio that the walkway doesn't close anymore. I repeat, the walkway to the tram and Bellagio is open 24/7. There is a beautiful view of Aria from the tram platform, where trains arrive every six minutes.

Crystals Mall was quiet, but had plenty of people in it and is a lovely shopping area that wasn't as big as I thought from looking at their website. Might have been because there are still a few unopened vendors. The swirl fountains were very cool and we saw the ice sculptures, but didn't check back on them every day to see if/how they changed. The mall was very easy to navigate and there are several ways to enter/exit. We chose to walk past the night club and Beso out into the Aria valet area, past the Aria waterwall into the casino.

Aria is modern, sophistocated and beautiful. It wasn't difficult to navigate and was light and airy, for being a casino. I wish I had taken more pictures, but it was an overwhelming experience and I didnt' want to look like a tourist :) We didn't eat at any of the Aria restaurants or see the Elvis show, but we did explore the second floor where the theater and buffet are. It's a really beautiful hotel/casino and we found the walk from the casino/valet area on the north side of Aria to be very convenient to get back to Vdara. In the heat of the day, the 2 minute walk was hotter than hell, but what walk in Vegas isn't in June, July and August?

The walkway from the south valet/reception entrance at Aria leads you past an art gallery and the Veer Towers, which are very cool, on the other side of the road, with Crystals mall connected by the same walkway. A stairway can take you down to the Mandarin Oriental, which we did not go to, and just past that was an escalator that takes you down past the Caroline Herrera gown shop onto the strip. CVS Pharmacy is just around the corner.

You can also board the tram from Aria and Crystals to the Monte Carlo and walk through their Street of Dreams shops and past their food court. It's not hard to get out of the MC to the strip either.

I can't figure out what people in previous reviews are talking about when they say City Center is difficult to get around. They were either clueless or had a horrible sense of direction. We found it to be convenient and easy to nagivate and a joy to walk through.

I visited the concierge desk at Vdara twice. The first time, the cell phone charger I brought wasn't charging my phone, so I asked the concierge Evan to help me find a shop where I could get a new charger without having to scour the strip for a Verizon store. He recommended a mobile accessory delivery service that didn't charge more than a Verizon store and also delivered for free. He placed the order for me and it was at the bell desk when we got back from our afternoon travels around the strip. Evan, you were the best, thanks for all your help.

The other time was to print out our boarding passes for our flights and the other concierge who helped us was friendly and professional, just like everyone else we encountered at the hotel. I didn't run into one snobby or nasty person there, including housekeeping, who went out of their way to arrange the barrage of cosmetics and things I left on the counter in a heap.

I have to say that either this hotel was built with superior products or the clientele is of a higher class (or both) because even though there were plenty of people in the hotel at the same time we were, we never heard a door shut, loud voices, a blaring television or any outside noise other than some construction equipment beeping from the Cosmo (which is trying hard to blend in but failing miserably). We weren't once awakened by rude neighbors or flushing toilets or even the person who hung the newspaper on the door in the morning. Coming back to a cool, quiet, beautiful, good smelling hotel every time we needed a break from a casino was bliss.

In closing, I can definitively say that when we come to Vegas from now on, which tends to be yearly in the summer, we won't hesitate to make the Vdara our home away from home. We've been hotel hopping over the last five years, staying at NYNY, Sahara, Luxor, MGM and now Vdara and we have found our home away from home and have no intention of hotel hopping ever again. I was so sad to leave and I can't wait to come back! Well done, Vdara staff and management, you are a cut above the rest!

6 Thank shelnbay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,390)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 25 June 2010

It was a truly good experience, the hotel was fabulous, we stayed in a deluxe suite.
All staff were more genrous than I had expected with a lot better service than hotelier's here in England!!
Concierge and Bell desk were excellent, rooms were cleaned every day (to my high standards!), 24 hour room service and restaurant inlcluded.
We overlooked the Bellagio hotel. Best hotel stay I've ever had.
Highly recommend 35th floor!
xx
P.S. Bear in mind Vegas is all built on tips, so take more money than you anticipate is needed!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I went to Vdara with 3 girlfriends for Memorial Day weekend. First, I booked the 2 story, 2 bedroom penthouse and 2 days before we were to arrive I was informed the suite was no longer available (despite my reservation from January). While we were at dinner the last night of our stay, someone entered our "hospitality suite" and stole over $3,000 worth of items (i.e., handbags, wallets, ipods). We reported the incident to the hotel and the police. The hotel has refused to compensate us and I was forced to claim the items through my homeowners insurance. Risk management was dreadful. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. I paid over $6,000 for our 3-day visit and they refuse to compensate for our items. Back to the Wynn for me.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank jhu22314
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We would definitely stay here again, the rooms are large, beautiful. Staff were extremely helpful. Good ambience. It may not appeal to gamblers as it`s non gaming, but you are literally 2 mins away from Aria and Bellagio which both have gaming facilities. As it is non gaming, it is also non smoking, which is great, and just has a much more calming feel to it, which was nice to retreat to after visiting the other gaming establishments in town. The ultra modern architecture of the entire City Centre area where the Vdara is located (along with the Aria and the Crystals shopping area) is fabulous, and the tram that runs between the Bellagio/City Centre/Monte Carlo was great, saved a lot of unnecessary walking, and runs every couple of minutes. The location of City Centre/Vdara in the middle of the strip we found to be very convenient. If you are looking for something smaller than the other massive resorts, and something unique, the Vdara fits the bill.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BurnsieMae
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Beautiful boutique hotel ruined by the inability to use your debit card for simple charges such as a movie rental, in-room dining, a drink at the bar or pool-side. You need to provide your card every time you call room service. You cannot use the mini-bar or rent movies in your room! This goes beyond acceptability when right next door the Aria and the Bellagio accept a debt card at the front desk and allow you to charge everything to your room.

The solution offered by front desk? Bring a credit card! No help whatsoever after you get here. They should have a disclaimer when you make a reservation that you will not be able to benefit from the services of the hotel with a debit card so you know before you get here.

Needless to say, I canceled my planned 2 week stay at this hotel after such a horrible experience.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank JohnTM
East Yorks
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Our basic suite was modern and spacious. You enter the room through a kitchen/dining area, but this a pointless waste of space - it has a hob, microwave, base and wall cupboards, coffee machine and a fridge, however there is no crockery (apart from two cups), no cutlery, no pans - not that I fancied doing any cooking! - so what's the point in having it? We were left only two cartons of coffee per day, powdered creamer and a straw to stir! The view from our suite however (floor 42) was great, especially an night, through a full wall of windows. The bed was one of the comfiest hotel beds we've ever slept in. There was a double wardrobe containing a safe - however this was only a few inches deep and was tricky to get your belongings in. Could have done with a few more hangers. The bathroom was compact, but clean, modern and bright, with plenty of towels and toiletries provided - the robes were lovely, but I had to ask for the free hotel slippers. The maid service was quite late in the afternoon - quite anoying on the evening we wanted to get ready and out early. We enjoyed a morning in the spa, but this carried a separte charge (sauna, steam room, jacuzzi) however, the men and women had separate areas. A big letdown was the pool area. It was way too small for the size of the hote. It did have plenty of loungers, but they were all crammed close together. The music speakers around the pool were also very loud. There were'nt many umbrellas - even though it was 110 degrees, and the staff were always coming round and putting them down or taking them away, as it gets very windy in this area, and someone told us an umbrella had blown up and over the barriers - quite dangerous! The pool area was very plain with mininal planting - it was just not relaxing to sit around. The lobby bar was comfortable, but had no atmosphere and the main restaurant was always empty. Yes, it is quite a walk to get onto the strip, either through the Bellagio or through the Aria (the Aria buffets by the way were very good), but you do a lot of walking anyway. The hotel in general was fresh and welcoming, and the staff all pleasant. We enjoyed our stay here, but next time we'd prefer a hotel with more atmoshpere, and a better designed pool area. We would not stay a Vdara again.

California
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We stayed at Vdara for 3 nights last weekend to celebrate my birthday in Vegas. First off, the hotel is uber modern. Very clean, quiet (compared to casino hotels) and totally smoke-free (love!). We got a free upgrade to a corner suite, which has a kitchen/dining area, separate living area, bedroom, 2 flat screens, a soaking tub, separate shower, well stocked Aveda products and best of all, a wraparound view that is to die for. Vdara has a walkway connected to Bellagio; a short walk to Aria and Crystal and also a free tram that goes to Monte Carlo. We had breakfast at the restaurant - food and service were great. We also had massages at the spa and the service was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed the stay and I recommend Vdara to those who love the high-energy and excitement of Las Vegas, but would like to come "home" to peace and quiet at the end of the day.