“Vegas Baby!!!!!!”

Ranked #24 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
San Antonio, Texas
“Vegas Baby!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Just returned home from a week stay at this wonderful hotel. Took my wife for her b-day and the Elara came throught big time. I can not tell you how many brownie points I got for taking her here. First Elizabeth at the front desk was great in helping me get these major points, thank you again Elizabeth. 1 Br suite what a great place. Wall to wall windows of Vegas, Sliding up and down curtains, Projection TV, Whirlpool tub. I did not need to leave the room for the first 2 days. Then there was Emily at the pool. What a very positive person for the Elara. Thank you too Emily. If you read this and go and see these people you will have a wonderful time. The very best to all and Happy gambling.

Room Tip: Higher units have great views.
2 Thank 765dennis007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Camrose, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is the third review I have angrily typed out for this hotel, but each time I have cancelled the post in fear that I was coming across as in a blind rage. However, it is now 20 days since we checked into this place, and I am still left with the same questions as when we left, and the same level of disgust, and I cannot hold my tongue any longer.
Myself, and 13 friends, planned a bachelor party well in advance of our May 11th check in at Elara. We all wanted to stay in the same room, so we booked one of their penthouse suites that they claimed would best fit what we were looking for. To say it was all uphill from there is an understatement:

1. When we arrived to check in (Thursday), the room we had booked either didn't exist, or had been rented to someone else. The hotel manager suggested we upgrade (upgrade = a lot more $$$$) to another suite that would have enough beds for our entire party. Being the polite, mild mannered Canadians that we are, we grinned and bared it, even though when we got up to our room it did not have as many beds as they said it had. It was a nice room on the surface despite lacking the amount of beds they claimed it had. It had a large living room with a full kitchen and an amazing sitting area that is extended from the rest of the hotel. There were four regular hotel rooms attached to the main room, and one bachelor suite that looked like it was from an episode of cribs. However, the Jacuzzi tub in the suite was shooting black sludge out of the jets, and we called down to the front desk at least 4 times during our stay to have someone come look at it, but no one ever came the whole 4 days we were there. Each time we phoned down there it seemed we were an inconvenience to the person answering the phone, so it’s no wonder no one ever came to look at it.

2. We left our room the first night around 10 pm. Between that time and when we returned around 630 am (hey its Vegas right, yolo), two iPhones were stolen from our room. Who would have thought the safest place for my phone would have been my pocket in a Vegas nightclub! Now, its 630 am, and my brother is telling me I am just drunk, go to sleep and we'll find it in the morning. Knowing exactly where I left it, and seeing it wasn't there, I knew that sleeping it off wasn't going to help, but I did my best to catch a few zzz's. I was up before the crack of noon, and of course could not find my phone anywhere. On my way down to the front desk, I ran into another friend from our room, who informed me his phone was missing also. We went to the front desk, and immediately were accused of bringing transients into our room by the security guard on duty, and then the hotel manager that was on duty at the time. Having talked to everyone before I went down, I knew that no one had brought anyone from outside our party into the room. After having to defend ourselves against their accusations, they sent a security guy up to our room to conduct a report. Again we are accused of bringing transients into the room, but all 14 of us being present we all swore we were not in the company of any ladies of the night (as they call them) when we returned to the room the previous evening (morning). This process took about an hour, and we were told that an investigation was going to take place and we would be informed promptly of their findings (this is Friday before noon).

3. We had some activities planned for the day (Sunbuggy dune buggies, check it out, definitely the highlight of our trip), so we left it in what we thought were the capable hands of their security staff. When we returned to the hotel later in the afternoon, we went to the front desk to see if there were any updates regarding our phones. The manager that was on in the morning was replaced by a new manager who had no idea what we were talking about, and we are again accused of brining transients into the room. After getting him up to speed, we were told there were no updates, but to get ahold of the security manager David Natkin. We returned to the room to call David, and discovered our phones would not dial out. They can call down the front desk, but if you wanted to call anyone else you were SOL. I called down to the front desk and again inconvenienced someone doing their job (I know right), and her directions to dial out were to dial 9, then 1-1 really quick. Well guess who that called? Las Vegas Emergency dispatch......oops. Again I called down to the front desk, and this time asked if she could transfer me to David's number. Again, such an inconvenience for the person doing their job, it was unbelievable. Anyways, I get David's answering machine, and leave him a message to get back to us as soon as possible for an update on the stolen phones.

4. Saturday Morning: have not heard from David, or anyone else. I head down to the front desk, find another new manager, and again find someone who has no idea of our situation, and his first reaction is "who did you bring into your room?". This is now the third manager, along with two security guards with the same accusation. You would think that some notes could have been left on our account to keep everyone involved in the loop as to what had transpired. I am told to get a hold of David Natkin, and after explaining that I have been trying to, watch as the hotel manager on duty leaves a message for David to get in touch with us as soon as possible, even if there are no updates, to let us at least let us know that it has been brought to his attention.

5. Sometime Saturday evening/Sunday morning: On our way back to the room from a night on the town, we decide to stop at the front desk in case we missed any messages while we were out. To our surprise, the overnight manager on duty was well aware of our situation, and he hinted that they may have some security footage of someone/s going into our room. What a shock, the Canadians were telling the truth that we did not bring anyone with us into the room. I know he was doing his best to stick with company policy on these matters, and hopefully it does not get him in trouble, but he told us that when things go missing from their rooms, it is turned over to their risk management company, who then turns it over to their insurance company if negligence is deemed to be on the part of the hotel. We were left with the impression that this was the case in our situation, and that we would be receiving some compensation for our losses. We were told to get in touch with David Natkin, who would be able to clarify what was transpiring from their end, and that we should have some final answer before we checked out on Monday.

6. Sunday Morning: I leave another message for David Natkin (two from me, one from a hotel manager at this point). A couple hours go by without a response, so I decide to head down to the front desk to see if I can catch up with this guy face to face. At the front desk, one of the managers we had dealt with a few times informs me that they have completed their investigation, and a claim will be made to their insurance company for us. I am told to get a hold of David Natkin again for further details. They leave him another message for us (must be a busy guy this head of security, what does that tell you?). I start to have a friendly chat with the security guard watching the elevators, and again hopefully since I am not using names the guy doesn't get in trouble, but a gentleman that may or may not be David Natkin is pointed out to me by the pool, but it didn't come from him ;) Must have been a lucky guess, but the gentleman did turn out to be much sought after David Natkin. To my surprise, David was not aware of anything that had transpired regarding our room, but he did assure me that he would look into it and get back to me by the end of the night.

7. My brother and I were staying an extra night past when the rest of the group left (group left Sunday night, we stayed till Monday). After the first night, we were less than a little thrilled at the thought of spending our extra night in this hotel, and during one of our conversations with one of the managers we mentioned this to them. We were assured that it was our choice where we stayed, but if we did chose to stay with them that we would be taken care of for all the trouble we had gone through. Taking their word for it, the arrangements were made for us to move our stuff from the suite we had stayed in from Thursday-Sunday morning into a different room. Turned out to be one of the adjacent rooms attached to a suite like the one we had. The people staying in the attached suite were not the quietest people, but its Vegas and I know we paid the same big bucks for a similar suite, so its expected that would be having a good time. Just wish we were not in the adjacent room with paper thin walls, we might as well have just opened the door that separated our rooms and joined in the party with them. Oh, and the phone called promised from David was never received.

8. Monday Morning: Check out time is 10 am, so my brother in I were in the lobby around then. Having still not spoken to this golden boy everyone kept telling me to talk to David Natkin, save for the pool-side cornering, we asked if we could speak to him in person again to get some sort of closure on where we stood with the stolen cell phones. It took him at least a half hour to get to the front desk, and when he finally did arrive, his attitude was quite troubling. He brushed us off for not returning any messages, like it didn't matter to him that we had been trying to get a hold of him since Friday and the only time we were able to was when we cornered him at the pool. He did tell us that the insurance company will be contacting us, and that if they hadn't by Tuesday that he would get a hold of us and give us an update himself. It is now 17 days past then, still have not heard from the insurance company, or received the phone call from David himself that we were promised. The most troubling part is the other guy whose phone was stolen has been contacted by their insurance company, and will be receiving some compensation for his stolen phone. That’s the biggest head scratcher.....

9. Their idea of "taking care of us": they stuck us in a room connected to a party suite. We were under the impression that we were being taking care of though, so we did not complain. That is until we were handed the bill for the night, and found out from the kindness of their hearts for everything that we had been through they had discounted the room....wait for this.... a massive $17! After spending over $3600 (combined) on the suite for 3 days, having $1400 worth of cell phones stolen from the room, and wasting hours upon hours of our "vacation" trying to get some sort of answer from these people (and to this day we still have not gotten any), they felt they were helping us out by taking $17 dollars off a room we did not want to stay in to begin with. That was the boiling point for my brother and I, and had I not grabbed my brother around the neck and told him to relax, I'm pretty sure that security would have been escorting us off the premises.

In addition to this nightmare that we went through, the following were not close to any sort of standards for a hotel, let alone one with a Hilton name that is supposed to be a leader in the industry:

- the maids do the absolute bare minimum. Towels that were left on the floor to be replaced with clean ones were just hung back up on the rack, even though they were clearly covered in dirt and sand from our dune buggie adventure. Garbages were left for two days, beds are clumsily made if they get made at all.

- If you have the displeasure of staying at this place, run your finger down the wall in the hallways. You will find it covered in black dust.

- there is zero cell phone reception in the rooms (didn't matter to me anyway as mine was stolen the first night, but the other guys were constantly complaining about it and having to go down to the street to get any reception on their phones.)

- the pillows are terrible. They are more like throw pilows for a couch, tiny and not comfortable at all. Also the linens appeared to have been bought from the local Target, not exactly 4 star quality.

- any place where you feel like an inconvenience to someone doing their job is not a place where I would stay again. I do not mean to paint their entire staff with this brush, but it would be generous to say that 5% of the staff we had to deal with showed a genuine concern for our situation. The valets were by far the best part of their staff, and they probably make the least money!

- the pool is nothing to write home about. Very limited seating that fills up early in the morning, and it closes at 6 pm everyday which I found a bit odd.

- the phones do not dial out. When you use the method the lady at the front desk you inconvience by calling down there recommends, you call 911, and they don't like that too much.

- they kept telling us that is not uncommon for them to have "door pushers" in their hotel. Guests that check in and then go through the hotel, pushing doors to see if their open then stealing anything of value from the rooms. We were staying on the 39th floor in one of their upper end suites. You have to show a room key to get past the security guard by the elevators. Every time we left the room after that first night, we made sure the door closed, then we tried "pushing" it open. Not a chance those things are going to budge. The only way into our room was with a key card, which leads me to the conclusion that they have people on their staff that will steal from guests. We were not provided with any other answers so I am coming up with my own.

14 of us went down, not one of us will ever spend another penny at this place. EVER!! Do yourself a favor and stay anywhere but this place.

33 Thank Bill1485
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Elara by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
I sincerely apologize that you had items stolen out of your room. We do make every effort to try and ensure that guests and their belongings are safe. For the security of the hotel we do provide each room with a dead bolt, night latches and a safe to store personal belongings. If you would like to contact me directly at dgeorge@hgvc.com with the details surrounding your reservation and I will ensure that we follow up with every detail of your post.

Dana George
AGM – Customer Service
Scottsdale, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Tried to book a room and had the worst customer service in my travel history. They ended up charging my card without permission. Major issues at this hotel and their front office and reservations. While I was in Vegas (staying at the Palazzo.....awesome place), went to see this place and SO many better options in Vegas. Stay away....

7 Thank Bailey3305
I would like to take a moment to apologize and make an attempt to correct the issues you had with your stay. Please contact me at dgeorge@hgvc.com so I can look into it for you. There is nothing more disappointing and frustrating when there are billing issues and it is not the perception I want you to be left with for the property.

Dana George
AGM – Customer Service
Arlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We had a group of 18 meeting in Las Vegas over Memorial Day weekend. Some stayed in our hotel and others stayed near including the main tower of Planet Hollywood. I would stay here again in a hear beat. People note that the hotel is a party hotel and I say true, but I think all hotels are in Las Vegas and if your looking for a low key hotel you might want to stay off the strip.

Our room – we had a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom on the 36th floor. The room had to be 1,400 square feet. The kitchen had everything you could want. The living room had a large sectional sofa and dinning bar along with 2 arm chairs. All 18 of us came back to my room for a drink and we all could hang out comfortably. The power shades roll down over the wall of windows in all rooms. The one in the living room turned into a 100-inch projection screen. The bellman showed us a way to undo the 3mm headphone jack from the wall to plug in your iPod to listen to the music though the sound box. The 2nd bedroom had a dishwasher, fridge, another pull out sofa and full bath. The master had a huge double spa tub and a stall shower along with a combo washer/dryer. The room was very nice but the finishes were starting to wear. The hotel may need a refresh in about 4-5 years. We slept well and could not hear anyone in adjacent units.

The Hotel – Yes, you don’t have a casino and it is a younger crowd but it is a short walk through the mall to go inside the Planet Hollywood casino or go to the strip and hit others. We did not go to the pool as the pool was very packed and I like to be served and not wait in line. I could see from my room that the pool bar was 5-deep and I had cocktails in the room. Walgreens is right outside the hotel and sells everything you could want to stock the kitchen.

Location – Perfect, we had dinner at Paris, show at Bellagio and shopped at all over and it was all very accessible to the hotel. Parking is free.

There was nothing to dislike about the hotel, location, size, and quality. Not sure what you can find wrong. We ran out of toilette paper once but we called housekeeping and they delivered in 3-minutes. I would stay here again and I am sure you will enjoy it also.

1 Thank TravelAsYouGo
Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband and I were in Vegas at the Elara in May 2012. The property is very hip and modern inside and the room was great.
The check-in was crazy as we arrived on a Saturday night and there was no place to park the car while we went in to check-in. Once we got checked in and figured the parking situation out, it was OK, but they really need better signage out front.
The room, we stayed in the 2 bed, 2 bath room with a full kitchen was really great. It had a large projector that my husband watched a concert on one night.
The sound proofing on the bathroom side was terrible. It was pretty quiet the first 5 nights but we left on Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend and the last 2 nights we had a very noisy group next door and it was like they were in our unit it was so loud at times.
The kitchen was sadly equipped and had only the bare minimum. I know most people are not cooking when they go to Vegas but we are near vegetarians so it hard to eat all of our meals out.
Speaking of eating out, we love Chipotle and eat there often when we go to Vegas. There is one across from the Mirage in with a pizza place and a Panda Express which is all downstairs from the McDonalds. There is also one in Fashion Show Mall and one down by the Premium Outlet Mall South. Yum!
The pool was a big disappointment. The water was so cold it was like a polar bear dip. Also, there was no shade, they had no umbrellas. I have never seen that before as every place we have ever stayed had umbrellas at the pool. It was over 100 degrees while we were there so shade would have been nice. Also, the pool was very small and very shallow.
While we like the room and the location, we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher is better and facing the strip.
3 Thank Prairiebear
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Our first stay at this property. Received an upgrade to upper floor suites. The room was beautiful, the view even better. If you are offered an upgrade, take it, it's worth it. The room was very clean.
To get to the hotel, you walk through a mall. Parking is free, but a little out of the way.

1 Thank WashingtonUnitedFan
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

this was the best hotel i have ever stayed in the room`s where out of this world and so very clean,checking the staff could not be more helpful and great thing they knew how wrecked we where after 16 hours of travelling,when ya walk out of reception your in the miracle mile and that`s something to be seen everything you want is there food shopping bars and of best of all Planet Hollywood Casino its all there and when you walk out of the casino your in the middle of the strip and its out of this world your in the heart of Vegas,The only thing that was a problem was the lifts where not all working but with 12 lifts it`s not a problem,

1 Thank DerekC4